What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Krones
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Krones » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:01 am

AsexualChocolate wrote:Also deferred. WL'd at UofA today as well. Interested to hear everyone's numbers... Seems like nobody under 163 is willing to post in profile (me included). I'm a 3.56 LSAC (small private U), 157 (embarrassed to admit).


Deferred at both U of A and ASU. 157/3.68

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:48 am

156/4.03. Still haven't heard anything back yet. I hope to hear soon, ASU is one of my top choices, I love the area. Also waiting on UNLV.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 am

Padimud wrote:I had a conversation with the person in charge of financial aid/scholarship and was told that ASU has a special endowment where they have excess money for the upcoming year. I was also told that scholarships are front-loaded with the thought that students can work in years 2 and 3. So there you go, it is just a first year scholarship, but it is a scholarship none the less.


cool thanks for the update.


good luck everybody! tempe is a fun city and phoenix has so much potential-- i hope to meet many of you next fall

Sundance1
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Sundance1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:54 pm

I am in - but am non traditional. 161/3.5UGPA. But masters degree at 3.8GPA. am old - late 40s. :)

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Sundance1 wrote:I am in - but am non traditional. 161/3.5UGPA. But masters degree at 3.8GPA. am old - late 40s. :)


COOL. congrats. do you know if yer gonna go, or are you waiting on some other schools?

personally.. i think you should choose ASU! i think non-traditional students are the best. understanding the demands of various workplaces, the advantages of professionalism, and the potential of a law degree.

if yer not sure, let us know what factors yer considering

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Also Deferred... Seems like there are many of us. I thought I was going to get rejected outright, so I'm not too bummed

Good Luck all.
Last edited by Scurredsitless1 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sundance1
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Sundance1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:01 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
Sundance1 wrote:I am in - but am non traditional. 161/3.5UGPA. But masters degree at 3.8GPA. am old - late 40s. :)


COOL. congrats. do you know if yer gonna go, or are you waiting on some other schools?

personally.. i think you should choose ASU! i think non-traditional students are the best. understanding the demands of various workplaces, the advantages of professionalism, and the potential of a law degree.

if yer not sure, let us know what factors yer considering


thanks aIvin. i am definitely accepting. very excited. see you there?

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:05 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:Also Deferred... Seems like there are many of us. 159, 3.35. I thought I was going to get rejected outright, so I'm not too bummed

Good Luck all.


yay! yah keep yer hopes up - i dont know what % of new students on any given year started out as deferred, but its enough that you've got a good shot.

thanks aIvin. i am definitely accepting. very excited. see you there?

thats awesome. do you live in the valley now? and were you working before this or straight from grad school (which would be strange, but interesting lol).

i submitted my application like 2 weeks ago. i wish i would ahve done ED but i was hesitant about whether or not i could afford to go. now i look back and cant figure out what i was thinking, since its not like you HAVE to go if you apply ED... oh well. i may not know til may! but ive decided that im IN so im not thinking about it much :D

Sundance1
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Sundance1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:14 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:Also Deferred... Seems like there are many of us. 159, 3.35. I thought I was going to get rejected outright, so I'm not too bummed

Good Luck all.


yay! yah keep yer hopes up - i dont know what % of new students on any given year started out as deferred, but its enough that you've got a good shot.

thanks aIvin. i am definitely accepting. very excited. see you there?

thats awesome. do you live in the valley now? and were you working before this or straight from grad school (which would be strange, but interesting lol).

i submitted my application like 2 weeks ago. i wish i would ahve done ED but i was hesitant about whether or not i could afford to go. now i look back and cant figure out what i was thinking, since its not like you HAVE to go if you apply ED... oh well. i may not know til may! but ive decided that im IN so im not thinking about it much :D

got it - too funny. well, i'll bet you hear good news. i am way far out of grad school - and yes, i live in the Valley already, i have for five years. i just decided i really wanted a career change and that the one thing i would be sorry never to do was become a lawyer. strange, i know.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:20 pm

Sundance1 wrote:got it - too funny. well, i'll bet you hear good news. i am way far out of grad school - and yes, i live in the Valley already, i have for five years. i just decided i really wanted a career change and that the one thing i would be sorry never to do was become a lawyer. strange, i know.


well its not typical but its not a strange decision imo. ive only been out of school working for a couple years but i thought of law school smth like getting a tattoo-- im not certain ill wake up every morning glad i did it, but im certain that ill never regret it. and i was starting to regret not doing it, which is a terrible feeling. so im going back.

:P my dad went to law school when he was 35. loved it.

Sundance1
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Sundance1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:26 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
Sundance1 wrote:got it - too funny. well, i'll bet you hear good news. i am way far out of grad school - and yes, i live in the Valley already, i have for five years. i just decided i really wanted a career change and that the one thing i would be sorry never to do was become a lawyer. strange, i know.


well its not typical but its not a strange decision imo. ive only been out of school working for a couple years but i thought of law school smth like getting a tattoo-- im not certain ill wake up every morning glad i did it, but im certain that ill never regret it. and i was starting to regret not doing it, which is a terrible feeling. so im going back.

