What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AsexualChocolate
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby AsexualChocolate » Thu May 06, 2010 4:08 am

Though it pains me to say, and with still no answer in sight, I officially withdrew my application for admission to the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law today. While ASU would’ve been the most convenient option, I walk away on principle. I am a firm believer in speaking as a consumer through your actions, and I just couldn’t bring myself to award the next three years of my life (and many years of income thereafter) to this waiting game. Let me be clear that I am under no grand illusion that it is any skin off ASU’s back. In fact, I’m sure they appreciate the self-thinning of the herd. But, truth-be-told, I wasn’t terribly impressed by the facilities or any of the students/faculty/staff that I encountered whilst embarking on my numerous visits to the school. Granted, it would seem they weren’t terribly impressed by me either... It just felt like it was time to let the local dream die. A moment of drunken clarity persuaded me to dive into a new adventure in a far off place for the next chapter of life. Though I initially vacillated in the decision, I’ve truly never felt so liberated now that it is done. If I have any remaining disappointment, it is that I won’t get to meet many of the interesting people on the ASU TLS. You guys are far more "down" than the yahoos at the other schools I'm following... Those of you who continue to wait, I salute you. I will pray for you as I spend the next four months growing back my hair, dropping that recently accumulated 20 lbs., and unlearning the nervous fidgeting that has now become my professional trademark. I wish you all the best and someday hope to meet you in the courtroom - even if the circumstance arises from prosecuting me for ‘driving while black’ (bad habit of mine…) :D

p.s. I’m hoping my vacated future spot in the class of 2013 goes to Quickquestion.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 4:32 am

Got to give you props for standing by principle. I haven't officially withdrawn from the school but I've all but counted it out as I still haven't heard back yet either.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 4:34 am

pugalicious wrote:Ok, pseudo-waitlisters, only 5 more days until the next inevitable email telling us to wait some more : ) Perhaps we should start another thread: "schools I fell in love with and ultimately chose while waiting for ASU". It'll be like that Sandra Bullock movie While You Were Sleeping.


This isn't a bad idea

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu May 06, 2010 6:25 pm

AsexualChocolate wrote:p.s. I’m hoping my vacated future spot in the class of 2013 goes to Quickquestion.



SWEET! Maybe I should reveal my identity since we all know the adcoms are reading this.

I'm....Andy Kaufman!!

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Yeah, I had to withdraw. As much as a like ASU as a school and the idea of living and working in Arizona I couldn't wait anymore. At this point I have lined up everything to begin in the fall with my other school. I understand the admissions office is busy and has a lot on their plate but making people wait until May (a full 7 or 8 month for some applicants) to render even an initial decision shows a profound lack of respect for the applicants. At the very least ASU should be looking at upping the number of admissions staffers.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Thu May 06, 2010 6:47 pm

AsexualChocolate wrote:Though it pains me to say, and with still no answer in sight, I officially withdrew my application for admission to the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law today. While ASU would’ve been the most convenient option, I walk away on principle. I am a firm believer in speaking as a consumer through your actions, and I just couldn’t bring myself to award the next three years of my life (and many years of income thereafter) to this waiting game. Let me be clear that I am under no grand illusion that it is any skin off ASU’s back. In fact, I’m sure they appreciate the self-thinning of the herd. But, truth-be-told, I wasn’t terribly impressed by the facilities or any of the students/faculty/staff that I encountered whilst embarking on my numerous visits to the school. Granted, it would seem they weren’t terribly impressed by me either... It just felt like it was time to let the local dream die. A moment of drunken clarity persuaded me to dive into a new adventure in a far off place for the next chapter of life. Though I initially vacillated in the decision, I’ve truly never felt so liberated now that it is done. If I have any remaining disappointment, it is that I won’t get to meet many of the interesting people on the ASU TLS. You guys are far more "down" than the yahoos at the other schools I'm following... Those of you who continue to wait, I salute you. I will pray for you as I spend the next four months growing back my hair, dropping that recently accumulated 20 lbs., and unlearning the nervous fidgeting that has now become my professional trademark. I wish you all the best and someday hope to meet you in the courtroom - even if the circumstance arises from prosecuting me for ‘driving while black’ (bad habit of mine…) :D

p.s. I’m hoping my vacated future spot in the class of 2013 goes to Quickquestion.


damn :/

tsub
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby tsub » Fri May 07, 2010 9:26 am

So, it's Friday once again, the end of our 2 week mark. Has anyone heard anything yet? I've already deposited somewhere else, but I'm holding on in the event that I get some kind of miraculous financial aid package from ASU (one can always hope).

