Military Law

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For Army JAG, how does the security clearance process work in terms of timeline?

Do you know if you're cleared before heading off to DCC or is there a chance that you finish DCC and find out that your clearance is denied?

it's the latter, you would get an interim, then go through clearance. You can find out that clearance is denied later down the road. It's only secret level clearance so I wouldn't worry too much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FY2019 Army JAG class: did everyone just receive an email from JARO about what seems like an apology of how the accessions process is going? Curious if anyone had any insight if there are issues getting the next class (January) going or if there are a large number of medical clearances held up.

I did. I think they just wanted to let us know about the monthly emails and magazines they will be handing out. I do believe it would be helpful for better communication on the overall process and what the next step would be. I'm pretty sure they have enough people for the January class. I am also sure they have large number of medical clearances, it's nothing JAG can do on their part.

hkhmc36

New

Postby hkhmc36 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:01 pm

MeganMarkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, I am going to be submitting my application for Navy SP program this evening. Which means I am of course second guessing everything. My question is how much should I include in the remarks section? Should I treat it as a way to tell my life story? Should it be a brief summary of some challenges I have overcome?

I have had an interesting path with ups and downs, overcoming many hardships to get where I am, but I touched most of that in my motivational statement.

I just am wondering if less is more in this case. Should I let my application ride on my motivational statement and strength of my interview.

For the Air Force GLP program I submitted a 3 page addendum. I feel like that may have been a mistake. Is there such a thing as being to candid if it results in a long attachment that was not requested?

The insight I got from my internship was that the motivational statement for the Navy isn't as influential in their decision making as other parts of the application. Just make sure it's clean and concise. It falls more into the bucket of showing that you can follow directions and are professional, similar to the photo requirement. Just make sure you do it and do it within confines of the application instructions.

As others have noted, the most important aspect is your interview and then feedback from your internship, if you had one.

I applied Fall 19 SP as well. I heard that interview, internship eval, and LSAT are most important, of course along with the desire to serve and do public interest law. They want applicants who have a direct interest in this career, not someone who is applying because it is their fallback option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 am

I’m up to my 3rd board (waiting on November board results) and did an externship while in law school. I’ve been denied by the board 2xs. I come to the realization it has to be either my previous drug (2018) or some business debts I had in 2014. Because other than that, I check off all the other boxes (good Extern evaluation, leadership, extra curricular activities, within standard weight limit, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Active Army. Anxiously waiting to see whether I have been seated for January 2020 class. Anybody have insider info for when we will be notified?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Active Army. Anxiously waiting to see whether I have been seated for January 2020 class. Anybody have insider info for when we will be notified?

Not insider, but was told by JARO that those of us seated for January should be getting the preferences list email around the 1st or 2nd week of November.

You could just shoot an email or call up Cpt. MacDonald and see how that’s progressing. Let us know if you find out anything.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m up to my 3rd board (waiting on November board results) and did an externship while in law school. I’ve been denied by the board 2xs. I come to the realization it has to be either my previous drug (2018) or some business debts I had in 2014. Because other than that, I check off all the other boxes (good Extern evaluation, leadership, extra curricular activities, within standard weight limit, etc.

Recent drug use is going to be a pretty tough hurdle to surmount absent some pretty compelling mitigating or other circumstances.

YutLaw

New

Postby YutLaw » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:04 pm

For Current or Former Army JAG Reservists (or anyone with accurate second-hand info)-

I have been hearing from one of my bosses (State Gov't Law) that every person who has left our office to become a JAG Reservist has been given orders to somewhere else and has never returned. I am prior active duty so, I understand the commitment to service and how the military works. I also know that my job would be protected by Federal Law. I just don't have any experience in the reserves and don't know what to expect after training other than "1 weekend per month and 2 weeks per year". My questions are:

What is the likelihood of being mobilized without asking to be or being given unrequested orders to anywhere except your local reserve station immediately following completion of training?

How do Reserve JA's select a duty station?

Any information would be very helpful!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Those who are AD Army and waiting: have you completed or submitted your SF86/eQIP/fingerprinting stuff yet? I just got notification that the process is starting for me today and wanted to get a gauge if I’m behind or in the same boat as everyone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those who are AD Army and waiting: have you completed or submitted your SF86/eQIP/fingerprinting stuff yet? I just got notification that the process is starting for me today and wanted to get a gauge if I’m behind or in the same boat as everyone else.

How did you get the notification? I did not get any notification.. did they let you know you were seated for the January class?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those who are AD Army and waiting: have you completed or submitted your SF86/eQIP/fingerprinting stuff yet? I just got notification that the process is starting for me today and wanted to get a gauge if I’m behind or in the same boat as everyone else.

How did you get the notification? I did not get any notification.. did they let you know you were seated for the January class?

I got an eQIP email. It’s the automated one that is sent when you start the typical security clearance process (if you’ve ever had to do one before). I sent in my security clearance worksheet to JARO at the beginning of Oct. so I’m assuming this is a continuation of that process.

I don’t have anything in regards to the January class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I got an eQIP email. It’s the automated one that is sent when you start the typical security clearance process (if you’ve ever had to do one before). I sent in my security clearance worksheet to JARO at the beginning of Oct. so I’m assuming this is a continuation of that process.

