University of North Carolina 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tarheel87

Bronze

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Post by tarheel87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm

I really really don't believe they are doing it alphabetically. Nothing except one poster's second hand info points to this. They might be slow but they aren't stupid, they know what they're doing.

But please for the love of God let me know soon, I need some time to think about my final decision.

dailykosak

New

Post by dailykosak » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:05 pm

juliusgirlie wrote:Of course it's unfair!!! I don't like it either. It sucks all sorts of appendages. This whole process has become completely torturous. I'm totally feeling the sisyphus avatar at this point.
trade you!

I use this image, along with a quote from camus, as my work mascot...

edited: removed snarky comment about my workplace.
Last edited by dailykosak on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:13 pm

tarheel87 wrote:I really really don't believe they are doing it alphabetically. Nothing except one poster's second hand info points to this. They might be slow but they aren't stupid, they know what they're doing.

But please for the love of God let me know soon, I need some time to think about my final decision.
+1.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 pm

For the record, I submitted early January and I have no decision. My last name starts with (A).

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 pm

man, i thought the alphabetical thing provided us with some rationale for the madness. we're back to random sniping.

i found it hard to believe, but since our beloved UNC seems to make/send decisions at random, anything seemed possible.

also, it would appear that i'm snail mail safe for another day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lost in Eden

New

Post by Lost in Eden » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:46 pm

traehekat wrote:For the record, I submitted early January and I have no decision. My last name starts with (A).

Same here. Applied early/mid December, no word. Last name starts with A.

snake-eater

New

Post by snake-eater » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Big fan of NC...great place to live.

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:06 am

errr, not to perpetuate the alphabet theory (it seems to be unpopular!) but I got in about three weeks ago and my last name starts with a "B"... :(

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:09 am

snake-eater wrote:Big fan of NC...great place to live.
Where else can you find sweet tea, vinegar based BBQ, mountains, and beaches all in the same state? I love it here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailykosak

New

Post by dailykosak » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:36 am

mytwocents wrote:errr, not to perpetuate the alphabet theory (it seems to be unpopular!) but I got in about three weeks ago and my last name starts with a "B"... :(
I doubt we will ever know if it is true but I suspect it isn't....or would like to think it isn't. I would also like to be accepted today, but that's also out of my hands now. dammit.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 am

If they're really doing this alphabetically I'm going to puke and then immediately withdraw, that is the dumbest least fair thing I've ever heard.

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:08 am

dailykosak wrote:
mytwocents wrote:errr, not to perpetuate the alphabet theory (it seems to be unpopular!) but I got in about three weeks ago and my last name starts with a "B"... :(
I doubt we will ever know if it is true but I suspect it isn't....or would like to think it isn't. I would also like to be accepted today, but that's also out of my hands now. dammit.
I don't think it's true either. It's not incredibly logical (like someone said, they could theoretically fill up the class before M) and it's not fair to those who applied earlier, although I know not all schools take that into account. TBH, I just think they're slow...for whatever reason, be it "holistic" or otherwise.

juliusgirlie

New

Post by juliusgirlie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:16 am

In no way is it fair, and that's why I took that little nugget with a grain of salt. What bothers me even more, though, is that the admissions office would give out inaccurate info to an applicant who called in. Either way the whole situation blows. Maybe this friday around 5pm we will all get emails congratulating us on what ballers we all are.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:17 am

dailykosak wrote:
I too would like to be accepted today! :D

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:08 am

juliusgirlie wrote:In no way is it fair, and that's why I took that little nugget with a grain of salt. What bothers me even more, though, is that the admissions office would give out inaccurate info to an applicant who called in. Either way the whole situation blows. Maybe this friday around 5pm we will all get emails congratulating us on what ballers we all are.
Pretty sure the e-mail would go something like this:

CONGRATULATIONS! You are a serious baller. You are awesome, have impressive credentials, and you are everything we look for in an applicant.

However, we are still in the process of reviewing your application. We will have a decision to you by May 1st. Please do not call the admissions office with questions.

LOVE,
UNC

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:51 pm

I heard that if you call the admissions office with questions they stick a Z in front of your last name.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 pm

my first seat deposit (at my back-up school) is due april 1st. with my luck UNC will let me in on april 2nd. i will cry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:10 pm

webbylu87 wrote:my first seat deposit (at my back-up school) is due april 1st. with my luck UNC will let me in on april 2nd. i will cry.
A UNC admission - regardless of timing - would never make me cry :roll:

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:19 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:my first seat deposit (at my back-up school) is due april 1st. with my luck UNC will let me in on april 2nd. i will cry.
you must not have my financial circumstances.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:48 pm

lawhawk wrote:I heard that if you call the admissions office with questions they stick a Z in front of your last name.
Hahahahaha

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:50 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
you must not have my financial circumstances.
I apologize. I have financial considerations too and if that prevents you from going to UNC, that would be awful.

Additionally, since that early Feb admit batch, LSN is reporting 1 accept, 1 WL, and 1 reject. Nice to have one of each to really prevent you from knowing what to think. I'm snail mail safe for another day...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dailykosak

New

Post by dailykosak » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm going to be geek for a minute or two. Also this may be something the rest of you already know about....and it has nothing to do with going to UNC....

Despite the fact that I am applying to law school, I haven't typically been an avid reader of legal history and, with a few exceptions, don't follow the SCOTUS nearly as closely as I do congress or the white house. That said, I was reading the NYT reporting on the SCOTUS' consideration of states' rights & the second amendment this week and my interest was piqued. I know the second amendment is sacrosanct and all, but couldn't fathom why this case has otherwise sane looking people camping out in DC right now. IT IS COLD OUT.

Reviewing one of my favorite blogs this morning I came across a fantastic article that walks through a brief history of SCOTUS decisions on the the 14th amendment. It provides an excellent (and accessible) historical overview of how the court's restrictive interpretation of the privileges clause (dating back to the 1870s slaughterhouse cases) has placed the burden of protecting substantive liberty primarily on the due process clause, giving birth to the historically tenuous doctrine of "substantive due process."

This may sound dry, but it has had direct impacts on a number of SCOTUS decisions that impact all of us pretty regularly (from the right to use birth control to the right teach a foreign language in schools). Further, although this doctrine is fairly ingrained at this point, it derives from an interpretation of the 14th amendment that was at direct odds with the framers' intent, and is the subject of of considerable debate in the legal community. This is evidently sacred ground for some constitutional scholars and lawyers. The article goes on to discuss how the current second amendment case is an attempt to force the court to choose which 14th amendment provision should be used to secure the constitutionally protected right to bear arms: the due process clause or the (historically anemic) privileges clause.

At any rate, I think it is an interesting and accessible overview of the history that makes the current SCOTUS case important and thought I'd share.

/geek

--LinkRemoved--

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:25 pm

dailykosak wrote:[strike]I'm going to be geek for a minute or two. Also this may be something the rest of you already know about....and[/strike] it has nothing to do with going to UNC....

D[strike]espite the fact that I am applying to law school, I haven't typically been an avid reader of legal history and, with a few exceptions, don't follow the SCOTUS nearly as closely as I do congress or the white house. That said, I was reading the NYT reporting on the SCOTUS' consideration of states' rights & the second amendment this week and my interest was piqued. I know the second amendment is sacrosanct and all, but couldn't fathom why this case has otherwise sane looking people camping out in DC right now. IT IS COLD OUT.

Reviewing one of my favorite blogs this morning I came across a fantastic article that walks through a brief history of SCOTUS decisions on the the 14th amendment. It provides an excellent (and accessible) historical overview of how the court's restrictive interpretation of the privileges clause (dating back to the 1870s slaughterhouse cases) has placed the burden of protecting substantive liberty primarily on the due process clause, giving birth to the historically tenuous doctrine of "substantive due process."

This may sound dry, but it has had direct impacts on a number of SCOTUS decisions that impact all of us pretty regularly (from the right to use birth control to the right teach a foreign language in schools). Further, although this doctrine is fairly ingrained at this point, it derives from an interpretation of the 14th amendment that was at direct odds with the framers' intent, and is the subject of of considerable debate in the legal community. This is evidently sacred ground for some constitutional scholars and lawyers. The article goes on to discuss how the current second amendment case is an attempt to force the court to choose which 14th amendment provision should be used to secure the constitutionally protected right to bear arms: the due process clause or the (historically anemic) privileges clause.

At any rate, I think it is an interesting and accessible overview of the history that makes the current SCOTUS case important and thought I'd share.

/geek

--LinkRemoved--[/strike]

:P

TarheelHopeful

New

Post by TarheelHopeful » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Do you guys think it is worth sending in an updated resume to UNC? I got a research assistant job at the school of gov't next door (had it since January). I called to ask them directly, but I got the voicemail of some guy (probably the main desk clerk if there is one). Thoughts?

cao0008

New

Post by cao0008 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Did anyone else get an e-mail offering a fee waiver and an extension to apply even though you already applied?? I got so excited when I saw an e-mail from UNC. :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”