University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
laughingberries

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby laughingberries » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:25 pm

someone should start a facebook page for UNC 2013 :)

eye

Postby eye » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:53 pm

*raised hand*

ps..nice tar zeroell, that was a charming movie

ZeroEll

Postby ZeroEll » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:52 pm

eye wrote:*raised hand*

ps..nice tar zeroell, that was a charming movie

aparker

Postby aparker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 pm

Amelie is fantastic, and probably the best movie of the 2000s

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:10 pm

So, anyone want to bite the bullet and ask UNC when the next wave is?

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:13 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:So, anyone want to bite the bullet and ask UNC when the next wave is?

Do you think we'd even get a straight answer? I thought they frowned upon applicants calling with any questions... :roll:

dkirby87

Postby dkirby87 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:21 pm

I called on Friday.
And I quote "Well we can't tell you for sure but you will receive a decision between now and May."
Not joking, that's what they said.
Damn.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 am

dkirby87 wrote:I called on Friday.
And I quote "Well we can't tell you for sure but you will receive a decision between now and May."
Not joking, that's what they said.
Damn.

lmao, after I posted that last comment I was actually thinking that their real response would be something along those lines. And don't get me wrong, I'm really pumped about UNC's law school, but seriously...you need to reconsider how you're presenting yourself as a law school when your applicants are EXPECTING really vague answers and rudeness from the admissions office (not so much this cycle, but I know last year's was hellacious for UNC).

Straight up telling people to NOT call with questions, all while providing no status checker and very few updates...that's just cold.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:25 am

Honestly, I'm not expecting anyone to hear back from UNC again until sometime between the first and second week of February. It is what it is. I don't mind the long wait really. It makes me believe that they're really reading our applications. Well, I believe that because of all the extra writing required. And considering the long wait times, I'm hoping they're really going over the documents and considering the holistic diversity of the class. Am I insane?

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:56 am

MarkRenton wrote:Honestly, I'm not expecting anyone to hear back from UNC again until sometime between the first and second week of February. It is what it is. I don't mind the long wait really. It makes me believe that they're really reading our applications. Well, I believe that because of all the extra writing required. And considering the long wait times, I'm hoping they're really going over the documents and considering the holistic diversity of the class. Am I insane?

I tend to agree. Based on LSN, it doesn't seem like a school where you can easily predict how you'll do there. I've seen 4.0/167 get rejected OOS, but 163/3.7 get in OOS. People with perfectly median numbers in state get rejected, but some also get in. When I spoke with the admissions personnel they really emphasized looking beyond the numbers, and while everyone says that, they really do seem to take a holistic approach.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:12 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:Honestly, I'm not expecting anyone to hear back from UNC again until sometime between the first and second week of February. It is what it is. I don't mind the long wait really. It makes me believe that they're really reading our applications. Well, I believe that because of all the extra writing required. And considering the long wait times, I'm hoping they're really going over the documents and considering the holistic diversity of the class. Am I insane?

I tend to agree. Based on LSN, it doesn't seem like a school where you can easily predict how you'll do there. I've seen 4.0/167 get rejected OOS, but 163/3.7 get in OOS. People with perfectly median numbers in state get rejected, but some also get in. When I spoke with the admissions personnel they really emphasized looking beyond the numbers, and while everyone says that, they really do seem to take a holistic approach.

Or extreme YP. An OOS 167/4.0 will get a much better offer than paying OOS tuition at UNC (many, if not most, of the schollies on LSN show them going to at or below median URM's).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:21 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:

Or extreme YP.

I sure hope so.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:55 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:

Or extreme YP. An OOS 167/4.0 will get a much better offer than paying OOS tuition at UNC (many, if not most, of the schollies on LSN show them going to at or below median URM's).

Yeah that's a fair point but they do accept people with some stellar numbers who probably wouldn't go there. I assumed the person who got rejected completely messed up their application or couldn't write at all.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:

Yeah that's a fair point but they do accept people with some stellar numbers who probably wouldn't go there. I assumed the person who got rejected completely messed up their application or couldn't write at all.

Considering all the writing they make you do, gives you a lot of chances to be sloppy and screw up.

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:58 pm

In the final days/weeks before we should have substantial movement. Come on UNC!

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 am

Just wanted to drop in and say: Best University in the world!!! (at least in terms of Basketball)

MandyNC

Postby MandyNC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm

A week and a half or so ago, I received notification that my file at UNC was incomplete. When I realized I was an idiot and had not sent my residency form in via snail mail, I immediately sent it in. I also wrote a brief e-mail to the admissions address apologizing for the oversight, saying I had sent the form but also noting that I was classified currently in-state at UNC (for a continuing ed class) and shared my PID. I got the complete e-mail on Tuesday (it was fast) and then this e-mail today from Ms. Kott's e-mail address:

Dear MandyNC:

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill.

Your application is officially complete. If you have additional inquires do let me know and feel free to directly contact me.

Yours truly,
/Jennifer R. Kott
Director of Admissions

Is it normal for the dean to write directly back about procedural questions like this? I also noted in my e-mail about the incomplete that I was curious how long it would take to go complete and was eager to know since UNC was my top choice for school. Was that douchey? Is there any positive sign from this e-mail or is it pretty generic?

Thank you much.

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:47 pm

MandyNC wrote:
Dear MandyNC:

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill.

Your application is officially complete. If you have additional inquires do let me know and feel free to directly contact me.

Yours truly,
/Jennifer R. Kott
Director of Admissions

Is it normal for the dean to write directly back about procedural questions like this? I also noted in my e-mail about the incomplete that I was curious how long it would take to go complete and was eager to know since UNC was my top choice for school. Was that douchey? Is there any positive sign from this e-mail or is it pretty generic?

Thank you much.

This is standard. It informs you that your file is complete. Nothing more.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 pm

In via email at 8:40 pm. Wtf? lol I am stoked, but that was super random. I am assuming there are others. Where are you all at?

computersareafad

Postby computersareafad » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 pm

Out of state, IN tonight via e-mail

eye

Postby eye » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:38 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:In via email at 8:40 pm. Wtf? lol I am stoked, but that was super random. I am assuming there are others. Where are you all at?

WOOHOO!!! Congrats! :)

nolefan

Postby nolefan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:44 pm

Me too! 8:40PM email. Non resident. Pretty cool!

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Seems like everyone admitted thus far is OOS--any NC residents in yet?

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 pm

DNAgent wrote:Seems like everyone admitted thus far is OOS--any NC residents in yet?

There have been several (see previous pages) -- I recently asked the same question.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:53 pm

gymboree wrote:
DNAgent wrote:Seems like everyone admitted thus far is OOS--any NC residents in yet?

There have been several (see previous pages) -- I recently asked the same question.

I think he was referring to tonight. Where is my email :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”