University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kbeth18

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby kbeth18 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:21 pm

idylls wrote:I'm still waiting to hear as well. I called the offices today and was told that my application is currently under review and I should receive a decision either end of the week or next week. I asked what method they'd use - she said "the dean will call you or you'll receive a letter." I'm assuming the call is for the "yes" and the letter is for the "no."

I only applied to UNC and Campbell and heard from Campbell yesterday with a "yes." I won't know about $$$ from them until next week.

Interesting news! I PMed you with a few questions if you don't mind!

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:37 pm

I believe early on some people received phone calls for acceptances but email has been the usual format. No one has been WLed or rejected by email yet. Clearly no one will call to say "thanks but no thanks". Thanks for posting the info idylls!!

I'm snail mail safe for one more day in NJ.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:45 pm

All my comms with UNC have been through email, WL last year, acceptance (thank god) this year.

BlueHeel

Postby BlueHeel » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 am

According to last years cycle, the very end of March was the last wave of acceptances. Seeing as I have received nothing in the mail yet and I applied in October, I am going to assume there must be some truth to the fact that they havent made a decision on all the files yet. I would get the mailing fairly quickly too, so I guess I am still holding out hope for another round of acceptances before the massive ding/WL month of May.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm about to drive over there. Want me to put in a good word? Heh

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi everyone, long time lurker finally decided to post now that my cycle is basically over. I received the acceptance email last Friday (went complete December 4th, in-state)) and I plan to attend UNC after receiving a waitlist from Duke.

I agree with the poster that said another wave of acceptances is due by the end of this month. I received the Admitted Students Day email and it says RSVP deadline is March 17th whether attending the March ASD or the April 16th date. I think they will probably try to send out as many acceptances as possible by the end of March so that people can attend an ASD.

I am looking forward to UNC but I was a little shocked that they are not validating parking for ASD! Does anyone else find that strange? All things considered I know the economy sucks and public universities aren't in the best shape financially but geez, I really think admitted students should be able to visit the school and not spend about 15-20 bucks for parking!! :roll:

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 pm

SweeneyTodd wrote:Hi everyone, long time lurker finally decided to post now that my cycle is basically over. I received the acceptance email last Friday (went complete December 4th, in-state)) and I plan to attend UNC after receiving a waitlist from Duke.

I agree with the poster that said another wave of acceptances is due by the end of this month. I received the Admitted Students Day email and it says RSVP deadline is March 17th whether attending the March ASD or the April 16th date. I think they will probably try to send out as many acceptances as possible by the end of March so that people can attend an ASD.

I am looking forward to UNC but I was a little shocked that they are not validating parking for ASD! Does anyone else find that strange? All things considered I know the economy sucks and public universities aren't in the best shape financially but geez, I really think admitted students should be able to visit the school and not spend about 15-20 bucks for parking!! :roll:

One of the biggest knocks I have heard on UNC is the parking.

EDIT: Mail came today, looks like I am safe for another day. This is a victory in and of itself.

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:25 pm

traehekat wrote:
SweeneyTodd wrote:Hi everyone, long time lurker finally decided to post now that my cycle is basically over. I received the acceptance email last Friday (went complete December 4th, in-state)) and I plan to attend UNC after receiving a waitlist from Duke.

One of the biggest knocks I have heard on UNC is the parking.

EDIT: Mail came today, looks like I am safe for another day. This is a victory in and of itself.

Availability of parking at UNC is definitely a headache. When I was in undergrad my boyfriend at the time attended UNC and we always walked everywhere because parking was such an issue. At his graduation it seemed like we had to park miles away and ride some shuttle then walk the equivalent of several blocks in serious summer heat to reach the stadium. Then we walked what felt like half a mile to his departmental graduation. I attended a full-day workshop at the UNC School of Government for my job last year and they validated our parking. We actually parked in the deck connected to it.

But anyway -- good luck to everyone still waiting!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:36 pm

I just got back from dropping something off at the law school. I had to park probably a half mile or so away and walk. I used to go to campus all the time, and I've never once been there that I've seen a parking space close to where I wanted to go.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:42 pm

I did undergraduate at UNC and I'll agree that parking on campus is completely ridiculous. LUCKILY - They have a really good bus system so you dont really have to walk if you plan it out right.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:47 pm

It's not even just the law school - parking is nasty for every single business and institution in Chapel Hill except for like McDonalds. This is why I'm very curious about the new law school and when it will be up, it seems like it might actually have parking.

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Considering how bad parking is, would it be reasonable to attend without a car?

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:02 pm

jss1100 wrote:Considering how bad parking is, would it be reasonable to attend without a car?

Definitely not. Bring a car. A lot of things will be largely inaccessible if you don't drive.

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Parking is terrible, but the bus system in Chapel Hill is free and there are a number of park and ride lots where you can park for free and then take a bus in to campus. Inconvenient, but free and not as bad as going sans car.

Here's the link to the transit system:
--LinkRemoved--

juliusgirlie

Postby juliusgirlie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:16 pm

jss1100 wrote:Considering how bad parking is, would it be reasonable to attend without a car?

