University of North Carolina 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
juliusgirlie

New

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Post by juliusgirlie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:40 pm

And for those who will be in town tomorrow shopping for UNC souvenirs after ASD, make sure to stop by Tarheel Book Store on franklin st :) Also, my suggestion for a nice lunch would be the patio at R and R grill (in the bank of america building). The weather will be amazing and the food is more than yummy.

If you want a Carolina Law t-shirt or hoodie, the only place around that has them in stock right now is Johnny T-shirt. They're pretty plain - gray with black or navy lettering saying "carolina law", but the generic-ness didn't stop me from buying one. Student Stores may have gotten more in stock, but i doubt it.

Just a little info from a chick who works on franklin st and will be at UNC in august.

fngrscrossed

New

Post by fngrscrossed » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Could anyone recommend a hotel? I'm attending the April ASD and am coming in from Philly...restaurant recs are appreciated as well :)

juliusgirlie

New

Post by juliusgirlie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:15 pm

You really can't go wrong with hotels in Chapel Hill unless you stay at the Red Roof Inn. Avoid it. I assume you're renting a car? If not, you'll need to stay at the Carolina Inn - it's about a 15 minute walk from the law school. There's a nice Courtyard by Mariott about 1.5 miles from the school, a Residence Inn by Mariott about 3 miles away. There's a Sheraton right across the street from there, but I'm sure it's pricey. The Holiday Inn off 15-501/Fordham Blvd is an okay place to stay because it's cheap and right behind Eastgate Shopping Center (a tiny strip of shopping/eating places).

Food - Breadmens - really well-known, a local favorite. Serves southern food and delicious breakfast. There's usually a crowd for breakfast, though. $

The Barbecue Joint - supposedly the best BBQ place around. Authentic NC style barbecue pork (vinegar based) $$

Bailey's Pub - great bar food, pool tables, lots of tvs. I love going there for beer and sports-watching $

Squids - the best seafood you'll get in the area. from 4-6, they have oyster happy hour. Only 50 cents each either steamed or raw. $$

Carrburitos - arguably the best burrito around. It's off Main st in Carrboro, so it's about 2 miles from campus

Good Places on Franklin - R and R grill, Spanky's, Top of the Hill (a little overrated but a great view), Meditteranean Deli (The most delicious greek around), PTs grille (the best hand-cut, seasoned fries i've ever had, nice patio for dining, really casual and fun), Jack Sprat (really cute little cafe type place. Delicious focacia sandwiches)

Places to Avoid - Asia Cafe (word is that it's a drug front), Time Out (really greasy, sanitation is only acceptable at 2am after the bar, though their food is pretty good)

jakeoooh

New

Post by jakeoooh » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Also per restaurants- if you like nice upscale food, Elaine's on Franklin and Lantern are both excellent places located on Franklin Street. Apps are around $10-$15, entrées around $25-$35, and dessert $8. As a big-time foodie, both restaurants are very good by any standards, and surprisingly great to find outside of Northern Cal or NYC.

Magnolia Grill, in Durham, is also excellent though I don't recall how much food there is.

jakeoooh

New

Post by jakeoooh » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm

And for BBQ I prefer Allen & Son over The Barbecue Joint. It's got a much cooler 'holy Christ this is an amazing hole-in the wall' feel than Barbecue Joint in my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:38 pm

From what I have seen, acceptance emails have been sent out relatively late, like between 6 and 9 PM Eastern.
mine came in the am.

idylls

New

Post by idylls » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Penang on West Franklin is pretty darn tasty Malaysian/Thai. Also Cosmic has a fantastic burrito - perfect to grab and go eat in the quad. If you love sushi - just a bit down 54 is Shiki Sushi - the best sushi I've ever had. It's always buy one get one free, and it's amazing quality.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Hopefully I meet some of you there, but I doubt it since I tend to get shy at these things. As for lunch I hope UNC is serving us lunch, so far every ASD I've been to (all three...) has served awesome food, although Penn State's was the best!

juliusgirlie

New

Post by juliusgirlie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:56 pm

jakeoooh wrote:And for BBQ I prefer Allen & Son over The Barbecue Joint. It's got a much cooler 'holy Christ this is an amazing hole-in the wall' feel than Barbecue Joint in my opinion.

Oh god, who wouldn't prefer allen and son? That place is absolutely fantastic, even if the menu pages DO stick together... It's just a ~20 min. drive from everything.

As for sushi, shiki is really good. But i'd take Kanki anyday. They give bigger rolls and the prices are a bit better IMO (they do buy one/get one every day, too). It's also well-enough lit so you can see who you're talking to lol.

god, i love food

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:08 pm

you know what i'd love? to be accepted already. agh.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:09 pm

webbylu87 wrote:you know what i'd love? to be accepted already. agh.
lol +1,000

eye

Bronze

Post by eye » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:52 pm

I'll be at ASD :) Booked a hotel for the weekend. Going to CH right after work! Excited!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:15 pm

What are you guys wearing, just want to make sure I fit in. I plan on wearing khakis and a long sleeve dress shirt, no tie.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:00 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:What are you guys wearing, just want to make sure I fit in. I plan on wearing khakis and a long sleeve dress shirt, no tie.
I'll probably be wearing a pair of basketball shorts and an Urban Outfitters shirt with a backwards baseball hat and some Pumas. I figure since I haven't been admitted yet and therefore I will not be attending the ASD, this sounds about right.

Damnit...

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:02 pm

traehekat wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:you know what i'd love? to be accepted already. agh.
lol +1,000
I'll add another 1000 to that.

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:30 pm

juliusgirlie wrote:
Carrburitos - arguably the best burrito around. It's off Main st in Carrboro, so it's about 2 miles from campus
+1. Just ate there for the first time a few weeks ago...so good!

jcrojas

New

Post by jcrojas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:06 pm

I'll be there, overdressed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Places to avoid:
anywhere in, on, or near franklin street.

places to try:
anywhere in, on, or near raleigh

(i like the law school a lot, but have a general dislike for all things tarheel otherwise)

thestoryends

New

Post by thestoryends » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Bedsole wrote:Places to avoid:

places to try:

(i like the law school a lot, but have a general dislike for all things tarheel otherwise)
raleigh foodies are delish...
see all u dudes tomorrow, supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny. here's to hoping they talk about scholarship money. seriously!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:03 pm

thestoryends wrote:
see all u dudes tomorrow, supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny. here's to hoping they talk about scholarship money. seriously!
If they do happen to mention scholarships, would you guys mind letting those of us who can't make it know what they say?

eye

Bronze

Post by eye » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:30 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
thestoryends wrote:
If they do happen to mention scholarships, would you guys mind letting those of us who can't make it know what they say?

Absolutely not.

On the other hand, a nice lady told me that merit scholly's will be 'determined' before the end of the month.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:33 pm

eye wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
thestoryends wrote:

Absolutely not.

On the other hand, a nice lady told me that merit scholly's will be 'determined' before the end of the month.
Thanks for that. It would be nice to know if they plan to notify us before the end of the month in addition to making the determination before the end of the month. I, like many others on here, have to make deposits elsewhere if the scholarship money doesn't come through.

jbrowning82

Bronze

Post by jbrowning82 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:01 am

places to try:

GET OFF MY PLANE

Franklin Street is fantastic.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:44 am

jbrowning82 wrote:

places to try:

GET OFF MY PLANE

Franklin Street is fantastic.

wayyyy too many frat types...the amount of visors and sperry's is overpowering

bitlrc

Bronze

Post by bitlrc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:27 am

here's hoping for a nice round of acceptances today

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”