In at Chicago! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kronk

Diamond

Re: In at Chicago!

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 pm

tintin wrote:
JohnYuu wrote:Hey check this site out: http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm#
It allows you to see recent crimes. There have been two separate shootings like one block away from the law school within the past coupe weeks (doesn't appear that anyone died, but still). There have also been tons of random less serious crimes. Can some current Chicago students or anyone from Chicago elaborate on exactly how bad it is and what boundaries should be drawn (for choosing apartments etc.). Also, does anyone know if we can get a concealed (or not) handgun permit? I'm thinking it would be pretty easy for a female law student.
uhhhhhhhhhhh ok now im scared. i dont want to get shot!
My friend who went to UofC undergrad the last four years said that the "dangers" in Hyde Park are blown totally out of proportion and that you have to be doing something stupid in order to be involved in one of the sketchy situations.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Kronk wrote:
tintin wrote:
JohnYuu wrote:Hey check this site out: http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm#
It allows you to see recent crimes. There have been two separate shootings like one block away from the law school within the past coupe weeks (doesn't appear that anyone died, but still). There have also been tons of random less serious crimes. Can some current Chicago students or anyone from Chicago elaborate on exactly how bad it is and what boundaries should be drawn (for choosing apartments etc.). Also, does anyone know if we can get a concealed (or not) handgun permit? I'm thinking it would be pretty easy for a female law student.
uhhhhhhhhhhh ok now im scared. i dont want to get shot!
My friend who went to UofC undergrad the last four years said that the "dangers" in Hyde Park are blown totally out of proportion and that you have to be doing something stupid in order to be involved in one of the sketchy situations.
that is what people who live in bad neighborhoods ALWAYS say.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:15 pm

IAFG wrote:that is what people who live in bad neighborhoods ALWAYS say.
And it's always true. hth

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Kronk wrote:
to be fair, the town where i used to live had at least a couple shootings very near to me every year. one halloween four people got stabbed. but i never felt unsafe there.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:21 pm

tintin wrote:
Kronk wrote:
to be fair, the town where i used to live had at least a couple shootings very near to me every year. one halloween four people got stabbed. but i never felt unsafe there.
So we agree? Haha. Yeah I have spent a lot of time in the neighborhoods around USC, which is considered as bad / worse than Hyde Park.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:21 pm

Kronk wrote: My friend who went to UofC undergrad the last four years said that the "dangers" in Hyde Park are blown totally out of proportion and that you have to be doing something stupid in order to be involved in one of the sketchy situations.
I used to live in Hyde Park. "Stupid" things to do under this definition could include walking to your car during the daytime if you are parked on a side street or making eye contact with someone who doesn't want you to.

Chances are, you won't get shot or mugged, but let's not pretend that Hyde Park is totally safe or that people who are victims of crime are somehow to blame for being stupid enough to believe that they should be able to go about their business without someone harassing or assaulting them.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:26 pm

skynet wrote:
Kronk wrote: My friend who went to UofC undergrad the last four years said that the "dangers" in Hyde Park are blown totally out of proportion and that you have to be doing something stupid in order to be involved in one of the sketchy situations.
I used to live in Hyde Park. "Stupid" things to do under this definition could include walking to your car during the daytime if you are parked on a side street or making eye contact with someone who doesn't want you to.

Chances are, you won't get shot or mugged, but let's not pretend that Hyde Park is totally safe or that people who are victims of crime are somehow to blame for being stupid enough to believe that they should be able to go about their business without someone harassing or assaulting them.

so is the deal that anyone in hyde park is pretty much equally subject to the same crime risk? I ask because where I used to live, the somewhat high crime rate was due almost entirely to gang violence, and if you weren't involved in it, it wasn't really much of a concern.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:30 pm

tintin wrote:
skynet wrote:

so is the deal that anyone in hyde park is pretty much equally subject to the same crime risk? I ask because where I used to live, the somewhat high crime rate was due almost entirely to gang violence, and if you weren't involved in it, it wasn't really much of a concern.
There are safer and more dangerous sections of Hyde Park, and it is pretty easy to tell the difference. If you are not in a gang, there will probably be no one who wants to shoot you. The bigger danger to a normal person is mugging. Harassment by strangers is also very very common, but more of a nuisance than a danger. In this respect, yes, you can significantly reduce your likelihood of being a victim of crime, but you cannot forget about the possibility the way you might in some other parts of town.

