Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawstudent12121274 wrote:Does anyone from usaf DAP know when November board results will be released? Has anyone heard anything?
This thread tends to blow up when AF DAP gets released, so its pretty safe to assume it hasn’t been released yet. Last year’s November Board results went out around thanksgiving week, so i assume late next week is most likely.

Im stuck in a horrendous job and this would be the quickest and cleanest way out, so I’m pretty anxiously myself.
Me too. It would be nice to know the future is looking better than my present job lmao

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawstudent12121274 wrote:Does anyone from usaf DAP know when November board results will be released? Has anyone heard anything?
This thread tends to blow up when AF DAP gets released, so its pretty safe to assume it hasn’t been released yet. Last year’s November Board results went out around thanksgiving week, so i assume late next week is most likely.

Im stuck in a horrendous job and this would be the quickest and cleanest way out, so I’m pretty anxiously myself.
Me too. It would be nice to know the future is looking better than my present job lmao
As has been noted almost every year this thread has existed: the boards do not necessarily convene on the very first day of the month -- sometimes they get pushed a week or two later. And then the results of the board along with recommendations have to make their way all the way to TJAG for approval. There are a lot of important and busy people involved in the process and things are not going to turn on a dime.

The anxiety awaiting results is natural, we've all been there. But there is no sense in needlessly marinating in that anxiety hoping this is the year the timeline magically defies expectations. Maybe it will be around Thanksgiving, maybe it will be after. For sure folks on this thread will chime in once calls start going out.

Serenity now and the best of luck to you all.

Mckayarizona

New

Post by Mckayarizona » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:40 pm

Calls for AF DAP have started. I just got the call from my local SJA and found out I was selected. They said I’d here from JAX this week to get the paperwork and hear about potential assignments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm

For AF DAP, last year the calls went out on the 20th and 21st and the rejection email went out on the 28th. Not sure why they waited so long for the email, doesn't look like anyone received calls between the 21st and the 28th. In any case, if the above post is correct, be on the lookout for a call today or tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Mckayarizona wrote:Calls for AF DAP have started. I just got the call from my local SJA and found out I was selected. They said I’d here from JAX this week to get the paperwork and hear about potential assignments.
Very cool and congrats! Is it true that you won’t know about your assignment until you are already in your OTS towards the end? Has anyone known of someone who actually pulls out from commissioning because the place they are being sent is not what they wanted? Or do they let you know assignments prior to being commissioned? (Asking for USAF if that matters).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Very cool and congrats! Is it true that you won’t know about your assignment until you are already in your OTS towards the end? Has anyone known of someone who actually pulls out from commissioning because the place they are being sent is not what they wanted? Or do they let you know assignments prior to being commissioned? (Asking for USAF if that matters).
In the past, the Air Force would let you know where your first base would be at about the same time they tell you when you would go to OTS. They would tell you this before sending you the commissioning oath to sign. So anyone could back out before incurring any commitment or starting training. If you were selected as a law student, you wouldn't find any of this out until you had your bar exam results.

If this has changed, I would be interested to find out (and saddened for future accessions).

JerseyJag

New

Post by JerseyJag » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 am

Long time lurker here. Got the call yesterday that I was accepted to AF DAP. It's definitely still sinking in but I'm pretty ecstatic. Thank you so much PB for being the go-to resource in this thread. I've skimmed most of the 358 pages here and you provided some really great insight. Seriously, thank you.

I do have one question though. I wasn't expecting to be picked up by AF and as a result am currently about 1/3 through the Coast Guard JAG application. Interestingly, CG has you go through MEPS before the board considers your application. Would going through MEPS now rather than this time next year be beneficial to me in terms of location assignment?

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:11 pm

howell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Very cool and congrats! Is it true that you won’t know about your assignment until you are already in your OTS towards the end? Has anyone known of someone who actually pulls out from commissioning because the place they are being sent is not what they wanted? Or do they let you know assignments prior to being commissioned? (Asking for USAF if that matters).
In the past, the Air Force would let you know where your first base would be at about the same time they tell you when you would go to OTS. They would tell you this before sending you the commissioning oath to sign. So anyone could back out before incurring any commitment or starting training. If you were selected as a law student, you wouldn't find any of this out until you had your bar exam results.

