In at Chicago! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jsarna1

New

Re: In at Chicago!

Post by jsarna1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

i like chicago's housing better because i wouldn't have to fly out, i could just do the grad apartments, but obviously that is a small concern hahaha
If you're shooting for academia, you should probably go to Chicago, unless your preference for Penn's "feel" was overwhelming. But keep in mind that the difference in atmosphere between Chicago and Penn might be indicative of the difference in atmosphere between an academic job and "real world" one. Depending on what it was about Penn that made you like it more, you might find that you like the academy less than you thought.
yeah, i did like penn's feel more, their community seemed happier and their lambda program is huge..which is important for me...they also have a lot of profs studying what i want to go into (sexual orientation stuff) which isn't the case at chicago, they pretty much only have nussbaum. and interdisciplinary opportunities seem better at penn, which with lgbt stuff is pretty important. but obviously chicagos placement for academics is like way better. so im torn.
I would say you'll want to go somewhere that you will enjoy for 3 years. Academia is really difficult to break into, even if you go to Chicago you have no guarantees. I definitely agree with JSMill that you may want to get a feel for that atmosphere. Obviously both schools are amazing, so you can't really go wrong, but if you have money considerations or just a feel preference, you may want to weigh those factors.

cyh

Bronze

Post by cyh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:06 am

on LSN someone just updated 9 min ago... http://lawschoolnumbers.com/swampthang/jd

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 am

Sorry if anyone has already posted about this (don't want to wade through 30 pgs), but does Chicago negotiate? Just got my CLS financial aid award (and am sitting on $ at Mich and $$ at Duke, though not sure if Chicago considers them peers).

ilovelamp18

Bronze

Post by ilovelamp18 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 am

cyh wrote:on LSN someone just updated 9 min ago... http://lawschoolnumbers.com/swampthang/jd
Unfortunately I'm not sure how much this helps those of us desperately hoping for some new info... unless of course swampthing has received decisions from half the good schools in the country in the last 2 days.

I'm with you though in hoping Chicago decided today is a good day to accept people.

cyh

Bronze

Post by cyh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 am

ilovelamp18 wrote:
cyh wrote:on LSN someone just updated 9 min ago... http://lawschoolnumbers.com/swampthang/jd
Unfortunately I'm not sure how much this helps those of us desperately hoping for some new info... unless of course swampthing has received decisions from half the good schools in the country in the last 2 days.

I'm with you though in hoping Chicago decided today is a good day to accept people.

I know its a new profile :lol: :shock: duh.
I just noticed that most of the schools were added/updated within the last two days, versus Chicago was this morning.

perhaps good interpretation of details ..... or just desperate hope :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:08 am

parker09 wrote:Sorry if anyone has already posted about this (don't want to wade through 30 pgs), but does Chicago negotiate? Just got my CLS financial aid award (and am sitting on $ at Mich and $$ at Duke, though not sure if Chicago considers them peers).
In short, no. I spoke to a lot of people at ASW who had no luck trying to get Chicago to play ball. My personal experience would suggest that even if you have $ from a peer school Chicago is not likely to care very much. I had a pretty tough time of it and was surprised to find out that I was not alone. Everyone's unique however, so I would still suggest trying, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. One of the first things they will say is that they don't match and they will try to gauge your level of interest. If you plan to use Chicago to negotiate someone else up then I would strongly suggest against it. Either way good luck. I hope that you are able to crack the bank, where others before you came up dry.

ilovelamp18

Bronze

Post by ilovelamp18 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:13 am

I know its a new profile :lol: :shock: duh.
I just noticed that most of the schools were added/updated within the last two days, versus Chicago was this morning.

perhaps good interpretation of details ..... or just desperate hope :wink:[/quote]
desperate hope has become one of my closer friends in the last couple weeks. come on Chicago :!:

cyh

Bronze

Post by cyh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:14 am

ilovelamp18 wrote:I know its a new profile :lol: :shock: duh.

perhaps good interpretation of details ..... or just desperate hope :wink:
desperate hope has become one of my closer friends in the last couple weeks. come on Chicago :!:[/quote]

+1 (as I reach for your hand, we'll do this together) :cry:

ilovelamp18

Bronze

Post by ilovelamp18 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:37 am

+1 (as I reach for your hand, we'll do this together) :cry:[/quote]

I was under the impression we werent allowed to make friends in this process... this is a refreshing turn of sentiments.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cyh

Bronze

Post by cyh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:38 am

ilovelamp18 wrote:+1 (as I reach for your hand, we'll do this together) :cry:
I was under the impression we werent allowed to make friends in this process... this is a refreshing turn of sentiments.[/quote]
:D :) :P

cyh

Bronze

Post by cyh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:47 am

Every time my phone vibrates, I get so anxious. I scramble for the phone, praying that is Dean Perry on the other end!

