University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:I'm going to buy some booze for the inevitable rejection-bloodbath.


Mark this girl down for a bottle of jager :)


I was going to get bourbon to sip, rumple to shoot. I feel like they have a humongous stack of rejection letters ready to go yet sit there unsent. However, they've rejected a few people. So every so often when someone in the admissions office has to mail a birthday card, they reach into the stack and mail one of the rejection letters since they're already going to the post-office.

Logical?

Scribbly
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Scribbly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:08 pm

It seems that way. I was expecting a waitlist add. I feel like I've been waitlisted already. I mean, no way any of us are getting anything better now, probably.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:09 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
insertclevernamehere wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:I'm going to buy some booze for the inevitable rejection-bloodbath.


Mark this girl down for a bottle of jager :)


I was going to get bourbon to sip, rumple to shoot. I feel like they have a humongous stack of rejection letters ready to go yet sit there unsent. However, they've rejected a few people. So every so often when someone in the admissions office has to mail a birthday card, they reach into the stack and mail one of the rejection letters since they're already going to the post-office.

Logical?


Logical? No. Probably still the case? Yes.

Scribbly
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Scribbly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:17 pm

I mean, when I called to ask (before submitting my deposit elsewhere), they said they hadn't even reviewed my application yet. I call B.S.

insertclevernamehere
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby insertclevernamehere » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:31 pm

I agree that our rejection letters are already printed and they are just making us sweat.

What kills me is that I really thought I was going to get in, I'm not sure why I felt that way anymore. I told everyone that I spoke with back in October that UNC was my number 1 with a gold star, and now I don't even know how I feel anymore. (This is all stuff I have said in this thread before, but each day I feel more and more silly about how naive I was).

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:I agree that our rejection letters are already printed and they are just making us sweat.

What kills me is that I really thought I was going to get in, I'm not sure why I felt that way anymore. I told everyone that I spoke with back in October that UNC was my number 1 with a gold star, and now I don't even know how I feel anymore. (This is all stuff I have said in this thread before, but each day I feel more and more silly about how naive I was).


I agree. I was all sent to go to UNC if accepted. Still am. I just thought that I was sort of what they're looking for. However, in the back of mind, I was quite aware of their very low yield rate. I figured this must mean that they reject plenty of people over their medians. That said, I thought that I had the softs which would additionally compel them. Don't get me wrong, we haven't been rejected yet. But also, where's there's smoke - there's fire. There's plenty of reason to believe that our suspicions are accurate.

I was really optimistic about the place.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:45 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
insertclevernamehere wrote:I agree that our rejection letters are already printed and they are just making us sweat.

What kills me is that I really thought I was going to get in, I'm not sure why I felt that way anymore. I told everyone that I spoke with back in October that UNC was my number 1 with a gold star, and now I don't even know how I feel anymore. (This is all stuff I have said in this thread before, but each day I feel more and more silly about how naive I was).


I agree. I was all sent to go to UNC if accepted. Still am. I just thought that I was sort of what they're looking for. However, in the back of mind, I was quite aware of their very low yield rate. I figured this must mean that they reject plenty of people over their medians. That said, I thought that I had the softs which would additionally compel them. Don't get me wrong, we haven't been rejected yet. But also, where's there's smoke - there's fire. There's plenty of reason to believe that our suspicions are accurate.

I was really optimistic about the place.


+1

User avatar
mytwocents
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby mytwocents » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:15 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:UNC has 10 more days to get these decisions out and a ton of "decision pending" people are still hanging out on LSN.

So hopefully huge batches of information will start coming out, as opposed to this "drip, drip" that has been occurring lately.


Speaking from my experience last year...UNC will wait until literally the very LAST day that they're able to send out rejections. Last year, I got my rejection a day or two after May 1...like they mailed them out ON May 1, so technically they're "sending out decisions by May 1" but you won't necessarily receive them by that date. I was also an in-state student last year and was living about 20 minutes from Chapel Hill...if they had mailed the letters prior to May 1, I probably should have gotten it on May 1 but I didn't.

