University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ihopeihope

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby ihopeihope » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:56 pm

missvik218 wrote:
traehekat wrote:Safe for another day...

Same ... Ugh though!

same and +1

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:58 pm

Its the end of March and I fear that if we don't get a wave of acceptances today or tomorrow, none of us will be safe.

ihopeihope

Postby ihopeihope » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:48 pm

Has anyone been brave enough to call admissions this week? Just searching for some bit of hope that there will be one last wave of admissions.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:34 pm

Safe but honestly sad...this feels like the end of the road.

traceface

Postby traceface » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:39 pm

Well, a little thing to keep your chin up...

I was talking to my friend who's a 2L at Carolina, and she didn't hear until mid-April (she had been offered a full scholly to Wake Forest, so it's not like she was some last-minute choice). She said that from what she knows, they send notice to all the out-of-staters before the in-staters. She also said some of her classmates didn't hear until mid-May. Not very helpful regarding putting down April deposits, but it's something to hope for.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:52 pm

I have to say, the longer I am forced to wait, the less excited I am by UNC. I was really excited with the school to begin with but this whole process has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I have a seat deposit due the 15th and if I hear nothing from UNC by the 10th, I'm afraid I'm probably out.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:56 pm

I'm getting less excited. Not that I wouldn't love to attend Carolina, I just feel that if they wanted to admit me, they would have already. I guess I'm just less optimistic.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:58 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I'm getting less excited. Not that I wouldn't love to attend Carolina, I just feel that if they wanted to admit me, they would have already. I guess I'm just less optimistic.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. They could easily buy my affection back with a scholarship I just feel like they're adding insult to injury by waiting so long to get back to people especially those they'll likely reject.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:02 pm

I am officially moving forward as if I won't get in. I'm between two other schools and I'll probably send in a deposit by 4/13. I suppose I'm lucky to be in a position where I could lose a deposit if I got into UNC and already had my money elsewhere. Not that it would be easy but I'll quit the complaining. I hope those who are in a tougher position hear soon!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:32 pm

Thought about making a new thread for this question, but I'll just put it here...

How has your opinion of UNC Law changed (if at all) throughout the admissions process? It seems a lot of people (well, mostly just people still waiting) began very excited about UNC, but the love affair has seemed to have died off and everyone just seems kind of bitter.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:38 pm

traehekat wrote:Thought about making a new thread for this question, but I'll just put it here...

How has your opinion of UNC Law changed (if at all) throughout the admissions process? It seems a lot of people (well, mostly just people still waiting) began very excited about UNC, but the love affair has seemed to have died off and everyone just seems kind of bitter.

It started off at the beginning of my cycle as a school that I would most likely get into, my LSAT being at median and my GPA being above their 75th, and that I would love to go to.

Now I feel like I am in abusive relationship, I love them more and I am desperate to get in...but I don't feel good enough :( I should probably get out...

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm

ihopeihope wrote:Has anyone been brave enough to call admissions this week? Just searching for some bit of hope that there will be one last wave of admissions.

I don't think it was necessarily brave, but I did call them this week. I asked when I should expect to hear a decision if my application has been complete for weeks now, and the guy changed what I had been told before: he says now they expect to have decisions out by the end of April, instead of the end of March. I was so hopeful of hearing something this week, but I fear it may have all been for naught. Maybe I'm wrong.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:50 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
ihopeihope wrote:Has anyone been brave enough to call admissions this week? Just searching for some bit of hope that there will be one last wave of admissions.

I don't think it was necessarily brave, but I did call them this week. I asked when I should expect to hear a decision if my application has been complete for weeks now, and the guy changed what I had been told before: he says now they expect to have decisions out by the end of April, instead of the end of March. I was so hopeful of hearing something this week, but I fear it may have all been for naught. Maybe I'm wrong.

The end of April? Are you kidding me?

--ImageRemoved--

Several hours later, the UNC admissions office still cannot figure out how to pull traehekat's application up on the screen. Will he ever receive a decision?

