University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATfromNC

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Sorry I missed the part about my decision. It's pretty simple: finances and location.

For the long answer. My tuition at Wake was covered with a merit scholarship and GI Bill. To keep the merit scholarship there was the 2/3 requirement, if I fell below that then I lost half of the scholarship. So potentially Wake would have cost me almost 25k more than UNC. And since I view them as peer schools I took the sure bet with UNC, since GI Bill only needs a passing grade. So I will have no stress (at least in regards to losing a scholarship) come grade time. I simply need pass to keep my GI Bill, and possibly do a little better to land a gig as a small town ADA/Public Defender.

Second, location. Hands down UNC. A large variety of things to do within a 30 minute drive. Better job opps for my Wife. Also my wife has an inkling towards attending vet school, and there is one (I believe the only one in NC) fairly close by (I think it's NC State, not sure, so don't quote me).

All in all they are both great schools, and at similar cost you can't go wrong at either. Both are awesome schools and I feel blessed with the opportunities that have been offered to me. Especially as there are many who would kill to have been accepted at either school, yet alone have to choose one over the other. Good luck where ever you guys, and girls, decide to attend. For those of you attending UNC I look forward to meeting you in the fall, and for those of you attending elsewhere I hope we get the chance to work together one day.

let0927

Postby let0927 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Sorry I missed the part about my decision. It's pretty simple: finances and location.

For the long answer. My tuition at Wake was covered with a merit scholarship and GI Bill. To keep the merit scholarship there was the 2/3 requirement, if I fell below that then I lost half of the scholarship. So potentially Wake would have cost me almost 25k more than UNC. And since I view them as peer schools I took the sure bet with UNC, since GI Bill only needs a passing grade. So I will have no stress (at least in regards to losing a scholarship) come grade time. I simply need pass to keep my GI Bill, and possibly do a little better to land a gig as a small town ADA/Public Defender.

Second, location. Hands down UNC. A large variety of things to do within a 30 minute drive. Better job opps for my Wife. Also my wife has an inkling towards attending vet school, and there is one (I believe the only one in NC) fairly close by (I think it's NC State, not sure, so don't quote me).

All in all they are both great schools, and at similar cost you can't go wrong at either. Both are awesome schools and I feel blessed with the opportunities that have been offered to me. Especially as there are many who would kill to have been accepted at either school, yet alone have to choose one over the other. Good luck where ever you guys, and girls, decide to attend. For those of you attending UNC I look forward to meeting you in the fall, and for those of you attending elsewhere I hope we get the chance to work together one day.

Good points and yes, the vet school is at state.

Ml8080

Postby Ml8080 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:24 pm

sailgclass wrote:
Ml8080 wrote:I just got a phone call from Dean States saying that I was accepted. He was very nice and said that an email and packet would follow shortly. Hope that everyone else waiting gets the same news.

In-state with a 167 and 3.76

Oh no. Now I'm going to get anxious anytime my phone rings for the next two weeks.

Congrats on your acceptance. Are you definitely attending?

Yes, I'm definitely attending. UNC was my #1 choice from the start and I am thrilled to have been accepted. Wake, UGA, and W&L would have all been a little bit cheaper (assuming I don't get scholarship money from Carolina), but Carolina is where I want to be and it sets me up best for my career plans.

Thanks jss1100 and seanbickford, good luck to you!

Favor2010

Postby Favor2010 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 am

Ml8080 wrote:
sailgclass wrote:
Ml8080 wrote:I just got a phone call from Dean States saying that I was accepted. He was very nice and said that an email and packet would follow shortly. Hope that everyone else waiting gets the same news.

In-state with a 167 and 3.76

Oh no. Now I'm going to get anxious anytime my phone rings for the next two weeks.

Congrats on your acceptance. Are you definitely attending?

Yes, I'm definitely attending. UNC was my #1 choice from the start and I am thrilled to have been accepted. Wake, UGA, and W&L would have all been a little bit cheaper (assuming I don't get scholarship money from Carolina), but Carolina is where I want to be and it sets me up best for my career plans.

