In at Chicago! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Fancy Pants

Bronze

Re: In at Chicago!

Post by Fancy Pants » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:12 pm

tintin wrote:
ChaotiCait wrote:Hey guys, I know everyone was bemoaning the electric stoves in Regents earlier, but I talked to another person who lives there and they say they have gas. Maybe not all hope is lost for you top chefs?
god i HATE electric stoves. does anyone know if the grad housing apartments have gas or electric stoves? or does it depend on building?
I'm guessing it depends on the building since they're pretty different as far as the facilities go (and even which utilities are included).

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:06 pm

here's another question I have, in general for all you guys on the east coast. when i stayed in chicago and new york, both hotel rooms had radiators for the heat and they made these HORRIBLE loud noises at night, like someone was banging on the pipes. do all radiators do this?? if so how do people ever get any sleep??

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:18 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:Hey guys, I know everyone was bemoaning the electric stoves in Regents earlier, but I talked to another person who lives there and they say they have gas. Maybe not all hope is lost for you top chefs?
Thanks for the info! I don't remember why I thought they had electric stoves. That still leaves ridiculous parking rates and the need to find a roommate, so I'll probably end up somewhere else. This would be so much easier if I could go to ASW.

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:04 pm

tintin wrote:here's another question I have, in general for all you guys on the east coast. when i stayed in chicago and new york, both hotel rooms had radiators for the heat and they made these HORRIBLE loud noises at night, like someone was banging on the pipes. do all radiators do this?? if so how do people ever get any sleep??
The radiator in my dorm room does that. It's awful, it sounds like demons and monsters and wild beasts are trapped within and trying to escape!

But: I (and my friends) became accustomed to it surprisingly quickly. It's a bit shocking at first but soon becomes just like any other background noise.

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:00 am

ontologyfail wrote:
Thanks for the info! I don't remember why I thought they had electric stoves. That still leaves ridiculous parking rates and the need to find a roommate, so I'll probably end up somewhere else. This would be so much easier if I could go to ASW.

I visited this past weekend, and the leasing manager told me that every apartment has an electric stove.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:15 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:

I visited this past weekend, and the leasing manager told me that every apartment has an electric stove.
I can sort of confirm this: each of the three rooms I toured at Regents had an electric stove.

But remember that the popular alternative, New Grad, has community kitchens. :cry:

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Is Regents furnished?

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:16 am

IAFG wrote:
Core wrote:
muahawhawhaw wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Damn, Core. I get the idea that you're buggin' out from all this. Drink a Summer Shandy and enjoy the weather today. I'm glad your decision has been made easier.

(But Chicago? Relaxed? idk)
Yeah, I'm a tad skeptical as well, esp after TinTin's report re. his visit.
I spoke to a number of current students and alums, and they all basically said it's not cuttthroat or adversarial, and that it's only competitive in the sense that everyone wants to do well (not that people steal books, refuse to help each other out, etc.). But idk. We'll see come ASW.
i don't get this reasoning at all. how much can you really learn at an ASW? obviously the school will show you what they want you to see, but beyond that, how can you know if that weekend would really be representative of your experience?
My buddy is a 2L at Chicago, and confirmed that the school does not have a cutthroat atmosphere.

hesitantstyle

New

Post by hesitantstyle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:02 am

tintin wrote:here's another question I have, in general for all you guys on the east coast. when i stayed in chicago and new york, both hotel rooms had radiators for the heat and they made these HORRIBLE loud noises at night, like someone was banging on the pipes. do all radiators do this?? if so how do people ever get any sleep??
There were radiators in my UG dorms that made these noises, but these were old buildings in need of renovation. You get used to it, though. I never woke up in the middle of the night because of the pipes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:Is Regents furnished?
nope. It is a really nice place to live, however. I wasn't really planning on living there prior to seeing it b/c of cost and stuff like that, but after seeing it I was sold. and it turns out if you get a roommate rent isn't bad at all. sending in my application really soon.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Is anyone planning to go to the "Day in the Life" program next Wednesday? It's the earliest I was able to plan a visit.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:23 pm

okay guys. i need to decide between chicago or penn. HELP?

