Military Law

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Asilvaesq

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Asilvaesq » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:31 am

Ruggedkind wrote:
Asilvaesq wrote:I'm seeking some advice from current or former Army JAG. I've applied to two boards now and haven't been offered a slot. I served in the Army for 10 years, E6, and was still in the Reserves when I got my first denial. I thought, perhaps, I would have a stronger application after 5 years of practice experience, but I just got a second denial. I honestly can't understand why I'm getting passed over. I have 10 years prior service, great NCOERs, good grades in school, 1L JAG internship, and now I have extensive experience. I want to get back in, but I just can't seem to crack the code. Are you familiar with any alternative routes to AD e.g. 27D to 27A or Reserve to Active? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


Asilvaesq, I was in a similar situation to you, (enlisted Army Reserve and was denied twice). I was just selected on my third attempt as a Reserve Primary. Each time I chose the combined application option.

Other than the common advice of keep applying, have you looked at the process for the various National Guards? It seems like they are conducting boards quarterly rather than annually, plus my understanding is you might be able to apply to multiple surrounding states to increase chances.

Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge about the likelihood of being able to drop a 368 to transfer from Reserve or NG to active (or AGR/mobilization opportunities)?



Thanks. I didn't know the NG boarded quarterly! I will definitely look in to this to see if this is a road to Active.

keong678

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby keong678 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:43 am

Ruggedkind wrote:
Asilvaesq wrote:I'm seeking some advice from current or former Army JAG. I've applied to two boards now and haven't been offered a slot. I served in the Army for 10 years, E6, and was still in the Reserves when I got my first denial. I thought, perhaps, I would have a stronger application after 5 years of practice experience, but I just got a second denial. I honestly can't understand why I'm getting passed over. I have 10 years prior service, great NCOERs, good grades in school, 1L JAG internship, and now I have extensive experience. I want to get back in, but I just can't seem to crack the code. Are you familiar with any alternative routes to AD e.g. 27D to 27A or Reserve to Active? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


Asilvaesq, I was in a similar situation to you, (enlisted Army Reserve and was denied twice). I was just selected on my third attempt as a Reserve Primary. Each time I chose the combined application option.

Other than the common advice of keep applying, have you looked at the process for the various National Guards? It seems like they are conducting boards quarterly rather than annually, plus my understanding is you might be able to apply to multiple surrounding states to increase chances.

Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge about the likelihood of being able to drop a 368 to transfer from Reserve or NG to active (or AGR/mobilization opportunities)?



I have experience with DD368. I was enlisted in the reserves, got accepted for AD JAG and am getting ready for January's training. You want to start that process ASAP. It took me 8-9 months to get DD368 signed and I was already a practicing attorney. I missed an opportunity to go to an earlier class (August) because it took too long. I constantly bothered my S1, battalion S1, actually ran into the BC during Annual Training and asked him to sign my DD368. You need strong support of your leadership and the S1 in getting it all together. Feel free to ask me questions.

The process goes

Unit commander -> Battalion commander -> Brigade Commander -> Group Commander -> one star General (approving authority)

It can go all the way up to the general level and be denied, which would really suck. Hopefully, yours will not be.

My timeline

Oct 2018 - told my leadership I'm applying for JAG
Late Dec 2018 - Accepted to AD / RC JAG
Day of acceptance - Emailed copy of the JAG selectees to S1, UA, Unit leadership
Jan 2019 - JARO signed DD368 forwarded to my unit
Feb 2019 - Unit Commander signed moved it up to Battalion
Late July 2019 - BC signed during AT / JARO sent a memorandum asking them to hurry up
August 2019 - missed JAOBC because DD368 wasn't signed
August 2019 - S1 tracked down Brigade commander and had her sign
Late August - S1 personally brought the files to the Group commander, then to the 1 star general who signed and had it ready.


