University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:52 pm

TarHeel2010 wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
TarHeel2010 wrote:Wrote Dean States yesterday to inform him of an address change and he wrote back to tell me a decision would be made on my application within the next few days to a week......so they're still chugging along over there, hand in there everyone!

When were you complete?



I went complete on Jan 27th.


Hmm I went complete 1/19... I fear my wait will be over soon. Well UNC, it's been a good run. Bring the ruckus!

TarHeel2010
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby TarHeel2010 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm

traehekat wrote:
TarHeel2010 wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
TarHeel2010 wrote:Wrote Dean States yesterday to inform him of an address change and he wrote back to tell me a decision would be made on my application within the next few days to a week......so they're still chugging along over there, hand in there everyone!

When were you complete?



I went complete on Jan 27th.


Hmm I went complete 1/19... I fear my wait will be over soon. Well UNC, it's been a good run. Bring the ruckus!


Yea, I think tomorrow or monday will be the big day with the last few admits...as someone mentioned before the deadline to rsvp to both ASD is next wednesday the 17th....if nothing by monday im thinking we're all WL or dings....best of luck to all!

User avatar
jlnoa0915
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jlnoa0915 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Yea, I think tomorrow or monday will be the big day with the last few admits...as someone mentioned before the deadline to rsvp to both ASD is next wednesday the 17th....if nothing by monday im thinking we're all WL or dings....best of luck to all!


Hoping you're wrong. LSN (if accurate) shows acceptances up to 3/30 last year, then everything after that is w/l or rejects.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:22 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:
Yea, I think tomorrow or monday will be the big day with the last few admits...as someone mentioned before the deadline to rsvp to both ASD is next wednesday the 17th....if nothing by monday im thinking we're all WL or dings....best of luck to all!


Hoping you're wrong. LSN (if accurate) shows acceptances up to 3/30 last year, then everything after that is w/l or rejects.


From what it sounds like from other people, there's another round yet to come. My guess it won't be tomorrow, and maybe not even next week. I'm not expecting till the end of this month. I never call and bother any admissions offices - but, I actually want to call UNC probably because they're the only ones that explicitly don't want to be bothered. I feel like a little kid; tell me not to do it and that makes me really want to...

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:38 pm

The only reason I'm not calling is because I know they will either say that I'm complete or a decision will be rendered soon. I do not expect any mind-blowing insight from them, so I just won't bother.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:41 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:The only reason I'm not calling is because I know they will either say that I'm complete or a decision will be rendered soon. I do not expect any mind-blowing insight from them, so I just won't bother.


They will tell you to get your ass back in the cave and wait for the shadows to appear on the wall.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm

msp wrote:Hi everyone, current UNC senior here who will be attending UNC Law in the fall. I've seen a lot of conversation about parking/cars, and thought I might be able to offer some insight on parking around campus:

- Don't try. If it isn't completely necessary for you to park, then don't. The coverage offered by buses is fantastic, and if you'll actually save time by riding the bus and hopping off near wherever you need to be instead of trying to find a legal parking spot. Plus, there's a pretty good bike culture in town, so there are bike lanes and paths that take you almost anywhere.
- UNC gave out close to $30,000 in parking tickets last year. They will not hesitate to put one on your windshield, and I've found it is more of a pain to go get it paid off than to just find some other means of getting to campus.
- There are multiple Park & Ride lots, but they aren't convenient unless you have a serious commute. I had a park & ride space for one year, and decided not to renew it--you spend a lot of time waiting on the bus to come. Lots of tenured faculty members I knew took the regular buses instead of P&R.
- There are actually a lot of parking spots that open up around the law school at 5 pm every day, and are free for use most weekends. This means that if you lived nearby, you could go home after your last class, then come back and park close to the school for any library work you needed to do.
- Be knowledgeable about events going on nearby. The law facilities at UNC are right in the middle of most of the athletic facilities on campus, including the venues for baseball, soccer, track & field, women's basketball, and football. Of those, only football can create a shortage of parking on its own, but earlier this semester baseball, women's basketball, and a high school state championship for track & field were all going on at the same time. There was no parking whatsoever.
- After spending a year or two going to UNC, you learn the secrets to parking--the spots that most people don't know about, what lots are empty when, places where you're less likely to get a ticket in the middle of the day than others.

