University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ml8080

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Ml8080 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm

I still haven't heard either. I have a 167 and a 3.76 and am in-state. I thought my chances were really good, but now I'm starting to doubt it...

TargusTargus

Postby TargusTargus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Ml, when did you go complete?

Ml8080

Postby Ml8080 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:04 pm

2/10 or something like that.

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Ml8080 wrote:I still haven't heard either. I have a 167 and a 3.76 and am in-state. I thought my chances were really good, but now I'm starting to doubt it...

MI youve got to be an auto admit. In-state with those stats.

Ml8080

Postby Ml8080 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:20 pm

I hope so, but I'm starting to worry. Also, Carolina's old LSN graphs don't show a predictable pattern.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Ml8080 wrote:I hope so, but I'm starting to worry. Also, Carolina's old LSN graphs don't show a predictable pattern.

When did you apply? You have slightly better numbers than me. I couldn't find someone on LSN who had our numbers that was not accepted into UNC (including the waitlisted then accepted people).

Ml8080

Postby Ml8080 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:20 pm

I applied in late January and went complete about 2/10, so maybe the late application is holding up a decision.

Over the last few days, there were a few in-state people with 168's and 3-3.5 GPA's waitlisted. Kinda makes me nervous.

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Ml8080 wrote:I applied in late January and went complete about 2/10, so maybe the late application is holding up a decision.

Over the last few days, there were a few in-state people with 168's and 3-3.5 GPA's waitlisted. Kinda makes me nervous.

Yeah I saw those. Ill be applying next cycle with a 3.2 164 which I previously thought would be almost auto-in on the LSAT alone considering my residency and their 75% requirement but damn not gonna lie I'm a bit less optimistic.

edit: I really think those waitlists are a result of the apparent UNC model where they WL ppl to test their desire to come. 3.5 168s are going to have decent chances at 15-30, and i know tons of ppl who would pay sticker for one of those instead of the instate at UNC.

let0927

Postby let0927 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 pm

idylls wrote:Below is the email I received from the director of admissions....

"Thank you for your continued interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill.

Your application is currently with the admissions committee, thus it is still awaiting a decision. It is not unusual for an application to await a decision for several months. I'm sure you can imagine the hundreds of applications and supporting documents we are receiving each week. Unfortunately, this is a process that often requires much patience. Our latest correspondences were two emails sent in January and February 2010 regarding your application's receipt and completion. We are hoping to roll a majority of our decisions out throughout the entire month of April with all decisions to candidates on or before May 1st.

If you are holding acceptances and scholarship offers from other law schools, I will highly advise you to consider placing a deposit down. I would hate for you to miss out on an opportunity that another lawl skool has granted you. It is clearly communicated on our web site that all applicants will have a decision regarding their candidacy on or before May 1st.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have additional inquires please feel free to directly contact me with questions."

Anyone else notice the ibonics here?

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:54 am

let0927 wrote:

"Thank you for your continued interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill.

Your application is currently with the admissions committee, thus it is still awaiting a decision. It is not unusual for an application to await a decision for several months. I'm sure you can imagine the hundreds of applications and supporting documents we are receiving each week. Unfortunately, this is a process that often requires much patience. Our latest correspondences were two emails sent in January and February 2010 regarding your application's receipt and completion. We are hoping to roll a majority of our decisions out throughout the entire month of April with all decisions to candidates on or before May 1st.

If you are holding acceptances and scholarship offers from other law schools, I will highly advise you to consider placing a deposit down. I would hate for you to miss out on an opportunity that another lawl skool has granted you. It is clearly communicated on our web site that all applicants will have a decision regarding their candidacy on or before May 1st.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have additional inquires please feel free to directly contact me with questions."

Yesterday T L S pulled an April Fool's joke on users so anytime you entered certain words they were automatically changed. One of the words was "l a w school" which automatically changed to "lawl skool". See these threads

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112994

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112995

Center2450

Postby Center2450 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:03 pm

SweeneyTodd wrote:
let0927 wrote:

Yesterday T L S pulled an April Fool's joke on users so anytime you entered certain words they were automatically changed. One of the words was "l a w school" which automatically changed to "lawl skool". See these threads

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112994

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112995

ya and if you typed Duke it changed it to "Tucker Max University" - no joke

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Just checking, anyone receive a scholarship this week?

eye

Postby eye » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:24 pm

If I don't get a scholarship, I will officially be deferring law school for a year.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:16 am

Who is still waiting to hear from UNC in re admissions or scholarships?

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:48 am

Last edited by blahblewblah on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Emma1 wrote:Who is still waiting to hear from UNC in re admissions or scholarships?