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:53 pm

traehekat wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Several hours later, the UNC admissions office still cannot figure out how to pull traehekat's application up on the screen. Will he ever receive a decision?

Regrettably, I am not kidding you...believe me, I wish I was. I almost puked when he told me "well now, since we're behind, we expect to send out decisions out by the end of April now, instead of March."

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:17 pm

traehekat wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Regrettably, I am not kidding you...believe me, I wish I was. I almost puked when he told me "well now, since we're behind, we expect to send out decisions out by the end of April now, instead of March."

Maybe they wouldn't be having this problem if they didn't wait until January to start reviewing applications? Just a thought. -1 for you, UNC.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:07 pm

mytwocents wrote:Maybe they wouldn't be having this problem if they didn't wait until January to start reviewing applications? Just a thought. -1 for you, UNC.

UConn claimed the same thing, and yet they managed to get me a response in a timely manner. And due to this timeliness that is the institution I will probably be going to, even though at the beginning of my cycle I had a kind of A.B.B. (remember that, anyone but bush?) feeling towards them.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:37 pm

traehekat wrote:Thought about making a new thread for this question, but I'll just put it here...

I was infatuated with UNC for a minute, but I'm nearly at the point where I think we should just be friends. Some others have turned my heads lately with their style.

newyorklaw23

Postby newyorklaw23 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:54 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

I was infatuated with UNC for a minute, but I'm nearly at the point where I think we should just be friends. Some others have turned my heads lately with their style.

I was also very interested but recently just kind of forgot about them. At this point pretty much every other top 30 school has the majority of their decisions and scholarships out, and UNC is just not a good enough school to keep people waiting around until April with zero feedback. But perhaps they're just not concerned with trying to win over people that don't really want to go there, and if this process helps them weed out the more casual applicants then more power to 'em.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:10 pm

newyorklaw23 wrote:I was also very interested but recently just kind of forgot about them. At this point pretty much every other top 30 school has the majority of their decisions and scholarships out, and UNC is just not a good enough school to keep people waiting around until April with zero feedback.

This.

newyorklaw23 wrote:But perhaps they're just not concerned with trying to win over people that don't really want to go there, and if this process helps them weed out the more casual applicants then more power to 'em.

For a school of UNC's rank, building chemistry and being proactive (and consistent) in communication with applicants is a better admissions strategy, long-term, than playing games with rules like, "prove how much you like us by waiting through April to see if you've even been waitlisted." That's enough to test the patience of even the most interested candidate. Maybe it's good for Wake Forest if UNC does that, but I can't see how it benefits UNC.

edit for spellllinggg
Last edited by FunkyJD on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:12 pm

I am still in love with UNC despite the slower admissions process and having withdrawn from WF today I now know for sure it is where I am attending this fall.

Good luck to those still waiting.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:12 pm

newyorklaw23 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

I was also very interested but recently just kind of forgot about them. At this point pretty much every other top 30 school has the majority of their decisions and scholarships out, and UNC is just not a good enough school to keep people waiting around until April with zero feedback. But perhaps they're just not concerned with trying to win over people that don't really want to go there, and if this process helps them weed out the more casual applicants then more power to 'em.

I've wondered this too about UNC. Not to knock anyone here's desire to attend UNC, but maybe they really only want people who really ONLY want to go there? UNC is kinda pompous...I could see them pulling some shit like that.

brittainyb

Postby brittainyb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:15 pm

i called several weeks ago (i've been complete since early december) to ask whether i'd hear by april 1. they said that i should be in review soon and advised me to email the dean. i sent a letter and an email, asking whether i could get a decision prior to april 1. this morning i called again. they said that they still haven't looked at my file yet and don't know when they will: "sometime before may 1."

idylls

Postby idylls » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:57 pm

I've been "in review" for weeks. I'm convinced someone on the committee checked out my application and promptly lost it.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:30 pm

Don't give up hope on UNC yet guys!

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:39 pm

At this point, it is my belief that UNC has either lost my application altogether or decided to burn it for warmth sometime in January.
"Wilson, they may never find us." (thunder)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”