University of South Carolina!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tx1987

Re: University of South Carolina!

Postby tx1987 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:07 am

MU2009 wrote:
tx1987 wrote:There's a part on the application that asks for a (separate) attachment for your academic scholarships, your employment, your extracurriculars, etc. and then they ask for a resume. Is all this necessary?

I applied to South Carolina and I just sent my resume as all those things were present on it. Seemed like overkill to send them in separate attachments and then send the resume which had, basically, the same exact "stuff" on it.

Did you get in? I agree it seems like overkill, plus, I don't have any community service, so...yeah.

boadicea

Postby boadicea » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:11 pm

so they just do snail mail? no call?

columbia has been referred to as "satan's a**hole." i liked 5 points and the vista, so i didn't think it was that bad. their gameday is weird though. tailgates in random places like the woods, industrial yards, the side of the road, and it's all spread out EVERYWHERE so that kind of blows.

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:32 pm

boadicea wrote:so they just do snail mail? no call?

columbia has been referred to as "satan's a**hole." i liked 5 points and the vista, so i didn't think it was that bad. their gameday is weird though. tailgates in random places like the woods, industrial yards, the side of the road, and it's all spread out EVERYWHERE so that kind of blows.

true about tailgating unless you're willing to pay for a designated space

http://issuu.com/gamecockclub/docs/fb_p ... ipBtn=true

bmcinto

Postby bmcinto » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Just received my acceptance letter! Really excited!

For those wondering: Clemson grad, in-state, 157/3.68, 4 years work experience

MU2009

Postby MU2009 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:15 am

tx1987 wrote:
MU2009 wrote:
tx1987 wrote:There's a part on the application that asks for a (separate) attachment for your academic scholarships, your employment, your extracurriculars, etc. and then they ask for a resume. Is all this necessary?

I applied to South Carolina and I just sent my resume as all those things were present on it. Seemed like overkill to send them in separate attachments and then send the resume which had, basically, the same exact "stuff" on it.

Did you get in? I agree it seems like overkill, plus, I don't have any community service, so...yeah.

I applied about 3 weeks ago so I haven't received a decision yet.

MU2009

Postby MU2009 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:31 pm

South Carolina doesn't have a status checker, do they?

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:33 pm

MU2009 wrote:South Carolina doesn't have a status checker, do they?

no they don't

marshalltucker

Postby marshalltucker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Does SC give out full tuition schollys or anything near it? Didn't look like it on LSN.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:01 pm

marshalltucker wrote:Does SC give out full tuition schollys or anything near it? Didn't look like it on LSN.

not sure. how much is their OOS anyway?

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:03 pm

marshalltucker wrote:Does SC give out full tuition schollys or anything near it? Didn't look like it on LSN.

I saw some 14k or 15k's on LSN (out of 20k in-state)

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:04 pm

sufjan wrote:

I saw some 14k or 15k's on LSN (out of 20k in-state)

wow, so that is close to full tuition.

Postby 02092010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:24 pm

In today via snail mail. Similar scholarship info coming in march kind of deal. I have family in South Carolina, Ashville maybe (don't visit much) I was curious if anyone was planning on attending. Also, for anyone with any info, is U South Carolina produce a lot of grads that work for the state/in government given that it is in the capital?

Postby 02092010 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 am

I'm an out of stater. My scholly info was basically 60%. It went down after the first year if I remember correctly, but then again I guess they assume that you would hav attained residency. Anyways, the school was a black hole until all of a sudden the letter came in.

I was glad to hear back from them. S. Car is a really pretty state but, for I'd like to work in some International capacity and I'm guessing S Car isn't going to fast track me that way.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:06 am

Last edited by eandy on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:54 am

tallywhacker wrote:I'm an out of stater. My scholly info was basically 60%. It went down after the first year if I remember correctly, but then again I guess they assume that you would hav attained residency. Anyways, the school was a black hole until all of a sudden the letter came in.

I was glad to hear back from them. S. Car is a really pretty state but, for I'd like to work in some International capacity and I'm guessing S Car isn't going to fast track me that way.

scholly info came for you?!

minkins

Postby minkins » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:10 pm

I've lived here my whole life (well except for undergrad) so I thought I would add some more about the city.

