IN AT PENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
1armedscissor

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby 1armedscissor » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:32 am

DCD wrote:congrats. can I ask which essay(s) you chose to write?

Why Penn, Art/Literature, and 5 Year Plan (was there three? lol)

Hella excited myself. I think the only other schools that could sway me would be HYS or UChicago and it's not lookin' too good on those fronts :P

Did anyone else get the call from Bayrex? Nice guy and an interesting name that's for sure!

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Lermontov wrote:
puppins wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:Woot. Admitted students website.

why didn't I get an email about this? :(

Maybe you only imagined the phone call... :wink:

That had, sadly, been a worry of mine until I got the actual letter. :oops:

LOL but I logged into the status checker, which is all congratulatory now. Sooo where is my email? what does it say, people who got one?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Puppins, want a roommate?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:27 pm

puppins wrote:LOL but I logged into the status checker, which is all congratulatory now. Sooo where is my email? what does it say, people who got one?

Abbreviated version:

Congrats! You'll get a packet! Go to the admitted students' website! Come to ASW! Bye!

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:23 pm

The massive fancy Faculty book they sent is quite impressive. Great strategy.

I've gone through the faculty one-by-one; their educational pedigree is insane. I swear 60% are Yale JD's.

The Kim Jong illest

Postby The Kim Jong illest » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:40 pm

puppins wrote:besides my freakish love for penn, the low COL is definitely a serious plus IMO. I will be paying living expenses completely out of loans, and hopefully that can be under or around 1k a month which would be impossible in NYC.

This was one of the 2-3 deciding factors in me choosing to ED at Penn rather than Columbia. When you're paying your own way, that extra ~$30k in your pocket is going to make you feel much more comfy after school.

The Kim Jong illest

Postby The Kim Jong illest » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:43 pm

BTW how lame is it to opt for a Penn-based avatar (sorry shadow)?

StarsOfTheLid

Postby StarsOfTheLid » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:52 pm

I've gone through the faculty one-by-one; their educational pedigree is insane. I swear 60% are Yale JD's.

...that's the way it is at almost every top school. It says more about Yale Law School than it does about Penn Law...

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:13 pm

StarsOfTheLid wrote:

...that's the way it is at almost every top school. It says more about Yale Law School than it does about Penn Law...

Ah, OK. I had wondered if this might be the case. I didn't know, though, because none of the other schools I've been admitted to has sent such detailed info on the faculty. It's probably the nicest little publication I've received so far this cycle!

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
StarsOfTheLid wrote:

Ah, OK. I had wondered if this might be the case. I didn't know, though, because none of the other schools I've been admitted to has sent such detailed info on the faculty. It's probably the nicest little publication I've received so far this cycle!

I thought that the undergrad list was more surprising than all the Yale and Harvard JDs. Yale and Harvard undergrad are almost as well represented as Yale and Harvard Law, which kindof astonished me.

StarsOfTheLid

Postby StarsOfTheLid » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:52 pm

Not to derail the thread, but most of those faculty members probably went to law school in the 70s/80s. Back then, Ivy definitely begot Ivy.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:55 pm

There are lottttttts of '90's and 00's JD's from HLS and YLS for sure. I was actually surprised by how many faculty appeared to be under 35 or so.

StarsOfTheLid

Postby StarsOfTheLid » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Hmm. OK. I don't know then haha

inuitsoar

Postby inuitsoar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Just wondering how long apps to penn usually take to go complete. i applied about three weeks ago and on the status checker it still says "application received and processing."

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:18 pm

inuitsoar wrote:Just wondering how long apps to penn usually take to go complete. i applied about three weeks ago and on the status checker it still says "application received and processing."

They usually take their time; don't worry yet.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:37 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:
puppins wrote:LOL but I logged into the status checker, which is all congratulatory now. Sooo where is my email? what does it say, people who got one?

Abbreviated version:

Congrats! You'll get a packet! Go to the admitted students' website! Come to ASW! Bye!

ah, thank you.

