University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lml09

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:06 am

TarheelHopeful wrote:Waitlisted by email at around 10:20 last night. In state, senior at Carolina, 164 and 3.5. Now I have no idea what to do - just sent my deposit to Wake Forest yesterday. Guess I'll ride out the waitlist - this is tough!

No! Your numbers are great though, at least Wake is smart enough to accept you.

What's up with everyone saying that the waitlist email was encouraging? My snail mail waitlist isn't, it just says "you're waitlisted, our waitlist is unranked, don't contact us."

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:09 am

TarheelHopeful wrote:Waitlisted by email at around 10:20 last night. In state, senior at Carolina, 164 and 3.5. Now I have no idea what to do - just sent my deposit to Wake Forest yesterday. Guess I'll ride out the waitlist - this is tough!

Aww, I'm sorry!! Good luck - Wake is a great school and TBH Carolina's Law School doesn't deserve you! :wink:

webbylu87 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
sailgclass wrote:They were extremely rude to me on the phone today telling me to deposit elsewhere and that I shouldn't wait around for unc and miss out on another opportunity. She was confused when I asked of that meant I wasn't going to get in. She also told me they had caller id and I shouldn't call back for two weeks.

Wow. This really is sounding more and more like a bad breakup.

Dear god. This is ridiculous.

Seconded .. WHAT?! :shock: What did you say? I probably would have started screaming.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:36 am

Looks like the instate waitlist went out last night...I am going to assume the out-of-stater list will be going out soon...

idylls

Postby idylls » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:46 am

I still haven't heard anything... They've forgotten about me.

Sias

Postby Sias » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:54 am

I got the wait list email at 10:20. Out-of-state

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:01 am

Sias wrote:I got the wait list email at 10:20. Out-of-state

So sorry Sias! Do you mind sharing your numbers? I am just trying to get a handle on this situation (its the control freak side of me, if I am not in control I try to get as much information as possible).

edit: also when you went complete? sorry to be so nosy, but I didn't go complete until January 19th so maybe the waves work that way.

makingasnack

Postby makingasnack » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 am

I think everyone in this thread should expect an e-mail today that reads something like this:

"Congratulations! You have been admitted to UNC Law!"

Then 5 minutes later, another e-mail would read...

"April Fool's. You will get your decision sometime in May."

I'm just saying. I want everyone to be prepared when it happens.

Sias

Postby Sias » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 am

insertclevernamehere wrote:

So sorry Sias! Do you mind sharing your numbers? I am just trying to get a handle on this situation (its the control freak side of me, if I am not in control I try to get as much information as possible).

edit: also when you went complete? sorry to be so nosy, but I didn't go complete until January 19th so maybe the waves work that way.

Sure, though I'm a terrible index because I have some really great softs. Complete in early March (don't hate me), 162/3

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:27 am

Sias wrote:
insertclevernamehere wrote:

Sure, though I'm a terrible index because I have some really great softs. Complete in early March (don't hate me), 162/3

Haha, I don't hate you! It is good to know :) I have a theory that UNC looks at all of our applications and what they are really doing is some sort of modified rolling admissions process that they aren't telling us about. You seem to be another data point towards this conclusion.

I am sure that fast turn-around time means something good for you, hopefully you jump off the waitlist after the first seat deposit!

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:44 am

I didn't see any acceptances on LSN past March last year unless it was after a waitlist. Why do people think there will be more acceptances?
Last edited by Emma1 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:46 am

Emma1 wrote:I didn't see any acceptances on LSN past March last year unless it was after a waitlist. Why do people think their will be more acceptances?

Well, apparently they are "behind."

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:53 am

I am not trying to be negative but it doesn't look like many of the rejections have come out yet.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:57 am

Emma1 wrote:I am not trying to be negative but it doesn't look like many of the rejections have come out yet.

Definitely agree, but I have just given up trying to predict what UNC will do.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:58 am

Emma1 wrote:I am not trying to be negative but it doesn't look like many of the rejections have come out yet.

TBF, it doesn't look like much of anything has come out yet. UNC either has a disproportionately low number of LSN applicants, applicants they do have aren't posting decisions, OR UNC is just the slowest school in the history of schools to render decisions. People have been bitching about Cornell this cycle - look at their graph vs. UNC's, they've rendered at least 3x as many decisions.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:11 am

I think there are a low number of LSN applicants for UNC ( after looking at previous years). I would also love to see a breakdown of instate and OOS decisions!

