University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SweeneyTodd
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby SweeneyTodd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:46 am

dp73816 wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:Places to avoid:
anywhere in, on, or near franklin street.

places to try:
anywhere in, on, or near raleigh

(i like the law school a lot, but have a general dislike for all things tarheel otherwise)


GET OFF MY PLANE

Franklin Street is fantastic.



wayyyy too many frat types...the amount of visors and sperry's is overpowering



wayyyy too many frat types...the amount of visors and sperry's and croakies is overpowering

Fixed. Cannot forget about the croakies--

BlueHeel
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby BlueHeel » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 am

bitlrc wrote:here's hoping for a nice round of acceptances today


I'm with you on that, but my feeling is that last round won't come until next Friday.

idylls
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby idylls » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:21 am

I'm hoping for a round today. I don't think my heart can last another week. lol

As for Chapel Hill & Franklin Street, I adore that place. Perhaps my sentiments from undergrad still linger. But the great thing about the Triangle is that you can readily go to Raleigh or Durham for some fantastic places (Big Easy anyone?) when you're a little Hill'd out. The options are limitless.

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:24 am

idylls wrote:I'm hoping for a round today. I don't think my heart can last another week. lol

As for Chapel Hill & Franklin Street, I adore that place. Perhaps my sentiments from undergrad still linger. But the great thing about the Triangle is that you can readily go to Raleigh or Durham for some fantastic places (Big Easy anyone?) when you're a little Hill'd out. The options are limitless.


After reading this, I feel more confident that I am in love with the Triangle area. UNC, please accept me!

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dp73816 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 am

jerzgrl630 wrote:
idylls wrote:I'm hoping for a round today. I don't think my heart can last another week. lol

As for Chapel Hill & Franklin Street, I adore that place. Perhaps my sentiments from undergrad still linger. But the great thing about the Triangle is that you can readily go to Raleigh or Durham for some fantastic places (Big Easy anyone?) when you're a little Hill'd out. The options are limitless.


After reading this, I feel more confident that I am in love with the Triangle area. UNC, please accept me!


Ya its a great area - I grew up right outside of Raleigh. That part of NC is great, a good mix of all types.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby dp73816 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 am

SweeneyTodd wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:Places to avoid:
anywhere in, on, or near franklin street.

places to try:
anywhere in, on, or near raleigh

(i like the law school a lot, but have a general dislike for all things tarheel otherwise)


GET OFF MY PLANE

Franklin Street is fantastic.



wayyyy too many frat types...the amount of visors and sperry's is overpowering



wayyyy too many frat types...the amount of visors and sperry's and croakies is overpowering

Fixed. Cannot forget about the croakies--


And hairgel, and striped polo shirts, and twill pants with lobster print, and bowties, and the list goes on and on...

fngrscrossed
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby fngrscrossed » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions! The Carolina Inn is actually booked solid so I dont know if thats an indication of how many people are attending the ASD... I've never even been to North Carolina but UNC has quickly become one of my top choices...you guys have me excited to visit!

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:01 am

fngrscrossed wrote:Thanks for all the great suggestions! The Carolina Inn is actually booked solid so I dont know if thats an indication of how many people are attending the ASD... I've never even been to North Carolina but UNC has quickly become one of my top choices...you guys have me excited to visit!


I visited the school once and stayed at the Homewood Inn in Durham. Very easy drive to the UNC campus (maybe 10 minutes max) and the room was lovely. I'd highly recommend it.

Also, as a random tip to anyone under 25 who needs to rent a car, Enterprise lets you rent at a $20/day surcharge. It's the best rate for anyone under 25, although it's still a pricey expense. I had to do it in Seattle though, and I thought it was worth it.

User avatar
eye
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby eye » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Just came back from ASD. Overall great experience. Met some awesome talented individuals. Scholarships will start coming out within the next two weeks. 25% of the class gets some type of merit award. Will update more later.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:07 pm

eye wrote:Just came back from ASD. Overall great experience. Met some awesome talented individuals. Scholarships will start coming out within the next two weeks. 25% of the class gets some type of merit award. Will update more later.


