University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
meggers88

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby meggers88 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:27 am

waitlisted. 160/3.6/OOS.

oh well, at this point, i think getting in would have only complicated my decision so i guess it is for the best.

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:32 am

icydash wrote:So far it seems like they've like waitlisted almost every OOSer I've seen...I wonder who got in :?

I am starting to believe the participation in UNC threads on TLS and lawschoolnumbers.com is not very representative of their admitted students. At Admitted Students Day every single other admit I spoke to was OOS. When I took the tour at the end of the day every person in my tour group was OOS.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:58 am

Finally waitlisted. OOS, 169/3.0.

minkins

Postby minkins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:30 am

SweeneyTodd wrote:
icydash wrote:So far it seems like they've like waitlisted almost every OOSer I've seen...I wonder who got in :?

I am starting to believe the participation in UNC threads on TLS and lawschoolnumbers.com is not very representative of their admitted students. At Admitted Students Day every single other admit I spoke to was OOS. When I took the tour at the end of the day every person in my tour group was OOS.

Well UNC is required to have almost 75% students from North Carolina...

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:44 am

SweeneyTodd wrote:

Really? Because it seemed like almost everyone I talked to was a UNC alum.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:46 am

icydash wrote:
mytwocents wrote:
icydash wrote:
lml09 wrote:

Carolina's waitlist is used to fill demographics. Your race, age and residency become almost as important as your numbers.

Or so says the UNC adcomm.

Haha that can't be true, otherwise why would they put a 24 year old, white (jewish) male (me) on the waitlist (we're like the most over populated law school demographic I believe)?

I think lml meant that's the criteria they use for pulling people OFF the waitlist...as for putting you on it, since you're obviously not going to fill any demographics...maybe they want as many people as possible on the waitlist just in case?

Right but why would they put people on "a demographic based waitlist" that they know they aren't going to pull off for demographic reasons? I think they say that it's unranked/"based on demographic filling" so people will stay on the waitlist (and they have the backup if they -really- need it), but most likely it is actually ranked (and by GPA/LSAT).

Touche! I really have no idea. Maybe...just in case? Maybe they are too wussy to just out and out reject you? Because it seems like they've been waitlisting A TON of people.

gmichaelbluth

Postby gmichaelbluth » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:55 am

icydash wrote:
lml09 wrote:
icydash wrote:Can someone explain to me the purpose of -not- ranking the waitlist? It seems like everything else about admissions is numbers based, why would/should the waitlist be any different?

Carolina's waitlist is used to fill demographics. Your race, age and residency become almost as important as your numbers.

Or so says the UNC adcomm.

Haha that can't be true, otherwise why would they put a 24 year old, white (jewish) male (me) on the waitlist (we're like the most over populated law school demographic I believe)?

Ha! There actually aren't that many Jewish students at Carolina Law, so don't lose heart:)

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:11 am

minkins wrote:
SweeneyTodd wrote:

Well UNC is required to have almost 75% students from North Carolina...

Right I am aware of the 75% requirement, but I was just responding to icydash's question about any OOSers being admitted. Just saying that there were OOS students admitted because I met many at ASD.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:11 am

still waitingggggg. at this point i know i've been rejected, but i'm sad nonetheless.

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:17 am

mytwocents wrote:
SweeneyTodd wrote:

We had very different experiences haha. I actually didn't meet any in state students at ASD. Of course that's not to assume I met everyone because I didn't. I would say I talked to about 20 people give or take a few and they were all OOS. I did talk to 2 people that were UNC alum but they were OOS students.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:47 am

SweeneyTodd wrote:
mytwocents wrote:
SweeneyTodd wrote:

We had very different experiences haha. I actually didn't meet any in state students at ASD. Of course that's not to assume I met everyone because I didn't. I would say I talked to about 20 people give or take a few and they were all OOS. I did talk to 2 people that were UNC alum but they were OOS students.

Yeah, I talked to around the same number and many of them were UNC alums (although I think a few of those were OOS, too). Did you go to the April 16th ASD? That means we probably didn't meet! :(

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 am

SweeneyTodd wrote:

This may just be because in-state people or UNC alum are so familiar with the school (or they had already firmed up their decision) or both, that they felt they didn't need to spend the money to attend the ASD.

KtSully

Postby KtSully » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:55 am

Anyone else STILL waiting, like I am?

I guess if I haven't received a waitlist email yet, that means I've been rejected.

Thinking of working for a year, saving up money, retaking LSAT (I got 160 and have a 4.0 GPA) and applying again for the 2014 cycle. Anyone have advice about this idea?

sailgclass

Postby sailgclass » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Last edited by sailgclass on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viro8

Postby viro8 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Yep, still waiting. I'm convinced that they either already rejected me and my letter is in the mail or they just completely forgot about me.

Wheretogo2013

Postby Wheretogo2013 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:13 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
KtSully wrote:Just in case anyone else is still waiting for a response, the Admissions office at UNC (who I have been diligently calling each week for the last month or so) told me on Friday that a decision would be made on every application by May 1.

I expect to be waitlisted. *sigh*

Yo tambien.

This is America, we speak English...

--LinkRemoved--

just a joke people...