I don't think a car is necessary. If it were, freshmen wouldn't be prohibited from bringing a car with them their first year of undergrad. You would need to live in Carrboro or Chapel Hill, though, if you wanted to be a car-less law student at UNC. Public transit offers multiple bus lines that are convenient to/from the law school and can take you all over the chapel hill area. My first two years at Carolina, I got around just fine with chapel hill transit and TTA (triangle transit authority). The only hitch is that the buses don't operate on Sundays, so it's best to choose an apartment near a shopping center (Poplar Place in Carrboro or Franklin Woods in Chapel Hill, just for an example). I guess it just depends on what you deem 'necessary' for an acceptable lifestyle. Chapel Hill and the Southpoint area (all accessible by bus) have plenty of shopping/dining/activities for me. But I'm also glad I can hop in my car and take a day trip down to wilmington every now and then, too.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:23 pm

It's important to remember that although you might be able to be carless to and from school, you will (hopefully) have to work and might need to drive to your job. I wouldn't totally ditch a car if I went to UNC.

TarheelHopeful

Postby TarheelHopeful » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 pm

I am an undergrad at UNC and I would highly recommend bringing a car. Yes, the bus system is great for getting around campus - however, you will not want to rely on this for grocery getting, shopping, etc... This is my personal opinion though. Depends on the person as well.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:It's important to remember that although you might be able to be carless to and from school, you will (hopefully) have to work and might need to drive to your job. I wouldn't totally ditch a car if I went to UNC.

You plan on working during law school?

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:49 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:It's important to remember that although you might be able to be carless to and from school, you will (hopefully) have to work and might need to drive to your job. I wouldn't totally ditch a car if I went to UNC.

Summer job, maybe? I could see someone working in Raleigh or Durham over the summer, and you would definitely need a car for that. I also think you'd need a car just in general. Yes, the bus system is good, but I wouldn't want to be stuck in Chapel Hill ALL the time (I love Raleigh!)...and I hate relying on buses and others for rides.

TarHeel2010

Postby TarHeel2010 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:05 am

Wrote Dean States yesterday to inform him of an address change and he wrote back to tell me a decision would be made on my application within the next few days to a week......so they're still chugging along over there, hand in there everyone!

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:06 am

TarHeel2010 wrote:Wrote Dean States yesterday to inform him of an address change and he wrote back to tell me a decision would be made on my application within the next few days to a week......so they're still chugging along over there, hand in there everyone!

I should write to change my address so maybe I could get a clue about my application. I wonder where I can reroute my mail...

Thanks for the info!

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:09 am

LSATfromNC wrote:

I was referring to summer jobs. But keep in mind that after the first year, there are clinics and some people do work with firms or organizations while in school. I have no idea of what to expect for myself, especially since I have yet to hear from UNC, but I definitely think it's a good idea to have a car available in case an opportunity arises that might require one.

msp

Postby msp » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi everyone, current UNC senior here who will be attending UNC Law in the fall. I've seen a lot of conversation about parking/cars, and thought I might be able to offer some insight on parking around campus:

- Don't try. If it isn't completely necessary for you to park, then don't. The coverage offered by buses is fantastic, and if you'll actually save time by riding the bus and hopping off near wherever you need to be instead of trying to find a legal parking spot. Plus, there's a pretty good bike culture in town, so there are bike lanes and paths that take you almost anywhere.
- UNC gave out close to $30,000 in parking tickets last year. They will not hesitate to put one on your windshield, and I've found it is more of a pain to go get it paid off than to just find some other means of getting to campus.
- There are multiple Park & Ride lots, but they aren't convenient unless you have a serious commute. I had a park & ride space for one year, and decided not to renew it--you spend a lot of time waiting on the bus to come. Lots of tenured faculty members I knew took the regular buses instead of P&R.
- There are actually a lot of parking spots that open up around the law school at 5 pm every day, and are free for use most weekends. This means that if you lived nearby, you could go home after your last class, then come back and park close to the school for any library work you needed to do.
- Be knowledgeable about events going on nearby. The law facilities at UNC are right in the middle of most of the athletic facilities on campus, including the venues for baseball, soccer, track & field, women's basketball, and football. Of those, only football can create a shortage of parking on its own, but earlier this semester baseball, women's basketball, and a high school state championship for track & field were all going on at the same time. There was no parking whatsoever.
- After spending a year or two going to UNC, you learn the secrets to parking--the spots that most people don't know about, what lots are empty when, places where you're less likely to get a ticket in the middle of the day than others.

If I can answer any questions (except for those secrets) please let me know.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

TarHeel2010 wrote:Wrote Dean States yesterday to inform him of an address change and he wrote back to tell me a decision would be made on my application within the next few days to a week......so they're still chugging along over there, hand in there everyone!

When were you complete?

TarHeel2010

Postby TarHeel2010 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:50 pm

missvik218 wrote:

When were you complete?

I went complete on Jan 27th.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”