* I constantly checked with my S1 and leadership about dd368. I actually helped out my S1 with some legal issues in the past, so we were really cool. Good relationship with your S1 goes a long way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:42 am

keong678 wrote:
Ruggedkind wrote:
Asilvaesq wrote:I have experience with DD368. I was enlisted in the reserves, got accepted for AD JAG and am getting ready for January's training. You want to start that process ASAP. It took me 8-9 months to get DD368 signed and I was already a practicing attorney. I missed an opportunity to go to an earlier class (August) because it took too long. I constantly bothered my S1, battalion S1, actually ran into the BC during Annual Training and asked him to sign my DD368. You need strong support of your leadership and the S1 in getting it all together. Feel free to ask me questions.

The process goes

Unit commander -> Battalion commander -> Brigade Commander -> Group Commander -> one star General (approving authority)

It can go all the way up to the general level and be denied, which would really suck. Hopefully, yours will not be.

My timeline

Oct 2018 - told my leadership I'm applying for JAG
Late Dec 2018 - Accepted to AD / RC JAG
Day of acceptance - Emailed copy of the JAG selectees to S1, UA, Unit leadership
Jan 2019 - JARO signed DD368 forwarded to my unit
Feb 2019 - Unit Commander signed moved it up to Battalion
Late July 2019 - BC signed during AT / JARO sent a memorandum asking them to hurry up
August 2019 - missed JAOBC because DD368 wasn't signed
August 2019 - S1 tracked down Brigade commander and had her sign
Late August - S1 personally brought the files to the Group commander, then to the 1 star general who signed and had it ready.


* I constantly checked with my S1 and leadership about dd368. I actually helped out my S1 with some legal issues in the past, so we were really cool. Good relationship with your S1 goes a long way.



Thanks for the insight. I saw you discussing this a while back on the thread and am glad to see you were able to complete the 368 process. Good luck at JAOBC!

User avatar
chadwickbradshaw

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby chadwickbradshaw » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:55 am

Orders have been sent out for Army AD.

Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:25 pm

chadwickbradshaw wrote:Orders have been sent out for Army AD.


Did you get them through your email? I did not receive anything yet..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chadwickbradshaw wrote:Orders have been sent out for Army AD.


Did you get them through your email? I did not receive anything yet..


Did not receive them either. I guess I'll have to wait till the end of the day today. Did anyone else receive their orders?

User avatar
chadwickbradshaw

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby chadwickbradshaw » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:12 pm

I received an email a couple of hours ago. The email included a link to the DOD Safe where I downloaded the orders and I believe the commission.

Asilvaesq

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Asilvaesq » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:07 pm

keong678 wrote:
Ruggedkind wrote:
Asilvaesq wrote:I'm seeking some advice from current or former Army JAG. I've applied to two boards now and haven't been offered a slot. I served in the Army for 10 years, E6, and was still in the Reserves when I got my first denial. I thought, perhaps, I would have a stronger application after 5 years of practice experience, but I just got a second denial. I honestly can't understand why I'm getting passed over. I have 10 years prior service, great NCOERs, good grades in school, 1L JAG internship, and now I have extensive experience. I want to get back in, but I just can't seem to crack the code. Are you familiar with any alternative routes to AD e.g. 27D to 27A or Reserve to Active? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


Asilvaesq, I was in a similar situation to you, (enlisted Army Reserve and was denied twice). I was just selected on my third attempt as a Reserve Primary. Each time I chose the combined application option.

Other than the common advice of keep applying, have you looked at the process for the various National Guards? It seems like they are conducting boards quarterly rather than annually, plus my understanding is you might be able to apply to multiple surrounding states to increase chances.

Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge about the likelihood of being able to drop a 368 to transfer from Reserve or NG to active (or AGR/mobilization opportunities)?



Thanks for the info. I'm curious about whether there is anyone on this thread who went in as Guard or Reserve JAG and transferred to Active.


I have experience with DD368. I was enlisted in the reserves, got accepted for AD JAG and am getting ready for January's training. You want to start that process ASAP. It took me 8-9 months to get DD368 signed and I was already a practicing attorney. I missed an opportunity to go to an earlier class (August) because it took too long. I constantly bothered my S1, battalion S1, actually ran into the BC during Annual Training and asked him to sign my DD368. You need strong support of your leadership and the S1 in getting it all together. Feel free to ask me questions.

