What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:22 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
There are a lot of people on here who need an attitude adjustment.


Image

AsexualChocolate
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby AsexualChocolate » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:23 am

Hey, I just need a shoulder to cry on...

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:28 am

AsexualChocolate wrote:Hey, I just need a shoulder to cry on...


as a juris doctor in the law of the bushido, i advise you never to show weakness.

AsexualChocolate
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby AsexualChocolate » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:31 am

aIvin adams wrote:
AsexualChocolate wrote:Hey, I just need a shoulder to cry on...


as a juris doctor in the law of the bushido, i advise you never to show weakness.


Just a sensitive dude... my greatest strength (cuz God knows I ain't got the LSAT score).

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:48 am

AsexualChocolate wrote:
aIvin adams wrote:
AsexualChocolate wrote:Hey, I just need a shoulder to cry on...


as a juris doctor in the law of the bushido, i advise you never to show weakness.


Just a sensitive dude... my greatest strength (cuz God knows I ain't got the LSAT score).


then i must recuse myself

Image


jk. i cried the first time i saw rocky. im going to law school to learn to be a man. my first task was to mock msbasham('s friend) in public. BWAHAHAHA

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 am

AsexualChocolate wrote:How about inability to sense the half-serious nature of my whining issues...?



I admit, it was unfair to direct that rant at you. But in pretty much every school's thread that I follow, I've heard the exact same sentiments from a small contingent of people. The remarks usually go like "if this is how they treat us now...just imagine how they'll treat us as students" or "school X is full of terrible, inconsiderate people because they haven't responded to me yet" etc. It just seems to me that life is going to suck pretty hard if one takes such things so personally. Every school does it. It's just a system and we're just numbers, and if you're on this board, you should know that by now. If USC waits until June to get back to me with an acceptance, I'll gladly take it.

And alvin, hate to admit it, but I was actually thinking of a friend who always bitches to me about his cable company when I was writing that rant. Learn their rules and exploit them.

User avatar
pugalicious
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby pugalicious » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:21 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
AsexualChocolate wrote:How about inability to sense the half-serious nature of my whining issues...?



I admit, it was unfair to direct that rant at you. But in pretty much every school's thread that I follow, I've heard the exact same sentiments from a small contingent of people. The remarks usually go like "if this is how they treat us now...just imagine how they'll treat us as students" or "school X is full of terrible, inconsiderate people because they haven't responded to me yet" etc. It just seems to me that life is going to suck pretty hard if one takes such things so personally. Every school does it. It's just a system and we're just numbers, and if you're on this board, you should know that by now. If USC waits until June to get back to me with an acceptance, I'll gladly take it.

And alvin, hate to admit it, but I was actually thinking of a friend who always bitches to me about his cable company when I was writing that rant. Learn their rules and exploit them.


Two comments:

1) "if this is how...imagine how they'll treat us as students..." etc. : It's called a defense mechanism. Picking on people when they're down (a la yourself) is called a douche mechanism.
2) I also think most of us are more frustrated by the fact that we paid for a service that is now being withheld. At least that's where I am. I've decided on a different school (whether or not ASU accepts me), but I am disappointed that despite paying the application fee for ASU, I recieved nothing in return.

The bottom line is, ASU's reluctance to send out their decisions doesn't make them assholes or incompetents, but it did make me seriously consider my other options and come to see that an out-of-state school provides me with better opportunity in the long run. So goodbye, greater Phoenix area, it was fun...we'll always have Dos Gringos...

msbeautifulbasham
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:40 am

aIvin adams wrote: jk. i cried the first time i saw rocky. im going to law school to learn to be a man. my first task was to mock msbasham('s friend) in public. BWAHAHAHA


hahaha! so that's why you outed me?? Well, i guess if it was for educational purposes... ;)

User avatar
samer
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby samer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:43 am

aIvin adams wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
There are a lot of people on here who need an attitude adjustment.


Image


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvFvF3Ut3g

For all my Country lovers out there :)

msbeautifulbasham
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Samer, are you still interested in ASU? I thought you were set on UT-K

User avatar
samer
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby samer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:28 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:Samer, are you still interested in ASU? I thought you were set on UT-K


I am pretty set on UTK but I also want to hear back from all the schools to which I applied. I just want to have all my options out there before I make a real decision, you know what I mean?

AngelAuthor
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby AngelAuthor » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:42 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote: You'd do the same without one iota of consideration for the applicants' feelings.

You can think what you will about the application process but I'll thank you not to foist any of your own sense of cold-heartedness about the subject off on the rest of us. :)

kaya_belly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby kaya_belly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:18 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
AsexualChocolate wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:I realize that emotions fly high when determining our futures, but seriously, the entire admissions process is such that we are at their mercy. That's the name of the game. I don't see any reason to get angry or indignant for them taking their sweet ass time. You'd do the same without one iota of consideration for the applicants' feelings.


