University of South Carolina!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eandy

Re: University of South Carolina!

Postby eandy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Last edited by eandy on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 am

For those of us who have been waitlisted, it was mentioned in the two-page, waitlist Q&A (included with our waitlist letter & also in the admissions section of the USC website) that the admission committee would periodically release waitlist applicants during the summer. Is anyone aware if the initial release has already occurred?

No one has indicated being "WL, Rejected" on LSN, so, I'm assuming the initial release hasn't occurred. Nonetheless, I wanted to check with TLS users to see if anyone had any insight (other than the fact that the class was full as of May 17th).

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:39 am

I'm withdrawing. Everyone have fun.

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:56 am

GentlemanJim wrote:I'm withdrawing. Everyone have fun.

gracias; buena suerte

Janus

Postby Janus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:20 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:I'm withdrawing. Everyone have fun.

Are you going somewhere else, not going at all, or reapplying next year?

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:32 pm

scott88 wrote:SAOJD10,

I'm new to this board, and am obviously not in the USC Law 2013 class, but I know Columbia like the back of my hand. I enrolled there for undergrad having never lived in the area, and I took it upon myself to learn as much as I could about it. I can give you any rundown of most any neighborhood you're interested in. I could even make some suggestions if you give me a clearer idea of what you're looking for.

Any of the big student apartment communities (most all of these were built within the past 5 years) -- Aspyre, Woodlands, Copper Beech, the Retreat, Stadium Suites, Riverside Estates, etc. will be essentially 100% undergrad students. My advice would be to STAY AWAY. The parking sucks and it's just a boondoggle to live there. Not to mention, living out Bluff Road, past the stadium, completely sucks. It is essentially an industrial highway and there is zero scenery; just some super shitty neighborhoods off the main drag. Not to mention, there are no bars or nightlife anywhere in immediate vicinity. I think you would be much happier to be living right around the campus.

If you still want to go this route, look for some of the older student apartment "communities." These things were massively overbuilt for the area (the nicest, newest ones keep getting better, pushing the others out of the market), and some are absolutely bleeding from the ears on their occupancy rates. I bet you could get a really nice deal at a place like Stadium Suites. Also, for my money, a place like Riverside Estates, right across the river in Cayce/West Columbia is a much more desirable location than the aforementioned cluster of apartments that have been recently built up way out Bluff Road. One other point of note, I believe the only one of these student communities that offers one bedroom apartments is Copper Beech (where you're on the first floor of a three floor townhouse style building).

As it stands though, I'd much more so recommend renting either a single family residence or an apartment/condo in a small building. Check the Olympia or Rosewood areas for the absolute best price (within a reasonable vicinity) on a set up like this. Shandon is a really nice, more upscale neighborhood, and can be especially walkable to Five Points, but you'll pay a bit more to live here. Still lots of good deals to be found if you're willing to look around. If you or anyone else is interested, I could even PM you the number of my old landlord. He was an absolutely great guy -- very accessible as he just manages all his properties himself. Not to mention, he seemed to have some really cool properties. The location of where I was living absolutely could not be beat, and the house was like 120 years old.

Anyway, let me know if there are any further questions I can answer about Columbia.

Hey all, I live in Columbia and work at USC, but don't go to the law school. The above is fully credited--well, I have no idea who his landlord is, but all the rest is spot on). There are lots of apartements near the law school, but I would encourage y'all to move a bit away from the school, and live in Olympia or Shandon (there are not a lot of apartments in either area, but if you look hard, you'll find them). Accross the river would be nice, but you'd have to drive in and worry about parking (no one commutes by bike here).

utahredsoxfan

Postby utahredsoxfan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 pm

sumus romani wrote:

I'm new to this board, and am obviously not in the USC Law 2013 class, but I know Columbia like the back of my hand. I enrolled there for undergrad having never lived in the area, and I took it upon myself to learn as much as I could about it. I can give you any rundown of most any neighborhood you're interested in. I could even make some suggestions if you give me a clearer idea of what you're looking for.

Any of the big student apartment communities (most all of these were built within the past 5 years) -- Aspyre, Woodlands, Copper Beech, the Retreat, Stadium Suites, Riverside Estates, etc. will be essentially 100% undergrad students. My advice would be to STAY AWAY. The parking sucks and it's just a boondoggle to live there. Not to mention, living out Bluff Road, past the stadium, completely sucks. It is essentially an industrial highway and there is zero scenery; just some super shitty neighborhoods off the main drag. Not to mention, there are no bars or nightlife anywhere in immediate vicinity. I think you would be much happier to be living right around the campus.

If you still want to go this route, look for some of the older student apartment "communities." These things were massively overbuilt for the area (the nicest, newest ones keep getting better, pushing the others out of the market), and some are absolutely bleeding from the ears on their occupancy rates. I bet you could get a really nice deal at a place like Stadium Suites. Also, for my money, a place like Riverside Estates, right across the river in Cayce/West Columbia is a much more desirable location than the aforementioned cluster of apartments that have been recently built up way out Bluff Road. One other point of note, I believe the only one of these student communities that offers one bedroom apartments is Copper Beech (where you're on the first floor of a three floor townhouse style building).