KtSully

Postby KtSully » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Wheretogo2013 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
KtSully wrote:Just in case anyone else is still waiting for a response, the Admissions office at UNC (who I have been diligently calling each week for the last month or so) told me on Friday that a decision would be made on every application by May 1.

I expect to be waitlisted. *sigh*

Yo tambien.

This is America, we speak English...

--LinkRemoved--

just a joke people...

So crazy. I live in Arizona and am totally embarrassed by the governor and SB1070. We are the laughing stock of the country... Sorry that this isn't on topic. It's coming from my frustration with UNC!! Ha ha.

icydash

Postby icydash » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:52 pm

thelawdude

Postby thelawdude » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:44 pm

I'm kind of perplexed by UNC admissions. Going into this cycle, they were absolutely my first choice law school....

Well after this waitlist, I've pretty much decided regardless not to go to UNC (so unfortunately I won't be seeing you guys in the fall)...

Does anyone else feel like UNC really hurts themselves with the way they run admissions? By the time they got like 70% of their decisions out this year, most people (especially candidates who are above median and had already gotten accepted to much better schools) had already decided on a school, put down a deposit, and maybe even got scholarships elsewhere. And where two months (or a month) ago these people would have strongly considered UNC, at this point a lot of us just don't have the money/time to start putting down more deposits and considering new options (and for OOSers, flying down to NC to go on a tour after most of the ASDs have already taken place--are there even any more ASDs? or would we have to go on our "own" tour?)...

Also, given the way they ran admissions, I know the first thing that ran through my mind (starting around April 20th) was "oh god, if they admit me, I'm going to have to deal with three more years of this". Maybe the way admissions is done is not an overall sign of how they run things, but I definitely took it as one, and it was a real turn off (to a school I used to not think twice about going to).

/rant

KtSully wrote:Anyone else STILL waiting, like I am?

I guess if I haven't received a waitlist email yet, that means I've been rejected.

Thinking of working for a year, saving up money, retaking LSAT (I got 160 and have a 4.0 GPA) and applying again for the 2014 cycle. Anyone have advice about this idea?

Honestly, you're a little below LSAT median, but so far above GPA median, I'm really shocked they didn't admit you....although you are an OOSer. I think a few LSAT points would definitely help. If you can bump that to a 163/164, I think you'd be in without question.....but then again, UNC admissions boggles my mind and I really have no idea what they're "looking for."

...Also, chances are good that if you bumped your LSAT to a 163/164, you'd have a really good shot at much better schools (or you'd get a lot of money from similarly ranked schools).

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:47 pm

I broke down and called. They said my file was complete and I'd have a decision in a week. I am scratching my head.

juliusgirlie

Postby juliusgirlie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:50 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:I broke down and called. They said my file was complete and I'd have a decision in a week. I am scratching my head.

Jersey, I'm REALLY pulling for you. I think you're in the running for winning the "i've been waiting the longest" award. It's really shocking that you haven't heard something by now. I noticed on LSN that you deposited at Temple. If UNC accepts, do you think you'll change your mind and go there?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:12 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:I broke down and called. They said my file was complete and I'd have a decision in a week. I am scratching my head.

I decided to call too (I was good abiding by their don't call us policy)...they said a decision should be made today and mailed out. I just want to know so I can put this cycle behind me.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 pm

There is another thread where people talked about how UNC would be a top 20 instead of a top 30 if only they focused on more scholly money on in states with 167+/3.6+ where those people who could get into T14 would be basically going for free to UNC. Let me see if I can find it.

Well they redid the search function and I can't find it. I am really pulling for you thought Kt

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:33 pm

juliusgirlie wrote:

Jersey, I'm REALLY pulling for you. I think you're in the running for winning the "i've been waiting the longest" award. It's really shocking that you haven't heard something by now. I noticed on LSN that you deposited at Temple. If UNC accepts, do you think you'll change your mind and go there?

Awwww thanks!

It's really tough for me to say what I would do. I think I would be a little foolish to turn down UNC if I actually got in. But at the same time, I'm planning on Philadelphia and becoming increasingly convinced Temple is a great fit for me. My fiance is following me to school, and I think of all the schools I got into, Temple was the best option for both of us. I think he could flourish in the Chapel Hill area, because it is great and booming, but it's still hard to say.

Oh well, it's all so hypothetical. For all I know, they made a decision and just didn't say so. I really just want to know so I can put the questions to rest! Thanks for the good wishes!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Matteliszt wrote:There is another thread where people talked about how UNC would be a top 20 instead of a top 30 if only they focused on more scholly money on in states with 167+/3.6+ where those people who could get into T14 would be basically going for free to UNC. Let me see if I can find it.

It's true. There are MANY in-state people who choose not to go to UNC because private schools and higher-ranked public schools are a good deal cheaper because UNC doesn't dole out too many in-state scholarships. Heck, I'll probably end up at WFU or W&M because both are a LOT cheaper for me than UNC even with NC residency. The lack of a scholarship and the condescending attitudes that you get when you try to communicate with the admissions folks both turned me off completely. Even though I got in relatively quickly, it went from a top 2 school for me to not even in the top 6 or so. I can only imagine the frustration that the people who have waited for months on end must be feeling. Simply put, UNC needs to get its act together.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”