University of North Carolina 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Schrute Farms Beets

New

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Post by Schrute Farms Beets » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:54 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Hodgy wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:I submitted my UNC application along with all my others in OCTOBER and have long since heard from every other school. It is now the end of MARCH and they told me I hadn't even gone under review yet (and yes I am complete there). UNC is my alma mater and was probably my top choice at the start of my cycle but this is appalling. It's been almost six months and they haven't even bothered to look at it yet. I love this school but that is NOT how you attract students of any kind and has severely dulled the law school in my eyes.

Very similar process for me, although I attended an out of state undergrad. I just cant believe its been 5 months and they cant get to all of the applications in that timeframe when there are schools with much larger application volumes who can do this.
i totally agree. as i've said before, this angers me. it seems very inconsiderate and it's really turned me off of UNC.
I was under review at Duke for 5 months before I received the waitlist decision. I know significant numbers of other people in the "In at Duke" thread who waited a little longer or are still waiting. Several people withdrew because the waiting was ri-damn-diculous. I gave up on WUSTL, Boston University and Cornell because of the months long waiting and lack of updates/information.

So, even though I received my acceptance at UNC a few weeks ago, I definitely feel your pain.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:55 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I think everyone's getting a bit too annoyed. People always complain that schools simply use a little LSAT/GPA matrix and ignore personal statements, softs, etc. Well, the schools that do try a greater holistic approach are then criticized for not speeding up the process like "other schools". Basically, UNC states that they don't have a status checker and decisions will be made by May 1st. Thus, that is their obligation. If UNC wants to carefully consider the construction of their class and the unique qualities of each candidate, this will obviously take a while. We can assume that this intent is genuine since they require two 4-page essay plus provide the option of two additional 2-page essays. With LOR's and such - this takes a lot of time - especially when considering the file in relationship to the entire application pool. So as long as they render a decision before the promised date, there is nothing to get angry about. Sure I'd love an immediate decision, but they're being far from inconsiderate. Does anyone really believe that they're taking late lunches and going home early opposed to working diligently?
I both understand and applaud them for that approach, but I also think a 5 month wait in the case of the OP that applied in October is a bit ridiculous, unless there were red flags or something.

Edit: That said, I am still waiting and crossing my fingers for good news this week.

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:58 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I think everyone's getting a bit too annoyed. People always complain that schools simply use a little LSAT/GPA matrix and ignore personal statements, softs, etc. Well, the schools that do try a greater holistic approach are then criticized for not speeding up the process like "other schools". Basically, UNC states that they don't have a status checker and decisions will be made by May 1st. Thus, that is their obligation. If UNC wants to carefully consider the construction of their class and the unique qualities of each candidate, this will obviously take a while. We can assume that this intent is genuine since they require two 4-page essay plus provide the option of two additional 2-page essays. With LOR's and such - this takes a lot of time - especially when considering the file in relationship to the entire application pool. So as long as they render a decision before the promised date, there is nothing to get angry about. Sure I'd love an immediate decision, but they're being far from inconsiderate. Does anyone really believe that they're taking late lunches and going home early opposed to working diligently?
One time I had to call the admissions office to set up a tour appointment. The woman assured me that she would e-mail with all the information I needed but emphasized that she would work late and that it would come late. I got it at 8pm. They also have sent acceptance e-mails very late. So I totally believe that they have a massive workload.

I say this repeatedly that I respect that they take such a holistic approach. As much as I would love an answer now (or two months ago), I am happy to know that regardless of the outcome, my decision will be made with a lot of thought put into it and that I am not just a number combination in their eyes.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Berkeley does this, too, and is entirely finished with their cycle. Sorry UNC, but 6 months? Holistic, schmolistic. Something's wrong in their process.

Schrute Farms Beets

New

Post by Schrute Farms Beets » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 pm

gymboree wrote:
Berkeley does this, too, and is entirely finished with their cycle. Sorry UNC, but 6 months? Holistic, schmolistic. Something's wrong in their process.

UNC typically doesn't begin reviewing applications until January. This year it looks like they started earlier, but factor in the increase of law school applications at most law schools. So the early start may have made little difference in speeding up the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hodgy

Gold

Post by Hodgy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:07 pm

The problem that I have, and I'll go on a limb and make an assumption that others with time length problems have the same bone to pick, is why wait till January or later to begin review when they could just as easily begin earlier in the application cycle. They accept applications before January 1st, so why let them sit around before reviewing them. This alone would allow an additional two months to apply their holistic approach if that was truly their mission. All of this, and I am almost surely a rejection. I just want to hear and stop the waiting.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Hodgy wrote:The problem that I have, and I'll go on a limb and make an assumption that others with time length problems have the same bone to pick, is why wait till January or later to begin review when they could just as easily begin earlier in the application cycle. They accept applications before January 1st, so why let them sit around before reviewing them. This alone would allow an additional two months to apply their holistic approach if that was truly their mission. All of this, and I am almost surely a rejection. I just want to hear and stop the waiting.
My guess is that it's easier for them to consider an application in relationship to the rest of the pool when some percentage of the applications have been received. They may not want to start the process when only 5-10% of the applications are reviewable.

jakeoooh

New

Post by jakeoooh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Also adding to the delay is the ~70% in-state requirement. I would imagine that keeping this number balanced with their desired class size makes it difficult to do anything more than trickle out decisions.