If I can answer any questions (except for those secrets) please let me know.


Are you a Wake Forest recruiter? Regardless, you just gave Wake a boost in my books. Do you happen to know how long people have to wait at the commuter park and rides?

User avatar
jakeoooh
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jakeoooh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Nice Plato reference.

SweeneyTodd
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby SweeneyTodd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:45 pm

I would love to be a fly on the wall in their admissions office.

Up until they updated the website their admissions faqs indicated a rolling admissions policy. Now it says they review applications by strength. I don't know what the deal is with UNC and their method of admissions because even with their undergraduate programs they don't begin reviewing applications until January with many (not all) students not receiving a decision until April. I am not trying to be critical of their process (I expected to be waiting until mid April for a decision) I just really wonder what they are doing during the fall semester in admissions. That being said I guess one would hope that means they really are doing a holistic review of applications (not just saying it like some other schools), it just takes so long! :evil:

I do think they are going to try to release a larger number of admits within the next week or by the end of March but continue releasing decisions sporadically until May 1 (after all they did extend the application deadline and begin emailing fee waivers). But I don't think they want like 100 or so people attending ASD in March (based on a small number of admits to date) then like 300 people attending ASD in April.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Chancellors Scholars Weekend. I remember a few months ago it had a February date, something like the 21st or 22nd. Now it just says "February". Did anyone get invited or did the event not happen? If it didn't, to me that says they are still behind so there will be several more waves of admits.

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:07 pm

traehekat wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:The only reason I'm not calling is because I know they will either say that I'm complete or a decision will be rendered soon. I do not expect any mind-blowing insight from them, so I just won't bother.


They will tell you to get your ass back in the cave and wait for the shadows to appear on the wall.


Honestly, that might provide mind-blowing insight.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:14 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:The only reason I'm not calling is because I know they will either say that I'm complete or a decision will be rendered soon. I do not expect any mind-blowing insight from them, so I just won't bother.


They will tell you to get your ass back in the cave and wait for the shadows to appear on the wall.


Honestly, that might provide mind-blowing insight.


Creepin' on your LSN profile... advertising major involved in advertising competition senior year? NSAC by any chance?

adk6
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby adk6 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:59 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
msp wrote:Hi everyone, current UNC senior here who will be attending UNC Law in the fall. I've seen a lot of conversation about parking/cars, and thought I might be able to offer some insight on parking around campus:

- Don't try. If it isn't completely necessary for you to park, then don't. The coverage offered by buses is fantastic, and if you'll actually save time by riding the bus and hopping off near wherever you need to be instead of trying to find a legal parking spot. Plus, there's a pretty good bike culture in town, so there are bike lanes and paths that take you almost anywhere.
- UNC gave out close to $30,000 in parking tickets last year. They will not hesitate to put one on your windshield, and I've found it is more of a pain to go get it paid off than to just find some other means of getting to campus.
- There are multiple Park & Ride lots, but they aren't convenient unless you have a serious commute. I had a park & ride space for one year, and decided not to renew it--you spend a lot of time waiting on the bus to come. Lots of tenured faculty members I knew took the regular buses instead of P&R.
- There are actually a lot of parking spots that open up around the law school at 5 pm every day, and are free for use most weekends. This means that if you lived nearby, you could go home after your last class, then come back and park close to the school for any library work you needed to do.
- Be knowledgeable about events going on nearby. The law facilities at UNC are right in the middle of most of the athletic facilities on campus, including the venues for baseball, soccer, track & field, women's basketball, and football. Of those, only football can create a shortage of parking on its own, but earlier this semester baseball, women's basketball, and a high school state championship for track & field were all going on at the same time. There was no parking whatsoever.
- After spending a year or two going to UNC, you learn the secrets to parking--the spots that most people don't know about, what lots are empty when, places where you're less likely to get a ticket in the middle of the day than others.

If I can answer any questions (except for those secrets) please let me know.


Are you a Wake Forest recruiter? Regardless, you just gave Wake a boost in my books. Do you happen to know how long people have to wait at the commuter park and rides?


Another UNC undergrad here. Honestly, I don't think parking should deter you from UNC. The bus system here is really good and all buses are GPS enabled so you can track them online/with your smartphone (nextbus.com). You'll be able to tell when leaving your apartment exactly how many minutes the bus is from the park and ride lot.

