What's up with Arizona State (ASU)? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
atfarmer

New

Re: What's up with Arizona State (ASU)?

Post by atfarmer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Anybody see the leaked USNWR rankings thread? ASU jumped all the way to 38 and passed Arizona. Makes the waitlist I just got from AU yesterday much easier to handle 8)

Usernamepassword

New

Post by Usernamepassword » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:48 pm

I was hoping they would drop to 90 or something so people would withdraw and I could get in!!!! Im deferred from EA and still waiting....

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Yes. I really wanted to go before, but now I'm like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09f33hC ... ed#t=0m38s

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:28 pm

ASU went up 20 spots? That seems a little fake. If it's not, then it's damn impressive!

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:30 pm

Well played quickquestion. That's about the funniest post I've seen on TLS

:D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:38 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Yes. I really wanted to go before, but now I'm like this:
LOL. one of the best movies ever.

i didnt realize you were thinking about going to asu. if you go then join the fbook group. we can faith heal each other after flunking exams.

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Usernamepassword wrote:I was hoping they would drop to 90 or something so people would withdraw and I could get in!!!! Im deferred from EA and still waiting....
I'm also deferred from EA and waiting for a decision. I called today to see what the approximate timeline was for receiving a decision and they said they're gonna try to make the majority of their decision by this Friday. Hope we both get good news

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:52 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:Yes. I really wanted to go before, but now I'm like this:
LOL. one of the best movies ever.

i didnt realize you were thinking about going to asu. if you go then join the fbook group. we can faith heal each other after flunking exams.

Yup. That part where he gets attacked by the dog...that's me getting rejected from Hastings.

AngelAuthor

New

Post by AngelAuthor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:16 am

You know, it just occurred to me this that this whole "held for RD review" bit by ASU may just be their fancy way of doing a waitlist.

Think about it: They're abnormally slow in making their regular decisions, right? They've already demanded seat deposits from people who have gotten accepted...and those seat deposits are due what...by the 15th? And they say they'll have most of their decisions reached by...THE 15?!?!

They're waiting to see how many deposits they get before they decide on the rest of us schmucks. In other words...waitlisted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhisperingWinston

New

Post by WhisperingWinston » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:10 am

sanpiero wrote:One described it as a 50/50 shot even if you do all the aforementioned things right. There will be workshops and 2/3Ls to talk to once you enroll, which will make the process easier. But, avoid making your decision on whether or not to attend based on the Dean's opinion of the difficulty of the process. In calculating cost, I would assume residency for 3L but not 2L. HTH
It's not easy, but if you do everything you will get it. The people that bitch are the ones that failed to register their car in Arizona immediately after they moved, or went home and used their debit card. Read all the requirements and follow them all. Don't make any stupid mistakes and you will get it.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:56 am

WhisperingWinston wrote:
sanpiero wrote:One described it as a 50/50 shot even if you do all the aforementioned things right. There will be workshops and 2/3Ls to talk to once you enroll, which will make the process easier. But, avoid making your decision on whether or not to attend based on the Dean's opinion of the difficulty of the process. In calculating cost, I would assume residency for 3L but not 2L. HTH
It's not easy, but if you do everything you will get it. The people that bitch are the ones that failed to register their car in Arizona immediately after they moved, or went home and used their debit card. Read all the requirements and follow them all. Don't make any stupid mistakes and you will get it.

What bothers me is that I've been an AZ resident my entire life and have paid state taxes to no other state but Arizona. I was born here, went to grade school here, but because I did a 3 month internship out of state the summer before applying, I was referred to the Office of Residency or something like that. Now, I understand if they want to verify me for tuition sake, but I sure hope I'm considered a resident for the admissions process.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:28 am

AngelAuthor wrote:You know, it just occurred to me this that this whole "held for RD review" bit by ASU may just be their fancy way of doing a waitlist.

Think about it: They're abnormally slow in making their regular decisions, right? They've already demanded seat deposits from people who have gotten accepted...and those seat deposits are due what...by the 15th? And they say they'll have most of their decisions reached by...THE 15?!?!

They're waiting to see how many deposits they get before they decide on the rest of us schmucks. In other words...waitlisted.
Some of us have had next to no response. All I know is that they have my application and that it's complete and that they might be reviewing it. Otherwise, nothing. They've been somewhat splitter friendly in the past (at least at my LSAT; and all of the rejections this year have had GPA's lower than mine), so I haven't given up hope yet. With the new ascent into T1, I have to admit I'm more interested in ASU than I was a week ago.

