University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
webbylu87

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby webbylu87 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 pm

traehekat wrote:Okay okay, how about just in-staters and... TLSers. :lol:

How about just the TLSers? We're obviously the most deserving group. Obviously.

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Hoping we hear something today or tomorrow. Thinking we are going to have to wait another week.

brittainyb

Postby brittainyb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:32 pm

bakiewakies wrote:
thestoryends wrote:
bakiewakies wrote:I'm thinking it's about time for UNC to show some in-staters some love...

THIS!!!
please?

Do you think it would help if I threw myself on the steps of the law school and started begging and crying?

i'll join you :)

this wait is dreadful...

MandyNC

Postby MandyNC » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:35 pm

jss1100 wrote:Hoping we hear something today or tomorrow. Thinking we are going to have to wait another week.

Buuuuuu to waiting. But ...

UNC news as Valentines Day present?

Whatever flowers or chocolates I get from the hubs will pale in comparison ... and, a happy, non-obsessive MandyNC who doesn't jump every time the (1) pops up in Gmail could be the best present for HIM ever ...

This is assuming I get good news ... if it's bad news, not even Valentine's Day, the movie would cheer me up ... It could be a bad weekend ...

Crap. Back to doubting and obsessing.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:37 pm

webbylu87 wrote:

No way. TLS in-staters, ftw!

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:48 pm

mytwocents wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

No way. TLS in-staters, ftw!

No offense to out-of-staters, but I have to agree :)

Center2450

Postby Center2450 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Does anyone know anything about the plans for the new law school building?

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Center2450 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the plans for the new law school building?

It's going to be a part of Carolina North (http://cn.unc.edu/) but it's going to be a while. If the economy hadn't gone bad, there might have been a chance of the class of 2013 seeing it, but now there's no hope. I'm not complaining though since it's going to be 2 miles north of the real UNC campus.

gogo

Postby gogo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:39 pm

do you all think it is too late to apply to UNC...OOS, LSAT just above the 75%, GPA near median. since it is february, at this point am i just paying to be rejected or should i go for it?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:41 pm

gogo wrote:do you all think it is too late to apply to UNC...OOS, LSAT just above the 75%, GPA near median. since it is february, at this point am i just paying to be rejected or should i go for it?

In state or out of state? If in state, go for it. If out of state... eh. Could be throwing money away at this point.

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:44 pm

traehekat wrote:
gogo wrote:do you all think it is too late to apply to UNC...OOS, LSAT just above the 75%, GPA near median. since it is february, at this point am i just paying to be rejected or should i go for it?

In state or out of state? If in state, go for it. If out of state... eh. Could be throwing money away at this point.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Ugh, RC fail. I'm still stumbling into consciousness as of this moment.

Well then, please refer to the latter portion of my previous post, gogo. :?

eye

Postby eye » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:43 pm

Just came back from a 'Mecklenburg County Bar Young Lawyers Division' volunteer gig from Charlotte and wanted to share my thoughts. I volunteered with no real expectations or agenda, just wanted some exposure to the law and talk to some attorneys. Turned out into a great event because 90% of volunteers were recent UNC Law grads (about 15 attorneys with great and approachable personalities). Talking to them about the school just reaffirmed my decision to attend UNC! Every one of them enjoyed their experience at UNC and most keep in contact with their classmates.

I talked to a 2009 graduate (below median) who was employed in immigration law. She did tell me that a lot of her classmates still don't have jobs, but it's still only 6 months after graduation. Also, everyone at her firm leaves at 6 pm and have weekends off (small 15-20 lawyer office)! So those kind of jobs do exist! The 2007 grads all noted that the legal field completely changed in the past 2 years.

I asked for their opinion on USN rankings of law schools. They all agreed that the rankings definitely don't reflect UNC's reputation in NC or outside of it. Basically what I got from their answers was not to make a decision of which law school to attend solely on school rankings. They agreed that it is a subjective decision and strong consideration should be placed on what you plan to do afterwards (big law vs other options).

And to conclude, every single one of them enjoyed what they did. I could tell by their response that they were being genuine. Most litigators said that it is stressful at times, but very fulfilling and dynamic.

