University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Matteliszt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:36 pm


It's true. There are MANY in-state people who choose not to go to UNC because private schools and higher-ranked public schools are a good deal cheaper because UNC doesn't dole out too many in-state scholarships. Heck, I'll probably end up at WFU or W&M because both are a LOT cheaper for me than UNC even with NC residency. The lack of a scholarship and the condescending attitudes that you get when you try to communicate with the admissions folks both turned me off completely. Even though I got in relatively quickly, it went from a top 2 school for me to not even in the top 6 or so. I can only imagine the frustration that the people who have waited for months on end must be feeling. Simply put, UNC needs to get its act together.


I am a California resident. Funny enough, UC Davis has been trreating me exactly the same way UNC treats NC resides. I am STILL waiting for a decision even though I have better offers from equal schools. Its just weird.


But good luck KT and jerz. I would really love to have you guys as classmates next year :)

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Matteliszt wrote:

It's true. There are MANY in-state people who choose not to go to UNC because private schools and higher-ranked public schools are a good deal cheaper because UNC doesn't dole out too many in-state scholarships. Heck, I'll probably end up at WFU or W&M because both are a LOT cheaper for me than UNC even with NC residency. The lack of a scholarship and the condescending attitudes that you get when you try to communicate with the admissions folks both turned me off completely. Even though I got in relatively quickly, it went from a top 2 school for me to not even in the top 6 or so. I can only imagine the frustration that the people who have waited for months on end must be feeling. Simply put, UNC needs to get its act together.


I am a California resident. Funny enough, UC Davis has been trreating me exactly the same way UNC treats NC resides. I am STILL waiting for a decision even though I have better offers from equal schools. Its just weird.


But good luck KT and jerz. I would really love to have you guys as classmates next year :)


Thanks! It would be an honor :)

User avatar
elysiansmiles
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby elysiansmiles » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:12 pm

viro8 wrote:Yep, still waiting. I'm convinced that they either already rejected me and my letter is in the mail or they just completely forgot about me.


+1

User avatar
KtSully
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby KtSully » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:16 pm

Thank you guys for the nice words! Since UNC has been driving me nuts, I've used my angry energy to make a long pro/con list about whether to attend the University of Arizona starting this fall or to wait a year and try for a higher LSAT score. (Right now, the "Wait a Year" list is winning.)

It sure has been nice having this discussion board to express my frustrations! Ha ha :)

Wheretogo2013
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Wheretogo2013 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:57 pm

minkins wrote:I just got an email from Alabama saying they reviewed my file (oops, forgot I applied there!) and would get back to me by the end of May... sad that it takes ALABAMA to make UNC look good.

I now officially feel like I'm the last person waiting on a response! Really hoping my $70 and hours working on the extra essays weren't for nothing!


Roll Tide Roll!

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Matteliszt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Thank you guys for the nice words! Since UNC has been driving me nuts, I've used my angry energy to make a long pro/con list about whether to attend the University of Arizona starting this fall or to wait a year and try for a higher LSAT score. (Right now, the "Wait a Year" list is winning.)

It sure has been nice having this discussion board to express my frustrations! Ha ha :)





Is U of A giving you $$? If not I wouldn't waste your GPA. How much do you want to go to UNC? Would you take it if they offered?

User avatar
KtSully
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby KtSully » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
Thank you guys for the nice words! Since UNC has been driving me nuts, I've used my angry energy to make a long pro/con list about whether to attend the University of Arizona starting this fall or to wait a year and try for a higher LSAT score. (Right now, the "Wait a Year" list is winning.)

It sure has been nice having this discussion board to express my frustrations! Ha ha :)





Is U of A giving you $$? If not I wouldn't waste your GPA. How much do you want to go to UNC? Would you take it if they offered?



No, U of A has not offered money, probably since my LSAT score wasn't amazing. I've never thought of my situation the way you put it ("wasting my GPA") and I think you have a good point. Thanks for the help! I really do appreciate it.

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Waitlisted. Finally.

At least it's not the rejection I felt certain to receive, but the dream is essentially over.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Received waitlist e-mail at 8:19pm. Only took them over 6 months for them to make a decision from when I applied. I'm planning to withdrawal once I receive the letter in the mail. I'll be at Wake Forest in the fall.

Good luck to those who will be attending UNC, and especially to those hoping to get in off the waitlist. :lol:

youikky
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby youikky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:51 pm

what's the job placement of UNC?

is it even possible to be located in California after graduation?

I'm torn between regional schools in CA(loyola, pepp) and UNC. Seems like UNC is a much better school considering tuition, and overall ranking, but im just not sure about job placement of the school.

User avatar
KtSully
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby KtSully » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 pm

Waitlisted as well! I think I'm going to stay on the list. Maybe if I fly out there & visit them in person my chances of getting off the waitlist will increase? I have no idea....