The process goes

Unit commander -> Battalion commander -> Brigade Commander -> Group Commander -> one star General (approving authority)

It can go all the way up to the general level and be denied, which would really suck. Hopefully, yours will not be.

My timeline

Oct 2018 - told my leadership I'm applying for JAG
Late Dec 2018 - Accepted to AD / RC JAG
Day of acceptance - Emailed copy of the JAG selectees to S1, UA, Unit leadership
Jan 2019 - JARO signed DD368 forwarded to my unit
Feb 2019 - Unit Commander signed moved it up to Battalion
Late July 2019 - BC signed during AT / JARO sent a memorandum asking them to hurry up
August 2019 - missed JAOBC because DD368 wasn't signed
August 2019 - S1 tracked down Brigade commander and had her sign
Late August - S1 personally brought the files to the Group commander, then to the 1 star general who signed and had it ready.


* I constantly checked with my S1 and leadership about dd368. I actually helped out my S1 with some legal issues in the past, so we were really cool. Good relationship with your S1 goes a long way.

mcq_sou_suls

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mcq_sou_suls » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Anyone going to the 210th JAOBC here that can shed some light/guidance on how to arrange travel through CWT SATO?

I went to the website per the instructions in the student handbook, but the website and the handbook don't explain where to go from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:39 pm

mcq_sou_suls wrote:Anyone going to the 210th JAOBC here that can shed some light/guidance on how to arrange travel through CWT SATO?

I went to the website per the instructions in the student handbook, but the website and the handbook don't explain where to go from there.


Do you have government travel card? I think they will give us more detail as we get closer to the class date. Did you get your orders yet?

mcq_sou_suls

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mcq_sou_suls » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mcq_sou_suls wrote:Anyone going to the 210th JAOBC here that can shed some light/guidance on how to arrange travel through CWT SATO?

I went to the website per the instructions in the student handbook, but the website and the handbook don't explain where to go from there.


Do you have government travel card? I think they will give us more detail as we get closer to the class date. Did you get your orders yet?


Sorry for not clarifying! I received my orders on Friday via email that had a DOD Safe link.

keong678

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby keong678 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:04 pm

mcq_sou_suls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mcq_sou_suls wrote:Anyone going to the 210th JAOBC here that can shed some light/guidance on how to arrange travel through CWT SATO?

I went to the website per the instructions in the student handbook, but the website and the handbook don't explain where to go from there.


Do you have government travel card? I think they will give us more detail as we get closer to the class date. Did you get your orders yet?


Sorry for not clarifying! I received my orders on Friday via email that had a DOD Safe link.



I think they would give us further instructions to this. Will you be flying in?

on another note, I have not received my orders. Did CPT MacDonald give any further instructions with the orders? Sorta worried that I still didn't get mine

Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:15 am

keong678 wrote:
mcq_sou_suls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mcq_sou_suls wrote:Anyone going to the 210th JAOBC here that can shed some light/guidance on how to arrange travel through CWT SATO?

I went to the website per the instructions in the student handbook, but the website and the handbook don't explain where to go from there.


Do you have government travel card? I think they will give us more detail as we get closer to the class date. Did you get your orders yet?


Sorry for not clarifying! I received my orders on Friday via email that had a DOD Safe link.



I think they would give us further instructions to this. Will you be flying in?

on another note, I have not received my orders. Did CPT MacDonald give any further instructions with the orders? Sorta worried that I still didn't get mine


I also received orders on Friday (DoD safe email from Monica Talley). Early morning. The message attached to it strongly mentioned scheduling travel to DCC if not driving and bringing a POV.

About scheduling travel, the handbook mentions a phone number to call. I’d try that if the website isn’t helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
chadwickbradshaw

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby chadwickbradshaw » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:09 pm

For those of you in 210, what are you guys doing about shipping your household goods? I know we provided an address in addition to our permanent address where all of our stuff will be shipped from, but does anyone know how exactly that process works?

Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:29 pm

Hello, I am new to the forum and topic. I am also getting ready for the 210th JAOBC, but didn’t hear anything yet.

Does anyone know if AR Selects orders went out?

If I am not in the January class, is the next class in March? I read the tentative class start dates were January, March, and August from one of the many emails I received.

Good luck to all!

Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello, I am new to the forum and topic. I am also getting ready for the 210th JAOBC, but didn’t hear anything yet.

Does anyone know if AR Selects orders went out?

If I am not in the January class, is the next class in March? I read the tentative class start dates were January, March, and August from one of the many emails I received.

Good luck to all!


What was the last communication that you had with JARO? Did you get info about the conference call for 210 jaobc? I am AD so Im not so sure about AR part of the process but I would assume that if you were seated for the 210th jaobc you should have received welcome packet for it.

fyi, I have not received orders for DCC yet as AD select but was told I was seated for Jan class.

C Rockwell

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:24 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby C Rockwell » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello, I am new to the forum and topic. I am also getting ready for the 210th JAOBC, but didn’t hear anything yet.

Does anyone know if AR Selects orders went out?

If I am not in the January class, is the next class in March? I read the tentative class start dates were January, March, and August from one of the many emails I received.

Good luck to all!


What was the last communication that you had with JARO? Did you get info about the conference call for 210 jaobc? I am AD so Im not so sure about AR part of the process but I would assume that if you were seated for the 210th jaobc you should have received welcome packet for it.

fyi, I have not received orders for DCC yet as AD select but was told I was seated for Jan class.


I was part of the conference call and received the welcome letter and packet. I was told I could expect to be in the January class for planning purposes, but I have not received any concrete confirmation from the AR accessions team.

I reached out on Friday but no response yet. I’m just wondering if anyone on the AR side received orders.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:27 pm

C Rockwell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello, I am new to the forum and topic. I am also getting ready for the 210th JAOBC, but didn’t hear anything yet.

Does anyone know if AR Selects orders went out?

If I am not in the January class, is the next class in March? I read the tentative class start dates were January, March, and August from one of the many emails I received.

Good luck to all!


What was the last communication that you had with JARO? Did you get info about the conference call for 210 jaobc? I am AD so Im not so sure about AR part of the process but I would assume that if you were seated for the 210th jaobc you should have received welcome packet for it.

fyi, I have not received orders for DCC yet as AD select but was told I was seated for Jan class.


I was part of the conference call and received the welcome letter and packet. I was told I could expect to be in the January class for planning purposes, but I have not received any concrete confirmation from the AR accessions team.

I reached out on Friday but no response yet. I’m just wondering if anyone on the AR side received orders.



I have not been able to reach anyone at JARO this week. It might be that they are on holiday block leave. That might be the issue. I'm sure they are still working on the orders since they have a lot on hands. I would not worry too much. Good luck to you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
C Rockwell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello, I am new to the forum and topic. I am also getting ready for the 210th JAOBC, but didn’t hear anything yet.

Does anyone know if AR Selects orders went out?

If I am not in the January class, is the next class in March? I read the tentative class start dates were January, March, and August from one of the many emails I received.

Good luck to all!


What was the last communication that you had with JARO? Did you get info about the conference call for 210 jaobc? I am AD so Im not so sure about AR part of the process but I would assume that if you were seated for the 210th jaobc you should have received welcome packet for it.

fyi, I have not received orders for DCC yet as AD select but was told I was seated for Jan class.


I was part of the conference call and received the welcome letter and packet. I was told I could expect to be in the January class for planning purposes, but I have not received any concrete confirmation from the AR accessions team.

I reached out on Friday but no response yet. I’m just wondering if anyone on the AR side received orders.



I have not been able to reach anyone at JARO this week. It might be that they are on holiday block leave. That might be the issue. I'm sure they are still working on the orders since they have a lot on hands. I would not worry too much. Good luck to you!



anybody able to reach JARO? I cannot seem to reach them.

