University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FunkyJD

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:38 pm

Interesting ... what did you all think of the facilities, out of curiosity ... especially the classrooms?

I'm not going to pick for or against a school on basis of facilities alone ... $$$ is much more important ... but I'm curious.

Also found your comments re: emphasis on PI to be interesting, considering that my overwhelming interest is corporate/transactional & regulatory law. Don't know what to make of it though, except I wonder how well the degree travels throughout the South Atlantic/Mid-Atlantic if I want to do something other than PI.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:58 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Interesting ... what did you all think of the facilities, out of curiosity ... especially the classrooms?

I'm not going to pick for or against a school on basis of facilities alone ... $$$ is much more important ... but I'm curious.

Also found your comments re: emphasis on PI to be interesting, considering that my overwhelming interest is corporate/transactional & regulatory law. Don't know what to make of it though, except I wonder how well the degree travels throughout the South Atlantic/Mid-Atlantic if I want to do something other than PI.

I think the facilities are between decent and good. It's good because I like the location of the law school on the campus and the surrounding area. But the actual law school... It's pretty decent. Seen much worse - and better. There's nothing really good about it, but nothing really wrong about it either. Decent amount of natural light. The facilities don't detract from the school, but they don't enhance either if that makes sense.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:16 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Interesting ... what did you all think of the facilities, out of curiosity ... especially the classrooms?

I think the facilities are between decent and good. It's good because I like the location of the law school on the campus and the surrounding area. But the actual law school... It's pretty decent. Seen much worse - and better. There's nothing really good about it, but nothing really wrong about it either. Decent amount of natural light. The facilities don't detract from the school, but they don't enhance either if that makes sense.

+1, everything appeared in good condition and extremely clean just nothing fancy, personally I don't care so long as shit works. But they do plan on building a new school when ever money is available, probably another reason to raise our tuition.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

+1, everything appeared in good condition and extremely clean just nothing fancy, personally I don't care so long as shit works. But they do plan on building a new school when ever money is available, probably another reason to raise our tuition.

I generally agree. If the law school is dark and the classrooms are uncomfortable, I wonder how I'd spend three years - every day- there. UNC's building has no deal breakers. But I have to admit, I'm quicker to fall in love with a law school when the building is top notch. I put more priority on the building than most people; that's why I've very interested in what the new law building will be like and when it will be up and running.

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:19 pm

still painfully waiting on Carolina...can't discern my relative chances for admission.

161/3.1

In-state, alum of UNC, attended high school in CH, interned for the mayor of CH following graduation.

Thoughts?

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:29 pm

liquidsword wrote:still painfully waiting on Carolina...can't discern my relative chances for admission.

161/3.1

In-state, alum of UNC, attended high school in CH, interned for the mayor of CH following graduation.

Thoughts?

my guess? waitlist

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:35 pm

applied in november...still waiting, and thinking good thoughts....

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:58 pm

gymboree wrote:
liquidsword wrote:still painfully waiting on Carolina...can't discern my relative chances for admission.

161/3.1

Thoughts?

my guess? waitlist

god, i hope not. but, it's very possible. still holding my breath...

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:08 pm

gymboree wrote:

161/3.1

Thoughts?

my guess? waitlist

I agree, because A .it seems like they've been waitlisting tonnnssss of people, especially recently and B. your LSAT is solid, but UNC really, really likes high GPAs.

eta: ok, "tons" is an exaggeration. LSN certainly doesn't show too many waitlists. But many people on this board (with numbers similar to yours) have been waitlisted in the last few weeks.

meggers88

Postby meggers88 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:33 pm

mytwocents wrote:
gymboree wrote:

161/3.1

Thoughts?

my guess? waitlist

I agree, because A .it seems like they've been waitlisting tonnnssss of people, especially recently and B. your LSAT is solid, but UNC really, really likes high GPAs.

eta: ok, "tons" is an exaggeration. LSN certainly doesn't show too many waitlists. But many people on this board (with numbers similar to yours) have been waitlisted in the last few weeks.

yeah not sure of my chances either. i have a feeling its waitlist...i feel like low 160 LSAT scores have to go along with high GPA's this cycle to get acceptances. 160/3.58, so i have a moderately high GPA but my LSAT score is..meh. i'm from california and i've worked for a law firm for 3 years, plus an internship with a state senator. thoughts??

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:13 pm

meggers88 wrote:
mytwocents wrote:
gymboree wrote:

161/3.1

Thoughts?

my guess? waitlist

yeah not sure of my chances either. i have a feeling its waitlist...i feel like low 160 LSAT scores have to go along with high GPA's this cycle to get acceptances. 160/3.58, so i have a moderately high GPA but my LSAT score is..meh. i'm from california and i've worked for a law firm for 3 years, plus an internship with a state senator. thoughts??

