University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bitlrc

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby bitlrc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:36 pm

lml09 wrote:
Anyways, I'm signing out. Good luck to all of you! I've enjoyed our little support group!

on the plus side, if wake is your fall back that's a pretty nice position to be in!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:37 pm

manceia wrote:After reading about the person who called and was told they were "in committee," I'm half-tempted to call myself. Another part of me says not to rock the boat, that they've told us they don't want us calling, and I should just hang in there...

Has anyone else called and been given an update on the progress of their application?

I am INCREDIBLY tempted to call but I know nothing good can come from it, so I am holding back.

BlueHeel

Postby BlueHeel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:38 pm

I really wish we knew the method they were using to send acceptances for the remainder of the cycle.

It's going to be pretty depressing if receiving a UNC envelope basically guarantees a WL/Rejection from here on out.

TarheelHopeful

Postby TarheelHopeful » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Yeah, I hope they didn't flag my file for calling - in a negative way. That would suck!! He didn't really seem to care that I called though. Unless he was laughing on the inside while putting an "X" next to my name.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:39 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...not LML! I was really pulling for you, buddy. I'm sad :(

Tarheelborn&bred

Postby Tarheelborn&bred » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:41 pm

lml09 when was your later dated? Someone reported earlier that they hoped to send out another wave of acceptances in early March. Maybe they sent out some earlier this week.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:42 pm

lml09 wrote:Well, just got the waitlist letter. Not sure about staying on...

161, 3.7, In state, applied mid October.

I'm so sorry. Want to consider staying on the WL? Don't give up on your dream (quite literally, you had a dream about this!)

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:50 pm

lml, I'm pretty sure I was following you on LSN (I'm not a stalker, I promise!) and that sucks so hard about your WL! I really think you should stay on the list. They SAY July, but really, you never know..

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:00 pm

mytwocents wrote:

lml, I'm pretty sure I was following you on LSN (I'm not a stalker, I promise!) and that sucks so hard about your WL! I really think you should stay on the list. They SAY July, but really, you never know..

Letter dated 3-2-10.

I'm now having second thoughts about NOT staying on the waitlist, or at least giving them until April. They hurt my feelings something awful but I suppose I shouldn't be rash.

Seriously considering emailing them and asking if there was something glaringly offensive on my application that I should address in a LOCI? I mean, they can't really threaten me with not contacting them now that I've been waitlisted :twisted: If there isn't and I just get some watered down answer about whatever, I'll probably just withdraw.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Looking through LSN. Everyone who's received WL's or rejections is in state. Which could just mean that they got their mail first. However, considering some people received their decisions last week, it doesn't seem like a big batch. Therefore, it seems like the school might be primarily assessing in-staters at the moment with oos to come.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 pm

MarkRenton wrote:Looking through LSN. Everyone who's received WL's or rejections is in state. Which could just mean that they got their mail first. However, considering some people received their decisions last week, it doesn't seem like a big batch. Therefore, it seems like the school might be primarily assessing in-staters at the moment with oos to come.

Yeah, my theory is they may be reaching the threshold on how many in-staters they are going to accept. Who really knows though, they could be just throwing darts at a bulletin board covered with applications.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:02 pm

traehekat wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:Looking through LSN. Everyone who's received WL's or rejections is in state. Which could just mean that they got their mail first. However, considering some people received their decisions last week, it doesn't seem like a big batch. Therefore, it seems like the school might be primarily assessing in-staters at the moment with oos to come.

Yeah, my theory is they may be reaching the threshold on how many in-staters they are going to accept. Who really knows though, they could be just throwing darts at a bulletin board covered with applications.

I kind of agree with your theory. I think UNC is such a great deal to residents that everyone applies and it becomes very difficult for residents to get in. On LSN it would appear that a lot of in-staters have been waitlisted in the past.

I'm still sorry to hear about lml. Your application sounds bullet proof. And in terms of considering asking admissions why you were waitlisted, I very nearly did that when I receives my decision from wake. Waitlists suck

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm

lml09 wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

Letter dated 3-2-10.

I'm now having second thoughts about NOT staying on the waitlist, or at least giving them until April. They hurt my feelings something awful but I suppose I shouldn't be rash.

Seriously considering emailing them and asking if there was something glaringly offensive on my application that I should address in a LOCI? I mean, they can't really threaten me with not contacting them now that I've been waitlisted :twisted: If there isn't and I just get some watered down answer about whatever, I'll probably just withdraw.

