University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Favor2010

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby Favor2010 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm

SweeneyTodd wrote:Schrute Farms Beets: We have similar backgrounds (graduate school & work experience) and both waitlisted at Duke. Are you riding the waitlist or did you withdraw?

I see LSATfromNC is debating between UNC and Wake and some other acceptances but is anyone here riding a waitlist?

I was waitlisted at Duke too. I am riding the waitlist for now. Recently, I have been considering withdrawing. The price tag is pretty high, and I assume that waitlisted admits don't get very much scholarship funds. I am in-state and plan to remain in the area. So the cost of UNC and its reputation in NC make it very appealing.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:22 pm

webbylu87 wrote:To be honest, I'm at the point where I might rule them out for just being an uncooperative pain in the ass.

I feel that UNC is playing hard to get. Makes me like the place more, to be hoenst

Schrute Farms Beets

Postby Schrute Farms Beets » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Favor2010 wrote:
SweeneyTodd wrote:Schrute Farms Beets: We have similar backgrounds (graduate school & work experience) and both waitlisted at Duke. Are you riding the waitlist or did you withdraw?

I see LSATfromNC is debating between UNC and Wake and some other acceptances but is anyone here riding a waitlist?

I was waitlisted at Duke too. I am riding the waitlist for now. Recently, I have been considering withdrawing. The price tag is pretty high, and I assume that waitlisted admits don't get very much scholarship funds. I am in-state and plan to remain in the area. So the cost of UNC and its reputation in NC make it very appealing.

My response to your question is pretty much the same as Favor2010. I've heard that people can get admitted from the Duke waitlist even as late as the day before classes start and you pretty much need to keep calling and sending LOCIs. My only issue is cost and I don't think I will be offered much scholarship money which I need. Besides, UNC allows law students to take courses in other graduate departments (with special permission outside of dual degree programs) and I have an interest in several courses (not available at Duke).

TarheelHopeful

Postby TarheelHopeful » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:59 pm

So I am really trying to be patient - I understand it takes time to go through thousands of applications. But really, I applied to 15 schools and Carolina is literally the last one I am waiting on. I was just waitlisted at Emory today. Come on UNC!!!!!!!

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Schrute Farms Beets wrote:
mytwocents wrote:
What is WPI? If you attended undergrad in state I'm going to guess NC State :D or possibly NC A&T?

Yessssss. More NC State kids at UNC! I love it.

I've already decided that when I wear UNC Law anything, I will always wear a red NCSU shirt underneath :D

I bought my first Carolina shirt the other day (it was on sale, so don't judge me..lol), and I felt soooo DIRTY. Baby blue just isn't a good look for me! Also, I fully intend to wear something Wolfpack-related to school anytime UNC and NCSU play each other. I'm sure no one will care, it just makes me feel better :P

TarheelHopeful

Postby TarheelHopeful » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:21 pm

I bought my first Carolina shirt the other day (it was on sale, so don't judge me..lol), and I felt soooo DIRTY. Baby blue just isn't a good look for me! Also, I fully intend to wear something Wolfpack-related to school anytime UNC and NCSU play each other. I'm sure no one will care, it just makes me feel better :P

I go to UNC and my boyfriend goes to State. I cringe at the thought of even wearing one of his disgusting red and white shirts to work out in, lol.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:38 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:

I go to UNC and my boyfriend goes to State. I cringe at the thought of even wearing one of his disgusting red and white shirts to work out in, lol.

Hey, at least we can both agree that Duke blows, right? I'm fine with meeting in the middle!

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Spoke with an admissions official today...should know sometime around April 1...fine by me; all the important decisions dont have to start being made until April 10-13

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:29 pm

dp73816 wrote:Spoke with an admissions official today...should know sometime around April 1...fine by me; all the important decisions dont have to start being made until April 10-13

My bet is the last round of admits will be on Friday. What'd you ask? Did you ask them to pull your file and get some info?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 am

MarkRenton wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:To be honest, I'm at the point where I might rule them out for just being an uncooperative pain in the ass.