If you're going by what's happened in previous years, I wouldn't expect any kind of "wave" until a day or so after May 1. Hopefully this year is different, but you never know. And I apologize in advance for being a Debbie Downer and bringing more negativity into this thread :(

makingasnack
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby makingasnack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:22 pm

I've already accepted my fate as, at best, a waitlist. Which is fine. I will probably retake the LSAT and apply again next year. I'm on the WL at Wake, but not too keen about paying sticker even if I get off the WL. A few points higher and I think I would be competitive at UNC & scholarship material at Wake next year.

In the meantime, I hope to move to NC from Florida. Half for the far-out hope of when I reapply I could be considered in-state (I know, you're supposed to have lived there at least 1 year before your application to be considered a resident, but humor me!) and half just because North Carolina freaking rocks. Just hoping I can get a job w/ a law firm or something as a paralegal/littigation support staff in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel-Hill area. Anyone know of anything? :wink:

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:33 pm

makingasnack wrote:
In the meantime, I hope to move to NC from Florida. Half for the far-out hope of when I reapply I could be considered in-state (I know, you're supposed to have lived there at least 1 year before your application to be considered a resident, but humor me!) and half just because North Carolina freaking rocks.


Not if you don't like the backwards thinking of a overly punitive police-state...which is half the reason I am getting the hell out of here; outside of the cities (charlotte, WS, Raleigh), you run the risk of meeting some very crooked law enforcement. I have learned that if you are younger than 30, this is not the place to be.

Though UNC is a great school, I think I am just ready to move on.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:34 pm

dp73816 wrote:Not if you don't like the backwards thinking of a overly punitive police-state...which is half the reason I am getting the hell out of here; outside of the cities (charlotte, WS, Raleigh), you run the risk of meeting some very crooked law enforcement. I have learned that if you are younger than 30, this is not the place to be.


Elaborate?

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Matteliszt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Interested as well.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:45 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
dp73816 wrote:Not if you don't like the backwards thinking of a overly punitive police-state...which is half the reason I am getting the hell out of here; outside of the cities (charlotte, WS, Raleigh), you run the risk of meeting some very crooked law enforcement. I have learned that if you are younger than 30, this is not the place to be.


Elaborate?



I have lived in both western and central NC ( grew up in Raleigh and college in the mtns.), and the crap they pull on younger, usually non-voting people is just ridiculous. I have been pulled over and detained until I submitted to a car search, for no reason at all. I have had cops wake me up, already in my place and searching the apartment because a stupid ass roommate broke something on-property. I have had friends arrested and charged with "possession of precursor chemicals" (ie meth-making material) simply because they had a pack of Sudafed in their glove compartment.

Though this type of stuff usually doesnt happen on or near campuses, because they are afraid of kids whose parents have deep pockets, it is very common in the surrounding areas. It seems that since the state is going broke, they will do anything to make some cash. Since most under 30's dont vote, I guess they think that is the easiest way :roll:

makingasnack
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby makingasnack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:49 pm

dp73816 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
dp73816 wrote:Not if you don't like the backwards thinking of a overly punitive police-state...which is half the reason I am getting the hell out of here; outside of the cities (charlotte, WS, Raleigh), you run the risk of meeting some very crooked law enforcement. I have learned that if you are younger than 30, this is not the place to be.


Elaborate?



I have lived in both western and central NC ( grew up in Raleigh and college in the mtns.), and the crap they pull on younger, usually non-voting people is just ridiculous. I have been pulled over and detained until I submitted to a car search, for no reason at all. I have had cops wake me up, already in my place and searching the apartment because a stupid ass roommate broke something on-property. I have had friends arrested and charged with "possession of precursor chemicals" (ie meth-making material) simply because they had a pack of Sudafed in their glove compartment.

Though this type of stuff usually doesnt happen on or near campuses, because they are afraid of kids whose parents have deep pockets, it is very common in the surrounding areas. It seems that since the state is going broke, they will do anything to make some cash. Since most under 30's dont vote, I guess they think that is the easiest way :roll:


I lived in North Carolina for a few years (Hickory, actually, if anyone cares). I can honestly say that what you describe is completely foreign to me or any of my friends. I don't consider myself to be an overly risky/ law-breaking individual, so I never personally ran into too many problems. I got a speeding ticket once, but when you're going 15 over, you really can't whine and complain about it.

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm

I've lived in NC all my life, have friends in the mountains (Boone, Asheville) and the coast (Wilmington). Never heard of any of the stuff you're talking about. I've lived in the CH/Durham/Carrboro area for 6 years now and never seen or heard any of that here. Also I grew up south of Charlotte (Gastonia), nothin there either.