That's good to know. Thanks for passing it along.

insertclevernamehere
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby insertclevernamehere » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:15 pm

eye wrote:Just came back from ASD. Overall great experience. Met some awesome talented individuals. Scholarships will start coming out within the next two weeks. 25% of the class gets some type of merit award. Will update more later.


Do you think (in the realm of pure speculation) this means the decisions will have to come out before then? Or, and I don't know why I got this horrible sinking feeling, that they are just plain done with the admits?

Edit to say: Eye, I am glad that you had such a great experience! I hope that there is still a chance I will be able to visit in April :)

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:56 pm

eye wrote:Just came back from ASD. Overall great experience. Met some awesome talented individuals. Scholarships will start coming out within the next two weeks. 25% of the class gets some type of merit award. Will update more later.


I also just left the ASD, but I must say I think I was much more impressed with Wake Forest. It seems it's normal at UNC for everything to come late (decisions, financial aid, scholarships, the actual tuition price), parking seems like a pain in the ass (only ASD where I actually had to pay for parking), and they seemed to be more focused on making sure America was more diverse than actually running a law school (I'm all for diversity, but it seemed every direction a speaker would turn somehow led back to helping women and/or minorities, yet all the profs were lilly white).

Also, I swear the kid sitting next to me must have been the legal version of doogie howser, there was no way he was over 18.

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:17 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
eye wrote:Just came back from ASD. Overall great experience. Met some awesome talented individuals. Scholarships will start coming out within the next two weeks. 25% of the class gets some type of merit award. Will update more later.


I also just left the ASD, but I must say I think I was much more impressed with Wake Forest. It seems it's normal at UNC for everything to come late (decisions, financial aid, scholarships, the actual tuition price), parking seems like a pain in the ass (only ASD where I actually had to pay for parking), and they seemed to be more focused on making sure America was more diverse than actually running a law school (I'm all for diversity, but it seemed every direction a speaker would turn somehow led back to helping women and/or minorities, yet all the profs were lilly white).

Also, I swear the kid sitting next to me must have been the legal version of doogie howser, there was no way he was over 18.


I had to pay at Seattle University AND they provided no information in terms of where to park. I had to get there extra early to figure it out on my own. That was the beginning of their end in my mind.

I'm sorry you didn't like UNC so much :(

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:50 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
eye wrote:Just came back from ASD. Overall great experience. Met some awesome talented individuals. Scholarships will start coming out within the next two weeks. 25% of the class gets some type of merit award. Will update more later.


I also just left the ASD, but I must say I think I was much more impressed with Wake Forest. It seems it's normal at UNC for everything to come late (decisions, financial aid, scholarships, the actual tuition price), parking seems like a pain in the ass (only ASD where I actually had to pay for parking), and they seemed to be more focused on making sure America was more diverse than actually running a law school (I'm all for diversity, but it seemed every direction a speaker would turn somehow led back to helping women and/or minorities, yet all the profs were lilly white).

Also, I swear the kid sitting next to me must have been the legal version of doogie howser, there was no way he was over 18.


I had to pay at Seattle University AND they provided no information in terms of where to park. I had to get there extra early to figure it out on my own. That was the beginning of their end in my mind.

I'm sorry you didn't like UNC so much :(


I'm not saying it was terrible, I was just more impressed with the administration at Wake. As for the parking thing at least they did tell us where a parking garage was at. At Wake the parking lot is right next to the school and appeared to be half empty during their ASD. From what I've read of UNC's parking there is a lottery for 1L's to be able to drive (or a hardship permit), if I didn't get one I would have to commute to a park and ride (can't afford a place for a family of 4 in chapel hill) and then wait on a bus to bring me to campus.

If it wasn't for UNC's dominance in NC, and their reputation overall it would be an easy decision. Even Dean States stated (it rhymes :) ) he couldn't compete with the private schools when it came to money. It just appears things run on a shoe string budget.