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby gymboree » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:25 pm

UNC.... their admissions people are... I don't know.... Are they overworked? Do they hate their jobs? Do they just not like people? How hard is it to look people in the eye at a recruiting event, or be nice on the phone, or during a visit? These are basic professional skills.

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby lml09 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:29 am

So at this point has anyone NOT heard back?

User avatar
KtSully
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby KtSully » Sat May 01, 2010 11:49 am

gymboree wrote:UNC.... their admissions people are... I don't know.... Are they overworked? Do they hate their jobs? Do they just not like people? How hard is it to look people in the eye at a recruiting event, or be nice on the phone, or during a visit? These are basic professional skills.


So funny (and true)! I have no idea what their problem is either. During the waiting period I kept reassuring myself, "They're just taking their time and reading my application really thoroughly..." but maybe you're right and they just don't like people. Ha ha :-)

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:33 am

KtSully wrote:
gymboree wrote:UNC.... their admissions people are... I don't know.... Are they overworked? Do they hate their jobs? Do they just not like people? How hard is it to look people in the eye at a recruiting event, or be nice on the phone, or during a visit? These are basic professional skills.


So funny (and true)! I have no idea what their problem is either. During the waiting period I kept reassuring myself, "They're just taking their time and reading my application really thoroughly..." but maybe you're right and they just don't like people. Ha ha :-)


I was thinking about it, and I wonder if they are seriously understaffed. The school is run on a tight budget, maybe they don't have enough people in admissions to handle all of the applications and inevitable phone calls, etc. which is why they take forever and ask you not to call.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby tstyler98 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:07 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
KtSully wrote:
gymboree wrote:UNC.... their admissions people are... I don't know.... Are they overworked? Do they hate their jobs? Do they just not like people? How hard is it to look people in the eye at a recruiting event, or be nice on the phone, or during a visit? These are basic professional skills.


So funny (and true)! I have no idea what their problem is either. During the waiting period I kept reassuring myself, "They're just taking their time and reading my application really thoroughly..." but maybe you're right and they just don't like people. Ha ha :-)


I was thinking about it, and I wonder if they are seriously understaffed. The school is run on a tight budget, maybe they don't have enough people in admissions to handle all of the applications and inevitable phone calls, etc. which is why they take forever and ask you not to call.


Well, if they had a status checker, it would help alleviate a lot of their problems. There are many things they could easily do to make both our and their lives easier, but they don't take advantage of it.

User avatar
DoktorZaius
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:21 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby DoktorZaius » Sun May 02, 2010 9:57 pm

lml09 wrote:So at this point has anyone NOT heard back?

I have yet to hear back. As I didn't app until mid February I'm by no means annoyed, but I'm suspecting the worst.

tkicker182
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby tkicker182 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:50 am

waitlisted as well, 166, 3.5+ OOS... sent in my deposit to W&M

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:
KtSully wrote:
gymboree wrote:UNC.... their admissions people are... I don't know.... Are they overworked? Do they hate their jobs? Do they just not like people? How hard is it to look people in the eye at a recruiting event, or be nice on the phone, or during a visit? These are basic professional skills.


So funny (and true)! I have no idea what their problem is either. During the waiting period I kept reassuring myself, "They're just taking their time and reading my application really thoroughly..." but maybe you're right and they just don't like people. Ha ha :-)


I was thinking about it, and I wonder if they are seriously understaffed. The school is run on a tight budget, maybe they don't have enough people in admissions to handle all of the applications and inevitable phone calls, etc. which is why they take forever and ask you not to call.


Well, if they had a status checker, it would help alleviate a lot of their problems. There are many things they could easily do to make both our and their lives easier, but they don't take advantage of it.


No, I totally agree with you. The combination of no status checker, disgruntled staff, and really long response times makes their application process intolerable.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Withdrawing from the WL. I honestly feel like I want to write them a letter which echoes the sentiments so often expressed ITT.

kickthebcket
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby kickthebcket » Mon May 03, 2010 3:03 pm

For all of you on the waitlist, join the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=116254

Thanks!

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dalancas » Mon May 03, 2010 9:00 pm

I went complete on December 1, 2009. Still no word as of yet. I am thinking about asking for a refund. $70 should buy you at least a little better treatment than that!

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Mon May 03, 2010 9:16 pm

webbylu87 wrote:Withdrawing from the WL. I honestly feel like I want to write them a letter which echoes the sentiments so often expressed ITT.


I laughed a little inside when I read the part asking for a "prompt" response.

Hmm, I'll get right on that.

User avatar
bstrunk
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby bstrunk » Tue May 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Rejected (finally). Discovered via MyUNC Portal. Returning $0 to the pot. Best of luck to everyone in the cycle!

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Tue May 04, 2010 6:11 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Alright, someone fess up. :P




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: exitdoesnotexist, Long shot hero, proteinshake and 13 guests