If this has changed, I would be interested to find out (and saddened for future accessions).
This is still the same. After you pass medical and the Bar the accessions office will send you an assignment preference sheet for you to fill out. I found out my first duty station (JBER) a couple days after I turned it in and well before I'm scheduled to leave for OTS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 pm

What are the locations to which you might be sent if you’re selected for a remote PCS with USAF JAG?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are the locations to which you might be sent if you’re selected for a remote PCS with USAF JAG?
Some of these might have changed:

Osan
Kunsan
Incirlik
Lajes Field

I think that's it, but I could be forgetting some. You almost certainly won't go to any of these for your first assignment, but they are possible for a second assignment.

Oh, and Al Udeid too. Most people are deployed there, but the SJA position is a 1- or 2-year remote assignment.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:39 pm

howell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are the locations to which you might be sent if you’re selected for a remote PCS with USAF JAG?
Some of these might have changed:

Osan
Kunsan
Incirlik
Lajes Field

I think that's it, but I could be forgetting some. You almost certainly won't go to any of these for your first assignment, but they are possible for a second assignment.

Oh, and Al Udeid too. Most people are deployed there, but the SJA position is a 1- or 2-year remote assignment.
For you newbies, a remote assignment generally means at least a 1 year tour somewhere you are going unaccompanied (dependents do not go with you) and is distinct from a deployment.

Depending on the assignment to Osan, you can sometimes elect for a 2 year tour in which dependents are then authorized - in that situation I am not clear if it is still a "remote" tour as a term of art or not.

Howell hit all the ones I am familiar with. Al Udied also has two "Expeditionary ADC" positions that likely would be considered remotes. There's an O-5 SJA billet at the 426 ABS in Stavanger, Norway that I think is a technically a remote but I am not certain.

The 821 ABG at Thule AB in Greenland does not have a JAG as far as I know.

Quasar

New

Post by Quasar » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:20 pm

howell wrote:

Currently at OTS and this is still the way it's done. I found out what my first assignment was two weeks before leaving for Maxwell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:24 pm

AD Army here. Submitted base preferences on Nov 14 deadline. JARO emailed today and gave my base assignment. It is “penciled” in, but still excited! Also pleasantly surprised they sent them out so soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:AD Army here. Submitted base preferences on Nov 14 deadline. JARO emailed today and gave my base assignment. It is “penciled” in, but still excited! Also pleasantly surprised they sent them out so soon.
Same. I got mine also. Super excited to get them this early.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:34 am

Active Duty Army (210th JAOBC)

Did you all receive anything in regards to security clearance? I only received a mass email from CPT MacDonald that said it might be delayed for those who just initiated security clearance process but other than that I didn't receive anything. I don't know what triggers "initiation" Can somebody clear this up for me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:44 pm

I'm still working my way through the thread so I apologize if these questions have already been answered, but for AF OYCP, does anyone know if there is any flexibility for when you attend FT over the summer? I had previously committed to a summer associate position before JAG was on my radar but now am very set on pursuing JAG and could potentially split my summer with the firm if I could do an early or late FT.

Assuming I can't make OYCP work or am not selected, does anyone know if it's acceptable to apply to the Navy spring boards as well as the AF September boards? Or would you have to commit to the Navy before you would hear back from the AF?

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:37 pm

Just received my “regrets” email that I wasn’t selected. This has has been my 3rd time sending my packet in for USAF DAP, with a full time externship with them.

I doubt I will send in another packet. Depending if I get offered by DOJ HP, I may go through the reservist route once I have a couple years under the belt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawstudent12121274

New

Post by lawstudent12121274 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Just got the automated email from USAF JAG. I didn't get in. Does anyone have any advice for reapplying / should I reapply for the April DAP Board?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Whelp, rejection emails for AF just went out. Honestly, not really sure what I can do better. Top third in my class, moot/LR, two tours enlisted in the Air Force. Probably about time to start looking at a different career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Whelp, rejection emails for AF just went out. Honestly, not really sure what I can do better. Top third in my class, moot/LR, two tours enlisted in the Air Force. Probably about time to start looking at a different career.

Did you ever consider different branches?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm still working my way through the thread so I apologize if these questions have already been answered, but for AF OYCP, does anyone know if there is any flexibility for when you attend FT over the summer? I had previously committed to a summer associate position before JAG was on my radar but now am very set on pursuing JAG and could potentially split my summer with the firm if I could do an early or late FT.