+1....unless you want another school over UNC, hang in there.

manceia

Postby manceia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:22 am

FWIW, I applied to the University of Washington (which is tied with UNC in this year's rankings) in the third week of December, the very same week I applied to Carolina. Unlike UNC, Washington has a status updater for their applicants. I was notified just yesterday that my application was finally being reviewed by human eyes. Before then, I was told it was waiting to be reviewed.

It's crazy to think, but it's possible that a lot of the folks on here worrying about being accepted (me included) haven't even had their full applications looked at by anyone. Maybe those of us still here made the first wave of cuts based solely on our LSATs or GPAs, and perhaps only now are they really taking a look at our essays, LoRs, etc.

A few weeks ago my office had an event and a bunch of UNC Law students volunteered for us. I asked 5 of them when they were notified, and not one of them was told of their acceptance before the third week of March. 3 of them heard in late April, after they had already made deposits at other schools. We've hosted interns over the years from Carolina that have told me the same thing. Almost everyone to a person describes this same sense of frustration, but they all also said that looking back, it was worth enduring.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:34 am

manceia wrote:FWIW, I applied to the University of Washington (which is tied with UNC in this year's rankings) in the third week of December, the very same week I applied to Carolina. Unlike UNC, Washington has a status updater for their applicants. I was notified just yesterday that my application was finally being reviewed by human eyes. Before then, I was told it was waiting to be reviewed.

It's crazy to think, but it's possible that a lot of the folks on here worrying about being accepted (me included) haven't even had their full applications looked at by anyone. Maybe those of us still here made the first wave of cuts based solely on our LSATs or GPAs, and perhaps only now are they really taking a look at our essays, LoRs, etc.

A few weeks ago my office had an event and a bunch of UNC Law students volunteered for us. I asked 5 of them when they were notified, and not one of them was told of their acceptance before the third week of March. 3 of them heard in late April, after they had already made deposits at other schools. We've hosted interns over the years from Carolina that have told me the same thing. Almost everyone to a person describes this same sense of frustration, but they all also said that looking back, it was worth enduring.

I hear you. Thing is, for anyone who has limited resources, it's a real tough deal to plunk down $500+ in initial deposits for one or two schools, only to have a third school notify you of an acceptance several weeks later -- and then be faced with eating not just one, but two deposits if you decide to go there. There aren't too many schools that I'd be willing to do that for. In fact, short of that school being T14 or Texas, or offering a fabulous scholarship, any such late offer might as well be a rejection, in terms of its utility for me.

manceia

Postby manceia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:51 am

Yeah, you gotta do what feels right. It's really all about your life circumstances. I'm likely gonna drop $500 myself here in a few weeks if I don't hear something, because I haven't made up my mind between my backup schools. It's tough to do, but like speeding tickets or other unanticipated expenses that get you nothing in return, I'm just trying to think of it as a hazard of living. It is what it is. Personally, as much as I hate shelling out deposit money, I think it would irk me more if I allowed it to influence my decision.

Sometimes I wonder if this whole process is nefariously designed to weed out people who are kind of take it or leave it with the school. They might feel that anyone who would eat a few deposits, go broke, or rearrange their life at the last minute to come must really want it and that those are the folks they're looking for.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 am

manceia wrote:Yeah, you gotta do what feels right. It's really all about your life circumstances. I'm likely gonna drop $500 myself here in a few weeks if I don't hear something, because I haven't made up my mind between my backup schools. It's tough to do, but like speeding tickets or other unanticipated expenses that get you nothing in return, I'm just trying to think of it as a hazard of living. It is what it is. Personally, as much as I hate shelling out deposit money, I think it would irk me more if I allowed it to influence my decision.

Sometimes I wonder if this whole process is nefariously designed to weed out people who are kind of take it or leave it with the school. They might feel that anyone who would eat a few deposits, go broke, or rearrange their life at the last minute to come must really want it and that those are the folks they're looking for.

I think you're exactly right here - it's part of their strategy to game the rankings. This way, they can accept fewer students and appear more selective (a key USNWR statistic).

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:33 am

manceia wrote:FWIW, I applied to the University of Washington (which is tied with UNC in this year's rankings) in the third week of December, the very same week I applied to Carolina. Unlike UNC, Washington has a status updater for their applicants. I was notified just yesterday that my application was finally being reviewed by human eyes. Before then, I was told it was waiting to be reviewed.

