In at Chicago! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
psychomohel

Bronze

In at Chicago!

Post by psychomohel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Surprised nobody had started this yet.

thorntll

Bronze

Re: In at Chicago!

Post by thorntll » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:23 pm

psychomohel wrote:Surprised nobody had started this yet.
Holler.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Chi town is my town! So happy to be on this thread, congrats to all of us so far!

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:16 pm

I am pretty excited about this acceptance as Chicago was pretty high on my list. Does anybody know if they give you a stipend to come to admitted students weekend?

trc332

New

Post by trc332 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Im pretty excited about the timing. I had already scheduled a trip to visit the school in early jan. Now I get to go as an admitted student.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:22 pm

In and super excited! Chicago rocks.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:23 pm

Yes, I read in another thread that they give you a $200 stipend for ASW.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:23 pm

Also very excited to be in! Does anyone know when we would hear about scholarship stuff?

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:28 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Also very excited to be in! Does anyone know when we would hear about scholarship stuff?
I think we get it in the packet we are sent after January 1.

I was totally not expecting to get into Chicago, and so I didn't really take it seriously when I was applying. Once I got the call, I furiously researched the school. For various reasons, it's likely that I will attend. However, I think I've freaked myself out! You know, UChicago's reputation as very serious, intense, etc. Also, they have a reputation for being conservative, and for being more private practice-oriented. Read: everything I'm not! I know that reputations are just that - reputations, but I'm freaked out that I won't fit in and will be miserable. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I should add that I am definitely a nerd, but not a *law* nerd. And I'm not serious... The BF is a stand-up comedian, and we're both pretty ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:42 pm

thorntll wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Also very excited to be in! Does anyone know when we would hear about scholarship stuff?

I was totally not expecting to get into Chicago, and so I didn't really take it seriously when I was applying. Once I got the call, I furiously researched the school. For various reasons, it's likely that I will attend. However, I think I've freaked myself out! You know, UChicago's reputation as very serious, intense, etc. Also, they have a reputation for being conservative, and for being more private practice-oriented. Read: everything I'm not! I know that reputations are just that - reputations, but I'm freaked out that I won't fit in and will be miserable. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I should add that I am definitely a nerd, but not a *law* nerd. And I'm not serious... The BF is a stand-up comedian, and we're both pretty ridiculous.
My friend is a 3L right now, and she was a typical Seattle liberal and totally laid back, and she's definitely happy with her choice. But I do sometimes get the impression from her is that the social scene is a bit like high school in a way. The student body is small, so it can be gossipy/drama-esque. Plus there's even a law prom, but I think a lot of schools have those. This aside, the professors are great, the students are all really smart/sociable, and the career opportunities are incredible.

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:50 pm

Does anyone know if car is necessary in Chicago? They seem to have good public transit, but I've never been there.

Rose Tyler

New

Post by Rose Tyler » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:52 pm

psychomohel wrote:Does anyone know if car is necessary in Chicago? They seem to have good public transit, but I've never been there.
I had one when I lived in Chicago, b/c I love my car, but definitely not necessary. You have the 'L' and buses to get you pretty much everywhere

applecore

New

Post by applecore » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:06 am

:x
Last edited by applecore on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:20 am

o/

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:16 am

thorntll wrote:

Take solace in the fact that there will be at least one other person like you at Chicago next year: me!

And I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm not worrying about it; neither should you. It's gonna be great!

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:18 am

But I do sometimes get the impression from her is that the social scene is a bit like high school in a way. The student body is small, so it can be gossipy/drama-esque.
This is why I don't understand the huge push to live in Regents. So it's already a small school where we'll know everyone's business anyways...maybe it would be better it we didn't also live 5 feet from each other? But maybe I'm just biased because I don't want to live there :lol:

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:12 pm

Last edited by psychomohel on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:52 pm

I wanna join this thread too. Really excited to get into UC and to come out and visit April 8th!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:57 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I wanna join this thread too. Really excited to get into UC and to come out and visit April 8th!
Stanford?
Still pretty set on SLS, but Chicago is one of the only places that I'm still seriously considering. I definitely want to visit as well.

It's hard to let go of what was my (more realistic) top choice coming into the cycle, and that was Chicago.

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm excited to learn more about the law school as well as the city! I haven't done too much research yet. I've only heard "things" from people. Stereotypes, really.

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:50 pm

According to Twitter, the admitted students site should be up this week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Walfredo47

New

Post by Walfredo47 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 pm

For those of you who are in at both UChicago and Boalt, the ASW for both are on the same weekend, correct? I am not positive, but I think that is what Dean Tom said about Boalt. what to do, what to do....

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Walfredo47 wrote:For those of you who are in at both UChicago and Boalt, the ASW for both are on the same weekend, correct? I am not positive, but I think that is what Dean Tom said about Boalt. what to do, what to do....
What weekend is ASW?

And yes, it does feel good to be part of this thread. :D

Walfredo47

New

Post by Walfredo47 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
Walfredo47 wrote:For those of you who are in at both UChicago and Boalt, the ASW for both are on the same weekend, correct? I am not positive, but I think that is what Dean Tom said about Boalt. what to do, what to do....
What weekend is ASW?

And yes, it does feel good to be part of this thread. :D
April 8-10.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm

Got my Admitted Students' Website username and password!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”