Assuming I can't make OYCP work or am not selected, does anyone know if it's acceptable to apply to the Navy spring boards as well as the AF September boards? Or would you have to commit to the Navy before you would hear back from the AF?

Thank you!
I can only speak to the first part of your post - re: FT. I commissioned through OYCP this past may and will be going on active duty shortly. You will have no say in what dates you attend FT. They have you go down a week longer than other cadets so you can learn the basics in a course called FTAP. During FTAP they try to teach you everything the other 4 year cadets learned over the past 2 years. FTAP only occurs once each summer - the week before MAX 3.

I was in a similar situation - I had a summer gig which I had accepted prior to leaning I had been accepted to OYCP. My employer allowed me to take a 3 week break (1 week for FTAP, 2 weeks for FT) in the middle of my internship. If JAG is what you want to do, and you are accepted for OYCP, I highly recommend accepting the OYCP slot and embracing the suck. The guaranteed position is nice, it makes 3L a lot easier and less stressful. Just my two cents.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:41 pm

For those of you who received rejection emails the only thing I can tell you is to keep trying and do everything to improve your package. I was selected for OYCP 2 years ago.

- Of the 12 of us that were selected, 10 of us had a substantial amount of court room experience (internships/externships with City/County/US attorneys' offices which allowed us to appear on the record),

-most of us were median or higher in class ranking, school ranking didn't matter as much (people came from schools of all tiers).

-Personal statement that explains not only why you want to be a JA but why you want to be an officer in general is helpful.

-If you've seen multiple boards, consider getting a new SJA interview.

-Max out the LORs and make sure they speak to your ability as a leader, not just a lawyer.

This may not be useful to everyone, but I hope it helps at least one person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Active Duty Army (210th JAOBC)

Did you all receive anything in regards to security clearance? I only received a mass email from CPT MacDonald that said it might be delayed for those who just initiated security clearance process but other than that I didn't receive anything. I don't know what triggers "initiation" Can somebody clear this up for me?
I was pretty late to initiate the process, to what I'm assuming means submitting your SF86 docs to JARO and getting fingerprints done. I got an acknowledgment email from PSIP when I submitted these forms. Then when I submitted my fingerprints, I got another email from PSIP.

To quote from the Security Manager at JARO:

"Once your e-QIP and fingerprints have been submitted it will take approximately 15 days, provided there are zero corrections needed, to review, approve, and assign your packet for investigation: "Open Investigation." Once you are in the "open Investigation" stage you are actively being investigated. Within 1 to 6 months you should receive a call from an investigator to set-up your interview. Once your interview is completed your packet will be forwarded to the consolidated adjudicating facility (DODCAF). The DODCAF will adjudicate your case and grant the clearance. Once eligibility, clearance, has been granted you will receive an email with the specifics.

Please do not expect a weekly updates. The process is minimal contact. Normally, you are only contacted when there are corrections to be made to e-QIP submission, to setup the investigation interview, and after the final adjudication."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Active Duty Army (210th JAOBC)

I was pretty late to initiate the process, to what I'm assuming means submitting your SF86 docs to JARO and getting fingerprints done. I got an acknowledgment email from PSIP when I submitted these forms. Then when I submitted my fingerprints, I got another email from PSIP.

To quote from the Security Manager at JARO:

"Once your e-QIP and fingerprints have been submitted it will take approximately 15 days, provided there are zero corrections needed, to review, approve, and assign your packet for investigation: "Open Investigation." Once you are in the "open Investigation" stage you are actively being investigated. Within 1 to 6 months you should receive a call from an investigator to set-up your interview. Once your interview is completed your packet will be forwarded to the consolidated adjudicating facility (DODCAF). The DODCAF will adjudicate your case and grant the clearance. Once eligibility, clearance, has been granted you will receive an email with the specifics.

Please do not expect a weekly updates. The process is minimal contact. Normally, you are only contacted when there are corrections to be made to e-QIP submission, to setup the investigation interview, and after the final adjudication."

Literally did not do any of this. Should I be worried?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 am

Anonymous User wrote: Literally did not do any of this. Should I be worried?
If JARO hasn’t asked for your security forms to fill out and to snail mail in your birth certificate/transcripts/etc then I think you aren’t seated for the January 2020 class.

Cpt. MacDonald should have recently sent you an email stating whether you are missing any documentation to submit prior to January. I’m assuming those were only sent to those seated for the upcoming class.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”