University of North Carolina 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jss1100

Bronze

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Post by jss1100 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Has there been any movement since Monday?

dkirby87

New

Post by dkirby87 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:09 pm

jss1100 wrote:Has there been any movement since Monday?
No. Nothing from what I can tell. It will most likely be another week or two before some substantial movement happens.

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:27 pm

I wish UNC would just let me in now, this waiting is KILLING me. I don't know if I can wait til March and not have a complete mental breakdown.

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:42 pm

I really like that UNC doesn't have a status checker. The wait would be 5x as bad.

laughingberries

New

Post by laughingberries » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:30 pm

has anyone decided on unc yet?

also i've done some research on employment prospects (beyond the info posted on unc's site), but i still have an rather incomplete picture of what a jd from unc will do for my employment prospects... anybody have any thoughts on this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:56 pm

laughingberries wrote:has anyone decided on unc yet?

also i've done some research on employment prospects (beyond the info posted on unc's site), but i still have an rather incomplete picture of what a jd from unc will do for my employment prospects... anybody have any thoughts on this?
I've always heard that UNC has a huge alumni network within NC and that UNC grads usually fare well in NC. Dunno if that's still true ITE, though.

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:49 am

mytwocents wrote:

I've always heard that UNC has a huge alumni network within NC and that UNC grads usually fare well in NC. Dunno if that's still true ITE, though.
To be brutally honest, the NC economy makes me nervous these days, but I think it will bounce back quickly enough. Current 2Ls are probably taking a solid beating though.

laughingberries

New

Post by laughingberries » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:00 am

jerzgrl630 wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

To be brutally honest, the NC economy makes me nervous these days, but I think it will bounce back quickly enough. Current 2Ls are probably taking a solid beating though.
here's a link to a breakdown of info on NC's economy.
--LinkRemoved--

i know that even in the t14, jobs aren't a guarantee anymore ( F this economy!), but the more i read about the legal market, the more i want some assurance that my legal education will put me in a good position post grad.... (i really can't wait to start law school and am very excited about UNC)

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 am

Got notice my application has been "received" now the real waiting begins ... :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eye

Bronze

Post by eye » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:24 pm

laughingberries wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

here's a link to a breakdown of info on NC's economy.
--LinkRemoved--

i know that even in the t14, jobs aren't a guarantee anymore ( F this economy!), but the more i read about the legal market, the more i want some assurance that my legal education will put me in a good position post grad.... (i really can't wait to start law school and am very excited about UNC)
Thanks for the link! If you want to stay in NC, then UNC is your best bet. About 40% of all attorneys employed in NC are from UNC. Although the economy does make me nervous, I take comfort in the fact that UNC is cheap, reputable and located in the state I want to practice.

Even if were to somehow get into Duke, I'd still choose UNC.

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 pm

eye wrote:
Thanks for the link! If you want to stay in NC, then UNC is your best bet. About 40% of all attorneys employed in NC are from UNC. Although the economy does make me nervous, I take comfort in the fact that UNC is cheap, reputable and located in the state I want to practice.

Even if were to somehow get into Duke, I'd still choose UNC.
I completely agree. A law degree from UNC is very strong and you have a great network of alumni to help you, which is always useful in tough times.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Does anyone know about the status of UNC's new law building? Apparently it was about to go under construction then money problems hit - but now the project is back on? I'm wondering when and if it will be built and of course, what will it be like? The only thing that I've really heard definitively is that the site of the building will not be centrally located on campus like the current building. I guess there's tradeoffs with that: it will be less conveniently located around other campus facilities but I believe it might solve a huge parking issue.

laughingberries

New

Post by laughingberries » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:51 pm

MarkRenton wrote:Does anyone know about the status of UNC's new law building? Apparently it was about to go under construction then money problems hit - but now the project is back on? I'm wondering when and if it will be built and of course, what will it be like? The only thing that I've really heard definitively is that the site of the building will not be centrally located on campus like the current building. I guess there's tradeoffs with that: it will be less conveniently located around other campus facilities but I believe it might solve a huge parking issue.
how far from the main campus is the north campus? and will we even be affected by the new building?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueHeel

New

Post by BlueHeel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:55 pm

MarkRenton wrote:Does anyone know about the status of UNC's new law building? Apparently it was about to go under construction then money problems hit - but now the project is back on? I'm wondering when and if it will be built and of course, what will it be like? The only thing that I've really heard definitively is that the site of the building will not be centrally located on campus like the current building. I guess there's tradeoffs with that: it will be less conveniently located around other campus facilities but I believe it might solve a huge parking issue.
Was visiting a friend last weekend who is a 2L. They are telling them that the incoming 2010 class MAY be in the new law building by their second year if construction is on schedule (it has already started, I saw the construction site). Of the new portions of campud being built, the law school building is to be completed first. The current law building is nice, but parking is terrible. The North campus is actually not that far from Franklin Street and the rest of campus, although its maybe a mile walk from the current law building/library.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:00 pm

I've heard that all 1L's are forced to do the park and ride. If you have an early morning class, I don't see how this is anything less than a serious pain in the ass. But of course, worth doing for a school like UNC. However, it sounds like the new school will have a lot more parking available. The old building's nice enough. It's old, but it's fairly cool. I'm wondering if the new law school building will be immaculate like Duke's or Vandy's.