I don’t have anything in regards to the January class.

When I through mine about three years ago for ts/sci, I did all mine by hand and turned it in so I have no experience on eQIP email. Thanks for answering my question. I did try to call JARO today but it seemed like CPT MacDonald was very busy and wasn't at his desk. I assume it has to do with securing seats for January class. I hope we get notified soon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Anyone get any acceptance phone calls for the DAP for AF Jag? November 1 was the deadline to have an interview, ao I imagine the board I meeting this week for candidates.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get any acceptance phone calls for the DAP for AF Jag? November 1 was the deadline to have an interview, ao I imagine the board I meeting this week for candidates.

I would expect the calls after veteran's day. Maybe late next week?

FlippyFloppy

New

Postby FlippyFloppy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get any acceptance phone calls for the DAP for AF Jag? November 1 was the deadline to have an interview, ao I imagine the board I meeting this week for candidates.

From this thread’s history, I wouldn’t expect it for another 2-3 weeks. It looks like they went out thanksgiving week last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Active Army. Anxiously waiting to see whether I have been seated for January 2020 class. Anybody have insider info for when we will be notified?

Not insider, but was told by JARO that those of us seated for January should be getting the preferences list email around the 1st or 2nd week of November.

You could just shoot an email or call up Cpt. MacDonald and see how that’s progressing. Let us know if you find out anything.

Called JARO and was told that we will be getting assignment location sheet next week. (most likely)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:38 am

I've never known him to answer his phone and it does not have voicemail.

The best way to contact Cpt. MacDonald is email from my experience.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Called JARO and was told that we will be getting assignment location sheet next week. (most likely)

Anybody got an update on this? I am guessing since 11th was a holiday they just got back to work today. With the DCC in two months, it seems really late in the game to still be in the dark for everything as far as being seated and assignments and all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody got an update on this? I am guessing since 11th was a holiday they just got back to work today. With the DCC in two months, it seems really late in the game to still be in the dark for everything as far as being seated and assignments and all.

Well, last week it was this week to get the preference list — so my expectation is to hear something Thursday or Friday.

As far as I’ve seen in the past, this schedule is normal. Preference list goes out 2 months before DCC. Base assignments go out 1 month prior to DCC.

I’m with you though on being sick of waiting. 13 months definitely tries one’s patience.

Trying to do my fingerprints right now but they didn’t send me a code for the vendor I can use (FieldPrint) and the guy who is supposed to be our contact at the JAG school (D.O. McIntosh) doesn’t answer emails or have a phone#. Cool.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:05 pm

YutLaw wrote:For Current or Former Army JAG Reservists (or anyone with accurate second-hand info)-

I have been hearing from one of my bosses (State Gov't Law) that every person who has left our office to become a JAG Reservist has been given orders to somewhere else and has never returned. I am prior active duty so, I understand the commitment to service and how the military works. I also know that my job would be protected by Federal Law. I just don't have any experience in the reserves and don't know what to expect after training other than "1 weekend per month and 2 weeks per year". My questions are:

What is the likelihood of being mobilized without asking to be or being given unrequested orders to anywhere except your local reserve station immediately following completion of training?

How do Reserve JA's select a duty station?

Any information would be very helpful!

You will likely be assigned to the Reserve unit closest to your home of record. After training, the odds of being involuntarily sent somewhere (for more than a week or two) are relatively low. There are certain Reserve units that are assigned to respond to certain areas of operation if called, but these en masse involuntary mobilizations have not actually happened since the current structure has been in place. I think the last time there were any large-scale Reserve JAG mobilizations was in the 2-3 years immediately following 9/11. The thing that does happen often, however, is that many people volunteer for year long mobilizations right after DCC/JAOBC. Sometimes they also try to assess onto Active Duty. In my experience, there tends to really only be two types of people in the Reserve: 1. those who just do their one weekend and 2 weeks (and a few other things that come up throughout the year) or 2. those who volunteer for EVERYTHING. I feel that it is somewhat rare to find someone in between, but that is where I aim to be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Army base assignments went out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Conster31

New

Postby Conster31 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Army base assignments went out.

Got the email regarding bases/ duty stations for AD Army today. Check quick as preference lists are due back by Thursday

lawstudent12121274

New

Postby lawstudent12121274 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Does anyone from usaf DAP know when November board results will be released? Has anyone heard anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:41 pm

lawstudent12121274 wrote:Does anyone from usaf DAP know when November board results will be released? Has anyone heard anything?

For the September board, the update email came out on Sep 6, calls were made about a week later, and then rejection emails were sent out about 2 weeks after. Update email just came out for november, so I would imagine calls are going out next week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:44 pm

lawstudent12121274 wrote:Does anyone from usaf DAP know when November board results will be released? Has anyone heard anything?

This thread tends to blow up when AF DAP gets released, so its pretty safe to assume it hasn’t been released yet. Last year’s November Board results went out around thanksgiving week, so i assume late next week is most likely.

Im stuck in a horrendous job and this would be the quickest and cleanest way out, so I’m pretty anxiously myself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Public Interest & Government?