In at Chicago! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kretzy

Silver

Re: In at Chicago!

Post by Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 pm

psychomohel wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:So has anyone actually received their finaid package yet?
On the t14 $$$$ thread, someone said that they called the financial aid office and packages won't be sent out until Friday the 12th.
Sadness. But honestly, that's still pretty good that they're getting us initial offers in mid-February.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:09 pm

I still need to do my FAFSA... I need to get on that.

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:11 pm

psychomohel wrote:
On the t14 $$$$ thread, someone said that they called the financial aid office and packages won't be sent out until Friday the 12th.
Isn't it strange that last Thursday the financial aid director said offers would probably start going out the next day... and now it's going to be at least a week later?

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:12 pm

hiro86 wrote:
psychomohel wrote:
Isn't it strange that last Thursday the financial aid director said offers would probably start going out the next day... and now it's going to be at least a week later?
They went paperless this year and that might be slowing them down. Maybe they haven't worked out all the glitches.

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:23 pm

hiro86 wrote:
psychomohel wrote:
Yeah, but she also essentially told a huge group of people, 'hey! if you think standard finaid forms will churn out a higher student contribution than you think is fair, write me a long explanation of how we can uniquely assess your situation.' I'm assuming that resulted in a large number of emails. Furthermore, if they are actually taking such things into consideration and are working with a fixed amount of money for need based aid, that means they may need to go back and scale down other peoples' awards too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:06 pm

Oh hai guyz!

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Welcome, JGG! It's nice to see someone who obviously really wanted a Chicago acceptance get in.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Oh hai guyz!
congrats!!!!!! :mrgreen:

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello!
:mrgreen:

Still in shock (and need to do my taxes and FAFSA this week), but happy to be here!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 pm

monkeygirl wrote:Hello!
:mrgreen:

Still in shock (and need to do my taxes and FAFSA this week), but happy to be here!
Congrats!

and...
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Oh hai guyz!
Congrats!

Glad to see other folks excited about Chicago :) I fell in love with UofC when my cycle started, and I'm still stoked about getting in.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:46 am

ontologyfail wrote:
hiro86 wrote:
psychomohel wrote:
Yeah, but she also essentially told a huge group of people, 'hey! if you think standard finaid forms will churn out a higher student contribution than you think is fair, write me a long explanation of how we can uniquely assess your situation.' I'm assuming that resulted in a large number of emails. Furthermore, if they are actually taking such things into consideration and are working with a fixed amount of money for need based aid, that means they may need to go back and scale down other peoples' awards too.
This is LAME. Missed the fin-aid chat (was at work) and now I gather that I should be writing some sort of additional addendum in order to have any chance at fin-aid? Soooo don't want to do this, especially knowing how fruitless it is bound to be. How bout this

"Dear Chicago,

I promise I really really really don't have any money! I'm not hiding a secret fortune and I wasn't lying when I told you that no one is giving me any money for school! WHY WON'T YOU JUST BELIEVE ME, I'D NEVER LIE TO YOU, I LOVE YOU GODDAMNIT...

..............Hey Chicago... it's me again... sorry I got mad before, you know I didn't mean it. But I really am super poor and you really are super-expensive. Love always, agentzer0."

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:50 am

agentzer0 wrote:
ontologyfail wrote: Yeah, but she also essentially told a huge group of people, 'hey! if you think standard finaid forms will churn out a higher student contribution than you think is fair, write me a long explanation of how we can uniquely assess your situation.' I'm assuming that resulted in a large number of emails. Furthermore, if they are actually taking such things into consideration and are working with a fixed amount of money for need based aid, that means they may need to go back and scale down other peoples' awards too.
This is LAME. Missed the fin-aid chat (was at work) and now I gather that I should be writing some sort of additional addendum in order to have any chance at fin-aid? Soooo don't want to do this, especially knowing how fruitless it is bound to be. How bout this

"Dear Chicago,

I promise I really really really don't have any money! I'm not hiding a secret fortune and I wasn't lying when I told you that no one is giving me any money for school! WHY WON'T YOU JUST BELIEVE ME, I'D NEVER LIE TO YOU, I LOVE YOU GODDAMNIT...