Anyways, hoping you guys hear some good news this month!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:04 pm

eye wrote:Just came back from a 'Mecklenburg County Bar Young Lawyers Division' volunteer gig from Charlotte and wanted to share my thoughts. I volunteered with no real expectations or agenda, just wanted some exposure to the law and talk to some attorneys. Turned out into a great event because 90% of volunteers were recent UNC Law grads (about 15 attorneys with great and approachable personalities). Talking to them about the school just reaffirmed my decision to attend UNC! Every one of them enjoyed their experience at UNC and most keep in contact with their classmates.

I talked to a 2009 graduate (below median) who was employed in immigration law. She did tell me that a lot of her classmates still don't have jobs, but it's still only 6 months after graduation. Also, everyone at her firm leaves at 6 pm and have weekends off (small 15-20 lawyer office)! So those kind of jobs do exist! The 2007 grads all noted that the legal field completely changed in the past 2 years.

I asked for their opinion on USN rankings of law schools. They all agreed that the rankings definitely don't reflect UNC's reputation in NC or outside of it. Basically what I got from their answers was not to make a decision of which law school to attend solely on school rankings. They agreed that it is a subjective decision and strong consideration should be placed on what you plan to do afterwards (big law vs other options).

Thanks for sharing.
And to conclude, every single one of them enjoyed what they did. I could tell by their response that they were being genuine. Most litigators said that it is stressful at times, but very fulfilling and dynamic.

Anyways, hoping you guys hear some good news this month!

Thanks for sharing!

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Has anyone else noticed that UNC has been doing acceptances on Mondays and Fridays? Or am I completely wrong. I did some creeping on LSN and I thought I noticed a Monday or Friday trend.

Really wishing for some good news this week. Apparently my Grandpa thought I had already gotten in and sent me a UNC snuggie in the mail. I sure would love to wear it... :wink:

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:44 pm

lml09 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that UNC has been doing acceptances on Mondays and Fridays? Or am I completely wrong. I did some creeping on LSN and I thought I noticed a Monday or Friday trend.

Really wishing for some good news this week. Apparently my Grandpa thought I had already gotten in and sent me a UNC snuggie in the mail. I sure would love to wear it... :wink:

I don't know if 8 decision dates can really support a trend. From having read the entire UNC 2012 thread (yes, I am completely obsessed), UNC seems to be pretty random about decisions. They weren't even universal on the method used to inform applicants. I too would like to get some good news, but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up. You should go ahead and wear your UNC snuggie though because UNC rocks no matter what! 2009 National Champs, baby (we're going to pretend this season isn't happening though)! :D

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:56 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:
lml09 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that UNC has been doing acceptances on Mondays and Fridays? Or am I completely wrong. I did some creeping on LSN and I thought I noticed a Monday or Friday trend.

I don't know if 8 decision dates can really support a trend. From having read the entire UNC 2012 thread (yes, I am completely obsessed), UNC seems to be pretty random about decisions. They weren't even universal on the method used to inform applicants. I too would like to get some good news, but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up. You should go ahead and wear your UNC snuggie though because UNC rocks no matter what! 2009 National Champs, baby (we're going to pretend this season isn't happening though)! :D

Yeah I figured I was grasping at straws, but it was like "UNC has sent out some acceptances on Mondays...tomorrow is Monday...maybe I'll get accepted tomorrow!!"

But my birthday is quickly approaching and I know what would make an awesome present....

thestoryends

Postby thestoryends » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 pm

this is pretty adorable. my grandparents are unc alum and call everyday to see if i've heard.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:45 pm

thestoryends wrote:

this is pretty adorable. my grandparents are unc alum and call everyday to see if i've heard.

Yeah, my grandparents both went to UNC undergrad and graduate and my Grandpa taught at UNC for almost 20 years. I'm pretty sure my cycle is more stressful on them than it is on me.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:35 pm

lml09 wrote:
thestoryends wrote:

Yeah, my grandparents both went to UNC undergrad and graduate and my Grandpa taught at UNC for almost 20 years. I'm pretty sure my cycle is more stressful on them than it is on me.

Man, I hope you get in. Nice anecdote.

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Every time that I see another post in this thread, my heart jumps and I run in here because I think someone got a decision. Pathetic, I know. C'mon UNC, show us some love!

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:04 am

unc vs. uf?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:07 am

LadyTarHeelian wrote:Every time that I see another post in this thread, my heart jumps and I run in here because I think someone got a decision. Pathetic, I know. C'mon UNC, show us some love!

+1,000

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:32 am

So have they not sent out any answers yet?

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:36 am

I'm guessing we will have a major wave of decisions on either this Friday or Next Monday.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”