Thanks jss1100 and seanbickford, good luck to you!

Congrats!! I look forward to seeing you in the Fall..

landlocked

Postby landlocked » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:51 pm

I also received a call from Dean States yesterday offering admission. I just got the follow up email a few minutes ago, so I guess it is official!!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

PM if you'd like stats-

thestoryends

Postby thestoryends » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:15 pm

anybody hear anything scholarship-related recently? it's about that time....

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:47 pm

thestoryends wrote:anybody hear anything scholarship-related recently? it's about that time....

We were told at ASD yesterday that if you haven't heard anything yet about merit scholarships it is "unlikely" that you will receive one.

thestoryends

Postby thestoryends » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:15 am

sigh... i shoulda known the "more scholarship offers after deposits" line was "unlikely" to be true.

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:40 am

mytwocents wrote:
thestoryends wrote:anybody hear anything scholarship-related recently? it's about that time....

We were told at ASD yesterday that if you haven't heard anything yet about merit scholarships it is "unlikely" that you will receive one.

How did the ASD go?

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:10 am

ASD was great!
My two cents,
I knew you were at ASD but I didn't know where you were. Where did you sit during the presentation?

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Matteliszt wrote:

ASD was great!
My two cents,
I knew you were at ASD but I didn't know where you were. Where did you sit during the presentation?

I sat toward the middle of the second row. If it helps, I was one of the few wearing jeans :) Where were you sitting?

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:24 pm

Somewherewarm and I were back row.

I am easily recognizable I have long black hair(am a dude)

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Somewherewarm and I were back row.

I am easily recognizable I have long black hair(am a dude)

Were you hanging out with a group of other dudes during the club/housing fair thingy? I'm pretty sure I saw you!

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:35 pm

Yep! Where were you?
When are you moving up there(or are you a resident?)
Are you in the facebook group?

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Yep! Where were you?
When are you moving up there(or are you a resident?)
Are you in the facebook group?

I was walking around, mostly talking to people at the club tables...but I'm pretty sure I saw you guys standing near some of the housing folks.

I live about 2 hours from Chapel Hill (near Charlotte), and I'll be moving up some time this summer...probably early August/end of July. No idea where I'm living yet, though. My roommate for next year is a friend of mine from high school who went to UNC for UG. She knows the area much better than I do, so I'm letting her do most of the choosing when it comes to housing.

And yeah, I'm in the facebook group! If I figure out who some of you kids are, I'll probably end up adding you, haha.

ihopeihope

Postby ihopeihope » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:52 pm

For those of us who still haven't heard anything, should we just assume waitlist/rejection at this point? Or is there still a glimmer of hope that there are a few admission letters still waiting to go out from freed up spots because seat deposits were due Friday? Thoughts?

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 pm

ihopeihope wrote:For those of us who still haven't heard anything, should we just assume waitlist/rejection at this point? Or is there still a glimmer of hope that there are a few admission letters still waiting to go out from freed up spots because seat deposits were due Friday? Thoughts?

+1 I would just like to hear something...anything at all!

seanbickford

Postby seanbickford » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:38 pm

*sigh*

NCclarice

Postby NCclarice » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:52 am

Returned home from vacation to receive rejection letter dated 4/09. Was waitlisted last year and thought I would have better luck this year. Guess I was wrong.....

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:18 am

Sorry to hear that.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:25 am

Waitlist email this morning at 8:56 am

ihopeihope

Postby ihopeihope » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:05 am

Waitlist email at 7:56 am. sigh. At least I can stop constantly fearing my email/mailbox and it wasn't an outright rejection. Good luck to everyone still waiting. I'm sure you'll hear soon--sounds like they are sending out a wave today.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 am

After six long months FINALLY the waitlist email, I'm relieved to be honest.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:45 am

Withdrew the other day. Going to Wake instead. Hopefully one of you folks gets my spot.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:05 am

I still have not heard a thing! Honestly, I thought I'd be outright rejected by UNC so I'm a bit surprised...then again, my cycle has been completely unpredictable this year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”