Scribbly

Postby Scribbly » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm OOS and haven't heard anything yet. Based on my previous record I kind of expect to get waitlisted.

Oh well, American gave me some money, so next year in D.C.

redbutton

Postby redbutton » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:28 pm

missvik218 wrote:

TBF, it doesn't look like much of anything has come out yet. UNC either has a disproportionately low number of LSN applicants, applicants they do have aren't posting decisions, OR UNC is just the slowest school in the history of schools to render decisions. People have been bitching about Princeton Law this cycle - look at their graph vs. UNC's, they've rendered at least 3x as many decisions.

What is Princeton Law!?!?! Am I missing something!?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:38 pm

redbutton wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

TBF, it doesn't look like much of anything has come out yet. UNC either has a disproportionately low number of LSN applicants, applicants they do have aren't posting decisions, OR UNC is just the slowest school in the history of schools to render decisions. People have been bitching about Princeton Law this cycle - look at their graph vs. UNC's, they've rendered at least 3x as many decisions.

What is Princeton Law!?!?! Am I missing something!?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112995

TargusTargus

Postby TargusTargus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:07 pm

--
Last edited by TargusTargus on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:14 pm

I am sorry to hear that Targus. How are your softs? We have identical numbers and I got in as an out of state, I would think the bar would be higher for me.

newyorklaw23

Postby newyorklaw23 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:21 pm

UNC seems to be banking on the fact that they are top dog in the NC Law community. But if they keep up this behavior they could find themselves overtaken by Wake Forest in the long run. Particularly if Wake's dean/administration is ambitious, generous with aid, and goes to great lengths to contrast their admissions process with UNC's.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 pm

newyorklaw23 wrote:UNC seems to be banking on the fact that they are top dog in the NC Law community. But if they keep up this behavior they could find themselves overtaken by Wake Forest in the long run. Particularly if Wake's dean/administration is ambitious, generous with aid, and goes to great lengths to contrast their admissions process with UNC's.

When the app deadlines passed, I started to regret not applying to Wake. Now I really regret it, maybe more than not applying to F.ordham.

If their admissions staff is this way, what's their career services office going to be like? What are the professors going to be like? I don't want to smear an entire school because of the failures of some folks in an admissions office; but it's fair to wonder if this is isolated unfriendliness/poor professionalism, or if it's indeed characteristic of a school's personality.

TargusTargus

Postby TargusTargus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Matteliszt wrote:I am sorry to hear that Targus. How are your softs? We have identical numbers and I got in as an out of state, I would think the bar would be higher for me.

President of a student organization and a handful of very solid public policy/legal internships. Nothing mind-blowing, to be sure, but I really thought I'd get some kind of decision by this point. Oh well.
Last edited by TargusTargus on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:06 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
newyorklaw23 wrote:UNC seems to be banking on the fact that they are top dog in the NC Law community. But if they keep up this behavior they could find themselves overtaken by Wake Forest in the long run. Particularly if Wake's dean/administration is ambitious, generous with aid, and goes to great lengths to contrast their admissions process with UNC's.

When the app deadlines passed, I started to regret not applying to Wake. Now I really regret it, maybe more than not applying to F.ordham.

If their admissions staff is this way, what's their career services office going to be like? What are the professors going to be like? I don't want to smear an entire school because of the failures of some folks in an admissions office; but it's fair to wonder if this is isolated unfriendliness/poor professionalism, or if it's indeed characteristic of a school's personality.

+1 but only on april fools

ha! +3.14
Me too.

idylls

Postby idylls » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Below is the email I received from the director of admissions....

"Thank you for your continued interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill.

Your application is currently with the admissions committee, thus it is still awaiting a decision. It is not unusual for an application to await a decision for several months. I'm sure you can imagine the hundreds of applications and supporting documents we are receiving each week. Unfortunately, this is a process that often requires much patience. Our latest correspondences were two emails sent in January and February 2010 regarding your application's receipt and completion. We are hoping to roll a majority of our decisions out throughout the entire month of April with all decisions to candidates on or before May 1st.

If you are holding acceptances and scholarship offers from other law schools, I will highly advise you to consider placing a deposit down. I would hate for you to miss out on an opportunity that another law school has granted you. It is clearly communicated on our web site that all applicants will have a decision regarding their candidacy on or before May 1st.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have additional inquires please feel free to directly contact me with questions."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”