Usernamepassword

New

Post by Usernamepassword » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm

I've never looked forward to tax day before...but im hoping for a response!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AngelAuthor

New

Post by AngelAuthor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:42 pm

keg411 wrote: Some of us have had next to no response. All I know is that they have my application and that it's complete and that they might be reviewing it. Otherwise, nothing. They've been somewhat splitter friendly in the past (at least at my LSAT; and all of the rejections this year have had GPA's lower than mine), so I haven't given up hope yet. With the new ascent into T1, I have to admit I'm more interested in ASU than I was a week ago.
yeah, I think you to and those like you have been "waitlisted" without being waitlisted as well. My guess is your application has been seen and reviewed and put in the "Hmmm...let's wait and see how many seat deposits we get." pile.

Are there any really strong (162+LSAT, 3.6+gpa) applicants out there who have yet to hear back from ASU?

Izzle13

New

Post by Izzle13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:16 pm

Usernamepassword wrote:I've never looked forward to tax day before...but im hoping for a response!
FWIW, I just spoke to the admissions office - still no decision on my file (complete as of 11/6/09) and they are now saying that most of the decisions should be out in the next two weeks.

Usernamepassword

New

Post by Usernamepassword » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

They keep changing the date on us!

Kwijiboe

New

Post by Kwijiboe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Wonder if their ranking wil influence this cycle's decisions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kwijiboe

New

Post by Kwijiboe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Wonder if their ranking wil influence this cycle's decisions.

SuperGenius

New

Post by SuperGenius » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi guys, new to the site and first post (My wife told me about this whole internet thing last week). I'm looking forward to seeing all of you at ASU this fall. I was accepted on 2/2 and finally broke down and sent in my seat deposit $$$ to beat the deadline. Good luck, all!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:46 pm

AngelAuthor wrote:
keg411 wrote: Some of us have had next to no response. All I know is that they have my application and that it's complete and that they might be reviewing it. Otherwise, nothing. They've been somewhat splitter friendly in the past (at least at my LSAT; and all of the rejections this year have had GPA's lower than mine), so I haven't given up hope yet. With the new ascent into T1, I have to admit I'm more interested in ASU than I was a week ago.
yeah, I think you to and those like you have been "waitlisted" without being waitlisted as well. My guess is your application has been seen and reviewed and put in the "Hmmm...let's wait and see how many seat deposits we get." pile.

Are there any really strong (162+LSAT, 3.6+gpa) applicants out there who have yet to hear back from ASU?
Well, I technically wasn't complete until March due to a February LSAT. So there is a huge chance they haven't looked at my application yet. I'm also a splitter, which tend to be decided on late to protect medians. But yeah, I'm guessing it's another WL.

Yellowcard

New

Post by Yellowcard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Anyone else a little worried that the huge jump in rankings is artificial? I'm choosing between ASU and U of A and the jump in rankings makes me skeptical about ASU. Can anyone explain this huge jump?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Yellowcard wrote:Anyone else a little worried that the huge jump in rankings is artificial? I'm choosing between ASU and U of A and the jump in rankings makes me skeptical about ASU. Can anyone explain this huge jump?
Manipulatin of employment statistics? ASU reported 91% employed at graduation while UA reported only 77%. I've said this in another forum, but I find it hard to believe that two very similar schools competing in the same market have such disparate employment statistics. I think this has more to with USNWR's loose definition of "employed." This isn't meant as a disrespect to ASU. I'm sure admissions officers everywhere manipulate the data they report to USNWR.

Yellowcard

New

Post by Yellowcard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:44 pm

So by changing the employment data they jumped 17 spots? Is that really all they had to do? Was there anything legitimate that they may have done (statistically speaking) that improved their position?

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:47 pm

SuperGenius wrote:Hi guys, new to the site and first post (My wife told me about this whole internet thing last week). I'm looking forward to seeing all of you at ASU this fall. I was accepted on 2/2 and finally broke down and sent in my seat deposit $$$ to beat the deadline. Good luck, all!
welcome to TLS! look forward to meeting you next year. dont get lost on the internet- its a big place with a lot of nudists and libertarians.

dont forget to post here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=112031 :wink:

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:53 pm

Yellowcard wrote:So by changing the employment data they jumped 17 spots? Is that really all they had to do? Was there anything legitimate that they may have done (statistically speaking) that improved their position?
according to dean berman, lsat scores have been rising. lsat, expenditures per student, and student/fac ratio are all usnwr criteria iirc and have all been improving at asu.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”