... But its just my mom :roll:

:oops:

ilovelamp18

Bronze

Post by ilovelamp18 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:42 pm

cyh wrote:Every time my phone vibrates, I get so anxious. I scramble for the phone, praying that is Dean Perry on the other end!

... But its just my mom :roll:

:oops:
I understand... just got a call from a phone number my phone didn't recognize and it was a telemarketer. You'd think I could eventually stop pretending they are going to call me from some random area code. Like Dean Perry is going to ask a passing student for their Memphis cell phone to fool me when the number pops up.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:16 am

Rand M. wrote:
parker09 wrote:Sorry if anyone has already posted about this (don't want to wade through 30 pgs), but does Chicago negotiate? Just got my CLS financial aid award (and am sitting on $ at Mich and $$ at Duke, though not sure if Chicago considers them peers).
In short, no. I spoke to a lot of people at ASW who had no luck trying to get Chicago to play ball. My personal experience would suggest that even if you have $ from a peer school Chicago is not likely to care very much. I had a pretty tough time of it and was surprised to find out that I was not alone. Everyone's unique however, so I would still suggest trying, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. One of the first things they will say is that they don't match and they will try to gauge your level of interest. If you plan to use Chicago to negotiate someone else up then I would strongly suggest against it. Either way good luck. I hope that you are able to crack the bank, where others before you came up dry.
Follow-up: Sent them my CLS and Mich offers. Was flatly rejected by Karla Vargas, in two blunt sentences. The way they've handled finaid this cycle (not meeting their own self-imposed notification deadlines, etc) has been pretty unimpressive.

At least the response was... prompt?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:27 am

parker09 wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
Follow-up: Sent them my CLS and Mich offers. Was flatly rejected by Karla Vargas, in two blunt sentences. The way they've handled finaid this cycle (not meeting their own self-imposed notification deadlines, etc) has been pretty unimpressive.

That is not as bad as NYU. I sent them my chicago offer and it took them over a month to flatly reject me in two sentences.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:26 pm

parker09 wrote:
Rand M. wrote:

They refused to budge with 3x the money from Stanford on the table. It doesn't seem like they've been matching anything.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Kretzy wrote: They refused to budge with 3x the money from Stanford on the table. It doesn't seem like they've been matching anything.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much, and I'm okay with it -- was worth a shot, though.

Also, a belated congrats on stanford + $$$! Totes jealous.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 pm

parker09 wrote:
Kretzy wrote: They refused to budge with 3x the money from Stanford on the table. It doesn't seem like they've been matching anything.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much, and I'm okay with it -- was worth a shot, though.

Also, a belated congrats on stanford + $$$! Totes jealous.
Thanks :) Financial aid stuff is capricious, so I'm very, very thankful. Good luck making your final decision (if it's CLS) and best of luck on the waitlists!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:43 pm

that was pretty much how she was with me. i was very unimpressed with her, after meeting her in person and after trying to get $$ from chicago. penn was so much nicer about turning me down for $$.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Karla is... blunt. She doesn't use much tact. I don't think she tries to be rude, but it kinda comes off that way.

Anyways, I've heard that they don't match offers.. but they will give some extra money if you have a competing offer and you show genuine interest in attending.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:37 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Karla is... blunt. She doesn't use much tact. I don't think she tries to be rude, but it kinda comes off that way.

Anyways, I've heard that they don't match offers.. but they will give some extra money if you have a competing offer and you show genuine interest in attending.
This is true. Also, I don't think they'll really reconsider big offers for them (75k+) very often. When I spoke with Karla, she said that even 60k was a big offer for Chicago and thus hard to get renegotiated. I would assume the 21k, 30k, and 45k people might have better luck.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Kronk wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Karla is... blunt. She doesn't use much tact. I don't think she tries to be rude, but it kinda comes off that way.

This is true. Also, I don't think they'll really reconsider big offers for them (75k+) very often. When I spoke with Karla, she said that even 60k was a big offer for Chicago and thus hard to get renegotiated. I would assume the 21k, 30k, and 45k people might have better luck.
I tried with $37.5k from CLS and $45k from Mich, and added that any bit of money would be nice... but alas.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”