U Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
deadlast

Re: U Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2010

Postby deadlast » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:05 pm

I'll be there as well. Going from Seattle to Fayetteville, definitely ready for some culture shock.

Where is everybody else coming from?

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:50 pm

I will be coming from Maine.

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:36 pm

deadlast wrote:I believe I did, I am out of state and my prediction index is about 201 based on the below criteria.

"The prediction index is calculated as follows: (LSAT score) plus (13.4 x UGPA) = Prediction Index . For example, if an applicant has an LSAT score of 160 and a 3.00 UGPA, his/her prediction index would be 200.

We will grant index admission to non-residents who have a prediction index of 205 or above and to Arkansas residents who have a prediction index of 200 or above. If space permits, we may offer index admission to other applicants."
[/i]

My addmission letter didn't say anything about non-index admission though. So I am not entirley sure.

bringing back an old topic. I am not sure how closely they follow the index. It seems like most applicants meet the 200 requirement but to get to 205 puts you at a ~3.45 and ~159 (other combos obviously work). I think as long as LSAT or GPA is higher than median an applicant probably has a decent chance.

doubled99

Postby doubled99 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:16 pm

I will be coming down from Ohio

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:57 am

Can anyone say why one school, either UA or UALR, is better than the other? Yes, I know UALR is T3 and UA is T2. Why is that? Is one really better?

New rankings soon. I hear Fayetteville will move up.

beepermad

Postby beepermad » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:20 am

william wallace wrote:Can anyone say why one school, either UA or UALR, is better than the other? Yes, I know UALR is T3 and UA is T2. Why is that? Is one really better?

Not really sure why...may have to do with bar and employment stats...

As a former Arkansan, I know that Fayetteville is looked at as a better school within the state (without any specific reason why). I'm going there over UALR because the latter is filled with adult students and right on the border of Little Rock's more crime-infused areas. UA also has a lot more funding because of the Waltons, so the campus is nicer...and being primarily people around my age (23), there's more of a youth culture. Plus, everyone I know who goes/went there loves it, whereas there's nothing but bitching coming out of UALR.

I'm superficial, though. Totes magotes.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:00 am

doubled99 wrote:I will be coming down from Ohio

I'm in Arkansas and I'll be going up to Ohio.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:05 am

william wallace wrote:Can anyone say why one school, either UA or UALR, is better than the other? Yes, I know UALR is T3 and UA is T2. Why is that? Is one really better?

If you are going to practice in Arkansas, I wouldn't think it would matter which school you went to. The bigger firms in the state are in Little Rock; northwest Arkansas firms are pretty small. UA has a little more reach into Missouri and Oklahoma due to its geographic location. The UA program is really good, and the campus and area is nice. But don't count on staying in the Fayetteville area after graduation.

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:16 am

hsprophet wrote:

If you are going to practice in Arkansas, I wouldn't think it would matter which school you went to. The bigger firms in the state are in Little Rock; northwest Arkansas firms are pretty small. UA has a little more reach into Missouri and Oklahoma due to its geographic location. The UA program is really good, and the campus and area is nice. But don't count on staying in the Fayetteville area after graduation.

Is there any serious consideration from Tulsa firms? I know UA is about 2 hours from Tulsa, but you have TU, OU, and I guess OCU looking at Tulsa firms.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:24 am

thechecker wrote:Is there any serious consideration from Tulsa firms? I know UA is about 2 hours from Tulsa, but you have TU, OU, and I guess OCU looking at Tulsa firms.

I saw a list of firms that did OCIs at UA. I remember a lot of Little Rock firms, but I don't remember where the others were. Contact the career office and I'm sure they can send you the info. They are also great to talk to since they know where their graduates go. I did ask them about the prospects of working in NWA, and they said it's tough, but doable. I think there were only a couple NWA firms on the list.

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks for info I was sent a list from Career Services. You are right a majority are in Little Rock, but there was a decent amount from MO and MS. Seems like the reach in MO went far a few in KC and St.L.

I didn't see any OK ones though, I figured at least one Tulsa firm would recruit, maybe even an OKC firm.

Thomas.of.Hunter

Postby Thomas.of.Hunter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Last edited by Thomas.of.Hunter on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Thomas.of.Hunter wrote:have you guys looked at apartments yet? suggestions?