Still waiting on my decision, last school in the cycle and now that my philly schools are effectively free, prospects for unc are looking dim, as sad as that makes me to say.

justme13

Postby justme13 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm still waiting on a scholarship offer. The admissions office said they would send notifications on April 5th.... Has anybody gotten an email yet? Because I didn't... I fear this means I will not be receiving a scholarship. :(

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:00 pm

justme13 wrote:I'm still waiting on a scholarship offer. The admissions office said they would send notifications on April 5th.... Has anybody gotten an email yet? Because I didn't... I fear this means I will not be receiving a scholarship. :(

Being as I'm not a URM, I've given up on getting any kind of money from UNC :(

Schrute Farms Beets

Postby Schrute Farms Beets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:15 pm

mytwocents wrote:
justme13 wrote:I'm still waiting on a scholarship offer. The admissions office said they would send notifications on April 5th.... Has anybody gotten an email yet? Because I didn't... I fear this means I will not be receiving a scholarship. :(

UNC only gives scholarships to URMs? I understand they are slim with their scholarship offers but that can't be true as several non-URM people on this thread (based on their profiles) and on LSN this year and last year were offered scholarships.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Schrute Farms Beets wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

UNC only gives scholarships to URMs? I understand they are slim with their scholarship offers but that can't be true as several non-URM people on this thread (based on their profiles) and on LSN this year and last year were offered scholarships.

They don't limit the scholarships to URMs, but a significantly higher percentage of URMs get scholarships that do non-URMs. This is based off previous years' LSN numbers, so maybe it will be different this year. I highly doubt it will be though.

Schrute Farms Beets

Postby Schrute Farms Beets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:46 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

They don't limit the scholarships to URMs, but a significantly higher percentage of URMs get scholarships that do non-URMs. This is based off previous years' LSN numbers, so maybe it will be different this year. I highly doubt it will be though.

From where are you getting this information on LSN? I just looked at LSN numbers for 08-09 and of the 17 people that listed an offer, 35% are White, 35% are URM, and 29% have no race listed. (of course we could be looking at different information) If UNC is significantly offering more scholarships to URMs when they make up less of the applicant pool that's a shitty practice -- well unless they have higher numbers or something else is being considered. But it doesn't look to me like URMs get a significantly higher percentage of scholarships based on LSN.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:55 pm

[quote=

From where are you getting this information on LSN? I just looked at LSN numbers for 08-09 and of the 17 people that listed an offer, 35% are White, 35% are URM, and 29% have no race listed. If UNC is significantly offering more scholarships to URMs when they make up less of the applicant pool that's a shitty practice -- well unless they have higher numbers or something else is being considered. But it doesn't look to me like URMs get a significantly higher percentage of scholarships based on LSN.[/quote]

It's percentages. If whites and URM's matriculated in equal numbers, then your point would make more sense. But at UNC a substantially higher percentage of URMs get schollies than do us white folk...at a pretty absurd rate.

on a side note that I hope doesn't turn into a flame-fest....the dean of admissions is black. Do you think this could be the reason why? Maybe he empathizes with the URMs?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:06 pm

lawhawk wrote:
It's percentages. If whites and URM's matriculated in equal numbers, then your point would make more sense. But at UNC a substantially higher percentage of URMs get schollies than do us white folk...at a pretty absurd rate.

Yes. You seem to have summed it up better than I did. That's what I was referring to. As for LSN, the information from there plus second hand knowledge is where I'm getting it from. I know several people at the school who have told me that they do practice this.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schrute Farms Beets

Postby Schrute Farms Beets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:17 pm

lawhawk wrote:[quote=

From where are you getting this information on LSN? I just looked at LSN numbers for 08-09 and of the 17 people that listed an offer, 35% are White, 35% are URM, and 29% have no race listed. If UNC is significantly offering more scholarships to URMs when they make up less of the applicant pool that's a shitty practice -- well unless they have higher numbers or something else is being considered. But it doesn't look to me like URMs get a significantly higher percentage of scholarships based on LSN.

on a side note that I hope doesn't turn into a flame-fest....the dean of admissions is black. Do you think this could be the reason why? Maybe he empathizes with the URMs?[/quote]

Okay, well your interpretation of the statement was different than mine. I understand your point. It's not that URMs receive a signficantly higher percentage of scholarships than non-URMs total, you are saying that they have a higher percentage that receive scholarships based on the total number of URMs admitted than non-URMs receiving offers based on the total number of non-URMs admitted.

I really would like to see the hard official data on this topic before questioning whether or not the dean of admin's race has any effect upon scholarship offers. I'm looking around on the law school's website and have yet to find anything about this. If someone finds an official scholarship demographic breakdown please provide a link because other than that sounds to me like speculation involving a review of threads and comparison of LSN numbers (which may or may not be a representative sample).

Sorry, I am a research analyst by profession so when people start talking about something being "significantly higher" my ears perk up -- that's all.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Okay, well your interpretation of the statement was different than mine. I understand your point. It's not that URMs receive a signficantly higher percentage of scholarships than non-URMs total, you are saying that they have a higher percentage that receive scholarships based on the total number of URMs admitted than non-URMs receiving offers based on the total number of non-URMs admitted.

I really would like to see the hard official data on this topic before I comment about whether or not the dean of admin's race has any effect upon scholarship offers. I'm looking around on the law school's website and have yet to find anything about this. If someone finds an official scholarship demographic breakdown please provide a link because other than that sounds to me like speculation involving a review of threads and comparison of LSN numbers (which may or may not be a representative sample).

Sorry, I am a research analyst by profession so when people start talking about something being "significantly higher" my ears perk up -- that's all.

There you go. The bolded is what I was going for. I apologize if I worded it poorly, but Lawhawk got what I was trying to say. Sorry for the confusion.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”