University of South Carolina! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GentlemanJim

Bronze

Re: University of South Carolina!

Post by GentlemanJim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Yeah, Granby Mills. Those are pretty nice lofts.

I'm still not 100% that I'm going this year. If I do, I'll probably seek out something in the Shandon area. I'd like to be a bit removed from the campus hubbub, but not so much so that it takes me an hour to get to class.

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Those Aspyre places look alright, actually. Honestly, it's been so long since I've lived in Columbia that my memory is a little hazy of what's available. I just know that I have a bunch of friends that split houses in neighborhoods like Shandon for pretty cheap. As a law student, though, it might be nice to have the convenience/utility of an apartment building. Something to consider...

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm

I'd be willing to find a 1L roomate or two to cut down on the costs, but the law school really hasnt provided any type of roomate assistance like some other schools so atleast for the first year I might be in an apartment

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:50 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:Those Aspyre places look alright, actually. Honestly, it's been so long since I've lived in Columbia that my memory is a little hazy of what's available. I just know that I have a bunch of friends that split houses in neighborhoods like Shandon for pretty cheap. As a law student, though, it might be nice to have the convenience/utility of an apartment building. Something to consider...
Aspyre's pretty new, just opened up last fall. A guy I work with lives there, and he seems to like it ok. Expensive as hell, though, like all the other student-oriented apartment complexes. At least, they're expensive when compared with what you can get if you look at houses and smaller buildings like the one I'm in now.

If you look on the off campus housing website for the university (http://www.sa.sc.edu/ocss/) you might have some luck finding roommates. Looks like they've changed it since I was using it last year, so idk.

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:53 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
GentlemanJim wrote:Those Aspyre places look alright, actually. Honestly, it's been so long since I've lived in Columbia that my memory is a little hazy of what's available. I just know that I have a bunch of friends that split houses in neighborhoods like Shandon for pretty cheap. As a law student, though, it might be nice to have the convenience/utility of an apartment building. Something to consider...
Aspyre's pretty new, just opened up last fall. A guy I work with lives there, and he seems to like it ok. Expensive as hell, though, like all the other student-oriented apartment complexes. At least, they're expensive when compared with what you can get if you look at houses and smaller buildings like the one I'm in now.

If you look on the off campus housing website for the university (http://www.sa.sc.edu/ocss/) you might have some luck finding roommates. Looks like they've changed it since I was using it last year, so idk.
Funny that you mention how expensive they are - I was actually just marveling at how cheap they seemed! Haha, guess that's what I get coming from DC. Still, if I can cut back on costs, I definitely want to do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:55 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:I'd be willing to find a 1L roomate or two to cut down on the costs, but the law school really hasnt provided any type of roomate assistance like some other schools so atleast for the first year I might be in an apartment
I think I might go solo for 1L. Not sure yet, obviously, but if ever there was a time for solitude, I feel like this would be it.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:18 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:

Funny that you mention how expensive they are - I was actually just marveling at how cheap they seemed! Haha, guess that's what I get coming from DC. Still, if I can cut back on costs, I definitely want to do it.
Yea, coming from DC they probably do seem cheap. For the Columbia market though, those prices are a bit much imo even with how nice they supposedly are. I have a 2br that's roughly the same distance from campus, and we pay half what their 2brs cost.

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Wow, yeah that sounds pretty solid. So, how much do you pay individually? Like $400?!

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:Wow, yeah that sounds pretty solid. So, how much do you pay individually? Like $400?!
$300 plus utilities (which are about another $80 or so), which is the most I've paid in the two years I've been at USC (transferred in). When my roommate and I were looking last summer, most of the places we saw were between $600 and $800 total for 2br. We were hampered by her cat and my lack of car, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Living in America

Bronze

Post by Living in America » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Hey, just doing my annual check-in. I'm a student at USC Law and I'll be happy to take any questions you might have. I prefer if you PM your questions, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I have exams this week, but I'll do my best to respond promptly. Congratulations to everybody who was accepted.

Living in America

Bronze

Post by Living in America » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:44 pm

Wow, lots of great questions. I'll respond to all of them tomorrow, because the Federal Income Tax exam fried my brain today.

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Mon May 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Anyone pass on South Carolina?

(besides wanting to attend, I'm also interested in whether or not the drop to Third Tier had any effect on their yield)

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon May 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Last edited by eandy on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:39 pm

I just received notification of seat deposit I sent in last week, they threw good money at me and compared to other schools I was accepted at (where I couldnt justify sticker) SC was a good combo

ScndCareertyme

New

Post by ScndCareertyme » Tue May 04, 2010 8:41 am

I withdrew, good luck to everybody. hope some seats open up.

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Tue May 04, 2010 9:14 am

ScndCareertyme wrote:I withdrew, good luck to everybody. hope some seats open up.
God bless ya!

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Tue May 04, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm going. In state + scholly = too good to pass up. Looking forward to falling through the holes in the floor in that law building!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Janus

New

Post by Janus » Tue May 04, 2010 1:53 pm

I sent my seat deposit in as well. In state + dean's scholarship so it's a good deal for me. I'm passing up $15,000/year from Charleston School of Law. I'd rather commute and incur a little extra cost doing that than bank on whether Charleston will come out of provisional accrediation. Also, even if it does, USC is still the better school. Plus, I'm pretty sure USC will climb out of the 3rd Tier once the economy improves.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue May 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Last edited by eandy on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Generic20101L

Bronze

Post by Generic20101L » Tue May 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Didn't deposit. Had $$. Good luck.

lawschoolapplicantuf

New

Post by lawschoolapplicantuf » Tue May 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Didn't deposit in favor of Ole Miss. Freed up an "out-of-state equalizer" ($16k/yr). Really hope that puts someone else in from the waitlist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:36 pm

lawschoolapplicantuf wrote:Didn't deposit in favor of Ole Miss. Freed up an "out-of-state equalizer" ($16k/yr). Really hope that puts someone else in from the waitlist.
you recieve any scholly $ at Ole Miss?

bmcinto

New

Post by bmcinto » Tue May 04, 2010 4:59 pm

now that some scholly money is being freed up, do you think that they will show some tuition equalizer love to me, an OOS with a 157 LSAT and 3.68 GPA?

i can hope....probably not though.

minkins

New

Post by minkins » Wed May 05, 2010 9:57 am

eandy wrote:
Genericswingman wrote:Anyone pass on South Carolina?

(besides wanting to attend, I'm also interested in whether or not the drop to Third Tier had any effect on their yield)
I saw their wimpy scholarship offer and passed in a heartbeat. They didn't show me any instate love.
Same here! I was pretty shocked at what crappy money they gave to instate students. I'm sure that contributes to the constant drop in rankings. When I can go to Wake or UGA for the same cost as a 3rd tier school, why would I stay?

utahredsoxfan

New

Post by utahredsoxfan » Sat May 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Sent my seat deposit in last week. Look forward to going to Columiba. Scholarship, cheap living, and great business school (I'm going for a JD/MBA) made me not worry about the drop in rankings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”