In at Chicago!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kretzy

Re: In at Chicago!

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 pm

violaboy wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
dakatz wrote:Does Chicago offer a travel stipend for the ASW?

$200. Only for airfare, and they need receipts.

Just saw that too. Penn needs receipts too. That will be just fine. That makes going there incredibly affordable.

Yeah, I bought 4 one ways (DEN-NYC, NYC-CHI, CHI-SFO, SFO-DEN) and should be able to get reimbursed by all 4 schools I'm visiting. Makes the trip free.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Yeah, as of now, just visiting Chicago and Penn and both reimburse $200. I had money saved up anyways, so this makes it even more affordable.

washingtonian

Postby washingtonian » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:47 pm

washingtonian wrote:
i hope this isn't a stupid question.... what happens if you submit Need Access late? or can you just not submit after Feb. 1 at all? I didn't realize Chicago had this deadline... just got in, which I completely didn't expect, and now I'm freaking out about aid.

I had the exact same issue. I didn't expect to get in and figured that no financial aid documents could possibly be due this early. So I was shocked to see this Feb 1st deadline on their site. So I dug around and found that they accept NeedAccess forms after Feb 1st, but only as long as need-based scholarship funds are available. I'm sure those who submit soon after the deadline will be ok, but I wouldn't wait too long, because I'm sure these need-based scholarship funds dry up quickly.

thanks very much for this information! i submitted this morning, so hopefully it works out OK.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Gunnh.... every time I see a new post in this thread, I think someone has received their financial aid email. Stop giving me all these false positives, guys!!

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:49 pm

ClemCarter wrote:Gunnh.... every time I see a new post in this thread, I think someone has received their financial aid email. Stop giving me all these false positives, guys!!

Ok, I'll stop.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Kretzy wrote:

Uhhh... that's not entirely accurate...

Air, train, or bus travel: You will need to submit an original airline, train, or bus receipt to the Admissions Office that includes the amount of the charge and that indicates you were charged for the amount.

Gas mileage: If you drive more than 150 miles to campus, we will reimburse you for mileage if you submit a gasoline receipt from a gas station in your starting city (the receipt must have the name of the gas station, city, and state on it). We will typically reimburse you for double the amount.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Kretzy wrote:
violaboy wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

Just saw that too. Penn needs receipts too. That will be just fine. That makes going there incredibly affordable.

Yeah, I bought 4 one ways (DEN-NYC, NYC-CHI, CHI-SFO, SFO-DEN) and should be able to get reimbursed by all 4 schools I'm visiting. Makes the trip free.

Well played, sir. Well played.

Does NU offer travel reimbursement as well? My roundtrip to Chicago cost ~300 but with reimbursement from Chicago and NU, I might be able to get out of this without spending a dime.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:53 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

Air, train, or bus travel: You will need to submit an original airline, train, or bus receipt to the Admissions Office that includes the amount of the charge and that indicates you were charged for the amount.

Gas mileage: If you drive more than 150 miles to campus, we will reimburse you for mileage if you submit a gasoline receipt from a gas station in your starting city (the receipt must have the name of the gas station, city, and state on it). We will typically reimburse you for double the amount.

Should've said travel. For my own purposes, it's airfare. There's no top law school within 1000 miles of my current location :)

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:54 pm

washingtonian wrote:washingtonian wrote:
i hope this isn't a stupid question.... what happens if you submit Need Access late? or can you just not submit after Feb. 1 at all? I didn't realize Chicago had this deadline... just got in, which I completely didn't expect, and now I'm freaking out about aid.

I had the exact same issue. I didn't expect to get in and figured that no financial aid documents could possibly be due this early. So I was shocked to see this Feb 1st deadline on their site. So I dug around and found that they accept NeedAccess forms after Feb 1st, but only as long as need-based scholarship funds are available. I'm sure those who submit soon after the deadline will be ok, but I wouldn't wait too long, because I'm sure these need-based scholarship funds dry up quickly.

thanks very much for this information! i submitted this morning, so hopefully it works out OK.

I called the financial aid office this morning and I told her I submitted the NeedAccess on 2/6, because I wasn't admitted until 2/5. I asked if submitting it after the Feb 1st deadline would hurt my chances at need-based aid. She specifically told me that the Feb 1st deadline doesn't apply to me if I was admitted on 2/5 because it wasn't expected that I file anything before admitted.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:56 pm

dakatz wrote:

I called the financial aid office this morning and I told her I submitted the NeedAccess on 2/6, because I wasn't admitted until 2/5. I asked if submitting it after the Feb 1st deadline would hurt my chances at need-based aid. She specifically told me that the Feb 1st deadline doesn't apply to me if I was admitted on 2/5 because it wasn't expected that I file anything before admitted.

Did they menton anything about sending out financial aid decisions today??? :D

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Kretzy wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

Should've said travel. For my own purposes, it's airfare. There's no top law school within 1000 miles of my current location :)

I hope that by this you mean you're currently burrowed 1,050 miles beneath the surface of the Earth, or something similarly badass.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Nah. Didn't even think to ask since I was only admitted a few days ago.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:00 pm

dakatz wrote:

I'm glad they're not dicking you out of need-based aid, but it's weird that they're not, given their rationale for the hard Feb. 1st deadline for earlier admits. If they can guarantee full consideration of funds for people like you, then it doesn't seem like the scholarship funds were in danger of running out for earlier admits if they didn't submit their forms by the first.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:01 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:I hope that by this you mean you're currently burrowed 1,050 miles beneath the surface of the Earth, or something similarly badass.

Sadly, no. Just southern Colorado...alas.

Let's go financial aid office! Then we can stop this inanity and start loving you more.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:03 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:I'm glad they're not dicking you out of need-based aid, but it's weird that they're not, given their rationale for the hard Feb. 1st deadline for earlier admits. If they can guarantee full consideration of funds for people like you, then it doesn't seem like the scholarship funds were in danger of running out for earlier admits if they didn't submit their forms by the first.

Maybe they allocate a certain amount for each "stage" of the cycle.

Also, hearing back about financial aid today would be awesome. Come on, Chicago!

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Looks like the financial aid release has turned into a repeat of the admitted students view-book.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Was anybody else planning on going to the admitted student day on Wednesday? My flight to Chicago was just cancelled, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do now...

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Did anyone else get the Financial Aid email from NYU and freak out thinking it was your chicago offer?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:42 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Did anyone else get the Financial Aid email from NYU and freak out thinking it was your chicago offer?

Lol yes, I also got one from CLS today too.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:07 pm

According to the UChicago switchboard, the FInancial Aid Department is closed for the day..

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:08 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:According to the UChicago switchboard, the FInancial Aid Department is closed for the day..

Weak sauce.

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Lame.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:24 pm

UChicago actually started sending out our financial aid packages ten years ago*. Yes, they've been monitoring our study habits, familial backgrounds, and personal finances all very closely for the past 15 years, and were able to determine early on that we were going to get in.

*But they won't finish sending out packages until this June, and nobody except one (probably fictitious) person will get theirs before then.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm

So has anyone actually received their finaid package yet?

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:58 pm

ontologyfail wrote:So has anyone actually received their finaid package yet?

On the t14 $$$$ thread, someone said that they called the financial aid office and packages won't be sent out until Friday the 12th.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”