:P my dad went to law school when he was 35. loved it.


love the tattoo analogy - that is perfect. good for you deciding to do it - and it's a great time. may as well spend the next few years becoming "more", rather than just doing a job you aren't totally attached too. good for your dad, too. my dad was a lawyer as well.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:30 pm

it will be hard to give up this job because i really like it and i love the field. im hoping to do similar work after law school, but be a lot more effective at it.

but i look around and im one of the only people my age with a liberal arts education who is doing the job they wanted when the economy was still gangbusters.. and i wonder why im leaving.. but oh well. it will just keep me motivated to study hard when i'd rather post on TLS :o

Sundance1
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Sundance1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 pm

aIvin adams wrote:it will be hard to give up this job because i really like it and i love the field. im hoping to do similar work after law school, but be a lot more effective at it.

but i look around and im one of the only people my age with a liberal arts education who is doing the job they wanted when the economy was still gangbusters.. and i wonder why im leaving.. but oh well. it will just keep me motivated to study hard when i'd rather post on TLS :o


what kind of work do you do?

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby usuaggie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:Also Deferred... Seems like there are many of us. 159, 3.35. I thought I was going to get rejected outright, so I'm not too bummed

Good Luck all.



dang that is me. hope I get in with a full ride and cash to spend.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Sundance1 wrote:
aIvin adams wrote:it will be hard to give up this job because i really like it and i love the field. im hoping to do similar work after law school, but be a lot more effective at it.

but i look around and im one of the only people my age with a liberal arts education who is doing the job they wanted when the economy was still gangbusters.. and i wonder why im leaving.. but oh well. it will just keep me motivated to study hard when i'd rather post on TLS :o


what kind of work do you do?


i work for a transitional housing program which serves families.

i am interesting in housing advocacy in general, but my interests outside of work are focused on housing for ex-convicts and recovering addicts. we've historically had some real stinkers here in the valley, but there's been a lot of positive policy advocacy lately, not to mention some impressive self-regulation from w/in the industry. either way, i think a legal education will help me participate in that industry in the future.

tonight i am going to go to an HLAP event (homeless legal assistance project). asu law students volunteer at homeless shelters, interviewing shelter residents and helping them access legal resources to handle issues that often are contributing to their homelessness. it rocks. at my job i do a lot of stuff with vacating felonies, dealing w child support, and probably countless other things i will be able to do better after law school.

speaking of public interest law, i arrived at this website today (at lunch! i was working!): http://www.azflse.org/azflse/grants/joyce_holsey.cfm The woman who emailed me at AZFLSE was very helpful.

Sundance1
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Sundance1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:46 pm

that's fantastic. it sounds like a law degree will definitely be useful. i hope you'll get in.

kaya_belly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby kaya_belly » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:00 am

Congrats to those who were accepted!

ASU is my top choice, and quite possibly my only chance of going to law school right now. I have applied to other schools out-of-state, but my family is so rooted in the Phoenix area that I am not sure moving is realistic.

User avatar
Midnight Rider
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Midnight Rider » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Sundance1 wrote:I am in - but am non traditional. 161/3.5UGPA. But masters degree at 3.8GPA. am old - late 40s. :)


With no status checker to compulsively watch, I am trying to play it cool waiting to hear from ASU. What was your timeframe like from submission of app to decision?

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:07 pm

when do you 'go complete'? i received an email notification. is that it? or will i be notified that ive 'gone complete' by snail mail?

did everyone receive admission by mail or were you emailed first?

why does this even matter. PANIC

User avatar
Midnight Rider
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Midnight Rider » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:06 pm

aIvin adams wrote:when do you 'go complete'? i received an email notification. is that it? or will i be notified that ive 'gone complete' by snail mail?

did everyone receive admission by mail or were you emailed first?

why does this even matter. PANIC


Apparently it's going to be a while unless you were early admit. No status checker emails from what I've seen on here. I wish I could find out if I should worry about coming through on a visit while I'm seeing other schools out that way.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:
Apparently it's going to be a while unless you were early admit.

any reason for saying htis? other than the fact that nobody on regular admit has heard anything? im trying to decide whether my daily anxiety over checking the mail is warranted. im not even sure its negotiable but i'd be interested in trying... :?

I wish I could find out if I should worry about coming through on a visit while I'm seeing other schools out that way.


well, if you have any questions that you think ic ould help with PM me. i went to asu for UG, have lived in tempe or phoenix most of my life, and have a few friends at sandra day oconnor

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 pm

i'd like to talk to someone who has participated in the indian legal clinic. it says its a big deal on asu's website but i dunno if they're tootin their own horn or if it's really a program that can prepare you for tribal courts.

User avatar
Midnight Rider
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby Midnight Rider » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:07 pm

most.boring.thread.ever.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby aIvin adams » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:most.boring.thread.ever.


Image

hth

AsexualChocolate
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 am

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Postby AsexualChocolate » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:44 pm

I vote for the blonde to the right of the center redhead. :twisted:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”