Feelings. Nothing more than feelings... Not about feelings friend. It's about the cash. I don't particularly care to, nor can I necessarily afford to, throw away the extra money on more than one school's seat deposit when I've got this giant money pit awaiting me in the next three years (not to mention the upside-down mortgage I'll have to remedy before I go elsewhere). Already threw away a thousand-plus dollars on applications. That was supposed to be the gamble; not the seat deposit because some school wants to pussy-foot their way around handing out rejections and spots on their waitlist. Sure it's just a few hundred bucks, but those few hundred bucks add up quickly (could be my parking pass for the next year). You pay for something (ie the application), you expect to get something in return (a decision within a reasonable amount of time). And, yes, to answer your next question, I am gonna cry about it... Cuz I've got absolutely nothing to do but sit around and pull out my hair about these damned decisions and inefficient programs. I do see reason to get angry and indignant. I ain't no rich fool.

Ah... That felt good. Somebody change the subject already...



^^^proof you do not have to be rich to have entitlement issues

I am not trying to antagonize you, honestly. But Jesus, get over it. You want something from them, so it is going to happen on their schedule. There is a reason they have a deposit system; most people do not get accepted after the deadline and most people go to the school at which they place a deposit. If you get accepted after you deposit elsewhere, is that $250 a worthwhile sunk cost? Is it not a tiny fraction of your investment in law school?

You can either accept what I am saying as mature and levelheaded, or you can call me an asshole, and act like a whining bitch for the rest of your life. My recommendation, learn to take it in stride.I do not mean to single you out. There are a lot of people on here who need an attitude adjustment.


Does throwing a pile of junk mail and bills at my mailman from across the lawn make me a whiny bitch?

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby MoS » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:26 pm

kaya_belly wrote:Does throwing a pile of junk mail and bills at my mailman from across the lawn make me a whiny bitch?


No but posting about it does :D I kid, I kid.

msbeautifulbasham
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:33 pm

This thread could use some positive vibes. AIvin - Quick, say something witty to cheer everyone up!

kaya_belly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby kaya_belly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:44 pm

MoS wrote:
kaya_belly wrote:Does throwing a pile of junk mail and bills at my mailman from across the lawn make me a whiny bitch?


No but posting about it does :D I kid, I kid.


:) I'm cool with whiny bitch. That damn mailman had it coming.

In all seriousness though, I don't fault ASU for using their newly acquired fame as a reason for putting question marks like myself on hold. I am, however, frustrated with hearing that "decisions will be out in May" just 24 hours after they were assuring me that the vast majority of decisions would be out on April 15th.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby MoS » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:50 pm

kaya_belly wrote:
MoS wrote:
kaya_belly wrote:Does throwing a pile of junk mail and bills at my mailman from across the lawn make me a whiny bitch?


No but posting about it does :D I kid, I kid.


:) I'm cool with whiny bitch. That damn mailman had it coming.

In all seriousness though, I don't fault ASU for using their newly acquired fame as a reason for putting question marks like myself on hold. I am, however, frustrated with hearing that "decisions will be out in May" just 24 hours after they were assuring me that the vast majority of decisions would be out on April 15th.


I bet they expect their yield to be higher because of the huge boost in rankings, and are worried the may have already accepted too many people. But may sucks because that means you might have to blow a deposit at another school waiting.

kaya_belly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby kaya_belly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:59 pm

MoS wrote:
kaya_belly wrote:
MoS wrote:
kaya_belly wrote:Does throwing a pile of junk mail and bills at my mailman from across the lawn make me a whiny bitch?


No but posting about it does :D I kid, I kid.


:) I'm cool with whiny bitch. That damn mailman had it coming.

In all seriousness though, I don't fault ASU for using their newly acquired fame as a reason for putting question marks like myself on hold. I am, however, frustrated with hearing that "decisions will be out in May" just 24 hours after they were assuring me that the vast majority of decisions would be out on April 15th.


I bet they expect their yield to be higher because of the huge boost in rankings, and are worried the may have already accepted too many people. But may sucks because that means you might have to blow a deposit at another school waiting.


I really feel for those people still waiting who are up against seat deposit deadlines for other schools. For me, it is either ASU or nothing, so at least I don't have to worry about blowing a deposit elsewhere.

On the other hand, if I don't get into ASU, then I have to worry about law school ever being possible for me. Moving, at least in the next few years, is just not realistic for a hundred different reasons.

AsexualChocolate
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby AsexualChocolate » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:36 pm

So, my point was not that ASU is a horrible place with horrible people. Neither did I say anything about it being a sign that the school is poorly run. My apologies to anyone who took offense to a misinterpretation.

