University of North Carolina 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
enter_sandman

New

Re: University of North Carolina 2013

Post by enter_sandman » Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 am

as stars burn wrote:Those that are getting in off the WL: Did you send it a LOCI? I figure its too late now to send one since I only plan on staying on the waitlist for a few more weeks.
I did not send one either.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Tue May 25, 2010 1:24 pm

enter_sandman wrote:
as stars burn wrote:Those that are getting in off the WL: Did you send it a LOCI? I figure its too late now to send one since I only plan on staying on the waitlist for a few more weeks.
It does not appear that they want LOCIs. It seems as if the school cares about filling the many different demographic concerns. Filling out that lengthy app is sign enough that you're interested. But it seems like LOCIs are actualy included in the "resisting contacting us" category

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue May 25, 2010 1:27 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
enter_sandman wrote:
It does not appear that they want LOCIs. It seems as if the school cares about filling the many different demographic concerns. Filling out that lengthy app is sign enough that you're interested. But it seems like LOCIs are actualy included in the "resisting contacting us" category
Hi, you wrote "It does not appear," and "It seems." I don't necessarily doubt your info., but where are you getting it from?
Tx

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Tue May 25, 2010 2:24 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
enter_sandman wrote:
Hi, you wrote "It does not appear," and "It seems." I don't necessarily doubt your info., but where are you getting it from?
Tx
I qualified my answers because I'm not entirely sure. One of the biggest things that I noticed was when UNC sent out the WL info, it included tips for applicants. All the advice was about updating awards/resume, adding LOR's, and sending in new transcripts. However, while many schools openly solicit LOCIs, UNC left it off the list. Considering UNC's request to leave their admissions office alone, I figured that it stands to reason that they're not too particularly interested in LOCIs. Additionally, anecdotal evidence from those familiar with the admissions process note that the school is mainly concerned with filling certain demographics and that the students who were admitted off of the WL did not submit LOCIs. All these things together strongly suggest that A) UNC doesn't care about LOCIs or even B), they don't want them.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue May 25, 2010 2:58 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
enter_sandman wrote:
Tx
I qualified my answers because I'm not entirely sure. One of the biggest things that I noticed was when UNC sent out the WL info, it included tips for applicants. All the advice was about updating awards/resume, adding LOR's, and sending in new transcripts. However, while many schools openly solicit LOCIs, UNC left it off the list. Considering UNC's request to leave their admissions office alone, I figured that it stands to reason that they're not too particularly interested in LOCIs. Additionally, anecdotal evidence from those familiar with the admissions process note that the school is mainly concerned with filling certain demographics and that the students who were admitted off of the WL did not submit LOCIs. All these things together strongly suggest that A) UNC doesn't care about LOCIs or even B), they don't want them.
Got it. I see your point. One would expect that they include info. about LOCIs in their waitlist letter. I also see how they may have not mentioned it, in light of their request that we fill out their mailed form. Receipt of that would suggest our interest. But I am not ready to conclude that that means that LOCIs are restricted, but rather are not required. I also don't know if admission off the waitlist occurs only in the event that one does not send a LOCI.
For those itching to do so, I emailed Dean States several weeks back, asking if I could send a LOCI + new LOR while I waited for the form to arrive. He said no prob, feel free to email those things, and he would add them to the file. So, there's that...
Not being adversarial here, btw, just trying to hash this out for those out there who feel that sending a LOCI would really help their cause.

However, their best bet may be just to email UNC office and ask them if it is OK to send one. The horse's mouth is always the best way to know.
Last edited by tommytahoe on Tue May 25, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Immediately after my waitllist I mailed in a loci and last week I sent dean States a quick email just saying I was still very interested in UNC. He responded back in minutes thanking me for letting them know I was still interested.

I don't think they are hostile to them but I do agree that they are looking at demographics much more :?

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:24 pm

Sent in all my stuff for the waitlist and definitely want to get in, but I heard secondhand from someone who knows someone graduating this year that she estimates that about 10% of the class have jobs right now :shock: , there is no way thats correct, right?

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Tue May 25, 2010 8:33 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Sent in all my stuff for the waitlist and definitely want to get in, but I heard secondhand from someone who knows someone graduating this year that she estimates that about 10% of the class have jobs right now :shock: , there is no way thats correct, right?
Maybe 10% of legal jobs. The others might have non-legal jobs.

I am sure that figure is exaggerated though. I did talk to a 2009 immigration attorney that said many of her friends still don't have jobs right now. That's 12 months already without a legal job :|

d-cannon

New

Post by d-cannon » Fri May 28, 2010 9:01 am

Paid both deposits yesterday. I hope to see all of you in the fall!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:13 pm

Congratulations on making a decision. Hope you and your family are happy with your choice.

let0927

New

Post by let0927 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Litigious wrote:How much is the UNC seat deposit #1 and when is the 2nd one due in the event they call and say "you're in"?

I assume they say you have 48 hours to get an envelope to them with a deposit of $X dollars?
I emailed Dean Gallo and he said that the deposit is $350.00 (taken from their website: http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/decis ... efault.asp) and he said they usually give you a couple of weeks to get the deposit in.

Litigious

New

Post by Litigious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:27 am

I emailed Dean Gallo and he said that the deposit is $350.00 (taken from their website: http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/decis ... efault.asp) and he said they usually give you a couple of weeks to get the deposit in.
P.J. Gallo is an admissions counselor, not the dean. Mr. Gallo works for the director of admissions, Ms. Jennifer Kott. The director of admissions works for the dean of admissions, Mr. Michael States.

Just an FYI.

let0927

New

Post by let0927 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Litigious wrote:
P.J. Gallo is an admissions counselor, not the dean. Mr. Gallo works for the director of admissions, Ms. Jennifer Kott. The director of admissions works for the dean of admissions, Mr. Michael States.

Just an FYI.
Thanks for the pointless correction my bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Maybe 10% of legal jobs. The others might have non-legal jobs.

I am sure that figure is exaggerated though. I did talk to a 2009 immigration attorney that said many of her friends still don't have jobs right now. That's 12 months already without a legal job :|
Total number of graduates 220
Employed nine months
after graduation 94.6%
http://www.law.unc.edu/documents/admiss ... heet09.pdf

I am 100% that number is exaggerated - I wouldn't stress about the jobs coming out of a strong state school like UNC. Especially since you wont be graduating for 3 years

TarHeel11

New

Post by TarHeel11 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:37 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Sent in all my stuff for the waitlist and definitely want to get in, but I heard secondhand from someone who knows someone graduating this year that she estimates that about 10% of the class have jobs right now :shock: , there is no way thats correct, right?
That is undoubtedly wrong. Of the 30 or so recent graduates that I know well enough to talk about their job situations with, all of them had some form of legal employment lined up before graduation. I'm sure there are some without jobs -- I know one '09 grad still looking -- but the figure is nowhere near 90 percent of the class.

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 pm

TarHeel11 wrote:
That is undoubtedly wrong. Of the 30 or so recent graduates that I know well enough to talk about their job situations with, all of them had some form of legal employment lined up before graduation. I'm sure there are some without jobs -- I know one '09 grad still looking -- but the figure is nowhere near 90 percent of the class.
Ok saw this post yesterday and thus asked a few people I knew at UNC Law and they all seemed to think 60% or a bit more was more along the real lines. Definitely helped assuage some fears on that front. Proves how much secondhand sources are worth...

tarheelz

New

Post by tarheelz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Hey guys - for anyone interested in a nice, big off campus house for cheap, PM me! I lived here in undergrad and the fam owns the same house me and some guys stayed at. It's about 10 mins. drive from campus with great bus service. We rent it for cheap and it's got a ton of amenities (e.g. pool table, free utilities, spacious, etc.).

Let me know!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:10 am

Withdrew from waitlist today. I. cannot. take. waiting. anymore.

slapchop

New

Post by slapchop » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Got in off the wait list a couple weeks ago. Decided once and for all to go with UNC. Look forward to meeting you all this fall.

Favor2010

New

Post by Favor2010 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Congrats on making a decision!
slapchop wrote:Got in off the wait list a couple weeks ago. Decided once and for all to go with UNC. Look forward to meeting you all this fall.

greatandge

New

Post by greatandge » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Hey, I just got in from the wait-list and am definitely going. I'm from the Philadelphia area and don't have a clue about housing. I'm definitely interested in rooming with someone if possible. It seems like it's cheaper to do things that way. Otherwise, does anyone have any good suggestions?

-Andrew

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kickthebcket

New

Post by kickthebcket » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:39 am

greatandge wrote:Hey, I just got in from the wait-list and am definitely going. I'm from the Philadelphia area and don't have a clue about housing. I'm definitely interested in rooming with someone if possible. It seems like it's cheaper to do things that way. Otherwise, does anyone have any good suggestions?
Hey congrats man. First of all, I suggest you join this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &start=100

Second, what is your GPA/LSAT?

greatandge

New

Post by greatandge » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:53 pm

3.5/165

rowing2009

New

Post by rowing2009 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Hello! Off the waitlist, (162/3.4/instate, for those who get curious)

Looking for a roommate, if anyone needs one still (will be joining facebook group as soon as they accept me :-D)

Looking at Glen Lennox/Alta Springs/Meadowmont. Live in Durham, so was able to scope them out - great options.

Excited to see you guys in the fall :-D.

rowing2009

New

Post by rowing2009 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:23 pm

rowing2009 wrote:Hello! Off the waitlist, (162/3.4/instate, for those who get curious)

Looking for a roommate, if anyone needs one still (will be joining facebook group as soon as they accept me :-D)

Looking at Glen Lennox/Alta Springs/Meadowmont. Live in Durham, so was able to scope them out - great options.

Excited to see you guys in the fall :-D.

Also, since some have asked, I was contacted Thursday, July 1, around 4pm. I was asked to give my decision back within 24 hours. Best of luck to everyone! (As an fyi, my deposit is due July 9, so I would assume there will be movement afterwards.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”