VoidSix wrote:Puppins, want a roommate?

why do you ask, V6?

radgrad

Postby radgrad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:14 pm

I'm newly in, part of the batch of people who got called earlier today.

Just curious- there seems to be a lot of Penn love on this thread, including a lot of people choosing it over similar ranked schools... why? My debate is probably Penn vs. NYU, and the choice doesn't seem obvious. COL seems similar (Brooklyn apartment - cost of car = cost of living in Philly, for those of us who are familiar with NYC and know how to do it cheap), and NYU has that great LRAP. Both have impressive faculty, clinics, etc. I know these things often come down to intangible factors, but I'm curious to hear why people are set on Penn over a school like NYU (or Columbia, etc).

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:16 pm

radgrad wrote:I'm newly in, part of the batch of people who got called earlier today.

Just curious- there seems to be a lot of Penn love on this thread, including a lot of people choosing it over similar ranked schools... why? My debate is probably Penn vs. NYU, and the choice doesn't seem obvious. COL seems similar (Brooklyn apartment - cost of car = cost of living in Philly, for those of us who are familiar with NYC and know how to do it cheap), and NYU has that great LRAP. Both have impressive faculty, clinics, etc. I know these things often come down to intangible factors, but I'm curious to hear why people are set on Penn over a school like NYU (or Columbia, etc).

You should go to NYU.

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
radgrad wrote:I'm newly in, part of the batch of people who got called earlier today.

You should go to NYU.

Lame. :P

Seriously though, a part of what I like about Penn (not that Penn will wind up trumping other places, but it's one reason Penn is way up there) is their faculty. I think their faculty booklet was a great move, and something that not all the comparable schools can quite match. Though I'm still waiting on some of those schools, and perhaps my opinion will change if they say they want me.

Of course NYU is big and has plenty of interesting professors, and MVB have great profs too. Penn just has more people that focus on things that I find interesting.

And yes, I realize I don't know anything yet and might dislike those topics when it comes to it, but I have to start somewhere.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:28 pm

I hate this thread and everyone in it.

Nah, not really. It's just that I just got my Penn app in and I really want to go there.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I hate this thread and everyone in it.

Nah, not really. It's just that I just got my Penn app in and I really want to go there.

That's hurtful.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:37 pm

i think a lot of people are also into the collegiality (or at least supposed collegiality) of penn vs NYU/CLS, which are both known for being a little more directly competitive. i can't speak for NYU/CLS, but my best friend just graduated from penn and the people there do generally seem great and chill and willing to help people out - generally less numbers-whorey/prestige-obsessed people at penn? however, i think that's certainly present at CLS and especially NYU (their PI focus draws a ton of that kind of people, i'm sure), but it's just not something they seem to push as hard as penn does.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread!

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:50 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
i think a lot of people are also into the collegiality (or at least supposed collegiality) of penn vs NYU/CLS, which are both known for being a little more directly competitive. i can't speak for NYU/CLS, but my best friend just graduated from penn and the people there do generally seem great and chill and willing to help people out - generally less numbers-whorey/prestige-obsessed people at penn? however, i think that's certainly present at CLS and especially NYU (their PI focus draws a ton of that kind of people, i'm sure), but it's just not something they seem to push as hard as penn does.

+1
Another of the many good reasons. Looking forward to ASW and maybe an on-my-own visit to see if this holds.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Some part of me secretly hopes to be shut out of HLS/CLS so I can guiltlessly justify going to/staying at Penn. My current game plan would be to live in the Radian, up the street, which isn't too horridly priced. I'd suggest that *no one* try and live in Sansom. Our graduate apartments are horrible. Take it from someone who's worked for Housing/Conference Services for 3 years (and got roomed there for part of a summer).

Okay to be fair, actually, they aren't so bad really, they're just horrible for the price. Very old. Very small.

If you have limitless sums of wealth I'd suggest living in Domus, which overlooks the law school on one side. Of course, I'd have to sell several children to live there myself, but I know people who do, and it's swank like woah. =P

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”