Interesting thing they announced, their new LRAP will be financed using current students tuition dollars. So my LRAP assistance would go back to pay my loan and interest that I used to finance my LRAP assistance? So I'm financing my future paycheck now? Is that why tuition has increased from from a little over 10k a few years ago to at least 16k (new tuition hasn't been set).

insertclevernamehere
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 am

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby insertclevernamehere » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:02 pm

Cmon UNC, W&M is starting to send out rejects (missed receiving one in the first round, but only a matter of time) and they are the slowest of the slow...let's see some movement :)


(I've had a slow work day and have had way too much time to hang on the boards, it is getting to me and I need the weekend ASAP)

Edit: I was waitlisted 5 min after this post. UNC you have always been my number one choice, and now, honestly, you are my last hope to escape the cold, unfriendly northeast. Please!! :)

idylls
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby idylls » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Well, I guess it's another week of waiting. *sigh*

User avatar
let0927
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby let0927 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:43 pm

idylls wrote:Well, I guess it's another week of waiting. *sigh*


Actually last time alot of people did not find out if they were accepted until later in the day like 9 pm. Does anyone know of any waitlisting going on today from UNC?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby traehekat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:29 pm

let0927 wrote:
idylls wrote:Well, I guess it's another week of waiting. *sigh*


Actually last time alot of people did not find out if they were accepted until later in the day like 9 pm. Does anyone know of any waitlisting going on today from UNC?


Nothing here.

After applying to 20 schools, I am not waiting on 2 - IUB and UNC, both of which would be strong considerations.

manceia
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby manceia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:37 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
eye wrote:Just came back from ASD. Overall great experience. Met some awesome talented individuals. Scholarships will start coming out within the next two weeks. 25% of the class gets some type of merit award. Will update more later.


I also just left the ASD, but I must say I think I was much more impressed with Wake Forest. It seems it's normal at UNC for everything to come late (decisions, financial aid, scholarships, the actual tuition price), parking seems like a pain in the ass (only ASD where I actually had to pay for parking), and they seemed to be more focused on making sure America was more diverse than actually running a law school (I'm all for diversity, but it seemed every direction a speaker would turn somehow led back to helping women and/or minorities, yet all the profs were lilly white).


I attended all of the sessions today and I didn't hear that much at all. Yes, the professors that spoke were white, but I don't think that means they don't have a diverse faculty. In truth, I have no idea which of their profs are minorities (aside from Julius Chambers, of course), but I also don't think they obsess over diversity to an unhealthy extent. The reality is that Carolina is so well regarded in part because of the diversity of it's student body. You also have to keep in mind that so much of what makes UNC a special place is the strong focus it places on civil rights work (Immigration Policy Clinic, Center on Poverty, Center of Civil Rights, etc.). I spent the last 5 years working at the ACLU, and I can tell you that UNC's reputation in the field is top notch. It wouldn't make much sense to put so many resources to developing those programs and not make a strong push to have a diverse student body. (I can understand, however, if you're not interested in becoming a civil rights lawyer or working in a related field how you might find a school like Wake more appealing, because the emphasis at UNC is strong, and it might just not fit your field of study.)

That said, I only recall one or two instances of anyone making references to their diversity initiatives. It certainly didn't dominate the discussion to my recollection.

Addressing the earlier point, does anyone else who attended today recall them saying that 25% of the students would get some sort of scholarships? I took a lot of notes during that discussion, but I don't recall hearing that hard number. I remember them saying they had 8 full ride scholarships to offer, and that there were smaller stipends as well that would be disbursed, but I missed the reference to the 25%. It's possible I just didn't hear it, though. I didn't leave with much hope of getting any financial aid from the school...

LOL @ the Doogie Howser kid. I think I know who you're talking about, because I had a conversation with him at lunch. If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he said he had actually been out of school (UNCA, if I recall) for a few years and had been working in L.A. in securities. Definitely seemed way younger than he probably was (24, 25).

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:05 pm

manceia wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
eye wrote:Just came back from ASD. Overall great experience. Met some awesome talented individuals. Scholarships will start coming out within the next two weeks. 25% of the class gets some type of merit award. Will update more later.