As it stands though, I'd much more so recommend renting either a single family residence or an apartment/condo in a small building. Check the Olympia or Rosewood areas for the absolute best price (within a reasonable vicinity) on a set up like this. Shandon is a really nice, more upscale neighborhood, and can be especially walkable to Five Points, but you'll pay a bit more to live here. Still lots of good deals to be found if you're willing to look around. If you or anyone else is interested, I could even PM you the number of my old landlord. He was an absolutely great guy -- very accessible as he just manages all his properties himself. Not to mention, he seemed to have some really cool properties. The location of where I was living absolutely could not be beat, and the house was like 120 years old.

Anyway, let me know if there are any further questions I can answer about Columbia.

Hey all, I live in Columbia and work at USC, but don't go to the law school. The above is fully credited--well, I have no idea who his landlord is, but all the rest is spot on). There are lots of apartements near the law school, but I would encourage y'all to move a bit away from the school, and live in Olympia or Shandon (there are not a lot of apartments in either area, but if you look hard, you'll find them). Accross the river would be nice, but you'd have to drive in and worry about parking (no one commutes by bike here).

Why would you move away from campus? I'm looking at a place on campus, off Blossom on Henderson on the edge of campus. I'm in Utah still working currently, so any advice you can give me would be great.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:05 pm

just goto colapro.com alot of moderately priced condos.........

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Have any waistlisters heard from Admissions since the May 17th update?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Genericswingman wrote:Have any waistlisters heard from Admissions since the May 17th update?

Haven't heard anything. Not expecting to either.

bstrunk

Postby bstrunk » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:34 am

I hadn't heard anything. I withdrew from the Waitlist on Wednesday.

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:09 am

OK for those who are admitted I really need some advice regarding an apartment. What are you guys doing about housing? Are you doing the roommate form? Are you finding your own apartment? I NEED HELP!!!! :D

Do you think that this place is a good deal?: http://www.colapro.com/viewlisting.asp?PID=510

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:12 am

Oh yeah, if you're looking for a roommate I'm cool with that too. I really don't care I just need a place to live.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:49 am

lfgsuperman wrote:OK for those who are admitted I really need some advice regarding an apartment. What are you guys doing about housing? Are you doing the roommate form? Are you finding your own apartment? I NEED HELP!!!! :D

Do you think that this place is a good deal?: http://www.colapro.com/viewlisting.asp?PID=510

UG alum here, just wanting to say that price is about what you can expect; it's certainly reasonable for the area. The neighborhood itself isn't bad. I lived a couple of streets over for my senior year and my only complaints were specific to my asshole neighbors downstairs. You'd be about 10-15 minutes walking away from the closest Carolina Shuttle stop (usually took me about 15, I was further away but I'm a fast walker), though none of the ones that stop there also stop by the law school. A couple will get you pretty close though, and of course you can always drive if you'll have a car. It's also close to a good grocery store.

I don't have much to say concerning the rental company. The guy I was subleasing from when I first transferred down to Columbia was apparently renting through them, but I never had to deal with them myself. That can be seen as a sign they're not always up in your business, I guess, unlike some other landlords I've had.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:52 pm

lfgsuperman wrote:Oh yeah, if you're looking for a roommate I'm cool with that too. I really don't care I just need a place to live.

Just got back from Columbia today, I toured numerous condos from colapro.com, cantey company and landmark resources, everyone was a dud. I relented and signed a lease at asprye, they had a 2 br for the price of a one br only 895 so I am going to try to find a roommate now.

Living in America

Postby Living in America » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:55 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:
lfgsuperman wrote:Oh yeah, if you're looking for a roommate I'm cool with that too. I really don't care I just need a place to live.

Just got back from Columbia today, I toured numerous condos from colapro.com, cantey company and landmark resources, everyone was a dud. I relented and signed a lease at asprye, they had a 2 br for the price of a one br only 895 so I am going to try to find a roommate now.

Aspyre is nice. Good choice.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:19 pm

utahredsoxfan wrote:
sumus romani wrote:

Why would you move away from campus? I'm looking at a place on campus, off Blossom on Henderson on the edge of campus. I'm in Utah still working currently, so any advice you can give me would be great.

Some of the apartments around blossom and henderson are good choices. But you have to be picky here. If it is the large building I am thinking of, you'll be fine. But you have to check these places out and ask around. Also, enjoy your uphill climb to class everyday :lol: . But it is not that bad!

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:54 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:

Do you have a link or any photos of the place? You can pm if you want.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:11 pm

lfgsuperman wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:

http://iaspyre.com/ is the link for the website

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:32 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:
lfgsuperman wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:

http://iaspyre.com/ is the link for the website

looks pretty nice man. Did you get a furnished or an unfurnished one? I'm interested.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:52 pm

unfurnished was the only ones left

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:21 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:unfurnished was the only ones left

How do you feel about this place? http://www.colapro.com/viewlisting.asp?PID=485

gogamecocks10

Postby gogamecocks10 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:47 am

what's up I'm going to undergrad at USC this year... will be a freshman in August.... hopefully going to law school in Columbia after I get my undergrad degree to! GO COCKS!!

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:49 am

gogamecocks10 wrote:what's up I'm going to undergrad at USC this year... will be a freshman in August.... hopefully going to law school in Columbia after I get my undergrad degree to! GO COCKS!!

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:52 am

Ty Webb wrote:
gogamecocks10 wrote:what's up I'm going to undergrad at USC this year... will be a freshman in August.... hopefully going to law school in Columbia after I get my undergrad degree to! GO COCKS!!

+ 100

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”