I feel that UNC is playing hard to get. Makes me like the place more, to be hoenst

Hahaha, I feel the same way except I feel like UNC is the Queen Bee of a high school clique who thinks she runs the show ... only problem is she's a huge bitch and thinks she's a lot hotter than she really is. Her two sidekicks on the other hand (Wake/UGA) are just as hot if not hotter and actually really nice decent human beings who treat people with respect and will therefore overcome.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 am

missvik218 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

Hahaha, I feel the same way except I feel like UNC is the Queen Bee of a high school clique who thinks she runs the show ... only problem is she's a huge bitch and thinks she's a lot hotter than she really is. Her two sidekicks on the other hand (Wake/UGA) are just as hot if not hotter and actually really nice decent human beings who treat people with respect and will therefore overcome.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Such a great movie. And UNC has no idea that I've been secretly feeding them Kaltene bars so no one will ever want to go there and I can go instead.

So out of curiosity, why does everyone think that there's only one round of admits left?

BlueHeel

Postby BlueHeel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:57 am

Mostly because of last years dates. I agree with above poster that I think it will definitely come this Friday and Monday.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:41 am

So now that the wait has driven me bonkers, I was looking at the law school probability calculator and I am super confused - I am a 162/3.8 (at 50%, above 75%) and it seems that most people with my stats get rejected.

To me (at least) it seems that somebody with my numbers must be getting in in order to create a median, this is making me feel hopeless. Any insight?

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:42 am

missvik218 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

Anyone who makes a Mean Girls reference is cool in my book. LOVE that movie. Also, the analogy totally works.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:46 am

insertclevernamehere wrote:So now that the wait has driven me bonkers, I was looking at the law school probability calculator and I am super confused - I am a 162/3.8 (at 50%, above 75%) and it seems that most people with my stats get rejected.

To me (at least) it seems that somebody with my numbers must be getting in in order to create a median, this is making me feel hopeless. Any insight?

I guess it's UNC's "holistic" approach? I have no clue. I don't have any WE, only decent softs and numbers very similar to yours and I got admitted in February. I applied suuuper early though, would that make a difference?

Before I applied, I used LSN with my numbers (163/3.74) and it put me at sttrong admit (73% I think)....so I just think UNC is really weird. Also, I still think you have a solid chance of getting in, regardless of what LSN says. Are you IS or OOS?

eta: err...meant LSP, oops.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:04 am

mytwocents wrote:
insertclevernamehere wrote:So now that the wait has driven me bonkers, I was looking at the law school probability calculator and I am super confused - I am a 162/3.8 (at 50%, above 75%) and it seems that most people with my stats get rejected.

I guess it's UNC's "holistic" approach? I have no clue. I don't have any WE, only decent softs and numbers very similar to yours and I got admitted in February. I applied suuuper early though, would that make a difference?

Before I applied, I used LSN with my numbers (163/3.74) and it put me at sttrong admit (73% I think)....so I just think UNC is really weird. Also, I still think you have a solid chance of getting in, regardless of what LSN says. Are you IS or OOS?

eta: err...meant LSP, oops.

First of all - my $.02 cents I love your 'tar. It makes me giggle everytime.

I just went on LSP to double check my numbers, and it says 74% chance of admit. Which makes more sense to me. However, it can't match (to my brain) the probability calculator which links you to LSN accounts with actual people who have been rejected/waitlisted (I know people lie on LSN, though I don't understand the motivation). It has made me feel uneasy, and I wish I had never looked!

I do have some WE, I graduated in '08 and have been working at a great state-based policy organization, but I am OOS and I didn't get my UNC application in until January.

I think it is time for me to stop obsessing, and to get back to work. UNC is my last chance to get out of this podunk state (I have been waitlisted at the other schools I could realistically afford) and see a little more of the country. However I did get a great offer from my state school so I should stop being so whiny.

