University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm out of state. Maybe this is cause the form email says something about being considered as OOS for tuition purposes.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 pm

Congrats everyone! Aside from statuscheckers, do the rest of you mind sharing your numbers? That is seriously random that it would come so late, but cool nonetheless. I usually shut down my hopes of hearing anything by 5:00, so I guess this just means I will be anxious for the ENTIRE day rather than just half.

nolefan
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby nolefan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 pm

traehekat wrote:Congrats everyone! Aside from statuscheckers, do the rest of you mind sharing your numbers? That is seriously random that it would come so late, but cool nonetheless. I usually shut down my hopes of hearing anything by 5:00, so I guess this just means I will be anxious for the ENTIRE day rather than just half.


Yah, I'll be checking till midnight from now on for all of my other schools.

In w/ 3.4 163

mps200
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:16 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby mps200 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:59 pm

When did you all go complete.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:42 am

nolefan wrote:
traehekat wrote:Congrats everyone! Aside from statuscheckers, do the rest of you mind sharing your numbers? That is seriously random that it would come so late, but cool nonetheless. I usually shut down my hopes of hearing anything by 5:00, so I guess this just means I will be anxious for the ENTIRE day rather than just half.


Yah, I'll be checking till midnight from now on for all of my other schools.

In w/ 3.4 163


Awesome! I have similar stats and I am also OOS so hopefully this is a good sign. Did you have any extraordinary soft factors? URM? Is UNC a top choice for you?

User avatar
jss1100
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jss1100 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:40 am

Seems like they are doing really small waves of admits so far. Different from the other schools ive applied to. Still no email here. In state 164/3.71

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby MarkRenton » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:49 am

A wave of admits? /killself?

User avatar
kdw94780
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby kdw94780 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Sent right before Christmas, and In today. I thought UNC was supposed to take awhile to admit. What's up with that?

bakiewakies
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:32 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby bakiewakies » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:24 pm

kdw94780 wrote:Sent right before Christmas, and In today. I thought UNC was supposed to take awhile to admit. What's up with that?


Are you in state or out of state? And stats, if you don't mind?

computersareafad
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby computersareafad » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:09 pm

traehekat wrote:Congrats everyone! Aside from statuscheckers, do the rest of you mind sharing your numbers? That is seriously random that it would come so late, but cool nonetheless. I usually shut down my hopes of hearing anything by 5:00, so I guess this just means I will be anxious for the ENTIRE day rather than just half.



158/3.8 OOS
Non-URM

User avatar
kdw94780
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby kdw94780 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:10 pm

Out of state, 158 urm, 3.84, lots of softs,

nolefan
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby nolefan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:23 am

traehekat wrote:
nolefan wrote:
traehekat wrote:Congrats everyone! Aside from statuscheckers, do the rest of you mind sharing your numbers? That is seriously random that it would come so late, but cool nonetheless. I usually shut down my hopes of hearing anything by 5:00, so I guess this just means I will be anxious for the ENTIRE day rather than just half.


Yah, I'll be checking till midnight from now on for all of my other schools.

In w/ 3.4 163


Awesome! I have similar stats and I am also OOS so hopefully this is a good sign. Did you have any extraordinary soft factors? URM? Is UNC a top choice for you?


UNC is a top choice. Not a URM but have decent softs

ExcitedBlutterance
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:11 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby ExcitedBlutterance » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Anyone hear about $$ yet?

User avatar
eye
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby eye » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:27 pm

ExcitedBlutterance wrote:Anyone hear about $$ yet?


According to the admitted students packet, scholarship notifications will begin in March.

Center2450
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Center2450 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:41 pm

In via email on 1/28
161
3.36 (strong upward trend)
Out of state
Strong softs/recs

I have two questions:

1. What are the prospects for jobs outside of NC? I am not from NC and while I may want to look for work there, I am also very interested in getting to DC after graduation. Thoughts?

2. How connected to the University is the law school? It seems that it is somewhat geographically removed, but I am wondering if anyone knows if the law school/law students inject themselves in the university at large?

thanks

TarHeel2010
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby TarHeel2010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:01 pm

center... are you URM?

Congrats btw!

1) They say more than 50% of grads stay in NC, but that is also due to the large in state grads...many want to stay here. Prospects are decent in the south...Atlanta, Tampa, and other cities in NC (Charlotte). I def know ppl who went to DC from UNC...not super difficult but not as easy as getting the big jobs in state, since the alumni network is huge here.

2) The law school is definitely integrated into the university as a whole. When the new building is finished it will be a bit off the main campus, but that won't be for awhile....as of now the law building is right in the heart of it all. You get free tickets to sporting events (school spirit is obviously huge), Franklin street is always crazy with people from all areas of unc (undergrad, law, medicine, etc.) Chapel Hill is really just an ideal place to live....

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:57 pm

Center2450 wrote:In via email on 1/28
161
3.36 (strong upward trend)
Out of state
Strong softs/recs

I have two questions:

1. What are the prospects for jobs outside of NC? I am not from NC and while I may want to look for work there, I am also very interested in getting to DC after graduation. Thoughts?

2. How connected to the University is the law school? It seems that it is somewhat geographically removed, but I am wondering if anyone knows if the law school/law students inject themselves in the university at large?

thanks


Congrats! Hopefully they are big fans of those strong upward grade trends.