I also just left the ASD, but I must say I think I was much more impressed with Wake Forest. It seems it's normal at UNC for everything to come late (decisions, financial aid, scholarships, the actual tuition price), parking seems like a pain in the ass (only ASD where I actually had to pay for parking), and they seemed to be more focused on making sure America was more diverse than actually running a law school (I'm all for diversity, but it seemed every direction a speaker would turn somehow led back to helping women and/or minorities, yet all the profs were lilly white).


I attended all of the sessions today and I didn't hear that much at all. Yes, the professors that spoke were white, but I don't think that means they don't have a diverse faculty. In truth, I have no idea which of their profs are minorities (aside from Julius Chambers, of course), but I also don't think they obsess over diversity to an unhealthy extent. The reality is that Carolina is so well regarded in part because of the diversity of it's student body. You also have to keep in mind that so much of what makes UNC a special place is the strong focus it places on civil rights work (Immigration Policy Clinic, Center on Poverty, Center of Civil Rights, etc.). I spent the last 5 years working at the ACLU, and I can tell you that UNC's reputation in the field is top notch. It wouldn't make much sense to put so many resources to developing those programs and not make a strong push to have a diverse student body. (I can understand, however, if you're not interested in becoming a civil rights lawyer or working in a related field how you might find a school like Wake more appealing, because the emphasis at UNC is strong, and it might just not fit your field of study.)

That said, I only recall one or two instances of anyone making references to their diversity initiatives. It certainly didn't dominate the discussion to my recollection.

Addressing the earlier point, does anyone else who attended today recall them saying that 25% of the students would get some sort of scholarships? I took a lot of notes during that discussion, but I don't recall hearing that hard number. I remember them saying they had 8 full ride scholarships to offer, and that there were smaller stipends as well that would be disbursed, but I missed the reference to the 25%. It's possible I just didn't hear it, though. I didn't leave with much hope of getting any financial aid from the school...

LOL @ the Doogie Howser kid. I think I know who you're talking about, because I had a conversation with him at lunch. If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he said he had actually been out of school (UNCA, if I recall) for a few years and had been working in L.A. in securities. Definitely seemed way younger than he probably was (24, 25).


Haha I can list many instances of the diversity thing, the lawsuit they are assisting against Charlotte for segregation, representing people against wake county schools who are about to stop busing, suing the employer and getting the disabled guy his job back (I bet you that company makes sure they actually see someone from now on before hiring), banking lady talking about not enough women and minorities on boards, they just acquired two new $10,000 scholarships from xzy corporation -diversity scholarships-.

Dean States did mention approx 25% of students get a merit offer, those with both numbers in the top 10% (lsat, gpa) of the incoming class typically get the 8 Chancellors scholly. What he didn't mention but alluded to by saying soft factors (if LSN is somewhat accurate), is that most of the (at least the ones worth more than 5k a year) scholarships go to URMs. Even one of the students mentioned they throw $500 at everyone in order to claim 99% of students get grants.

manceia
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby manceia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Haha I can list many instances of the diversity thing, the lawsuit they are assisting against Charlotte for segregation, representing people against wake county schools who are about to stop busing, suing the employer and getting the disabled guy his job back (I bet you that company makes sure they actually see someone from now on before hiring), banking lady talking about not enough women and minorities on boards, they just acquired two new $10,000 scholarships from xzy corporation -diversity scholarships-.

Dean States did mention approx 25% of students get a merit offer, those with both numbers in the top 10% (lsat, gpa) of the incoming class typically get the 8 Chancellors scholly. What he didn't mention but alluded to by saying soft factors (if LSN is somewhat accurate), is that most of the (at least the ones worth more than 5k a year) scholarships go to URMs. Even one of the students mentioned they throw $500 at everyone in order to claim 99% of students get grants.


Ah . . . I misread you; I didn't realize you were referencing the work of the legal clinics. I definitely remember them talking about all those things, yeah.