Columbia is most definitely NOT a college town. It's just your average American city with some malls and different areas of the city. Down near USC there is 5 Points which is for the college crowd with lots of bars, places to eat, and little boutiques and stores. There's also the Vista which is closer to the State House and "downtown" (office buildings, government offices, public library, Finlay Park) and it's a little more expensive with nicer restaurants and more upscale bars.

No professional sports teams because most people are more interested in USC sports and football season is big with 80,000 people in the stadium. Night life is pretty fun, I mean it's not Athens but there are plenty of bars with different groups of people so if you're not fratty, there are places for you to hang out. There's a river near the Riverbanks Zoo (ha, get it?) that a lot of people go to and there's also Lake Murray, which is about 20-30 minutes from campus. Various museums, lots of movie theaters, etc.

Everyone is nice and friendly but the weather is HORRIBLE in the summer. Muggy, hot, humid, sick. Honestly one of the hottest places I've ever been because there's no breeze from any kind of water or anything. Just writing about it makes me uncomfortable haha but very mild winters, leaves change color in the fall, flowers bloom in spring, etc so you'll get four seasons. The weather is notoriously crazy though, sometimes it'll be in the 70s in the winter and then two days later it'll be 45. It might snow once a year and that will be like 1-2 inches and the whole city shuts down, which is awesome.

The best thing about Columbia is that it's right in the middle of the state so it's close to everything else SC has to offer. 2-4 hours from the beach, depending on which one you go to. 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Charleston, 3 hours from the mountains, 4 hours from Atlanta, 90 minutes from Charlotte, 5 hours from Jacksonville.

You will definitely need a car if you live in Columbia. There's a bus system but it sucks.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:24 pm

when does the scholly come out, anyone know?

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:04 am

minkins wrote:The best thing about Columbia is that it's right in the middle of the state so it's close to everything else SC has to offer. 2-4 hours from the beach, depending on which one you go to. 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Charleston, 3 hours from the mountains, 4 hours from Atlanta, 90 minutes from Charlotte, 5 hours from Jacksonville.

+1. and the idea of working in charleston makes SC way more attractive. too bad the out of state tuition is ridiculous.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:13 am

Last edited by eandy on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:16 am

jeeptiger09 wrote:
minkins wrote:The best thing about Columbia is that it's right in the middle of the state so it's close to everything else SC has to offer. 2-4 hours from the beach, depending on which one you go to. 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Charleston, 3 hours from the mountains, 4 hours from Atlanta, 90 minutes from Charlotte, 5 hours from Jacksonville.

+1. and the idea of working in charleston makes SC way more attractive. too bad the out of state tuition is ridiculous.

It is! I got my USC acceptance in early Dec. and I remember the letter saying it was around $38,000. Like I'd pay that much money to live in SC for 3 years (sorry, I'm from NC...couldn't NOT throw that in, lol).

Anyone have any idea about scholarship amounts? I feel like I could get at least some money, and I'd definitely need it to consider going to USC, but I don't know how generous they are. I'm 163/3.74 if that helps. Also, I'm sure there's some $$ info on LSN, but I've found that for most schools that info is rather spotty...not everyone posts their stats and it's all self-selected anyway, we know only a fraction of applicants use LSN.

Anyone with personal experience regarding USC and scholarships?

lovethelaw88

Postby lovethelaw88 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:23 am

I got my acceptance last night via snail mail. They told me I was being considered for a merit scholly and the schollys would be decided on in March.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:55 am

got the letter yesterday saying the same about scholarships, on their website they list scholarship amounts for out of state residents, I think it equals to around $20,000.00 a year but I guess there could be larger amounts

Postby 02092010 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Has anyone ever asked for a travel stipend to visit?

What do you think they'd say?

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:48 pm

are they having any open house/admitted student days?

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

Postby LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:37 pm

eandy wrote:Maybe it is just me, but I think that Charleston is way overrated. Greenville, on the other hand, is awesome.

The lack of status checker at South Carolina makes me sad :(

and don't make the mistake of calling more than once in a week. The yenta admissions lady basically told me my chance for admissions to the law school were hurt because I called twice in one week. What a skeeza! Carolina beats Kentucky in basketball and now their sheep dung don't smell?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”