U Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
william wallace

Re: U Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2010

Postby william wallace » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:40 pm

that last post has to win some beauty points. I got a 198 on the index. Want to go there. Come on life!!!

Did my UG at Fayetteville.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 am

william wallace wrote:Someone wrote about going to school with an older student body and ualr being in a bad part of town.

UALR isn't in that bad of an area. I wouldn't make that a factor at all. It's at the interstate junction of I-30 and I-630.

I haven't looked at the stats, but I would guess that UALR has more non-traditional students.

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 am

avg at UA is 25 and 27 at UALR.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:55 am

hsprophet wrote:
william wallace wrote:Someone wrote about going to school with an older student body and ualr being in a bad part of town.

UALR isn't in that bad of an area. I wouldn't make that a factor at all. It's at the interstate junction of I-30 and I-630.

I haven't looked at the stats, but I would guess that UALR has more non-traditional students.

You're correct: UALR is nowhere near as pretty as UA, but it's not in a bad part of town. Bowen's in a much better spot than the rest of the university.

For what it's worth, I'm in at UALR, have been here for a while, and would be one of those 25yo+ students. I will instead be moving out of state.

I've seen the question pop up about UALR vs. UA job prospects. ... You'll be fine. Either place. Arkansas, as you outsiders will learn, is a tiny place. And not just geographically. Everybody knows everybody, especially in the legal community.

I'm fairly certain that UA is regarded as the better school academically. But UALR will certainly get its good students ready for jobs and has a good rep on its own (tons of state judges and two federal district judges are among UALR alumni). That said, UALR doesn't have too many yearly graduates to compete with UA students -- I think it's less than 100 incoming students FT/PT combined. So, go to Fayetteville, fall in love with Arkansas (no, really) and come down to Little Rock after graduation for the "big city" jobs/living.

Another thing out-of-staters will learn (and are seeing already) ... Arkansas is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. There are lots of tradeoffs to get that, of course.

finigol

Postby finigol » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:50 pm

I chose UALR over Fayetteville this cycle because UALR gave me a better offer.

That being said Fayetteville has a tiny bit better faculty, and certainly has a nicer building.

The real decision maker was that it won’t really affect my employment prospects either way. Both schools are held in good esteem around the state.

deadlast

Postby deadlast » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Looks like UA moved up to 86th in US News Rankings...

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... tems/03005

doubled99

Postby doubled99 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Would anyone happen to know when the last possible day is that I could move from out-of-state and still get in-state tuition for the Spring semester?

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

doubled99 wrote:Would anyone happen to know when the last possible day is that I could move from out-of-state and still get in-state tuition for the Spring semester?

On the residency forms I received it said 6 months from the start of the semester. It also said that appointments begin in November and should be completed before December (I assume you do not need residency by the appointment). I would estimate that moving in by the end of June or before the middle of July would be the latest--according to their timeline.

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:27 pm

william wallace wrote:Well, they moved up last year for one. Then a 2L there told me they would move up after winning National Moot court. I don't think that should make a school move up but it could. It's sort of BS anyways.

I think I would enjoy Fayetteville more but I don't know about working afterwards. I want to go to UA. More gov. jobs in LR but couldn't one make that up after 4-5 years out of school? I wish one of these schools simply didn't exist.

Someone wrote about going to school with an older student body and ualr being in a bad part of town.

Can I just +1 from here because I'm tired? Thanks

thechecker wrote:
william wallace wrote:Can anyone say why one school, either UA or UALR, is better than the other? Yes, I know UALR is T3 and UA is T2. Why is that? Is one really better?

New rankings soon. I hear Fayetteville will move up.

I hope you are right, but what makes you believe that? Have you heard anything with substance?

+1 on predictions :lol:

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Just sent in my seat deposit. Now to find a place to live.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 pm

mdallavis wrote:Just sent in my seat deposit. Now to find a place to live.

Same situation; flying down in May to look at apartments.

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:00 pm

I was just accepted today BUT it was a "tentative" admission. I have to send in an official transcript. I thought the LSAC one would work but I guess they want their own copy? I have to send in the $75 by this tuesday (pretty soon), fill out a Character Report and some other stuff. Hmm. Is this really admission? Anyone experience this?

