IN AT PENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby lz06 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:21 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:So anyone else planning on going to ASW? I'm gonna try but these things are so damn expensive. Plane ticket = $350.. Hotel = $120+/night.. Oh man. Total = $700 - $200 (Penn subsidy) = $500.


I got a hotel for 50$ a night in center city using priceline's name your price thing if your interested. Oh and my hotel was awesome. I think violaboy did the same thing and also got a good deal

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby Veyron » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Those with invites to apply for $, when did you get accepted?

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby violaboy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:29 pm

lz06 wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:So anyone else planning on going to ASW? I'm gonna try but these things are so damn expensive. Plane ticket = $350.. Hotel = $120+/night.. Oh man. Total = $700 - $200 (Penn subsidy) = $500.


I got a hotel for 50$ a night in center city using priceline's name your price thing if your interested. Oh and my hotel was awesome. I think violaboy did the same thing and also got a good deal


Yeah, I pricelined an flight/hotel combo and got it for quite a bit cheaper. The flight prices were about $450 when I looked, but got it for quite a bit lower with priceline.

UCBerzerkeley
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby UCBerzerkeley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:04 am

just saying hi. got admitted last thursday, plan to go to ASW

lawschoolapp1
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 am

I'm confused about how Penn's grading system works compared to other law schools, can someone here offer some clarifications for me? much appreciated

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby hopefullaw27 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:35 pm

any idea on when non-named scholarship aid will be released?

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:31 pm

lawschoolapp1 wrote:I'm confused about how Penn's grading system works compared to other law schools, can someone here offer some clarifications for me? much appreciated

I'm not sure what your question is exactly... Penn uses a curve in all 1L classes as well as large lectures during 2L and 3L. The curve is set at a 3.3 (B+) and legal writing is pass/fail. We don't calculate GPA or rank students. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:33 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:any idea on when non-named scholarship aid will be released?

It was released during spring break of my senior year of college meaning March 17-21.

User avatar
ilovelamp18
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby ilovelamp18 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Just got a wonderful call... I'm in! (So I figured it was time to join the thread)... Approx. 1 p.m. eastern.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:41 pm

ilovelamp18 wrote:Just got a wonderful call... I'm in! (So I figured it was time to join the thread)... Approx. 1 p.m. eastern.


Applied and Complete dates?

User avatar
CoutureChiq
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby CoutureChiq » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:46 pm

in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
ilovelamp18
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby ilovelamp18 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:57 pm

Applied mid-january but got an incomplete email feb 16th because I forgot to attach the essay. Email it to them and was complete the 18th.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:59 pm

haha we applied the same time, I wasn't missing anything but still didn't complete 'till the same time. F'ing penn, just accept me already!

User avatar
Dtackpat75
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby Dtackpat75 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:09 pm

CoutureChiq wrote:in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Congrats!!

User avatar
ilovelamp18
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby ilovelamp18 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:haha we applied the same time, I wasn't missing anything but still didn't complete 'till the same time. F'ing penn, just accept me already!


Not to be overly negative but I have to think your 121 LSAT might be the thing hanging up their decision on your app.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:15 pm

ilovelamp18 wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:haha we applied the same time, I wasn't missing anything but still didn't complete 'till the same time. F'ing penn, just accept me already!


Not to be overly negative but I have to think your 121 LSAT might be the thing hanging up their decision on your app.


:) I hope that was a joke, because it was kind of funny. I wonder who gets a 121? It has to be someone who gets up right at the beginning and leaves, then doesn't cancel for some reason.

User avatar
ilovelamp18
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby ilovelamp18 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:00 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
ilovelamp18 wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:haha we applied the same time, I wasn't missing anything but still didn't complete 'till the same time. F'ing penn, just accept me already!


Not to be overly negative but I have to think your 121 LSAT might be the thing hanging up their decision on your app.


:) I hope that was a joke, because it was kind of funny. I wonder who gets a 121? It has to be someone who gets up right at the beginning and leaves, then doesn't cancel for some reason.


I hope it was a joke to or I'm going to seriously have to start questioning myself.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Humor is sometimes hard to get in an anonymous internet forum....

lawschoolapp1
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Georgiana wrote:
lawschoolapp1 wrote:I'm confused about how Penn's grading system works compared to other law schools, can someone here offer some clarifications for me? much appreciated

I'm not sure what your question is exactly... Penn uses a curve in all 1L classes as well as large lectures during 2L and 3L. The curve is set at a 3.3 (B+) and legal writing is pass/fail. We don't calculate GPA or rank students. Let me know if you have more specific questions.


I guess I'm wondering about the lack of GPA calculation and student ranking. Does this make one's grades at Penn less important for employment prospects?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:28 pm

lawschoolapp1 wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
lawschoolapp1 wrote:I'm confused about how Penn's grading system works compared to other law schools, can someone here offer some clarifications for me? much appreciated

I'm not sure what your question is exactly... Penn uses a curve in all 1L classes as well as large lectures during 2L and 3L. The curve is set at a 3.3 (B+) and legal writing is pass/fail. We don't calculate GPA or rank students. Let me know if you have more specific questions.


I guess I'm wondering about the lack of GPA calculation and student ranking. Does this make one's grades at Penn less important for employment prospects?

Definitely not, law firms can still request to see your transcripts and calculate your GPA themselves. Similarly, law schools not giving a class rank doesn't do anything, since law firms can estimate using GPA cutoffs.

User avatar
MahaloMontana
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby MahaloMontana » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Did anyone hear back about the Toll Scholarship? The email said we'd know whether we got an interview by today, but I haven't received any word.

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby violaboy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:53 pm

Who all is going to ASW next weekend?

User avatar
summerschooled
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby summerschooled » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:24 pm

violaboy wrote:Who all is going to ASW next weekend?

I'll be there. Anyone else?

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:46 pm

summerschooled wrote:
violaboy wrote:Who all is going to ASW next weekend?

I'll be there. Anyone else?


I'll be there, too. But probably not until Friday.

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: IN AT PENN

Postby violaboy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Amelie wrote:
summerschooled wrote:
violaboy wrote:Who all is going to ASW next weekend?

I'll be there. Anyone else?


I'll be there, too. But probably not until Friday.


My flight gets in late Thursday night, so I won't be there until Friday morning either.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: YoungSimba and 10 guests