University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jbrowning82

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 am

Awesome. I'll be the guy scamming on undergrads who don't know any better.

thestoryends

Postby thestoryends » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 am

jbrowning82 wrote:Awesome. I'll be the guy scamming on undergrads who don't know any better.

speaking of scamming on undergrads... does the law school participate in any intermural sports and orgs. with undergrad or otherwise?

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:48 am

Just asked my buddy whos there now and he said yeah LS students can get in on intramurals.

IMs are a big deal at UNC too. Getting an IM champion t-shirt is a rite of passage.

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 am

thestoryends wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:Awesome. I'll be the guy scamming on undergrads who don't know any better.

speaking of scamming on undergrads... does the law school participate in any intermural sports and orgs. with undergrad or otherwise?

When not in class, Carolina Law students can be found working on law review journals, practicing for moot courts, volunteering with community projects, playing intramural sports or simply enjoying the beautiful campus and Chapel Hill area. Our students also have opportunities to travel, study and conduct pro bono work around the state (and the world!) over term breaks. Your three years in Chapel Hill will help you become the lawyer you hope to be - and provide you with a multitude of memories and relationships upon which to build your career.

thestoryends

Postby thestoryends » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:55 am

dailykosak wrote:
thestoryends wrote:

When not in class, Carolina Law students can be found working on law review journals, practicing for moot courts, volunteering with community projects, playing intramural sports or simply enjoying the beautiful campus and Chapel Hill area. Our students also have opportunities to travel, study and conduct pro bono work around the state (and the world!) over term breaks. Your three years in Chapel Hill will help you become the lawyer you hope to be - and provide you with a multitude of memories and relationships upon which to build your career.

props to whoever penned that masterpiece. it's.... inspirational.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 pm

I just got off the phone with my grandparents (unc alums) and they are SO confused as to why unc hasn't accepted me yet. I feel bad for them, but mostly I feel bad for me and the rest of us in purgatory. This entire process is 20x worse with friends and family continually asking if I've heard from them yet.

I'm still betting on one more mass acceptance sometime late next week.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:12 pm

lml09 wrote:I'm still betting on one more mass acceptance sometime late next week.

God, I hope so. I also hope it includes some out-of-staters as well.

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 pm

traehekat wrote:
lml09 wrote:I'm still betting on one more mass acceptance sometime late next week.

I am still hoping for a batch tomorrow....but I think that every weekday.

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Question for all you OOS people. IS UNC worth sticker to you since they don't give out much scholarship money?

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:18 pm

pantherfan wrote:Question for all you OOS people. IS UNC worth sticker to you since they don't give out much scholarship money?

I suspect it depends on what your other options are. What's the competition in terms of where you think you'll be admitted?

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Well, I am from PA and suspect that I want to end up in PA, but I'm not deadset on it. However, I have been admitted to UNC, and really like the program, i.e. its public interest focus. I just don't know if its justifiable compared to a Pitt or Penn State at reduced price.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:23 pm

If you're trying to work in NC than UNC is the best choice even if you have to pay full OOS tuition. If youre trying to live otherwise than it depends on a number of factors.

Also getting residency after your first year isn't too hard IIRC correctly

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 pm

I have heard that getting IS tuition for years 2 and 3 is hard, and a lot of people are denied. Was this just hear-say?

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:26 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:If you're trying to work in NC than UNC is the best choice even if you have to pay full OOS tuition. If youre trying to live otherwise than it depends on a number of factors.

Also getting residency after your first year isn't too hard IIRC correctly

I think residency is almost impossible to get as an enrolled student. at least it used to be. I took a year off before undergrad to establish residency here, despite having 4 siblings in the state and my folks retiring here. It may have changed though... that was in the Pleistocene (Clinton) era

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:27 pm

pantherfan wrote:I have heard that getting IS tuition for years 2 and 3 is hard, and a lot of people are denied. Was this just hear-say?

I also remember hearing this.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:29 pm

pantherfan wrote:I have heard that getting IS tuition for years 2 and 3 is hard, and a lot of people are denied. Was this just hear-say?

I've heard this too from some UNC law students. I heard about one person who was successful. Apparently the student moved there in the beginning of the summer, got a job, switched over driver license's and tags, voted in NC... The 0L might have also purchased a house instead of renting which could make a difference. Regardless, the student did everything possible to resemble a NC resident. This was also considered the exception case.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:29 pm

I was told this by admissions official. To begin with, only those who have been in NC for three years or more qualify automatically. For everyone else it's a more subjective process. You have to prove your Carolinian-ness to a group of actual human beings who will decide whether you're just there for school or in it for the long haul. It's not just a checklist of requirements like most states.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30 pm

traehekat wrote:

I also remember hearing this.

I've also heard this. My tour guide said that despite going to school in NC and being on a 5 year plan, she was only just getting in-state tuition as a 2L.

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:33 pm

j.wellington wrote:

I was told this by admissions official. To begin with, only those who have been in NC for three years or more qualify automatically. For everyone else it's a more subjective process. You have to prove your Carolinian-ness to a group of actual human beings who will decide whether you're just there for school or in it for the long haul. It's not just a checklist of requirements like most states.

this is correct. I had to appear before the residency panel and answer questions for around half an hour.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:40 pm

dailykosak wrote:
traehekat wrote:

An acceptance tomorrow would be the best birthday present EVER!! It's been 8 days since the last batch so it's not entirely unlikely.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Hm, my bad. I just remembered that when I was going into my fourth year some of my NC resident friends told me that if I lived there over the summer between junior and senior year I could try and get IS tuition for my last year. Sorry about that.

curtfen

Postby curtfen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:59 pm

this is correct. I had to appear before the residency panel and answer questions for around half an hour.

what kind of questions did they ask you that weren't already covered in the documentation you submitted?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:02 pm

lml09 wrote:An acceptance tomorrow would be the best birthday present EVER!! It's been 8 days since the last batch so it's not entirely unlikely.

Happy early birthday!

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:03 pm

lml09 wrote:
dailykosak wrote:
traehekat wrote:

An acceptance tomorrow would be the best birthday present EVER!! It's been 8 days since the last batch so it's not entirely unlikely.

I'd wear that UNC snuggie around all day to increase your luck.

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:05 pm

curtfen wrote:this is correct. I had to appear before the residency panel and answer questions for around half an hour.

what kind of questions did they ask you that weren't already covered in the documentation you submitted?

honestly, I don't remember specifics. It has been 14 years. The general idea is pretty simple though: in state tuition is heavily subsidized by NC taxpayers and UNC has a cap on the number of OS students it can take. The institution has an obligation to the legislature and to NC taxpayers to try to make sure that the people paying the subsidized rate are NC residents already or, if they are seeking residency, that they are likely to remain in the state. So, the board is essentially trying to glean how likely it is that you will stay in NC after school. If you are just going to eat and run, they aren't interested in picking up the tab.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”