I'm in at UALR too and trying to decide where to go. Went to UA for undergrad so already have done the Fayetteville thing, which was glorious.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 pm

I had to send in another copy of my transcript as well. Sent my $75, a character statement, and a small picture (weird) as well. I called the dean's office to see what I absolutely had to send by tomorrow, and the secretary told me that the check had to be postmarked by the 16th. The letter stated that it must be received by the 16th. So I overnighted it. Safety first!

I found some studio apartments near campus that look great. Well, cheap. Cheap is great.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 pm

mdallavis wrote:I had to send in another copy of my transcript as well. Sent my $75, a character statement, and a small picture (weird) as well. I called the dean's office to see what I absolutely had to send by tomorrow, and the secretary told me that the check had to be postmarked by the 16th. The letter stated that it must be received by the 16th. So I overnighted it. Safety first!

I found some studio apartments near campus that look great. Well, cheap. Cheap is great.

Had to send the same things also. I asked about the picture and they said they attach it to our admissions folder (put a face to a name).

Thomas.of.Hunter

Postby Thomas.of.Hunter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:38 am

dgthree wrote:
doubled99 wrote:Would anyone happen to know when the last possible day is that I could move from out-of-state and still get in-state tuition for the Spring semester?

On the residency forms I received it said 6 months from the start of the semester. It also said that appointments begin in November and should be completed before December (I assume you do not need residency by the appointment). I would estimate that moving in by the end of June or before the middle of July would be the latest--according to their timeline.

Last edited by Thomas.of.Hunter on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:03 am

mdallavis wrote:I had to send in another copy of my transcript as well. Sent my $75, a character statement, and a small picture (weird) as well. I called the dean's office to see what I absolutely had to send by tomorrow, and the secretary told me that the check had to be postmarked by the 16th. The letter stated that it must be received by the 16th. So I overnighted it. Safety first!

Thanks for acknowledging the prediction. I can't take credit though, the forum has to receive some credit for turning me into a numbers whore who yearns to do so (j/k I love all of you).

Okay, so it seems like you (MDallavis) were notified yesterday by mail as well. I guess the only thing that is due is the check. So, the check has to be postmarked by the 16th? That is today. Gosh. I'm not in the country. Hmm. This is how you find out who your real friends are back home. Can we have a PM about the rest of this? Congrats on getting in! If you're not from AR I think you will be suprised. I wish I could have been born again 50 years from now b/c NWA is blowin' up!!!!

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:09 am

Also, what's the deal with the transcript

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:47 am

william wallace wrote:Also, what's the deal with the transcript

All schools request an official hardcopy transcript to keep on file. Every school I have been accepted to has had that as a requirement for completing my packet and being an "official student".

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:23 am

william wallace wrote:

Thanks for acknowledging the prediction. I can't take credit though, the forum has to receive some credit for turning me into a numbers whore who yearns to do so (j/k I love all of you).

Okay, so it seems like you (MDallavis) were notified yesterday by mail as well. I guess the only thing that is due is the check. So, the check has to be postmarked by the 16th? That is today. Gosh. I'm not in the country. Hmm. This is how you find out who your real friends are back home. Can we have a PM about the rest of this? Congrats on getting in! If you're not from AR I think you will be suprised. I wish I could have been born again 50 years from now b/c NWA is blowin' up!!!!

To be fair, I received my letter about a month ago. I was just lazy about sending it in. Yours might be different if you were accepted later.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:27 am

Thomas.of.Hunter wrote:
dgthree wrote:

You also have to be 23 or married.

from the website on reclassification --LinkRemoved--

The application must be received by the Registrar’s Office no later than the fifth day of classes for the term for which reduced tuition is requested (second day of classes for Summer Sessions). Applications received after the deadline will be considered for the next semester.

Does anyone know if the notarized packet can be done by the bursars office? Or does it have to be notarized by a non-university notary.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 pm

Anyone have the email of the person in charge of scholarships? Thanks.

Thomas.of.Hunter

Postby Thomas.of.Hunter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:28 pm

mdallavis wrote:Anyone have the email of the person in charge of scholarships? Thanks.

no
Last edited by Thomas.of.Hunter on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:30 pm

I called him yesterday and was told to talk with someone in Financial Aid. On my scholarship letter there was a contact email, but I'm at work and the letter is at home.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:09 pm

mdallavis wrote:I called him yesterday and was told to talk with someone in Financial Aid. On my scholarship letter there was a contact email, but I'm at work and the letter is at home.

On my scholarship letter the contact email is Dean Miller.

doubled99

Postby doubled99 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Anyone else out there make the decision to go to Fayetteville?!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”