I agree that the wait is killer, but having the residency restriction makes it somewhat more understandable. In addition, Dean States mentioned (at an open house) that they go so far as to attempt to ensure that certain COUNTIES in NC are represented, which probably makes the process even more difficult. I'm still dying for an acceptance, but I don't doubt that they lose students because they take so long (especially with a comparably ranked and scholarship-friendly school like Wake Forest right down the road).

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Schrute Farms Beets wrote:
gymboree wrote:

UNC typically doesn't begin reviewing applications until January. This year it looks like they started earlier, but factor in the increase of law school applications at most law schools. So the early start may have made little difference in speeding up the process.
+1. I've been hearing about huge increases in applications at schools across the board. UNC is easily one of the best law schools in NC; every NC resident I know personally who is applying to law school is applying there, so I'm sure they've had an increase in apps as well.

Also, I'd caution against letting this sully your perception of the law school as a whole. While I do believe that some of the resentment for the admissions department is warranted (how many stories have we heard about them being rude? I personally have been dealt with negatively by UNC admissions in the past), I've been told by more than a few people that the others working for the school, like the faculty and advisors, are all top-notch, personable and dedicated to their jobs. And because none of us actually go to UNC yet it's difficult NOT to judge the school only its admissions department...we haven't had the opportunity to really interact with anyone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:28 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:
mytwocents wrote:
insertclevernamehere wrote:So now that the wait has driven me bonkers, I was looking at the law school probability calculator and I am super confused - I am a 162/3.8 (at 50%, above 75%) and it seems that most people with my stats get rejected.

To me (at least) it seems that somebody with my numbers must be getting in in order to create a median, this is making me feel hopeless. Any insight?
I guess it's UNC's "holistic" approach? I have no clue. I don't have any WE, only decent softs and numbers very similar to yours and I got admitted in February. I applied suuuper early though, would that make a difference?

Before I applied, I used LSN with my numbers (163/3.74) and it put me at sttrong admit (73% I think)....so I just think UNC is really weird. Also, I still think you have a solid chance of getting in, regardless of what LSN says. Are you IS or OOS?

eta: err...meant LSP, oops.
First of all - my $.02 cents I love your 'tar. It makes me giggle everytime.

I just went on LSP to double check my numbers, and it says 74% chance of admit. Which makes more sense to me. However, it can't match (to my brain) the probability calculator which links you to LSN accounts with actual people who have been rejected/waitlisted (I know people lie on LSN, though I don't understand the motivation). It has made me feel uneasy, and I wish I had never looked!

I do have some WE, I graduated in '08 and have been working at a great state-based policy organization, but I am OOS and I didn't get my UNC application in until January.

I think it is time for me to stop obsessing, and to get back to work. UNC is my last chance to get out of this podunk state (I have been waitlisted at the other schools I could realistically afford) and see a little more of the country. However I did get a great offer from my state school so I should stop being so whiny.

/end rambling. Good luck guys! I hope we hear soon to put me out of my self-induced misery.
hahahah YES. I love The Office, and the episode with Prison Mike is easily one of my favorites. "You my friend...YOU would be da belle of da ball..." LMAO.

brittainyb

New

Post by brittainyb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:41 pm

mytwocents wrote:
insertclevernamehere wrote:
mytwocents wrote:
insertclevernamehere wrote:So now that the wait has driven me bonkers, I was looking at the law school probability calculator and I am super confused - I am a 162/3.8 (at 50%, above 75%) and it seems that most people with my stats get rejected.

To me (at least) it seems that somebody with my numbers must be getting in in order to create a median, this is making me feel hopeless. Any insight?
I guess it's UNC's "holistic" approach? I have no clue. I don't have any WE, only decent softs and numbers very similar to yours and I got admitted in February. I applied suuuper early though, would that make a difference?

Before I applied, I used LSN with my numbers (163/3.74) and it put me at sttrong admit (73% I think)....so I just think UNC is really weird. Also, I still think you have a solid chance of getting in, regardless of what LSN says. Are you IS or OOS?

eta: err...meant LSP, oops.
First of all - my $.02 cents I love your 'tar. It makes me giggle everytime.

I just went on LSP to double check my numbers, and it says 74% chance of admit. Which makes more sense to me. However, it can't match (to my brain) the probability calculator which links you to LSN accounts with actual people who have been rejected/waitlisted (I know people lie on LSN, though I don't understand the motivation). It has made me feel uneasy, and I wish I had never looked!

I do have some WE, I graduated in '08 and have been working at a great state-based policy organization, but I am OOS and I didn't get my UNC application in until January.