User avatar
Lost in Eden
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Lost in Eden » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm

Center2450 wrote:In via email on 1/28
161
3.36 (strong upward trend)
Out of state
Strong softs/recs

I have two questions:

1. What are the prospects for jobs outside of NC? I am not from NC and while I may want to look for work there, I am also very interested in getting to DC after graduation. Thoughts?

2. How connected to the University is the law school? It seems that it is somewhat geographically removed, but I am wondering if anyone knows if the law school/law students inject themselves in the university at large?

thanks



For those who have been accepted, when did you apply? thanks!

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby lawhawk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:53 pm

Lost in Eden wrote:
Center2450 wrote:In via email on 1/28
161
3.36 (strong upward trend)
Out of state
Strong softs/recs

I have two questions:

1. What are the prospects for jobs outside of NC? I am not from NC and while I may want to look for work there, I am also very interested in getting to DC after graduation. Thoughts?

2. How connected to the University is the law school? It seems that it is somewhat geographically removed, but I am wondering if anyone knows if the law school/law students inject themselves in the university at large?

thanks


For those who have been accepted, when did you apply? thanks!


161 3.4 you will not get into a better school. Dont worry about job prospects if you want to live in the SE

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby missvik218 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:58 am

lawhawk wrote:
Lost in Eden wrote:
Center2450 wrote:In via email on 1/28
161
3.36 (strong upward trend)
Out of state
Strong softs/recs

I have two questions:

1. What are the prospects for jobs outside of NC? I am not from NC and while I may want to look for work there, I am also very interested in getting to DC after graduation. Thoughts?

2. How connected to the University is the law school? It seems that it is somewhat geographically removed, but I am wondering if anyone knows if the law school/law students inject themselves in the university at large?

thanks


For those who have been accepted, when did you apply? thanks!


161 3.4 you will not get into a better school. Dont worry about job prospects if you want to live in the SE

:shock: I am shocked by this acceptance, sincerely no offense meant Center! What do you mean by strong softs?! lawhawk is right though, take this chance and run with it.

UNC is very strong in NC and generally is ranked by judges and lawyers much higher than its USNWR ranking - I'm sure with a little extra effort you could take it to DC after graduation if you were so inclined. Congratulations!

BlueHeel
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby BlueHeel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:02 pm

The medians are 162/3.6 for 2009. Why are you so shocked??

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby missvik218 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 pm

BlueHeel wrote:The medians are 162/3.6 for 2009. Why are you so shocked??

I guess I always assumed that even though they say OOS and IS students are fairly similar in profile that it was much more difficult to get in OOS. I wouldn't have expected someone below both medians to get in OOS is all, and certainly not in one of the first batches of acceptances.

bakiewakies
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:32 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby bakiewakies » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 pm

missvik218 wrote:
BlueHeel wrote:The medians are 162/3.6 for 2009. Why are you so shocked??

I guess I always assumed that even though they say OOS and IS students are fairly similar in profile that it was much more difficult to get in OOS. I wouldn't have expected someone below both medians to get in OOS is all, and certainly not in one of the first batches of acceptances.


Jumping in here, when I spoke to the Dean of Admissions at UNC's law school fair (I go here for undergrad), he said they actually let in the same number if not MORE out of state students, and it's not harder to get in-- it's just that most people that actually choose to go to UNC are in-staters, because of tuition and such. No one can be that shocked by ANYONE being let in to UNC Law-- they take tons and tons of time to look over everyone's apps (obviously) and really hand-select people not entirely based on their numbers.

I just hope I hear back from them soon :(

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby missvik218 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:18 pm

bakiewakies wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
BlueHeel wrote:The medians are 162/3.6 for 2009. Why are you so shocked??

I guess I always assumed that even though they say OOS and IS students are fairly similar in profile that it was much more difficult to get in OOS. I wouldn't have expected someone below both medians to get in OOS is all, and certainly not in one of the first batches of acceptances.


Jumping in here, when I spoke to the Dean of Admissions at UNC's law school fair (I go here for undergrad), he said they actually let in the same number if not MORE out of state students, and it's not harder to get in-- it's just that most people that actually choose to go to UNC are in-staters, because of tuition and such. No one can be that shocked by ANYONE being let in to UNC Law-- they take tons and tons of time to look over everyone's apps (obviously) and really hand-select people not entirely based on their numbers.

I just hope I hear back from them soon :(

Yeah, he said the same thing to me at a law fair back in October .. haha I just didn't believe him, most schools are so numbers based. Like I said before I really meant no insult, I was just hoping to get a better insight which was why I asked about softs in particular. I would seriously consider UNC even at OOS cost, I want to live/work in NC after graduation, all of my family lives there, I hope I was able to make that clear in my application. I am anxious to hear soon also, good luck bakiewakies.

User avatar
ZeroEll
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby ZeroEll » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 pm

I have similar stats as Center, and was admitted on 1/4. I too have strong softs (14+ years work experience, 1st generation college student), so I do believe that they read the entire application. Congrats to the other admits, and good luck to those still waiting!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], crimsonknight, Exabot [Bot], fancyfluter22, JosefK, jtawil, notsolawful and 23 guests