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:09 pm

laughingberries wrote:
how far from the main campus is the north campus? and will we even be affected by the new building?

North Campus essentially is main campus. The campus is divided into 3 -- North, Central, and South campus. North = academic buildings and a couple of dorms. Central = sports (except basketball) and law school and school of government. South = dorms and dean dome. If you look at a map of the campus the law school overlooks the track and is right next to the baseball fields.

Most students who live off campus (dunno about law students) live just North of North campus.

to clarify -- all three "campuses" are connected and form one big, long campus.
Last edited by lawhawk on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laughingberries

New

Post by laughingberries » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:10 pm

i wonder how UNC will do in US News and World Report rankings this year... i know it "shouldn't" matter especially given UNC's very strong reputation among employers/judges, but it would be nice to see a move back into the 20s? any predictions?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueHeel

New

Post by BlueHeel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:12 pm

The best thing to happen to UNC was to move out of the top 20. I hope they never get back that garbage.

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:13 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I've heard that all 1L's are forced to do the park and ride. If you have an early morning class, I don't see how this is anything less than a serious pain in the ass. But of course, worth doing for a school like UNC. However, it sounds like the new school will have a lot more parking available. The old building's nice enough. It's old, but it's fairly cool. I'm wondering if the new law school building will be immaculate like Duke's or Vandy's.
I spoke to some students who actually loved that they didn't have to park on campus since it's so expensive and difficult. They raved about the public transit. Of course it's only the opinion of a few students but the park and ride probably isn't as bad as it sounds.

laughingberries

New

Post by laughingberries » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:14 pm

lawhawk wrote:
laughingberries wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
North Campus essentially is main campus. The campus is divided into 3 -- North, Central, and South campus. North = academic buildings and a couple of dorms. Central = sports (except basketball) and law school and school of government. South = dorms and dean dome. If you look at a map of the campus the law school overlooks the track and is right next to the baseball fields.

Most students (dunno about law students) live just North of North campus.
that's good to know, some of the things i'd been reading made it sound like a satellite campus, which i wasn't too excited about. if i'm gonna be at the school late, i'd prefer more student activity going on

laughingberries

New

Post by laughingberries » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:16 pm

BlueHeel wrote:The best thing to happen to UNC was to move out of the top 20. I hope they never get back that garbage.
?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

juliusgirlie

New

Post by juliusgirlie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Unc's New law building will be located at UNC North, which is entirely different from Unc's "north campus". Confusing, yes. As far as I know, UNC North construction is slow. I live in chapel hill and I'm not quite sure if building has even started yet. This part of campus will be located a few miles from UNC's main campus/current law school building. Don't bank on ever setting foot in the 'new' law building if you're entering next fall. :(

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:20 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:I've heard that all 1L's are forced to do the park and ride. If you have an early morning class, I don't see how this is anything less than a serious pain in the ass. But of course, worth doing for a school like UNC. However, it sounds like the new school will have a lot more parking available. The old building's nice enough. It's old, but it's fairly cool. I'm wondering if the new law school building will be immaculate like Duke's or Vandy's.
I spoke to some students who actually loved that they didn't have to park on campus since it's so expensive and difficult. They raved about the public transit. Of course it's only the opinion of a few students but the park and ride probably isn't as bad as it sounds.
I've never had to ride a bus in Chapel Hill (I'm a current undergrad) but the people who do seem to like it. They are usually on time and there are tons of them. Also, the bussing is free. The Chapel Hill mayor actually won national environmental mayor of the year a couple of years ago because of it.

And yeah Carolina North has been all over the news here since my Sophomore year, but saying it is going slow is like saying UNC kind of likes in-state students.

TarHeel11

New

Post by TarHeel11 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:43 pm

BlueHeel wrote:
Was visiting a friend last weekend who is a 2L. They are telling them that the incoming 2010 class MAY be in the new law building by their second year if construction is on schedule (it has already started, I saw the construction site). Of the new portions of campud being built, the law school building is to be completed first. The current law building is nice, but parking is terrible. The North campus is actually not that far from Franklin Street and the rest of campus, although its maybe a mile walk from the current law building/library.
Construction of the new law school has not begun. They have not even unveiled the architectural plans for it and the entire thing is on hold given the effect of the economy on the state budget. The new law school is primarily going to be funded by the General Assembly.

Also, the law school is scheduled to be the second building at Carolina North. The Innovation Center will be the first.

And you seem to be confusing North Campus with Carolina North. Carolina North will be 2 miles north of Franklin Street, which is the current northern boundary of campus, on MLK/Historic Airport Road and a solid three miles from the existing law school building. I would not say that it is particularly close to Franklin Street or the rest of campus.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:45 pm

^^^I read a student newspaper on their website which said the same thing - the project is on hold, they don't expect the building to be done for several years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”