What's everyone else thinking?

vijemi
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby vijemi » Fri May 07, 2010 10:58 am

tsub wrote:So, it's Friday once again, the end of our 2 week mark. Has anyone heard anything yet? I've already deposited somewhere else, but I'm holding on in the event that I get some kind of miraculous financial aid package from ASU (one can always hope).

What's everyone else thinking?


I'm thinking it'll be a miracle if we hear anything... I'm probably a long shot to get in anyways so I'm making plans move on w/out ASU but if I get accepted then I'll deal with it then.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby darknightbegins » Fri May 07, 2010 3:09 pm

tsub wrote:So, it's Friday once again, the end of our 2 week mark. Has anyone heard anything yet? I've already deposited somewhere else, but I'm holding on in the event that I get some kind of miraculous financial aid package from ASU (one can always hope).

What's everyone else thinking?


I'm thinking I'll find out in July that I was put on the waitlist. Plan to go else where bro. The market in Phoneix was already hit hard by the recession, the fact ASU has jacked me around this bad really shines a new light on the school for me.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby sanpiero » Fri May 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Advice to those on the WL: you are the beneficiary of a blessing in disguise. ASU is not worth sticker (especially if you are OOS). Take the money at a lower-ranked school or retake the LSAT. Good luck!!

vijemi
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby vijemi » Fri May 07, 2010 3:41 pm

sanpiero wrote:Advice to those on the WL: you are the beneficiary of a blessing in disguise. ASU is not worth sticker (especially if you are OOS). Take the money at a lower-ranked school or retake the LSAT. Good luck!!


what would you say if the alternative was lower ranked in-state california where we end up paying more than OOS ASU?

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri May 07, 2010 4:06 pm

My guess is that they send out notifications to those who received that email starting next week, whether it be accept, reject, or WL.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby darknightbegins » Fri May 07, 2010 5:21 pm

vijemi wrote:
sanpiero wrote:Advice to those on the WL: you are the beneficiary of a blessing in disguise. ASU is not worth sticker (especially if you are OOS). Take the money at a lower-ranked school or retake the LSAT. Good luck!!


what would you say if the alternative was lower ranked in-state california where we end up paying more than OOS ASU?


That is the only alternative? Fuck. California is such a fucked state economically right now, I might take ASU over them. Cali needs to figure out how to not bankrupt one of the largest economies on Earth.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby darknightbegins » Fri May 07, 2010 5:21 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:My guess is that they send out notifications to those who received that email starting next week, whether it be accept, reject, or WL.


Hope you are right

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby sanpiero » Fri May 07, 2010 5:33 pm

vijemi wrote:
sanpiero wrote:Advice to those on the WL: you are the beneficiary of a blessing in disguise. ASU is not worth sticker (especially if you are OOS). Take the money at a lower-ranked school or retake the LSAT. Good luck!!


what would you say if the alternative was lower ranked in-state california where we end up paying more than OOS ASU?


Hastings, Loyola, USD??? I wouldn't pay sticker at any of these schools. If law school is going to cost you $150k+, any school outside the T14 is not a very good investment (unless you want to work in gov't/pi). Can you get a job from non-T14 schools that will allow you to pay back your loans within a reasonable time? Yes, but you have about a 5-25% chance of doing so, depending on the school's rank. The one caveat is that the analysis should be different for someone who wants to work in Gov't/PI. If you get a job in such areas, you will pay 15% of your disposable income for 10 years, and as long as you don't miss a payment, the feds will forgive whatever principal remains after year 10. So, if you get into ASU off the WL and plan to work in gov't/pi, you have my blessing. On the other hand, if you want to work in the private sector, will be paying OOS sticker, ASU is not a good investment.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:My guess is that they send out notifications to those who received that email starting next week, whether it be accept, reject, or WL.


Hope you are right


That isn't sheer conjecture with a dash of wishful thinking..