Maybe I got lucky or my friends are different but I would't worry about this if I were someone coming from out of state.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:54 pm

makingasnack wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
dp73816 wrote:Not if you don't like the backwards thinking of a overly punitive police-state...which is half the reason I am getting the hell out of here; outside of the cities (charlotte, WS, Raleigh), you run the risk of meeting some very crooked law enforcement. I have learned that if you are younger than 30, this is not the place to be.


Elaborate?



I have lived in both western and central NC ( grew up in Raleigh and college in the mtns.), and the crap they pull on younger, usually non-voting people is just ridiculous. I have been pulled over and detained until I submitted to a car search, for no reason at all. I have had cops wake me up, already in my place and searching the apartment because a stupid ass roommate broke something on-property. I have had friends arrested and charged with "possession of precursor chemicals" (ie meth-making material) simply because they had a pack of Sudafed in their glove compartment.

Though this type of stuff usually doesnt happen on or near campuses, because they are afraid of kids whose parents have deep pockets, it is very common in the surrounding areas. It seems that since the state is going broke, they will do anything to make some cash. Since most under 30's dont vote, I guess they think that is the easiest way :roll:


I lived in North Carolina for a few years (Hickory, actually, if anyone cares). I can honestly say that what you describe is completely foreign to me or any of my friends. I don't consider myself to be an overly risky/ law-breaking individual, so I never personally ran into too many problems. I got a speeding ticket once, but when you're going 15 over, you really can't whine and complain about it.



Hickory? Really?? I live in Lenoir, and had to deal with that crap. I too have never been charged or convicted of anything (2 speeding tickets), but it seems like they are out to get you, if you are young. Just last week, my girlfriend got pulled over for a speeding ticket, and they called the drug dogs - once again, for no reason.

I must say that I am partially jaded, because I work in a criminal defense attorney's office and had an internship at the DA's; I see all of the BS they do, so I know what is really up. Just be really careful if you come here.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:54 pm

makingasnack wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:I've lived in NC all my life, have friends in the mountains (Boone, Asheville) and the coast (Wilmington). Never heard of any of the stuff you're talking about. I've lived in the CH/Durham/Carrboro area for 6 years now and never seen or heard any of that here. Also I grew up south of Charlotte (Gastonia), nothin there either.

Maybe I got lucky or my friends are different but I would't worry about this if I were someone coming from out of state.

I lived in North Carolina for a few years (Hickory, actually, if anyone cares). I can honestly say that what you describe is completely foreign to me or any of my friends. I don't consider myself to be an overly risky/ law-breaking individual, so I never personally ran into too many problems. I got a speeding ticket once, but when you're going 15 over, you really can't whine and complain about it.


+1 to both of these. I've lived here my whole life, and I've never had such problems or had any friends with such problems.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:57 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:I've lived in NC all my life, have friends in the mountains (Boone, Asheville) and the coast (Wilmington). Never heard of any of the stuff you're talking about. I've lived in the CH/Durham/Carrboro area for 6 years now and never seen or heard any of that here. Also I grew up south of Charlotte (Gastonia), nothin there either.

Maybe I got lucky or my friends are different but I would't worry about this if I were someone coming from out of state.



You lived in Boone and never had problems with the cops? Thats incredible.

But Im going to shutup now, because if you go to UNC you wont have these problems. Chapel Hill is beautiful. Just realize that UNC and the surrounding area is not the rest of NC.

User avatar
j.wellington
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby j.wellington » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:57 pm

dp73816 wrote:
Hickory? Really?? I live in Lenoir, and had to deal with that crap. I too have never been charged or convicted of anything (2 speeding tickets), but it seems like they are out to get you, if you are young. Just last week, my girlfriend got pulled over for a speeding ticket, and they called the drug dogs - once again, for no reason.

I must say that I am partially jaded, because I work in a criminal defense attorney's office and had an internship at the DA's; I see all of the BS they do, so I know what is really up. Just be really careful if you come here.