They have an off campus housing website that has a lot of apartments. http://offcampushousing.uark.edu/

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:58 pm

When I went there for grad school, I got an apartment off the south end of campus where I could walk to class. I'm glad I did. Some of my classmates often had to park in a remote lot and ride a bus to campus. The have since built a large parking garage, so I don't know if parking is any better, but it is expensive to buy a garage permit (there might also be a waiting list).

Recent or current students may chime in on the parking situation, but I'm very glad I could walk to class.

I would first decide if living within walking distance is something you want to do.

Away from campus there are lots of apartments. The ones close to campus are older and not as nice as the ones available further away.

lookingforlaw

Postby lookingforlaw » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:45 pm

hsprophet wrote:

When I went there for grad school, I got an apartment off the south end of campus where I could walk to class. I'm glad I did. Some of my classmates often had to park in a remote lot and ride a bus to campus. The have since built a large parking garage, so I don't know if parking is any better, but it is expensive to buy a garage permit (there might also be a waiting list).

Recent or current students may chime in on the parking situation, but I'm very glad I could walk to class.

I would first decide if living within walking distance is something you want to do.

Away from campus there are lots of apartments. The ones close to campus are older and not as nice as the ones available further away.

Parking is the biggest complaint of most students here. A regular permit is around $60, but you would have to ride the bus from the lots that allow that pass. So plan on being on campus at least half an hour early for that. The Harmon Ave. deck is far from the law building, and it costs around $500 for a 9-month pass. There is no waiting list for that deck. The Stadium Ave. deck is very near the law building, but most faculty take the spots there. They are building a new deck near the law building and I anticipate the price to be similar to Harmon.

As for apartments, the best close to campus are the Crowne and Southern View. Buses run from campus to both complexes. They are nice, safe and affordable. I lived at Southern View as an undergrad for 2 years. It was great! Both are mostly college kids. If you can afford it, I would recommend looking at some of the lofts on Dickson Street. Living there, you can walk to campus and walk to bar reviews. :o) The best properties in town are managed by Lindsey: http://www.lindseymanagement.com/cgi-bi ... e&type=apt

Good luck!

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:31 am

I hope you are right, but what makes you believe that? Have you heard anything with substance?

deadlast

Postby deadlast » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 pm

I've looked around a little on craigslist to get an idea of cost. Pretty blown away by how cheap everything seems to be. It's a little hard to guage quality though.

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:48 pm

deadlast wrote:

I've looked around a little on craigslist to get an idea of cost. Pretty blown away by how cheap everything seems to be. It's a little hard to guage quality though.

Like lookingforlaw said Lindsey properties are probably the best bet and they have a lot of pictures on their website for the apartments. It will be hard to gauge because the pictures are obviously from the best apartments they have.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Will be attending coming from RI.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:04 am

I'm at Baton Rouge right now. I'm attending the LSU student day but I'm going to try to set something up to get a private tour of Arkansas in May if I haven't heard back from a few schools I'm waitlisted at. Arkansas through some money at me and its alot easier to get in state tuition there than at LSU. I have to admit though, Baton Rouge seems like a cool place and what I've seen of the campus thus far is impressive. We will see if the Razorbacks can match up with the Tigers in that area.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:10 am

In St. Louis area. I'm putting my money down next week. Very possibly will be attending.

Thomas.of.Hunter

Postby Thomas.of.Hunter » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:04 pm

hsprophet wrote:

Last edited by Thomas.of.Hunter on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Posted this on the facebook group, but thought I would post it here also.

I called the admissions office this morning and they gave me some useful information. Once April 16th comes and the deadline has passed all people who put seat deposits down will be in the law schools official student database. After graduation, in May, when things slow down our information is sent to the main university registrar and that is when we will get a student id, email etc... From that point we will be consider matriculating students and will be contacted by financial aid and have things like our section and schedule sent to us.

lookingforlaw

Postby lookingforlaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Saw this sign on campus today: http://www.offcampushousing.uark.edu

Good luck!

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Well, they moved up last year for one. Then a 2L there told me they would move up after winning National Moot court. I don't think that should make a school move up but it could. It's sort of BS anyways.

I think I would enjoy Fayetteville more but I don't know about working afterwards. I want to go to UA. More gov. jobs in LR but couldn't one make that up after 4-5 years out of school? I wish one of these schools simply didn't exist.

Someone wrote about going to school with an older student body and ualr being in a bad part of town.

Can I just +1 from here because I'm tired? Thanks

thechecker wrote:

I hope you are right, but what makes you believe that? Have you heard anything with substance?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”