MrSam

Bronze
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am

Re: Military Law

Postby MrSam » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:09 am

Hey all,

Quick question (hopefully) about first duty stations (Army AD): Exactly how much "say" do we have in where we end up? I understand that we'll receive a list of available duty stations, and are asked to rank our top 8, but that's about all I know with respect to that.

I'm currently deciding between Army AD and reserves (received an offer for both, and have until Friday to decide). My fiance is about to graduate medical school, and ideally, we'd like to end up in CA, DC, VA, TX, or NY. We have family in some of those states, and job opportunities for her would be plentiful. What are my odds of ending up in one of those states?

Part of me is considered reserves, but would probably regret not going AD.

Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:54 pm

All those attending the 210th JAOBC, I created a FB group so we all could talk more about the course without overwhelming this forum. Please join!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:55 pm

MrSam wrote:Hey all,

Quick question (hopefully) about first duty stations (Army AD): Exactly how much "say" do we have in where we end up? I understand that we'll receive a list of available duty stations, and are asked to rank our top 8, but that's about all I know with respect to that.

I'm currently deciding between Army AD and reserves (received an offer for both, and have until Friday to decide). My fiance is about to graduate medical school, and ideally, we'd like to end up in CA, DC, VA, TX, or NY. We have family in some of those states, and job opportunities for her would be plentiful. What are my odds of ending up in one of those states?

Part of me is considered reserves, but would probably regret not going AD.


Well if you put Fort Irwin on your list, you'll almost certainly get it and can stay in CA that way as no one wants to go there...

mcq_sou_suls

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mcq_sou_suls » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
keong678 wrote:
mcq_sou_suls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mcq_sou_suls wrote:Anyone going to the 210th JAOBC here that can shed some light/guidance on how to arrange travel through CWT SATO?

I went to the website per the instructions in the student handbook, but the website and the handbook don't explain where to go from there.


Do you have government travel card? I think they will give us more detail as we get closer to the class date. Did you get your orders yet?


Sorry for not clarifying! I received my orders on Friday via email that had a DOD Safe link.



I think they would give us further instructions to this. Will you be flying in?

on another note, I have not received my orders. Did CPT MacDonald give any further instructions with the orders? Sorta worried that I still didn't get mine


I also received orders on Friday (DoD safe email from Monica Talley). Early morning. The message attached to it strongly mentioned scheduling travel to DCC if not driving and bringing a POV.

About scheduling travel, the handbook mentions a phone number to call. I’d try that if the website isn’t helpful.


I called the number and scheduled a flight in 5 minutes. Much more helpful compared the website! However, I only scheduled the flight to Fort Benning because CWT Sato suggested waiting to schedule the Charlottesville flight once we confirm when we are released from Fort Benning.

Anonymous User
Posts: 342551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:28 am

Edited. Found the answer
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrSam

Bronze
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am

Re: Military Law

Postby MrSam » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
MrSam wrote:Hey all,

Quick question (hopefully) about first duty stations (Army AD): Exactly how much "say" do we have in where we end up? I understand that we'll receive a list of available duty stations, and are asked to rank our top 8, but that's about all I know with respect to that.

I'm currently deciding between Army AD and reserves (received an offer for both, and have until Friday to decide). My fiance is about to graduate medical school, and ideally, we'd like to end up in CA, DC, VA, TX, or NY. We have family in some of those states, and job opportunities for her would be plentiful. What are my odds of ending up in one of those states?

Part of me is considered reserves, but would probably regret not going AD.


Well if you put Fort Irwin on your list, you'll almost certainly get it and can stay in CA that way as no one wants to go there...


I've heard the rumors. I actually wouldn't mind Irwin too much, but how likely is it to be one of the bases listed? It would be great to end up in DC/VA/MD, but was told by a JAG buddy that my odds of that are slim to none. I'm guessing there's no way to figure out which bases will be listed on the list of available bases to chose from.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!




Return to “Public Interest & Government?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.