What's up with Arizona State (ASU)? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sundance1

New

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Post by Sundance1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Trifles wrote:Still nothing on LSN about anyone hearing anything :( As someone who didn't apply early action, this makes me fear I will be waiting a very very long time to hear any response.

I heard end of month for early apps, then the rest following. LSN last year shows some notices all the way through april. i can't wait to hear.

Krones

New

Post by Krones » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Nothing like waiting until the last minute, eh? I guess this means it'll be next week.

nickc8

Bronze

Post by nickc8 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:54 pm

School? wrote:Any EA people hear anything? I applied EA and still haven't heard anything since my complete email last year.... COME ON ASU.
Dang, I saw there was activity on the thread and thought notices were finally going out :(

I applied EA and still nothing. I guess they technically have 3 more days, right?

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:57 pm

nickc8 wrote:
School? wrote:Any EA people hear anything? I applied EA and still haven't heard anything since my complete email last year.... COME ON ASU.
Dang, I saw there was activity on the thread and thought notices were finally going out :(

I applied EA and still nothing. I guess they technically have 3 more days, right?
+1000. I thought the same thing. This is ridiculous EA to be the last school to render a decision?

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 pm

So what are your theories about the wait? Addcom strike? So many applications they have to wade through boxes of them to get to their desks? Wanting to sort through the regular admission apps before they decide to let in the EA people? All the applications caught on fire and they just don't want to tell people about it yet? The longer they go without admitting anyone, the more crazy my theories get... :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 pm

School? wrote:I think they trying to see how high they can stack the applications on the desk...and they are waiting to read any until the pile reaches the ceiling...
Yeah, maybe they're playing Jenga with our applications

Midnight Rider

New

Post by Midnight Rider » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:02 pm

I got my complete email on 1/20 which promised a decision by "mid-May". It says that all EA's will be done by late January. It's getting pretty flippin late, eh? Also, I may lose it if I have to wait until May. How am I supposed to know if I need to invest in more flip flops?

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:06 pm

I got a call from an admissions officer yesterday asking me to send an application, so they obviously are still trying to get people to apply (it was really weird getting a phone call rather than an email, and i was pissed when i saw an area-code i didn't recognize and it wasn't an admissions officer from a school to which i applied)

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:I got my complete email on 1/20 which promised a decision by "mid-May". It says that all EA's will be done by late January. It's getting pretty flippin late, eh? Also, I may lose it if I have to wait until May. How am I supposed to know if I need to invest in more flip flops?
That is sooo late. Most schools require seats deposits well before May!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:02 pm

This is helping solidify my decision NOT to go to ASU. I'm currently in my 4th year there and I kind of want to go somewhere new.

Besides that though, the application process for ASU has sucked. They don't grant merit based fee waivers via email like every other school. No, instead they make you fill out a form for need based waivers and submit it with academic info instead of the requested financial info. Kind of ridiculous. Then, because they don't grant the waiver via CRS, you have to print out the certification letter and mail it in separately.

Nearly a month after mailing my certification letter, I called to ask the admissions office if my application was complete. They said they hadn't received the letter. They lost it. Then, they tell me I can only print out the certification letter once on LSAC's website, but they'll gladly send me another letter at my current address. Are you kidding?!! I said, "No thanks, I'll come down to the admissions office and sign it there."

Now I know my experience probably isn't typical, but it hasn't done much to leave a good impression. If push comes to shove and I stay in AZ for law school, I think I'd pick UA.

fallguy

New

Post by fallguy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:04 pm

sundevil77 wrote:This is helping solidify my decision NOT to go to ASU. I'm currently in my 4th year there and I kind of want to go somewhere new.

Besides that though, the application process for ASU has sucked. They don't grant merit based fee waivers via email like every other school. No, instead they make you fill out a form for need based waivers and submit it with academic info instead of the requested financial info. Kind of ridiculous. Then, because they don't grant the waiver via CRS, you have to print out the certification letter and mail it in separately.

Nearly a month after mailing my certification letter, I called to ask the admissions office if my application was complete. They said they hadn't received the letter. They lost it. Then, they tell me I can only print out the certification letter once on LSAC's website, but they'll gladly send me another letter at my current address. Are you kidding?!! I said, "No thanks, I'll come down to the admissions office and sign it there."

Now I know my experience probably isn't typical, but it hasn't done much to leave a good impression. If push comes to shove and I stay in AZ for law school, I think I'd pick UA.
I had the exact same experience. I had to apply first and request they wave the fee after (what happens if they don't grant the waiver? Do they request a check before they'll review the app?). Then they lost my certification letter.

