University of South Carolina!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LadyTarHeelian

Re: University of South Carolina!

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:30 pm

In today with the small envelope in the mail. Says I'm in consideration for merit-based scholarships to be awarded in March. Letter also said that OOS tuition for 2009-2010 was over $38,000 so I sure hope they're generous with the schollies, otherwise it won't be much of an option for me.

makingasnack

Postby makingasnack » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:42 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:In today with the small envelope in the mail. Says I'm in consideration for merit-based scholarships to be awarded in March. Letter also said that OOS tuition for 2009-2010 was over $38,000 so I sure hope they're generous with the schollies, otherwise it won't be much of an option for me.

Same here on 2/3/10. From what I can tell, they pretty much max out their scholly's at $16k per year (though they give them to in-state and OOS). I wouldn't mind going there, but they'd have to give me in-state tuition and that scholly, I think. Anybody know if that ever happens?

boadicea

Postby boadicea » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:56 pm

I applied in Nov and still haven't heard anything...?

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:25 pm

boadicea wrote:I applied in Nov and still haven't heard anything...?

careful calling the admissions office from what i hear

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:27 pm

I called the admissions office to inquire on my application status, the lady was very friendly and told me that a decision was made on my file and blah blah blah, then she says sir please hold. She transferred me to the dean of admissions and she told me I was accepted. So, atleast my experience with calling them was a good one

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

Postby LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:37 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:I called the admissions office to inquire on my application status, the lady was very friendly and told me that a decision was made on my file and blah blah blah, then she says sir please hold. She transferred me to the dean of admissions and she told me I was accepted. So, atleast my experience with calling them was a good one

It was because you got a 179 on the LSAT. The rest of us get treated like crap...

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 pm

no actually 159! 20 pts off

boadicea

Postby boadicea » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:54 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:I called the admissions office to inquire on my application status, the lady was very friendly and told me that a decision was made on my file and blah blah blah, then she says sir please hold. She transferred me to the dean of admissions and she told me I was accepted. So, atleast my experience with calling them was a good one

I'm nervous about calling them. How do they notify? Email or snail mail or both? I moved and my parents have a bad habit of losing my mail.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:00 pm

South Carolina is one of the only schools I haven't heard diddly out of, not even a newsletter, since they confirmed receiving my application in early January.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:56 pm

boadicea wrote:

I'm nervous about calling them. How do they notify? Email or snail mail or both? I moved and my parents have a bad habit of losing my mail.

I got snail, no email.

crockerml

Postby crockerml » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Don't know if this helps anyone very much but I'm attending USouth Carolina in the fall, deferred my acceptance last year and got offered an out of state merit scholarship again this year, even though they said the official notice for all scholarships wouldn't be until early March. Also I've dealt with Susan Palmer through e-mail with all my questions and she's been very timely with responses as well as polite (or at least as polite as one can be over e-mail). If anyone does decide to accept and attend I made a new thread in the Class of 2013 Forum

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:05 pm

when did you get your scholarship notification for this year?

crockerml

Postby crockerml » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:12 pm

I just got an e-mail regarding that I should receive the out of state merit scholarship... Nothing official from the school has been received yet... should be pretty soon though, they said first of march

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 pm

crockerml wrote:I just got an e-mail regarding that I should receive the out of state merit scholarship... Nothing official from the school has been received yet... should be pretty soon though, they said first of march

what does the out of state merit scholarship consist of?

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:58 pm

anyone rsvp for the admitted students day on the 20th? I got the email and thought it was about scholarships, so I was a little let down.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:21 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:anyone rsvp for the admitted students day on the 20th? I got the email and thought it was about scholarships, so I was a little let down.

I went complete on Jan 4 and I haven't heard anything... so I guess I'm going to be SOL on ASD if it is that soon :(

Hodgy

Postby Hodgy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:27 pm

-
Last edited by Hodgy on Mon May 03, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boadicea

Postby boadicea » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Hodgy wrote:I went complete the first week of November and have numbers above the medians and I am out of state, aka more money to them, and I have yet to hear a decision. I called and got the rude staff lady who informed me (this was about a month ago) that my file went back into review, and there weren't any explanations as to their decision-making process with regards to people with lower numbers (non URM) and later application complete dates receiving their letters within a month and I am pushing 5 months now.

+1. I don't remember their medians off the top of my head, but there are several admitted students on LSN with the same stats that I have.

Sclerenchyma

Postby Sclerenchyma » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:58 am

Dinged via small white envelope dated 3/01.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:02 pm

Finally got something from them.

A fat letter telling me they had received my FAFSA info and that I have been selected for financial verification with lots of forms to fill out and send in.

They also require a copy of my 2009 tax return, W2s... etc...

Anybody else have any experience dealing with this? Know what it means? Etc?

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:20 pm

DonnyMost wrote:Finally got something from them.

A fat letter telling me they had received my FAFSA info and that I have been selected for financial verification with lots of forms to fill out and send in.

I was selected all four years for undergrad (across two schools). It's random initially and idk if being selected once for a given degree means you'll be selected until you finish it or if I was just randomly selected each time. FWIW I wasn't selected this time, for law school. (If you look at your SAR, there should be an asterisk next to your EFC. This'll let you know right when you file if you've been selected.)

It won't keep you from getting any loans or anything; it's not a mark against you that you were selected. You just need to fill out the forms. For UG I only had to fill out one form for USC, plus give them my tax returns/W2s (plus my parents', but you shouldn't have to do that). Not sure if the LS has different forms.

bstrunk

Postby bstrunk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:32 pm

DonnyMost wrote:Finally got something from them.

My first piece of correspondence from South Carolina was a thin letter from the office of financial aid stating that I was not currently a degree seeking student at the college (because I had not been admited).

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Called admissions today to inquire about hotels for the admitted students day on the 20th and then slipped the question about scholarships....she said she did not know, since the faculty committee is on spring break and that it will be around middle to late March.

boadicea

Postby boadicea » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:48 pm

I applied around November and haven't heard a thing. I did get two funny letters from them saying they had received my FAFSA info and that it my social security number did not match...aka, I have not been admitted yet. I've seen several people with identical or slightly worse numbers admitted. I don't know what to think!

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:45 pm

anyone hear any scholly information?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”