Edit: Your bike will probably get stolen. Buy a cheap one and plan on replacing it once over the course of the three years.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:39 pm

skynet wrote: Edit: Your bike will probably get stolen. Buy a cheap one and plan on replacing it once over the course of the three years.
I was thinking about bringing my (very cheap / crappy) roadbike but isn't it hard to bike in the snow? How does that work? sorry if I sound stupid....I'm from california!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:55 pm

tintin wrote:
skynet wrote: Edit: Your bike will probably get stolen. Buy a cheap one and plan on replacing it once over the course of the three years.
I was thinking about bringing my (very cheap / crappy) roadbike but isn't it hard to bike in the snow? How does that work? sorry if I sound stupid....I'm from california!
It's not hard to bike in the winter in Chicago. The city is great about removing snow from the streets & sidewalks in a timely fashion. I biked to class very often in all different types of weather in Evanston during undergrad.

JohnYuu

New

Post by JohnYuu » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:03 pm

But why is that UChicago seems to have the worst horror stories? There are so many schools located in or near bad areas: Columbia-Harlem, USC-South Central, Penn-Philly or whatever, Cal-Oakland/South Berk, Hastings-Tenderloin... I know people from all of these areas, but those from Chicago seem to convey something totally different from everyone else. Could it be that they are just that much more nerdy/sheltered?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:04 pm

JohnYuu wrote:But why is that UChicago seems to have the worst horror stories? There are so many schools located in or near bad areas: Columbia-Harlem, USC-South Central, Penn-Philly or whatever, Cal-Oakland/South Berk, Hastings-Tenderloin... I know people from all of these areas, but those from Chicago seem to convey something totally different from everyone else. Could it be that they are just that much more nerdy/sheltered?
Harlem is awesome.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Harlem is awesome. Not to mention that the area around USC has some amazing restaurants.

But South Central and the area around USC is considered far worse than Hyde Park. It just doesn't get as much attention on this site because USC isn't nearly the law school that UChicago is. I'm sure statistically there is much more crime in South Central.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:09 pm

JohnYuu wrote:But why is that UChicago seems to have the worst horror stories? There are so many schools located in or near bad areas: Columbia-Harlem, USC-South Central, Penn-Philly or whatever, Cal-Oakland/South Berk, Hastings-Tenderloin... I know people from all of these areas, but those from Chicago seem to convey something totally different from everyone else. Could it be that they are just that much more nerdy/sheltered?
the area of harlem that CLS is in is actually really nice, and West Philly doesn't get bad until you cross a bridge going west of Penn. most people live east of the bridge or in the first building after it, so they don't see the sketch either. with Chi your only option is to live 30 minutes away or right in the middle of it.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Eh, maybe it's because of my background, but I far prefer areas like South Central to areas like Westwood. Or Hyde Park to Evanston. And the area of the city where CLS is might be the most beautiful part of the city. Pretty much the whole reason that I kept saying I would go to CLS over HLS.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

From page 44 of the "Chicago 2010" thread:
Kronk wrote:Just got in also. No way I attend. I like t-shirts too much.
(scurries out before cries of hypocrisy)

JohnYuu

New

Post by JohnYuu » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Well then maybe it is not the area itself but the proximity of the rough area to the school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:18 pm

crackberry wrote:From page 44 of the "Chicago 2010" thread:
Awww fuck off fratboy. *shrugs* hadn't researched the school enough. I still prefer the Bay Area, obviously, and probably NYC as well. But talking to the profs there changed my mind, and I didn't think when I wrote that I would be getting scholarship monies.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:From page 44 of the "Chicago 2010" thread:
Awww fuck off fratboy. *shrugs* hadn't researched the school enough. I still prefer the Bay Area, obviously, and probably NYC as well. But talking to the profs there changed my mind, and I didn't think when I wrote that I would be getting scholarship monies.
I know, I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm just as guilty of this as you are.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 pm

crackberry wrote: I know, I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm just as guilty of this as you are.
In the case of what school? Yale?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:29 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote: I know, I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm just as guilty of this as you are.
Yeah when I got into Stanford, I said something to the tune of "I can withdraw from every other school now" (which I have not done ... check page 12-13 of Stanford 2010 thread for proof), and I used to say I was Stanford 95 percent, Yale 5 percent and now its closer to 60/40 in Yale's favor.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:37 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Yeah when I got into Stanford, I said something to the tune of "I can withdraw from every other school now" (which I have not done ... check page 12-13 of Stanford 2010 thread for proof), and I used to say I was Stanford 95 percent, Yale 5 percent and now its closer to 60/40 in Yale's favor.
I think that's probably the best decision.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Kronk wrote:I think that's probably the best decision.
What is? Yale > Stanford?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:44 pm

crackberry wrote:
Yeah.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Yeah.
Would you do it if the GF weren't in the picture?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”