I'd trade my single-point LSAT advantage for your GPA. Good luck to you.

sailgclass

Postby sailgclass » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 pm

Ok I'm sitting here wondering if I even have a chance with all the talk of how important the gpa is.

175, and 2.82. Mechanical Engineering

In state, and I graduated from the only high school associated with the UNC system.

I'm not a likely wait list am I?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:02 am

Science and Math?
And I'll go out on a limb and say that you went to WPI for UG.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 am

sailgclass wrote:Ok I'm sitting here wondering if I even have a chance with all the talk of how important the gpa is.

In state, and I graduated from the only high school associated with the UNC system.

I'd say it's slightly questionable, but engineering majors tend to get favorable treatment. First of all, engineering is a much more difficult major than poli-sci or another humanities major, which tends to be the focus for most law school candidates (definitely not all, but most). Second, engineering majors tend to go into patent law, which is kind of unique.

Your LSAT score is amazing. I think you have a decent shot but not necessarily a sure thing. Good luck!

Schrute Farms Beets

Postby Schrute Farms Beets » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:49 am

Hi everyone!

New to the board. While studying for the LSAT I would read through threads and finally decided to create a profile to join the UNC discussion since that is where I will be attending next year. I'm a little paranoid so I don't plan on putting my stats up until after they release scholarship information (plus I have a thing about too much info about myself online anyway). I was accepted 3/5. I'm in state, Duke was my first choice but also a reach -- I was waitlisted there last month. I guess I am considered a non-traditional student as I attended graduate school immediately after undergrad, and have been working for two years.

sailgclass wrote:Ok I'm sitting here wondering if I even have a chance with all the talk of how important the gpa is.

I'm not going to act like I have a ton of factual information relating to UNC admissions because I don't -- but in the spirit of giving opinions and suggestions on TLS :D I would think you have a good shot. I'm only basing this opinion on the experiences of my friends. I will say that I attended the university in NC with the largest undergraduate engineering program so it's common for non-engineering students to graduate from there with at least a few friends who are engineers. A few of my engineering friends have since earned their JDs from some of the top law schools (including T10) and each of them were serious reverse splitters like you (low gpa -- really high lsat). To make up for their low gpa they worked really hard on their admission essays to play up their strengths (i.e. analytical thinking). So yeah, I think you have a shot.

Bedsole wrote:Science and Math?
And I'll go out on a limb and say that you went to WPI for UG.

What is WPI? If you attended undergrad in state I'm going to guess NC State :D or possibly NC A&T?

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:55 am

What is WPI? If you attended undergrad in state I'm going to guess NC State :D or possibly NC A&T?

Yessssss. More NC State kids at UNC! I love it.

Schrute Farms Beets

Postby Schrute Farms Beets » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:21 am

mytwocents wrote:

Yessssss. More NC State kids at UNC! I love it.

I've already decided that when I wear UNC Law anything, I will always wear a red NCSU shirt underneath :D

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:10 am

UGH! What is hold up UNC?!?! They're officially the LAST school I will hear from, I wish they'd just get it over with. :evil:

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:30 am

WPI is a school, and it turns out I know sailgclass. So I pegged what UG school he went to.

let0927

Postby let0927 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:40 am

missvik218 wrote:UGH! What is hold up UNC?!?! They're officially the LAST school I will hear from, I wish they'd just get it over with. :evil:

I agree with you. Why are they taking so long? Are they doing this on purpose to make us spend more money than we have to? They make me want to curse and everyday that passes, I am closer to deciding on Campbell.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:41 am

To be honest, I'm at the point where I might rule them out for just being an uncooperative pain in the ass.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:22 pm

A lot of schools haven't finished making decisions yet.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Matteliszt wrote:A lot of schools haven't finished making decisions yet.

True. Very true. But UNC seems to be particularly uncooperative. I'm having a jaded day though and I'm sure tomorrow I'll feel the opposite.

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Schrute Farms Beets: We have similar backgrounds (graduate school & work experience) and both waitlisted at Duke. Are you riding the waitlist or did you withdraw?

I see LSATfromNC is debating between UNC and Wake and some other acceptances but is anyone here riding a waitlist?

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:40 pm

SweeneyTodd wrote:Schrute Farms Beets: We have similar backgrounds (graduate school & work experience) and both waitlisted at Duke. Are you riding the waitlist or did you withdraw?

I see LSATfromNC is debating between UNC and Wake and some other acceptances but is anyone here riding a waitlist?

What's good, I'm on unc's waitlist.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”