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 pm

emrose wrote:Is anyone planning to go to the "Day in the Life" program next Wednesday? It's the earliest I was able to plan a visit.
I wish I was going; I want to go back. It's so strange being back at my UG with my unimpressive teachers and my even less impressive peers. I love my school, but I love my next school even more. A month until graduation and then I will have a one track mind. I hope you enjoy it when you visit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:56 pm

tintin wrote:okay guys. i need to decide between chicago or penn. HELP?
What do you want to do with your law degree?

mochafury

Bronze

Post by mochafury » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:04 pm

emrose wrote:Is anyone planning to go to the "Day in the Life" program next Wednesday? It's the earliest I was able to plan a visit.
Yay company; I'm going to this.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 pm

mochafury wrote:
Nice. I'll be in Chicago from Tuesday through Friday. Staying in the downtown area though.

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm

emrose wrote:
mochafury wrote:
Nice. I'll be in Chicago from Tuesday through Friday. Staying in the downtown area though.
Way to not go to the one I did.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
emrose wrote:
mochafury wrote:
Way to not go to the one I did.
:cry:

I was BUSY!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:36 pm

emrose wrote:
How are you liking it, Emma?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:42 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
not biglaw, i would love to go into academia, with gov/nonprofit work a close second. i liked the feel of penn more when i visited, and they have done an excellent job of reaching out to me to try and convince me to go. the things that worry me about it (that would be less of an issue at chicago) is obviously the placement in academia, and the placement on the west coast..bascially chicago just seems to have better job placement in general...

i like chicago's housing better because i wouldn't have to fly out, i could just do the grad apartments, but obviously that is a small concern hahaha

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
emrose wrote:
Next Tuesday through Friday. :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:06 pm

emrose wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
emrose wrote:
Next Tuesday through Friday. :oops:
Well get there already! You need to get to know the city where you'll be living for the next 3 years, darling.

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:39 pm

tintin wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:
not biglaw, i would love to go into academia, with gov/nonprofit work a close second. i liked the feel of penn more when i visited, and they have done an excellent job of reaching out to me to try and convince me to go. the things that worry me about it (that would be less of an issue at chicago) is obviously the placement in academia, and the placement on the west coast..bascially chicago just seems to have better job placement in general...

i like chicago's housing better because i wouldn't have to fly out, i could just do the grad apartments, but obviously that is a small concern hahaha
If you're shooting for academia, you should probably go to Chicago, unless your preference for Penn's "feel" was overwhelming. But keep in mind that the difference in atmosphere between Chicago and Penn might be indicative of the difference in atmosphere between an academic job and "real world" one. Depending on what it was about Penn that made you like it more, you might find that you like the academy less than you thought.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:56 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
tintin wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:

If you're shooting for academia, you should probably go to Chicago, unless your preference for Penn's "feel" was overwhelming. But keep in mind that the difference in atmosphere between Chicago and Penn might be indicative of the difference in atmosphere between an academic job and "real world" one. Depending on what it was about Penn that made you like it more, you might find that you like the academy less than you thought.
yeah, i did like penn's feel more, their community seemed happier and their lambda program is huge..which is important for me...they also have a lot of profs studying what i want to go into (sexual orientation stuff) which isn't the case at chicago, they pretty much only have nussbaum. and interdisciplinary opportunities seem better at penn, which with lgbt stuff is pretty important. but obviously chicagos placement for academics is like way better. so im torn.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
Well get there already! You need to get to know the city where you'll be living for the next 3 years, darling.
Exactly. Don't forget to go apartment shopping with the wifey!

I think I'm gonna send in my deposit this week. Scary.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”