They told me by phone I should "probably hear back by next week" a couple of days before that "give us two weeks" email was sent out. That, combined with the fact that no one heard anything during this two week period says to me that they were buying themselves some more time for the last batch of acceptances/waitlisters and that going to use every hour they have. Plus, mpeg said that a couple more batches of acceptances were going out, and it seemed that only one batch went out after she (?) said that.

So...qualified conjecture with a dash of wishful thinking.

mepg
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby mepg » Fri May 07, 2010 11:00 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:My guess is that they send out notifications to those who received that email starting next week, whether it be accept, reject, or WL.


Hope you are right


That isn't sheer conjecture with a dash of wishful thinking..

They told me by phone I should "probably hear back by next week" a couple of days before that "give us two weeks" email was sent out. That, combined with the fact that no one heard anything during this two week period says to me that they were buying themselves some more time for the last batch of acceptances/waitlisters and that going to use every hour they have. Plus, mpeg said that a couple more batches of acceptances were going out, and it seemed that only one batch went out after she (?) said that.

So...qualified conjecture with a dash of wishful thinking.


Hi all. I just wanted to say I feel for you all; the waiting is the worst. Since we are midway through finals, I am not in the admissions office anymore, but I hope there is some news for you all soon.

tsub
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby tsub » Mon May 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Has anyone that received the "2 more weeks" e-mail heard anything yet?

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby darknightbegins » Mon May 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Nothing yet

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon May 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Just the silence of realization.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby darknightbegins » Mon May 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Realization that ASU is fucking with us

yellowfin
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby yellowfin » Mon May 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Invited to join the waitlist today. Declined because I've already deposited elsewhere.

Email from ASU wrote:At this time, we are unable to offer you admission to the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University. We would, however, like to invite you to join our waiting list. The Admissions Committee had a very difficult job this year, selecting from a pool of approximately 2,500 talented applicants. Our enrollment is quite limited with only 200 seats in this year's entering class. With such limited enrollment and such a strong applicant pool, there were many competitive applicants to whom we were not able to offer admission. You are among those applicants in whom we remain strongly interested, and we hope that you will agree to wait with us as we continue this process through the summer. We recognize that not all applicants to whom we offer admission will enroll, and we anticipate that yield in making our initial offers. However, there is the possibility that fewer people will accept our initial offers than we expect, and we maintain a small waiting list in the event that we are able to make any additional offers.

Please respond to our invitation to the waiting list by completing the online form no later than Friday, May 21, 2010. The form can be accessed by going to **** and using the password: ****. Since an offer of admission from the waiting list may be made by phone, please be sure to include on the form a phone number where you or your designee may be reached. If you do not respond by the above date, your application will be withdrawn from consideration. We look forward to your response and, again, thank you for your interest in the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at ASU.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue May 11, 2010 2:37 am

Ah so the waitlists are now dripping out. Good luck with the school you have decided on!

User avatar
sintacs
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:52 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby sintacs » Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 pm

yellowfin wrote:Invited to join the waitlist today. Declined because I've already deposited elsewhere.

Email from ASU wrote:At this time, we are unable to offer you admission to the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University. We would, however, like to invite you to join our waiting list. The Admissions Committee had a very difficult job this year, selecting from a pool of approximately 2,500 talented applicants. Our enrollment is quite limited with only 200 seats in this year's entering class. With such limited enrollment and such a strong applicant pool, there were many competitive applicants to whom we were not able to offer admission. You are among those applicants in whom we remain strongly interested, and we hope that you will agree to wait with us as we continue this process through the summer. We recognize that not all applicants to whom we offer admission will enroll, and we anticipate that yield in making our initial offers. However, there is the possibility that fewer people will accept our initial offers than we expect, and we maintain a small waiting list in the event that we are able to make any additional offers.

Please respond to our invitation to the waiting list by completing the online form no later than Friday, May 21, 2010. The form can be accessed by going to **** and using the password: ****. Since an offer of admission from the waiting list may be made by phone, please be sure to include on the form a phone number where you or your designee may be reached. If you do not respond by the above date, your application will be withdrawn from consideration. We look forward to your response and, again, thank you for your interest in the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at ASU.


Did anyone else receive this e-mail? I'm curious if this was a mass e-mail to all waitlisted apps.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue May 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Not I.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”