I, too, am less than impressed.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:29 pm

fallguy wrote:I had the exact same experience. I had to apply first and request they wave the fee after (what happens if they don't grant the waiver? Do they request a check before they'll review the app?). Then they lost my certification letter.

LOL. Funny that this isn't an isolated incident.

Another thing...they should have a status checker. UofA has one and their admissions office just seems to be much more on the ball in general imo.

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Any wagers on decisions today?

I am thinking that ASU may be the only school left that has not offered one seat yet? Sadly this anxiety of knowing nothing has only pushed them down my desired destination list.

I also had a similar experience receiving a merit- based waiver. Come on ASU - I just want to love you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Midnight Rider

New

Post by Midnight Rider » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Padimud wrote:Any wagers on decisions today?

I am thinking that ASU may be the only school left that has not offered one seat yet? Sadly this anxiety of knowing nothing has only pushed them down my desired destination list.

I also had a similar experience receiving a merit- based waiver. Come on ASU - I just want to love you.
My wager goes for having a batch of decisions released on Friday.

Seriously...I really do have a crush on ASU, but she looks really hard to deal with and I'm scared she won't call me back. I don't want to psycho dial/email her to find things out, but she doesn't have a status posting ability so I may have to reconsider, should this drag through February.

I got on the ship relatively late in the game, but based on the number of people who are still waiting, then the best I can hope for is that they are doing a big batch at once and I get included in the first batch. Otherwise, if I'm at the bottom of the pile, I could be waiting.

Any thoughts on having alums recommend you to get your app to the top of the pile? One guy who recommended me has colleagues who are alums and is strongly suggesting this.

jahallc

New

Post by jahallc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Seriously, this is just crazy. The pile must be out of control by now. I'm hoping the admissions people have at least met today, so they can begin mailing decisions tomorrow.

This makes me question my interest in ASU.

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Eh. UNLV hasn't really done much either. Must be cuz these schools are out in the desert and there are no phones or internet there...

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

I'm amused that ASU's version of EA basically means nothing. I've received tons of decisions already and not a peep from ASU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Asilkman

New

Post by Asilkman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Hmm...last weekday of January tomorrow. I imagine adcomms are probably not going to be in on Saturday or Sunday so who wants to bet EA decisions get pushed to February?

fallguy

New

Post by fallguy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Asilkman wrote:Hmm...last weekday of January tomorrow. I imagine adcomms are probably not going to be in on Saturday or Sunday so who wants to bet EA decisions get pushed to February?
Do you suppose they'll give me an extra hour or so to type my exams?

Asilkman

New

Post by Asilkman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:28 pm

fallguy wrote:
Asilkman wrote:Hmm...last weekday of January tomorrow. I imagine adcomms are probably not going to be in on Saturday or Sunday so who wants to bet EA decisions get pushed to February?
Do you suppose they'll give me an extra hour or so to type my exams?
Probably $$$$ too as a way of trying to make amends for missing their deadline. I figure if we're dreaming, we might as well go big :D

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:40 pm

fallguy wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:This is helping solidify my decision NOT to go to ASU. I'm currently in my 4th year there and I kind of want to go somewhere new.

I had the exact same experience. I had to apply first and request they wave the fee after (what happens if they don't grant the waiver? Do they request a check before they'll review the app?). Then they lost my certification letter.

I too had a very similar situation regarding a merit fee waiver. Their application process has essentially convinced me not to attend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Midnight Rider

New

Post by Midnight Rider » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:05 pm

As someone who has never stayed in Phoenix/Tempe for more than a business trip, am I going to have a decent life as a grown ass man living in Tempe near the school? I enjoy a collegiate atmosphere, having gone to a big Southern school, but I know if I went back where I went to UG this many years later, I'd feel old for the town. I know that the metro area is huge, but is the Tempe corner of it good for slightly immature grown folks?

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:12 pm

living in tempe for 3 yrs is soo tempting coming from east lansing...

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:
As someone who has never stayed in Phoenix/Tempe for more than a business trip, am I going to have a decent life as a grown ass man living in Tempe near the school? I enjoy a collegiate atmosphere, having gone to a big Southern school, but I know if I went back where I went to UG this many years later, I'd feel old for the town. I know that the metro area is huge, but is the Tempe corner of it good for slightly immature grown folks?
You'll probably love it in the valley. I forgot to add that I've lived most of my life in the valley, not just my years at ASU. I'm looking for a change of schools for a few years. It's nothing personal against ASU (well, maybe just a little) I just want to experience something different.

Krones

New

Post by Krones » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:40 pm

I guess I'm not so much upset about the likelihood of not hearing anything today. I'm just disappointed that they haven't even sent out an email telling everyone there would be a delay. I guess they still have a few more hours...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”