Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
evilxs

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by evilxs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:18 pm

adonai wrote:
Dostoevsky wrote:
adonai wrote:Got a 3 hour interview coming up for AF OYCP. What could possibly be asked that could take 3 hours? I'd imagine the AF DAP interviews are much shorter. Is it cause OYCP is such a small program that they need 3 hours in order to differentiate all the candidates?
My AF DAP interview was 3 hours.
How does the interview work such that it takes that long?

Mine was longer than everyone else here. :shock:

The first time it took from 8:30am until 3:30pm.
The most recent interview, at a different AFB, I started at 10:00am and ended at 5:20pm.

bruinwang

New

Post by bruinwang » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:43 pm

PSH wrote:
target wrote:
PSH wrote:Hi 2L here. Applied to the Navy SP for the October Boards. Anyone hear anything yet?
Do we even know if they will call people or just change the status on the website?
According to the FAQ on the site people will be made aware through a status change and they will be called. My assumption is that the call will be made after the status change. They said around 8 weeks, which would be Dec. 7. But they have been quick throughout this process (at least for me) so I'd not be surprised if the status changes started rolling in this week or next week.
I called the office this afternoon, asking about a possible timeframe for results (because I was starting to get antsy as well). The LCDR who answered wasn't sure, but "anticipates that they'll be posted by mid-December." Hopefully that's just a conservative estimate, but looking through past posts in this thread, the release date seems to have been all over the place -- from a few weeks early to several weeks late -- so I can understand the hesitation to give a more solid answer.

PSH

New

Post by PSH » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:55 pm

bruinwang wrote:
I called the office this afternoon, asking about a possible timeframe for results (because I was starting to get antsy as well). The LCDR who answered wasn't sure, but "anticipates that they'll be posted by mid-December." Hopefully that's just a conservative estimate, but looking through past posts in this thread, the release date seems to have been all over the place -- from a few weeks early to several weeks late -- so I can understand the hesitation to give a more solid answer.
Well I'll probably be checking several times a day until then :(

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Someone familiar with the inner workings of Navy JAG will normally post on here when the committee is meeting to review applications. No such notification has been posted yet. It usually takes 1-2 weeks after that person posts. Based on what the accessions office just said, maybe we can infer that the committee hasn't met yet but is meeting next week?

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Active Duty 11/8/2012 Pending Board Decision
:D Now if only we would know sometime soon :sigh:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:10 pm

evilxs wrote:
adonai wrote:
Dostoevsky wrote:
adonai wrote:Got a 3 hour interview coming up for AF OYCP. What could possibly be asked that could take 3 hours? I'd imagine the AF DAP interviews are much shorter. Is it cause OYCP is such a small program that they need 3 hours in order to differentiate all the candidates?
My AF DAP interview was 3 hours.
How does the interview work such that it takes that long?

Mine was longer than everyone else here. :shock:

The most recent interview, at a different AFB, I started at 10:00am and ended at 5:20pm.
Please tell me you had 10 former careers to talk about. Otherwise I don't know why else an interview would be a whole day. I find social situations with even close friends exhausting if I'm talking 8 hours straight.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Just thought I would post this here - according to the AF JAG Recruiting Facebook page, the summer internship applications are up:
The United States Air Force JAG Corps 2013 Summer Intership Program application is now available between 28 November and 27 December 2012 on USAJobs.com. Just search "AF JAG Corps". If you are an interested 1L use this link:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/332227700
If you are an interested 2L use this link:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/332225900

All students will need to submit the following:

1. A Resume
2. A complete on-line Occupational Questionnaire
3. A one-page personal statement introducing the applicant and explaining his/her motivation and objectives in applying for a summer internship with the Air Force JAG Corps

dachillchick

New

Post by dachillchick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:15 am

Hi All!

Quick question. For the Air Force is JASOC only offered in February? There is a chance I may be pushed into the March COT and I can't find any information on when or whether another JASOC course is offered. Just curious from a timeline perspective. Thanks a lot!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 am

I've found the FY13 schedule, but it doesn't have JASOC anywhere on it. Could it have been renamed to JAOBC (Judge Advocate Officer's Basic Course)?

What are the exact dates for the February class? I could compare them to the dates for the JAOBC course to see if the course has just been renamed. The schedules for the previous two years listed JASOC, so I can't think of why it wouldn't be on the schedule for FY13.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:55 am

ScottRiqui wrote:I've found the FY13 schedule, but it doesn't have JASOC anywhere on it. