University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TarheelHopeful

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby TarheelHopeful » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Dear UNC,

I cannot take this any longer. Of course I want an acceptance, but at this point, just let me know what you are planning to do!!! I've got to start planning my life! For the love of God, send me an email tonight!!!

Sincerely,
TarheelHopeful

JuiceMan

Postby JuiceMan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:00 pm

Has anyone had the balls to call admissions lately?

makingasnack

Postby makingasnack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:04 pm

bakiewakies wrote:I got a waitlist letter in the mail today. It's so stupid. I've been accepted to better schools, I'm undergrad at UNC and I wrote my personal statement with UNC in mind. I hope everyone else has better luck. Maybe this is some higher power trying to tell me to expand my horizons.

When was it postmarked?

I'm shocked that they would reject an in-state (assuming you have resident classification?) with your numbers! Maybe it's YP?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:31 pm

This is like going fishing when the wind is calm, and the water is calm, and not a damn thing is biting.

Every now and then a fish jumps, but it's way on the other side of the lake, and you're not about to get up and go all the way over there.

Watch my line, I'm getting a beer.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Every time my email notification comes up for my lsac email my heart jumps hoping its the acceptance letter from UNC.

JuiceMan

Postby JuiceMan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:09 pm

another week or two of nervous anxiety! AWESOME!

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:38 pm

I have to say UNC sucks at recruiting potential students. Alabama offers to fly and house you, and W&L offers 300 and hotel; UNC tells me there is a parking deck near by that only cost $1.25 an hour, and that if I park in a Law School visitors spot I will most likely get a ticket. Why do I like you so much, why :lol:

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:43 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:I have to say UNC sucks at recruiting potential students. Alabama offers to fly and house you, and W&L offers 300 and hotel; UNC tells me there is a parking deck near by that only cost $1.25 an hour, and that if I park in a Law School visitors spot I will most likely get a ticket. Why do I like you so much, why :lol:

As an added bonus, parking in Chapel Hill sucks. A lot.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:44 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:I have to say UNC sucks at recruiting potential students. Alabama offers to fly and house you, and W&L offers 300 and hotel; UNC tells me there is a parking deck near by that only cost $1.25 an hour, and that if I park in a Law School visitors spot I will most likely get a ticket. Why do I like you so much, why :lol:

+1 to that. But you forgot how it's all delivered with attitude.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:47 pm

gymboree wrote:

+1 to that. But you forgot how it's all delivered with attitude.

But it won't be delivered until anywhere between now and May :D :D :D

bakiewakies

Postby bakiewakies » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 am

makingasnack wrote:
bakiewakies wrote:I got a waitlist letter in the mail today. It's so stupid. I've been accepted to better schools, I'm undergrad at UNC and I wrote my personal statement with UNC in mind. I hope everyone else has better luck. Maybe this is some higher power trying to tell me to expand my horizons.

When was it postmarked?

I'm shocked that they would reject an in-state (assuming you have resident classification?) with your numbers! Maybe it's YP?

It was dated February 23rd; so it took 3 days even though I live in Chapel Hill. People have always said that UNC is biased against UNC undergrads. I don't know how true that is, however, I thought it was very clear through everything I wrote that UNC was my top choice. doubt it's yield protection...UNC is just all over the place. With UNC, I think it just comes down to whether they like you or not. And they apparently didn't like me. Oh and also, one of my recommendations was written by a professor at UNC Law. So that makes even less sense.

Sorry this post is so long. I'm heartbroken and ranting.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:20 am

bakiewakies wrote:
makingasnack wrote:

When was it postmarked?

It was dated February 23rd; so it took 3 days even though I live in Chapel Hill. People have always said that UNC is biased against UNC undergrads. I don't know how true that is, however, I thought it was very clear through everything I wrote that UNC was my top choice. doubt it's yield protection...UNC is just all over the place. With UNC, I think it just comes down to whether they like you or not. And they apparently didn't like me. Oh and also, one of my recommendations was written by a professor at UNC Law. So that makes even less sense.

No need to apologize, that's just insane. :(

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:34 am

bakiewakies wrote:
makingasnack wrote:

When was it postmarked?

Sucks. I know what it's like to get the Heisman from a school you really care about. But judging from your profile, you have some really good options, and sometimes things work out for a reason. Keep your head up and good luck.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:36 am

I'm convinced UNC uses a dartboard. Or they don't even bother with that level of organization and they let the sorted apps pile up in arbitrary order, and right before the ASD they grab handfuls and those are the admits.

Your theories?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:57 am

gymboree wrote:I'm convinced UNC uses a dartboard. Or they don't even bother with that level of organization and they let the sorted apps pile up in arbitrary order, and right before the ASD they grab handfuls and those are the admits.

Your theories?

An inside source tells me this is how decisions are made. The guy on the left was admitted. The guy on the right was waitlisted. :P

--ImageRemoved--

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:46 am

Right. I went to the wake forest asd and was shocked by their friendliness and warmth. It was nice to talk to people in financial aid without being made to feel like I was pestering them. If I could only put unc's price tag on wake forest...

As far as theories, I'm leaning toward the grabbing a bunch of random apps and waitlisting/admitting them. I mean, at least with other schools you know where you stand. UNC is impossible to predict.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 am

lml09 wrote:

Right. I went to the wake forest asd and was shocked by their friendliness and warmth. It was nice to talk to people in financial aid without being made to feel like I was pestering them. If I could only put unc's price tag on wake forest...

As far as theories, I'm leaning toward the grabbing a bunch of random apps and waitlisting/admitting them. I mean, at least with other schools you know where you stand. UNC is impossible to predict.

The odd thing is Wake is cheaper than UNC for me, and I am still slightly leaning towards UNC. All in all I think they are peer schools, possibly with Wake actually having the better program, but UNC coming out slightly ahead only due to sheer numbers of Alumni.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:34 am

bakiewakies wrote:
makingasnack wrote:

When was it postmarked?

Last edited by TarHeel11 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

destroyer

Postby destroyer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:21 pm

waitlisted today

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:48 pm

destroyer wrote:waitlisted today

sorry about that dude.

how did they contact you?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Sorry to hear, would you care to share stats and if you in state or out?

destroyer

Postby destroyer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:13 pm

traehekat wrote:

Sure, I'm in state. Latino with a 3.44 gpa and and a 153 lsat. Received the waitlist letter in the mail today.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:16 pm

destroyer wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Sure, I'm in state. Latino with a 3.44 gpa and and a 153 lsat. Received the waitlist letter in the mail today.

Sorry to hear the news, man. Best of luck with the rest of your cycle.

Remind me, y'all, does UNC notify you by e-mail and then snail mail if you're accepted, or is it all by snail mail?

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:20 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
destroyer wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Remind me, y'all, does UNC notify you by e-mail and then snail mail if you're accepted, or is it all by snail mail?

We're not sure. The website says snail mail for all correspondence but this year acceptances have gone out by email and phone calls while waitlists have been mailed. No rejections yet to know about those.

destroyer

Postby destroyer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:22 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
destroyer wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Thank man, Ill probably be going to university of miami if unc doesn't work out

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”