My thought is that if you are going to suspend or slow decisions until you see how your current admits materialize, start sweeping everyone to a waitlist so they know where they stand and can make decisions accordingly. Then, I'd be satisfied that I received what I paid for: an admissions decision in a reasonable amount of time. I sent out a $500 deposit today for my third choice school: out the window if ASU comes back with a smiley face.

Anyway, has anyone heard back from ASU in the last couple weeks or does it look like they've entirely halted decisions?

steven3579
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby steven3579 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm

I got my acceptance letter dated 4/08. Applied 2/1.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm

And alvin, hate to admit it, but I was actually thinking of a friend who always bitches to me about his cable company when I was writing that rant. Learn their rules and exploit them.


...


what?

is this code for 'throw a molotov cocktail into their lobby'? if not i dont understand what to do

User avatar
skamike
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby skamike » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 pm

I don't understand why people are getting upset because they haven't been given an answer from ASU yet. If you haven't heard from them yet, your chances of getting accepted are slim. Whether they designate you waitlist or not doesn't change that. We are all smart people here, so why are you guys upset that they haven't given you an official designation. You don't need official word to know you aren't their first choice.

ASU admissions are smart too. They have the majority of their class filled by deadline day. If you haven't heard from them, then it should be plain what the situation is. You aren't entitled to continuous status checks. You pay your money for the chance to apply. You are not in until you are accepted. What happens in between is irrelevant.

User avatar
pugalicious
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby pugalicious » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:35 pm

skamike wrote:I don't understand why people are getting upset because they haven't been given an answer from ASU yet. If you haven't heard from them yet, your chances of getting accepted are slim. Whether they designate you waitlist or not doesn't change that. We are all smart people here, so why are you guys upset that they haven't given you an official designation. You don't need official word to know you aren't their first choice.

ASU admissions are smart too. They have the majority of their class filled by deadline day. If you haven't heard from them, then it should be plain what the situation is. You aren't entitled to continuous status checks. You pay your money for the chance to apply. You are not in until you are accepted. What happens in between is irrelevant.


Do you have a horse in this race? Or are you just a troll? Also, YOU may have paid money for "the chance to apply", but I paid an "application fee" which covered, I thought, the decision process. Can I get a refund? : )

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:36 pm

skamike wrote:I don't understand why people are getting upset because they haven't been given an answer from ASU yet. If you haven't heard from them yet, your chances of getting accepted are slim. Whether they designate you waitlist or not doesn't change that. We are all smart people here, so why are you guys upset that they haven't given you an official designation. You don't need official word to know you aren't their first choice.

ASU admissions are smart too. They have the majority of their class filled by deadline day. If you haven't heard from them, then it should be plain what the situation is. You aren't entitled to continuous status checks. You pay your money for the chance to apply. You are not in until you are accepted. What happens in between is irrelevant.


i think something we all gain from this type of forum is a virtual community. in this case its nice bc we are all going through the same issues together. so we can share helpful information and experiences.

i'd like to recapitulate my previous point about this issue: you are wrong if you think this is asu's world and we're just living in it. do all universities do this? maybe. but i know u of a has a status checker. i know that asu has been behind other universities throughout this cycle. and i know Asexual reasonably established a motive regarding the usnwr ranking.

asu's tuition has skyrocketed over the last 10 years. this myth that paying customers cant complain-- even the myth that our complaints are purposeless- is an afront to the economic principals that make america GREAT!!1!

Image

User avatar
skamike
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby skamike » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:48 pm

pugalicious wrote:
skamike wrote:I don't understand why people are getting upset because they haven't been given an answer from ASU yet. If you haven't heard from them yet, your chances of getting accepted are slim. Whether they designate you waitlist or not doesn't change that. We are all smart people here, so why are you guys upset that they haven't given you an official designation. You don't need official word to know you aren't their first choice.

ASU admissions are smart too. They have the majority of their class filled by deadline day. If you haven't heard from them, then it should be plain what the situation is. You aren't entitled to continuous status checks. You pay your money for the chance to apply. You are not in until you are accepted. What happens in between is irrelevant.


Do you have a horse in this race? Or are you just a troll? Also, YOU may have paid money for "the chance to apply", but I paid an "application fee" which covered, I thought, the decision process. Can I get a refund? : )


and this, I think, is where the confusion lies. An application fee doesn't mean you are supposed to get updates, status checkers, etc. Yes, it's nice when schools do this, but nowhere does it say that applicants are entitled to one. Even if offered, most status checkers are borderline useless. For most schools, once you are "in/under review", you never hear from them again unless you are waitlisted, rejected, or accepted. What I don't understand is the demand for these pseudo-updates.

Also, to clarify, I am in the running. I applied early Feb and haven't heard anything other than an email stating my app is complete. However, the wait doesn't phase me, and it should phase anybody else, because for the most part, updates schools give are just as cryptic/unhelpful as nothing at all.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, BrainsyK, ellielaw, nimbus cloud and 10 guests