Furthermore, there are plenty of housing options that are close enough to campus to walk. Most of the student body walks, bikes, or buses into campus. Chapel Hill's buses are really good, free, and (like I said) trackable. Hope that helps!

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Matteliszt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Anyone going to the admitted student's day in April?

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm

traehekat wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:The only reason I'm not calling is because I know they will either say that I'm complete or a decision will be rendered soon. I do not expect any mind-blowing insight from them, so I just won't bother.


They will tell you to get your ass back in the cave and wait for the shadows to appear on the wall.


Honestly, that might provide mind-blowing insight.


Creepin' on your LSN profile... advertising major involved in advertising competition senior year? NSAC by any chance?[/quote]

Guilty as charged. Did you do NSAC too?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:20 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:Guilty as charged. Did you do NSAC too?


No, but two of my best friends here in school are like vice presidents or something. It's like, literally all they do, they are super into it. I used to be really into art and graphic design in high school, so I considered doing the creative side of NSAC when I transferred here as a junior, but in the end I guess I just didn't feel like it. How do you like it?

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Has anyone who has been admitted to UNC in the past week or so received any scholarship information? Is an offer mailed to you separately ... or, if you weren't notified in your acceptance e-mail or letter, does that generally mean that you are SOL?

I plan to call them tomorrow morning to discuss, but I'm curious to know the general pattern that has unfolded this cycle.

SweeneyTodd
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby SweeneyTodd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:41 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Has anyone who has been admitted to UNC in the past week or so received any scholarship information? Is an offer mailed to you separately ... or, if you weren't notified in your acceptance e-mail or letter, does that generally mean that you are SOL?

I plan to call them tomorrow morning to discuss, but I'm curious to know the general pattern that has unfolded this cycle.


Admitted 3/5 and have not received any scholarship information.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:43 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Has anyone who has been admitted to UNC in the past week or so received any scholarship information? Is an offer mailed to you separately ... or, if you weren't notified in your acceptance e-mail or letter, does that generally mean that you are SOL?

I plan to call them tomorrow morning to discuss, but I'm curious to know the general pattern that has unfolded this cycle.


I was admitted 3/12, no scholarship information here.




........

I can haz axseptinse?

User avatar
mytwocents
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby mytwocents » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Anyone going to the admitted student's day in April?


I plan on it. I've been to UNC's campus many times, but have never visited the law school specifically. TBH, I wanted to visit before I sent in my seat deposit (at the ASD on the 19th), but work stuff interfered and so I'm just going to go in April.

User avatar
mytwocents
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby mytwocents » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:45 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Has anyone who has been admitted to UNC in the past week or so received any scholarship information? Is an offer mailed to you separately ... or, if you weren't notified in your acceptance e-mail or letter, does that generally mean that you are SOL?

I plan to call them tomorrow morning to discuss, but I'm curious to know the general pattern that has unfolded this cycle.


Admitted on 2/10 and no $$ info. I did a little snooping on LSN, and it seems like most scholarship recipients are URMs. A few others, but all of those were 164+.

SweeneyTodd
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby SweeneyTodd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Anyone going to the admitted student's day in April?


I RSVPd for April. I have to be in Raleigh that weekend anyway so it works out for me. Been to UNC many times but never visited the law school.

User avatar
eye
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby eye » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:07 pm

traehekat wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Has anyone who has been admitted to UNC in the past week or so received any scholarship information? Is an offer mailed to you separately ... or, if you weren't notified in your acceptance e-mail or letter, does that generally mean that you are SOL?

I plan to call them tomorrow morning to discuss, but I'm curious to know the general pattern that has unfolded this cycle.


I was admitted 3/12, no scholarship information here.




........

I can haz axseptinse?


Image

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Emma1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 am

How dificult is it to establish state residency for 2nd and 3rd years?

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:47 am

Emma1 wrote:How dificult is it to establish state residency for 2nd and 3rd years?


go ahead and expect to pay OOS tuition for those years. and yes, it really is that hard. and by that, i mean impossible

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Emma1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:57 am

I dont think it is impossible. I heard it is difficult for undergrad but not law school. Any other opinions out there? I'm sure many OOS decide to stay in NC to practice




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NorCalOldGuy, TedCruz4Prez and 13 guests