I think it is time for me to stop obsessing, and to get back to work. UNC is my last chance to get out of this podunk state (I have been waitlisted at the other schools I could realistically afford) and see a little more of the country. However I did get a great offer from my state school so I should stop being so whiny.

/end rambling. Good luck guys! I hope we hear soon to put me out of my self-induced misery.
hahahah YES. I love The Office, and the episode with Prison Mike is easily one of my favorites. "You my friend...YOU would be da belle of da ball..." LMAO.

+1

:) that is one of my all-time favorite episodes. "don't drop the soap! don't drop the soap!"

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:52 pm

If were talking about The Office:

"Bears, beats...Battlestar Galactica"

bitlrc

Bronze

Post by bitlrc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:59 pm

-how do you make a table?
-you make a chair..but you don't sit on it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:15 pm

It's simply beyond words. It's incalculacable.

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Shoot -- not to rain on anyone's parade but someone on LSN just got waitlisted.

Terror of my mailbox returns, will be checking it in 30.

ihopeihope

New

Post by ihopeihope » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Admissions office update: I called today to see if my application had gone under review yet--it had not (complete 1/28 I believe). I mentioned I had a seat deposit due April 1st as the reason I was calling them--but assured her UNC was/is my number one choice (which it is). She said they were going to really try to "crank out" some decisions before April 1st and then the rest she said, again, would be by May 1st. I feel like we'll be seeing a lot more decisions by the end of this week and early next week. Just thought you guys might like an update. Come on UNC, don't make me move out of the state!

flchick1

New

Post by flchick1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:56 pm

tarheel87 wrote:I submitted my UNC application along with all my others in OCTOBER and have long since heard from every other school. It is now the end of MARCH and they told me I hadn't even gone under review yet (and yes I am complete there). UNC is my alma mater and was probably my top choice at the start of my cycle but this is appalling. It's been almost six months and they haven't even bothered to look at it yet. I love this school but that is NOT how you attract students of any kind and has severely dulled the law school in my eyes.
I also applied in October and haven't heard anything since my complete email. I agree that this is a turnoff...I figure if they treat their applicants with such little regard, how do they treat their students? I wish they'd just make a decision already---it's probably a rejection anyway---and get it over with.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:00 pm

flchick1 wrote:
I also applied in October and haven't heard anything since my complete email. I agree that this is a turnoff...I figure if they treat their applicants with such little regard, how do they treat their students? I wish they'd just make a decision already---it's probably a rejection anyway---and get it over with.
Do they, though? I feel like that's the debate. No one can seem to decide if UNC is just lazy with processing/reviewing applications, or if they take a "holistic" approach and thoroughly review every single one. Personally, I'm falling toward the latter, but it's still slow and without a doubt unnerving.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:06 pm

mytwocents wrote:
flchick1 wrote:
Do they, though? I feel like that's the debate. No one can seem to decide if UNC is just lazy with processing/reviewing applications, or if they take a "holistic" approach and thoroughly review every single one. Personally, I'm falling toward the latter, but it's still slow and without a doubt unnerving.
I get a lot more aggravated by the schools which pump out decisions in an incredibly quick amount of time in complete accordance with the GPA/LSAT matrix. I always wonder whether I just paid $70 bucks for someone to hit a couple buttons on a calculator. So yeah, I don't mind schools at all taking their time. I don't view this at all as treating us with "little regard". I look at it as treating us with respect as an applicant.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:07 pm

That said, I'm dying for my decision

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:14 pm

MarkRenton wrote:That said, I'm dying for my decision

...I really just want to know where Im going to be living

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:17 pm

just got a wl email! wooo i've officially heard from every school!! unc is the last school i was waiting to hear from.... will withdraw. oos 168/3.43. yaay, my cycle is over!

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 pm

hhg wrote:just got a wl email! wooo i've officially heard from every school!! unc is the last school i was waiting to hear from.... will withdraw. oos 168/3.43. yaay, my cycle is over!

...you just scared the hell out of me...checked my email - nothing. Thank you jesus.

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:51 pm

dp73816 wrote:
hhg wrote:just got a wl email! wooo i've officially heard from every school!! unc is the last school i was waiting to hear from.... will withdraw. oos 168/3.43. yaay, my cycle is over!

...you just scared the hell out of me...checked my email - nothing. Thank you jesus.
haha, sorry about that! glad that you got no news & i hope everybody hears good things soon!

LadyTarHeelian

New

Post by LadyTarHeelian » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Anyone here who is a current UNC UG that has been accepted? I just logged into the new MyUNC portal and on there was a section for active applications. I clicked on the "Edit" button for the Fall 2010 application and it gave me an error. I clicked on the text below it saying "Check scores" or something like that. At the bottom of the page it took me to I saw my JD application. I have been waitlisted but it says "Thank you for submitting your application. Your decision is not yet available." So I was wondering if it says "accepted" for anyone who has been accepted. Yes, I'm fishing for a status checker.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”