University of North Carolina 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mytwocents

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Postby mytwocents » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:26 pm

NCclarice wrote:I read from someone here that the deadline for ASD is March 17th. Is there a March ASD? I just saw on the UNC website that April 17 was ASD and didn't see another option. BTW.....applied in october, went complete in december....still waiting for a decision. I don't drink but all this waiting is making me want one....whoever said they were buying a round....I'm in!!

There's an ASD on March 19th. The March 17th deadline is for the 19th ASD, but I don't know if it's ALSO for the April 16th ASD. I would assume not, since they're so far apart, but who knows.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Though I'm glad I avoided the wl/reject letter today, the perpetual fear of my mailbox is exhausting...unc you are my last chance to escape the northeast, and the more I learn the more I love.

I promise to send my seat deposit within hours of an acceptance, please please let me in!

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:48 am

Morning all. Woke up this morning with the strong sense that I'm going to send UNC a seat deposit and put an end to a lot of this drama if they send me a scholarship offer in the right ballpark in the next few days. Really, really hope it happens.

juliusgirlie

Postby juliusgirlie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:19 am

FunkyJD wrote:Morning all. Woke up this morning with the strong sense that I'm going to send UNC a seat deposit and put an end to a lot of this drama if they send me a scholarship offer in the right ballpark in the next few days. Really, really hope it happens.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you expecting $ from UNC? Are your stats just awesome or is there some other reason? You know, carolina isn't known for dishing out lots of cash.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:57 am

Hoping for a small scholarship also, going to email them today and ask as some of my offers expire on April 1st.

ellewoods

Postby ellewoods » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi all,

I was recently admitted to UNC and I'm really excited about it. I just thought I'd pass on some info- I called today to ask about scholarships and was told that the selection process has not even been started yet but is expected to begin sometime within the next two weeks, she basically told me not to hold my breath.
I'm really crossing my fingers for a scholarship here but she said that there was nothing you could do to be considered (i.e. no list, notes in file, etc.) because they automatically consider all applicants. My scores aren't much to stand on and I'm worried other things in my file may go overlooked, do you think I should send a letter or just leave it be?

Thanks!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:02 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Hoping for a small scholarship also, going to email them today and ask as some of my offers expire on April 1st.

If you don't mind, could you let me know what they tell you? I have very similar numbers and am in the same situation. PM me if you don't want to make it public.

thestoryends

Postby thestoryends » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Hoping for a small scholarship also, going to email them today and ask as some of my offers expire on April 1st.

If you don't mind, could you let me know what they tell you? I have very similar numbers and am in the same situation. PM me if you don't want to make it public.

+1

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:27 pm

juliusgirlie wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Morning all. Woke up this morning with the strong sense that I'm going to send UNC a seat deposit and put an end to a lot of this drama if they send me a scholarship offer in the right ballpark in the next few days. Really, really hope it happens.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you expecting $ from UNC? Are your stats just awesome or is there some other reason? You know, carolina isn't known for dishing out lots of cash.

I guess there's a difference between hoping and expecting. "Expecting" is your word. The word I used was "hope." I don't expect anything from anyone. If I get it though, or if I can convince them to give it to me, I'll take it all the same. Even if they say, "You know, this means that juliusgirlie doesn't get any, right?" 8)

juliusgirlie

Postby juliusgirlie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:35 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
juliusgirlie wrote:

I guess there's a difference between hoping and expecting. "Expecting" is your word. The word I used was "hope." I don't expect anything from anyone. If I get it though, or if I can convince them to give it to me, I'll take it all the same. Even if they say, "You know, this means that juliusgirlie doesn't get any, right?" 8)

I'd just noticed you posting recently about scholarship info and that you were considering calling to inquire about when scholarship info would be sent out. Your consistent inquiry into $ would lead one to believe that you consider yourself to be a strong candidate for it. You've also commented that your submitting a deposit is somewhat contingent on a scholarship offer; considering most people with similar acceptances/rejects/wls to yours would definitely deposit regardless of $, I was wondering if you'd heard something that made you believe more money would be available this year. Carolina usually only gives $$ to URMs or those with extremely high numbers. I didn't mean any offense with my original post.

idylls

Postby idylls » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Operation Get An Answer is still in the works. I called again today. This call was actually the most informative.

1) The person I talked to last week didn't know what she was talking about - they have NO IDEA when they'll make a decision on my application.
2) My application has been checked out by somebody on the admissions committee so he can honestly say it's under review.
3) The people answering the phones have no idea how many people have already checked it out and weighed in and could not begin to guess how many more need to review it.
4) I shouldn't hold my breath - being under review means nothing as nearly all applications go thru these people. There is no auto-reject or auto-accept.
5) There is no email that lets you know when your application is being reviewed by someone on the committee.

He also said if we lose to W&M tonight, they will burn the applications they have yet to make a decision on. If we win, they'll accept them all. (Okay - maybe I made that last part up.)

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:12 pm

idylls wrote:There is no auto-reject or auto-accept.

I'm calling BS on this one...

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:51 pm

juliusgirlie wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
juliusgirlie wrote:If you don't mind me asking, why are you expecting $ from UNC? Are your stats just awesome or is there some other reason? You know, carolina isn't known for dishing out lots of cash.

I'd just noticed you posting recently about scholarship info and that you were considering calling to inquire about when scholarship info would be sent out. Your consistent inquiry into $ would lead one to believe that you consider yourself to be a strong candidate for it.

I'm a pro-active person and a positive thinker. Works for me more often than not. Hopefully it works this time.

juliusgirlie wrote:You've also commented that your submitting a deposit is somewhat contingent on a scholarship offer; considering most people with similar acceptances/rejects/wls to yours would definitely deposit regardless of $, I was wondering if you'd heard something that made you believe more money would be available this year. Carolina usually only gives $$ to URMs or those with extremely high numbers.

Most people would definitely deposit? Most of which income bracket? I'm not going to just throw a deposit at a school if I'm not sure that I can afford to attend there. I don't have endless cash for deposits. I'm looking to make one deposit. Two at the most, but hopefully just one.

I'd love to go to UNC. I hope that I will, but my other acceptances are attractive to me as well if UNC doesn't work out. Let's hope that it does.

juliusgirlie wrote:I didn't mean any offense with my original post.

I had a beautiful dream about UNC this morning -- really beautiful -- and for some reason I decided to share a positive thought about it. Must have forgot that this was TLS, and that someone would inevitably rain on it, like an internet forum law of action and reaction. :lol: But life will continue. The birds are still singing outside my window.

let0927

Postby let0927 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:07 pm

DNAgent wrote:
idylls wrote:There is no auto-reject or auto-accept.

I'm calling BS on this one...

yeah, Dean States said there was an auto reject pile when I went there for a visit.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm fairly certain the only requirement they have is a 3.0+ GPA, and even at that they are more like "we generally prefer that an applicant has this."

FunkyJD wrote:

Most people would definitely deposit? Most of which income bracket? I'm not going to just throw a deposit at a school if I'm not sure that I can afford to attend there. I don't have endless cash for deposits. I'm looking to make one deposit. Two at the most, but hopefully just one.

I'd love to go to UNC. I hope that I will, but my other acceptances are attractive to me as well if UNC doesn't work out. Let's hope that it does.
[/quote]

To be fair, UNC is not a very expensive school. I think most people, even of a lower income bracket, would be very likely go to there if they really wanted to. Even if you don't mean it, your tone definitely implied that you expected a scholarship. I totally agree that it has to be financially feasible, but you are far from the only one in this waiting situation. We'd all like to only drop one deposit, but UNC doesn't seem to care about that. I think it's obnoxious that they don't give $$ info to people until well after they've been accepted (this is just ridiculous), but as we've already determined, UNC does not like to do anything in a straightforward way. I do wish you luck and I hope that you get what you're hoping for in order to bring you to UNC!

On a slightly related note, I'm almost decided on my back-up if UNC doesn't pan out. Guess I'll wait until 4/14 to submit a deposit :lol:

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:07 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:I'm fairly certain the only requirement they have is a 3.0+ GPA, and even at that they are more like "we generally prefer that an applicant has this."

FunkyJD wrote:Most people would definitely deposit? Most of which income bracket? I'm not going to just throw a deposit at a school if I'm not sure that I can afford to attend there. I don't have endless cash for deposits. I'm looking to make one deposit. Two at the most, but hopefully just one.

To be fair, UNC is not a very expensive school. I think most people, even of a lower income bracket, would be very likely go to there if they really wanted to. Even if you don't mean it, your tone definitely implied that you expected a scholarship. I totally agree that it has to be financially feasible, but you are far from the only one in this waiting situation.

Never said that I was special. Never said that I expected anything. I said that I was hopeful. How is this misinterpreted??

Christ, I'll keep future enthusiasm to myself.

DoktorZaius

Postby DoktorZaius » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:10 pm

FunkyJD wrote:I had a beautiful dream about UNC this morning -- really beautiful -- and for some reason I decided to share a positive thought about it. Must have forgot that this was TLS, and that someone would inevitably rain on it, like an internet forum law of action and reaction. :lol: But life will continue. The birds are still singing outside my window.

I'm disturbed by your enthusiasm. It makes me think you're experiencing some sort of psychogenic fugue or paranoid break. I can't help but picture you in a mental hospital, straight-jacket on tight, using voice-dictation software to convey how lovely the singing birds are outside your window.

Alternatively, you could just be a normal well-adjusted human being. But, for now, I'm going to posit the above as truth.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:11 pm

DoktorZaius wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:I had a beautiful dream about UNC this morning -- really beautiful -- and for some reason I decided to share a positive thought about it. Must have forgot that this was TLS, and that someone would inevitably rain on it, like an internet forum law of action and reaction. :lol: But life will continue. The birds are still singing outside my window.

I'm disturbed by your enthusiasm. It makes me think you're experiencing some sort of psychogenic fugue or paranoid break. I can't help but picture you in a mental hospital, straight-jacket on tight, using voice-dictation software to convey how lovely the singing birds are outside your window.

Alternatively, you could just be a normal well-adjusted human being. But, for now, I'm going to posit the above as truth.

Hell ... I don't know what to say to that other than God bless you.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:33 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:I'm fairly certain the only requirement they have is a 3.0+ GPA, and even at that they are more like "we generally prefer that an applicant has this."

FunkyJD wrote:Most people would definitely deposit? Most of which income bracket? I'm not going to just throw a deposit at a school if I'm not sure that I can afford to attend there. I don't have endless cash for deposits. I'm looking to make one deposit. Two at the most, but hopefully just one.

To be fair, UNC is not a very expensive school. I think most people, even of a lower income bracket, would be very likely go to there if they really wanted to. Even if you don't mean it, your tone definitely implied that you expected a scholarship. I totally agree that it has to be financially feasible, but you are far from the only one in this waiting situation.

Never said that I was special. Never said that I expected anything. I said that I was hopeful. How is this misinterpreted??

Christ, I'll keep future enthusiasm to myself.

I'm honestly sorry, I was not trying to be nasty. However, I don't appreciate that you quoted me by cutting off the empathetic, encouraging piece of my statement. I was just trying to point out that juliusgirlie was not the only one who thought something else based on your posts. It seems that maybe you are misinterpreting me as much as I am misinterpreting you. Again, I'm sorry for any offense.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:37 pm

I propose the following Memorandum of Understanding:

1. UNC's a great law school.
2. I'd love to go there.
3. Many people hope to go there.
4. I'd love to have a scholarship and be able to go there.
5. Many people would love to have a scholarship to go there.
6. I hope I get a good one.
7. I hope everyone gets good offers.

/Three's Company-esque misunderstandings.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:56 pm

FunkyJD wrote:I propose the following Memorandum of Understanding:

1. UNC's a great law school.
2. I'd love to go there.
3. Many people hope to go there.
4. I'd love to have a scholarship and be able to go there.
5. Many people would love to have a scholarship to go there.
6. I hope I get a good one.
7. I hope everyone gets good offers.

/Three's Company-esque misunderstandings.

I agree with the above :)

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Yay. Group hug. :lol:

Center2450

Postby Center2450 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:37 pm

is there a UNC Law 2013 facebook page?

Al Swearengen

Postby Al Swearengen » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:46 pm

Complete since 11/08/09 and still nothing. Come on.......

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:10 am

is there a UNC Law 2013 facebook page?

I can't find it; private maybe?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”