To me, the stuff that turned you off is the reason I'm excited to attend. I had more affordable options at comparable schools, but none of them seemed to place the sort of emphasis that UNC does on the public good. If it wasn't for that sort of thing, I probably wouldn't be going to Carolina. So again, I think it's just a matter of what type of law you want to practice. If I was planning to go into entertainment law, for example, I probably wouldn't be all that jazzed after the presentation today.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:32 am

manceia wrote:
Haha I can list many instances of the diversity thing, the lawsuit they are assisting against Charlotte for segregation, representing people against wake county schools who are about to stop busing, suing the employer and getting the disabled guy his job back (I bet you that company makes sure they actually see someone from now on before hiring), banking lady talking about not enough women and minorities on boards, they just acquired two new $10,000 scholarships from xzy corporation -diversity scholarships-.

Dean States did mention approx 25% of students get a merit offer, those with both numbers in the top 10% (lsat, gpa) of the incoming class typically get the 8 Chancellors scholly. What he didn't mention but alluded to by saying soft factors (if LSN is somewhat accurate), is that most of the (at least the ones worth more than 5k a year) scholarships go to URMs. Even one of the students mentioned they throw $500 at everyone in order to claim 99% of students get grants.


Ah . . . I misread you; I didn't realize you were referencing the work of the legal clinics. I definitely remember them talking about all those things, yeah.

To me, the stuff that turned you off is the reason I'm excited to attend. I had more affordable options at comparable schools, but none of them seemed to place the sort of emphasis that UNC does on the public good. If it wasn't for that sort of thing, I probably wouldn't be going to Carolina. So again, I think it's just a matter of what type of law you want to practice. If I was planning to go into entertainment law, for example, I probably wouldn't be all that jazzed after the presentation today.


Innocence project, indigent defense, prosecutor/legal defense externship, any one of those things would have been awesome to hear about :) The clinics they briefed did sound interesting, just overkill on one subject.

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby lawhawk » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:31 pm

The diversity thing was overkill. I didn't even go to the last part of the day because it was about Public Interest and I felt like the whole day had been about public interest type law already.

Another thing I thought was disappointing was that they didnt address (at least I didn't hear it) the graduates have 10% unemployment and 12% in business.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:05 pm

lawhawk wrote:The diversity thing was overkill. I didn't even go to the last part of the day because it was about Public Interest and I felt like the whole day had been about public interest type law already.

Another thing I thought was disappointing was that they didnt address (at least I didn't hear it) the graduates have 10% unemployment and 12% in business.


haha, I snook out during lunch. After being herded into the lunch area, only for the caterer to say they weren't read I was done with it. It's wasn't truly UNCs fault though, once you've been to a few ASDs they are all the same. I pretty much just wanted to check out the building, area, library, which I got to do.

I did get one good thing out of it though. I was considering livig out a ways as real estate is much cheaper, but after listening to that older 1L talk about her 2 hour commute, I am inclined to agree.

I am truly torn between three schools: Wake, UNC and W&L.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby MarkRenton » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:11 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
lawhawk wrote:The diversity thing was overkill. I didn't even go to the last part of the day because it was about Public Interest and I felt like the whole day had been about public interest type law already.

Another thing I thought was disappointing was that they didnt address (at least I didn't hear it) the graduates have 10% unemployment and 12% in business.


haha, I snook out during lunch. After being herded into the lunch area, only for the caterer to say they weren't read I was done with it. It's wasn't truly UNCs fault though, once you've been to a few ASDs they are all the same. I pretty much just wanted to check out the building, area, library, which I got to do.

I did get one good thing out of it though. I was considering livig out a ways as real estate is much cheaper, but after listening to that older 1L talk about her 2 hour commute, I am inclined to agree.

I am truly torn between three schools: Wake, UNC and W&L.


I just checked out your profile to see your scholarship considerations. All things being equal, I'd do UNC. However, all things are not equal. WIth your situation..... Good luck, brother. I guess it matters what you personally are into, but that's a tough one. Wish I had some advice.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hellohalo, hoping4scholy, Houzy, lawschoolapp1987, lawschoolapplicant9, pandaaa, theothercat, WarriorPoet and 11 guests