..............Hey Chicago... it's me again... sorry I got mad before, you know I didn't mean it. But I really am super poor and you really are super-expensive. Love always, agentzer0."

The transcript has been posted online on the admitted students' website.

A couple of people have situations that might actually take more consideration, but for the most part it was people asking about the parental contribution. She said a number of times that unless you are 30+, your parents' information will be taken into account, but then she also kept saying people who thought their situation was unique should write her long explanations. My summary was intended to be much more 'what people heard' than 'what was literally said'. I wouldn't worry about writing in an addendum unless you actually have an unusual situation. It's kinda like softs for admission-a lot of people think that theirs are really great, but they're just average compared to everyone else they're competing against.

natalie123

Bronze

Post by natalie123 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:22 am

hey everyone! i was admitted on friday. so the consensus is that initial aid offers come out in a week or so? is this for everyone, or just earlier admits? congrats to all. by the way, we all had an earthquake this morning in chicago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:07 am

Bought my plane tickets last night. My parents thought that I would be staying with them, but they live way on the north side. Confusion squashed.

captainkirk

New

Post by captainkirk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:20 am

Has anyone been able to get the UChicago Hilton rate? It doesn't seem to be working for me... Where are people planning on staying during ASW?

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:25 am

captainkirk wrote:Has anyone been able to get the UChicago Hilton rate? It doesn't seem to be working for me... Where are people planning on staying during ASW?
You can request to stay with a UChicago student.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:26 am

psychomohel wrote:
captainkirk wrote:Has anyone been able to get the UChicago Hilton rate? It doesn't seem to be working for me... Where are people planning on staying during ASW?
You can request to stay with a UChicago student.
That's what I did too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:28 pm

natalie123 wrote:hey everyone! i was admitted on friday. so the consensus is that initial aid offers come out in a week or so? is this for everyone, or just earlier admits? congrats to all. by the way, we all had an earthquake this morning in chicago.
Congrats! Would you take Chicago (with $) over Yale?

natalie123

Bronze

Post by natalie123 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:14 am

quite possibly. yale would open every door i would ever want opened, and that is HUGE. but as i mentioned somewhere else (now i can't recall), i have close personal ties in chicago, and that's where i want to practice someday. my kids lost their dad two years ago, and i think another change would be difficult for them. the money is going to be a big issue for me regardless. looking at it that way, it makes the darrow look pretty irresistible. then again, law school is only three years, and we could always move back from new haven, with unbelievable opportunities for me in chicago or anywhere.

SIGH. i guess i have to do a lot of talking, thinking and reflecting in order to figure out exactly which move is the best for all three of us. often it's not so clear-cut; wish it was. :roll: life gets complicated when you have kids. be nice to your moms, everyone. :wink: it's a really difficult and often confusing job.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 pm

So anyone actually think we will get Financial Aid stuff today?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:24 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:So anyone actually think we will get Financial Aid stuff today?
I'm not counting on it, but sure hope so.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:25 pm

maggiebre wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:So anyone actually think we will get Financial Aid stuff today?
Me too! Someone should call and ask Financial Aid. I just tried to call and they connected me three times and it went straight to some guys voicemail so I gave up

PS: I dont understand why they told everyone on the chat last friday..?

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:48 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
Me too! Someone should call and ask Financial Aid. I just tried to call and they connected me three times and it went straight to some guys voicemail so I gave up

Maybe they got their Fridays confused. Oh, has anyone who got in last week received a packet in the mail yet? They said it should arrive by the middle of the week, but it doesn't look like they've been too precise on that front either.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:50 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

I had a dream last night that I was hand-delivered my financial aid offer from UofC. It was quite large.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Dont think we will be getting them today.. I just called and they said they dont know when they are going to go out...

It seems like a big mistake on their part to tell us all that they were going out last week

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”