I hate to waste money, but in the scheme of things, an extra $500 or $1000 is not going to be the deciding factor. Given the expense of tuition & living and the opportunity cost of not working, this is a relatively small sum. I hope to be accepted at all (before April would be nice) and would hate to to throw money into a deposit that I don't use, but "it is what it is."
Last edited by dailykosak on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:40 am

gymboree wrote:
manceia wrote:Yeah, you gotta do what feels right. It's really all about your life circumstances. I'm likely gonna drop $500 myself here in a few weeks if I don't hear something, because I haven't made up my mind between my backup schools. It's tough to do, but like speeding tickets or other unanticipated expenses that get you nothing in return, I'm just trying to think of it as a hazard of living. It is what it is. Personally, as much as I hate shelling out deposit money, I think it would irk me more if I allowed it to influence my decision.

I think you're exactly right here - it's part of their strategy to game the rankings. This way, they can accept fewer students and appear more selective (a key USNWR statistic).

Geez, I really hope this isn't true. :evil:

makingasnack

Postby makingasnack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:47 am

Another rejection on LSN this morning...

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:30 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

I hear you. Thing is, for anyone who has limited resources, it's a real tough deal to plunk down $500+ in initial deposits for one or two schools, only to have a third school notify you of an acceptance several weeks later -- and then be faced with eating not just one, but two deposits if you decide to go there. There aren't too many schools that I'd be willing to do that for. In fact, short of that school being T14 or Texas, or offering a fabulous scholarship, any such late offer might as well be a rejection, in terms of its utility for me.

Agreed. I'm an AmeriCorps VISTA this year and I only make $10k/year so I simply can't afford to spend 1/10th or even 1/5th of my yearly income on law school seat deposits. I don't even have any savings because of the job. I'm already going to ask for some help making the deposits as it is.

I really want UNC but my first deposit is due at my back-up on April 1st. I'm not sure I could financially handle waiting for UNC to make a decision on my application. As sad as that makes me.

(Sorry. That sounded super whiney.)

juliusgirlie

Postby juliusgirlie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Totally in the same boat. My annual income is on par with yours and hundreds of dollars in wasted seat deposits would cause problems for me. I'd do anything to go to UNC, and I'll find a way to make ends meet, i just hope it won't come down to me pretty much having flushed a couple hundreds down the toilet.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:38 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Agreed. I'm an AmeriCorps VISTA this year and I only make $10k/year so I simply can't afford to spend 1/10th or even 1/5th of my yearly income on law school seat deposits. I don't even have any savings because of the job. I'm already going to ask for some help making the deposits as it is.

I really want UNC but my first deposit is due at my back-up on April 1st. I'm not sure I could financially handle waiting for UNC to make a decision on my application. As sad as that makes me.

(Sorry. That sounded super whiney.)

Wow, you have a right to whine there! Anyway, you're a government employee and a volunteer doing a noble thing. Perhaps if you got into UNC after your first seat deposit you could discuss options with admissions in terms of how to secure a spot in light of the extreme financial circumstances you are under. UNC seems to love volunteers as well, so I think they might be understanding. I honestly have no idea if this works but there has to be an option for people in your type of situation. It can't hurt to discuss your options with UNC when the time comes :)

lml09

Postby lml09 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Hello all! I just can't stay away from y'all!

I called UNC to ask what was up with my wl. The guy I talked to wasn't rude or mean, just kind of indifferent. Anyways, I asked if there was anything wrong with my app that concerned them so I could explain it in a letter and was told that my app was very impressive but they just only have "a few" spots left but that there was still a very reasonable chance I would get accepted off the wl.

Soo, because I'm super nosy, I asked why I got a wl while tons of people with similiar numbers have not gotten a wl letter yet and was told that was only because I had applied the first day apps became available so they just got to mine first.

No idea what they meant by having only a few spots left. I'll probably stay on the wl just because I don't want to think back and wish i had, although I did just buy a wake forest hoodie!!!

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:07 pm

lml09 wrote:Hello all! I just can't stay away from y'all!

I called UNC to ask what was up with my wl. The guy I talked to wasn't rude or mean, just kind of indifferent. Anyways, I asked if there was anything wrong with my app that concerned them so I could explain it in a letter and was told that my app was very impressive but they just only have "a few" spots left but that there was still a very reasonable chance I would get accepted off the wl.

Soo, because I'm super nosy, I asked why I got a wl while tons of people with similiar numbers have not gotten a wl letter yet and was told that was only because I had applied the first day apps became available so they just got to mine first.

No idea what they meant by having only a few spots left. I'll probably stay on the wl just because I don't want to think back and wish i had, although I did just buy a wake forest hoodie!!!

I am too young to need blood pressure medications....I think.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”