/end rambling. Good luck guys! I hope we hear soon to put me out of my self-induced misery.

EmilyC.

Postby EmilyC. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:04 am

I got an email yesterday saying they never received the Residency Statement or Signature Page which I mailed together....just as first deposits are coming due for the schools I've been accepted to.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 pm

EmilyC. wrote:I got an email yesterday saying they never received the Residency Statement or Signature Page which I mailed together....just as first deposits are coming due for the schools I've been accepted to.

Ouch. A few weeks ago, I found out that they never got my Residency form, so I drove over to Chapel Hill to make sure that they got it. Still took 3 days for them to process it and evaluate my residency, even though I've been living in NC for the last 24 years.

EmilyC.

Postby EmilyC. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:03 pm

That was smart! I specifically remember the guy at the post office asking if I wanted delivery confirmation and I only had sixty cents.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:10 pm

It helps that I live 25-30 minutes away.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 pm

I submitted my UNC application along with all my others in OCTOBER and have long since heard from every other school. It is now the end of MARCH and they told me I hadn't even gone under review yet (and yes I am complete there). UNC is my alma mater and was probably my top choice at the start of my cycle but this is appalling. It's been almost six months and they haven't even bothered to look at it yet. I love this school but that is NOT how you attract students of any kind and has severely dulled the law school in my eyes.

Hodgy

Postby Hodgy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:40 pm

tarheel87 wrote:I submitted my UNC application along with all my others in OCTOBER and have long since heard from every other school. It is now the end of MARCH and they told me I hadn't even gone under review yet (and yes I am complete there). UNC is my alma mater and was probably my top choice at the start of my cycle but this is appalling. It's been almost six months and they haven't even bothered to look at it yet. I love this school but that is NOT how you attract students of any kind and has severely dulled the law school in my eyes.

Very similar process for me, although I attended an out of state undergrad. I just cant believe its been 5 months and they cant get to all of the applications in that timeframe when there are schools with much larger application volumes who can do this.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Hodgy wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:I submitted my UNC application along with all my others in OCTOBER and have long since heard from every other school. It is now the end of MARCH and they told me I hadn't even gone under review yet (and yes I am complete there). UNC is my alma mater and was probably my top choice at the start of my cycle but this is appalling. It's been almost six months and they haven't even bothered to look at it yet. I love this school but that is NOT how you attract students of any kind and has severely dulled the law school in my eyes.

Very similar process for me, although I attended an out of state undergrad. I just cant believe its been 5 months and they cant get to all of the applications in that timeframe when there are schools with much larger application volumes who can do this.

i totally agree. as i've said before, this angers me. it seems very inconsiderate and it's really turned me off of UNC.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:51 pm

I think everyone's getting a bit too annoyed. People always complain that schools simply use a little LSAT/GPA matrix and ignore personal statements, softs, etc. Well, the schools that do try a greater holistic approach are then criticized for not speeding up the process like "other schools". Basically, UNC states that they don't have a status checker and decisions will be made by May 1st. Thus, that is their obligation. If UNC wants to carefully consider the construction of their class and the unique qualities of each candidate, this will obviously take a while. We can assume that this intent is genuine since they require two 4-page essay plus provide the option of two additional 2-page essays. With LOR's and such - this takes a lot of time - especially when considering the file in relationship to the entire application pool. So as long as they render a decision before the promised date, there is nothing to get angry about. Sure I'd love an immediate decision, but they're being far from inconsiderate. Does anyone really believe that they're taking late lunches and going home early opposed to working diligently?

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm

See its stories like these that make me question if the last round of acceptance can be so soon. If people haven't gone under review yet how can they possibly be so close to done with the acceptances?

In case you haven't noticed, I'm doing everything I can to convince myself that if I do not hear with the next round, all is not lost.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”