I've been lurking here. I believe you wrote in an earlier post that you're probably headed to Rutgers. If a de facto police state is what you're worried about, NJ/NY is the last place you want to be.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:58 pm

j.wellington wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
Hickory? Really?? I live in Lenoir, and had to deal with that crap. I too have never been charged or convicted of anything (2 speeding tickets), but it seems like they are out to get you, if you are young. Just last week, my girlfriend got pulled over for a speeding ticket, and they called the drug dogs - once again, for no reason.

I must say that I am partially jaded, because I work in a criminal defense attorney's office and had an internship at the DA's; I see all of the BS they do, so I know what is really up. Just be really careful if you come here.


I've been lurking here. I believe you wrote in an earlier post that you're probably headed to Rutgers. If a de facto police state is what you're worried about, NJ/NY is the last place you want to be.



Very, very true. Scares me, but they gave me a lot of $$, so it looks like I have to suck it up.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:59 pm

I have a friend or two who get profiled, or used to, in my small-ish hometown in central/east NC. They deserve it though, as some of the people that they used to hang out with were known street-racers, and their cars fit the bill. Otherwise, I haven't heard of this sort of thing. I've lived in different parts of the state.

User avatar
mytwocents
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby mytwocents » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 pm

dp73816 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
dp73816 wrote:Not if you don't like the backwards thinking of a overly punitive police-state...which is half the reason I am getting the hell out of here; outside of the cities (charlotte, WS, Raleigh), you run the risk of meeting some very crooked law enforcement. I have learned that if you are younger than 30, this is not the place to be.


Elaborate?



I have lived in both western and central NC ( grew up in Raleigh and college in the mtns.), and the crap they pull on younger, usually non-voting people is just ridiculous. I have been pulled over and detained until I submitted to a car search, for no reason at all. I have had cops wake me up, already in my place and searching the apartment because a stupid ass roommate broke something on-property. I have had friends arrested and charged with "possession of precursor chemicals" (ie meth-making material) simply because they had a pack of Sudafed in their glove compartment.

Though this type of stuff usually doesnt happen on or near campuses, because they are afraid of kids whose parents have deep pockets, it is very common in the surrounding areas. It seems that since the state is going broke, they will do anything to make some cash. Since most under 30's dont vote, I guess they think that is the easiest way :roll:


Yeah, I'm sorry that this stuff happened to you...but I've never heard of things like this happening to anyone I know.

ETA: Also, I'm not sure any of the stuff you mentioned is NC-specific. I mean, there are crooked cops/DAs/law enforcement officials everywhere.
Last edited by mytwocents on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Bedsole wrote:I have a friend or two who get profiled, or used to, in my small-ish hometown in central/east NC. They deserve it though, as some of the people that they used to hang out with were known street-racers, and their cars fit the bill. Otherwise, I haven't heard of this sort of thing. I've lived in different parts of the state.



See, all of your responses are odd to me; whenever I go home or go out with other individuals in different parts of the state, the conversation always turns to how horrible the police are in whatever area we are in. Then again, most of the people I go out with are law students or work as paralegals etc., so they too are kind of turned on to whatever is happening there.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:06 pm

mytwocents wrote:

ETA: Also, I'm not sure any of the stuff you mentioned is NC-specific. I mean, there are crooked cops/DAs/law enforcement officials everywhere.


I wouldnt know...NC all my life :shock: . Guess I have the "grass is always greener..." mentality. Yet I doubt its greener in NJ. Hell, Ill be happy if there's grass. I think I'm really just ready to get out of the south for a while.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:08 pm

dp73816 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:I have a friend or two who get profiled, or used to, in my small-ish hometown in central/east NC. They deserve it though, as some of the people that they used to hang out with were known street-racers, and their cars fit the bill. Otherwise, I haven't heard of this sort of thing. I've lived in different parts of the state.



See, all of your responses are odd to me; whenever I go home or go out with other individuals in different parts of the state, the conversation always turns to how horrible the police are in whatever area we are in. Then again, most of the people I go out with are law students or work as paralegals etc., so they too are kind of turned on to whatever is happening there.


Well, if it makes any difference, I have worked for several attorneys, and even they never really have had these problems. Like the other poster said, it isn't really an NC-specific thing. I'm sure there are plenty of crooked cops, etc. in NC, but that's honestly pretty typical of anywhere. You'll have crooked individuals in positions of power in whatever state you go to. Some folks just have really bad luck with them sometimes (it sounds like this may be the case for you -- you just happen to be someone they pick on for some reason)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests