University of North Carolina 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
juevonate

New

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Post by juevonate » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:54 pm

I am as eager to hear from UNC as all of you, but I think we might be a bit unfair in our criticism of their delay.....with all apps sent in before January, I still haven't heard back from UCLA, WUSTL, and Texas,....although considering my odds of getting in to those places...that's probably not very encouraging.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:17 pm

juevonate wrote:I am as eager to hear from UNC as all of you, but I think we might be a bit unfair in our criticism of their delay.....with all apps sent in before January, I still haven't heard back from UCLA, WUSTL, and Texas,....although considering my odds of getting in to those places...that's probably not very encouraging.
Um, UNC has had my application since OCTOBER. Last I heard I was "complete". Many, many, many other schools -- UNC's peer schools -- have been able to get through this process more efficiently. And, sorry, but perception does count for something; building a relationship does count for something.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:25 pm

gymboree wrote:
juevonate wrote:I am as eager to hear from UNC as all of you, but I think we might be a bit unfair in our criticism of their delay.....with all apps sent in before January, I still haven't heard back from UCLA, WUSTL, and Texas,....although considering my odds of getting in to those places...that's probably not very encouraging.
Um, UNC has had my application since OCTOBER. Last I heard I was "complete". Many, many, many other schools -- UNC's peer schools -- have been able to get through this process more efficiently. And, sorry, but perception does count for something; building a relationship does count for something.

I agree, I applied In October and have had a decision from every school except UNC for over a month.

I understand they need time and I'm more anxious than frustrated now, but the reality is I need to make some tough decisions before April 1 and I would like an answer from UNC and some time to think about it.

But, it's still early March so I'm not too worried yet...

...and I still love UNC very, very much! :D

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:29 pm

gymboree wrote:
I fully agree. They don't do status checkers, you're not allowed to call them, and they guarantee decisions by May 1, which is after any other school's seat deposit due date. I will say that they really do seem to take a holistic approach. You really cannot predict how you'll do based on your numbers alone. But it's quite frustrating to sit for months with no news.

TarHeel2010

New

Post by TarHeel2010 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Part of me wants to go sit outside the law building with a guitar and sing them a love song and just hope they have a romantic side.....let me in, i love you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlueHeel

New

Post by BlueHeel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Just noticed another Reject on LSN today. Bummer.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
gymboree wrote:
I fully agree. They don't do status checkers, you're not allowed to call them, and they guarantee decisions by May 1, which is after any other school's seat deposit due date. I will say that they really do seem to take a holistic approach. You really cannot predict how you'll do based on your numbers alone. But it's quite frustrating to sit for months with no news.
agreed. i've already gotten numerous emails from schools i've been accepted at for months. i can appreciate their process but 12 weeks feels a bit excessive. the lack of transparency is unnerving and frankly, kind of irritating. that said, i still really want in and will wait as long as necessary.

TarheelHopeful

New

Post by TarheelHopeful » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:31 pm

So my friend called up the law school and they told her that a decision had been made on her file and a letter was sent out on Tuesday. Because of this, I called and no decision has been made for me - I am "In Committee" according to the guy I spoke with. I asked when I could expect a decision and he said "within a month". He was really nice, I just want to know now!!!!!!

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:43 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:So my friend called up the law school and they told her that a decision had been made on her file and a letter was sent out on Tuesday. Because of this, I called and no decision has been made for me - I am "In Committee" according to the guy I spoke with. I asked when I could expect a decision and he said "within a month". He was really nice, I just want to know now!!!!!!
Ugh....do we think letters still mean wl and rejects and emails are still acceptances?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:47 pm

lml09 wrote:
TarheelHopeful wrote:I called and no decision has been made for me - I am "In Committee" according to the guy I spoke with. I asked when I could expect a decision and he said "within a month". He was really nice, I just want to know now!!!!!!
Ugh....do we think letters still mean wl and rejects and emails are still acceptances?
A, um, friend has had a similar experience as TarheelHopeful ... don't know what that means, but we can add that observation to the data set as we craft a theory.

TarheelHopeful

New

Post by TarheelHopeful » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:48 pm

I don't really think that because her stats are Carolina worthy (not posting them because its not my place to do that). I really feel like she will/should get in!! Maybe they are switching to snail mail???
Last edited by TarheelHopeful on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:49 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:So my friend called up the law school and they told her that a decision had been made on her file and a letter was sent out on Tuesday. Because of this, I called and no decision has been made for me - I am "In Committee" according to the guy I spoke with. I asked when I could expect a decision and he said "within a month". He was really nice, I just want to know now!!!!!!
You know how I know you're lying? j/k

TarheelHopeful

New

Post by TarheelHopeful » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Lol, I'm not lying - he was actually nice. Not very informative, but nice...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:53 pm

The plot thickens...

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:56 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
lml09 wrote:
TarheelHopeful wrote:I called and no decision has been made for me - I am "In Committee" according to the guy I spoke with. I asked when I could expect a decision and he said "within a month". He was really nice, I just want to know now!!!!!!
A, um, friend has had a similar experience as TarheelHopeful ... don't know what that means, but we can add that observation to the data set as we craft a theory.

Edit. RC fail.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:12 pm

Well, just got the waitlist letter. Not sure about staying on...

161, 3.7, In state, applied mid October.

BlueHeel

New

Post by BlueHeel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Was your mailing address in state? (I'm sorry about the WL!)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TarheelHopeful

New

Post by TarheelHopeful » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:14 pm

lml09 wrote:Well, just got the waitlist letter. Not sure about staying on...

You just got waitlisted by mail just now?? Your stats are great!! WTF??

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Very sorry to hear this, lml. You're in-state and at/above medians, and applied early. Hard to reckon.

The letter theory +1.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:18 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:

Yeah, just ran out and checked the mail. I'm only about 20 miles from the school.
Kind of sucks...

TarheelHopeful

New

Post by TarheelHopeful » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Really sorry! At least it was a waitlist! I do not understand your waitlist at all though. That's BS...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bakiewakies

New

Post by bakiewakies » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:21 pm

lml09 wrote:
TarheelHopeful wrote:

Yeah, just ran out and checked the mail. I'm only about 20 miles from the school.
Kind of sucks...
We can commiserate together, as I was about the only waitlist until now (167, 3.44, recommendation from a prof at UNC law). I'm sorry to hear that.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:28 pm

bakiewakies wrote:
lml09 wrote:
TarheelHopeful wrote:

Kind of sucks...
We can commiserate together, as I was about the only waitlist until now (167, 3.44, recommendation from a prof at UNC law). I'm sorry to hear that.

Yeah, I can't understand UNC. Well, after perusing the letter I got and reading that they do not normally get to the waitlist until July, if at all, I checked the little box saying I do not wish to stay on the waitlist. I'll most likely be going to Wake Forest or Colorado.

Anyways, I'm signing out. Good luck to all of you! I've enjoyed our little support group!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Sucks really bad. :(

Good luck with your decision, though. I'm waiting for decisions from Colorado and Wake as well, so who knows I may end up seeing you in the Fall. Good luck again!

manceia

New

Post by manceia » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:36 pm

After reading about the person who called and was told they were "in committee," I'm half-tempted to call myself. Another part of me says not to rock the boat, that they've told us they don't want us calling, and I should just hang in there...

Has anyone else called and been given an update on the progress of their application?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”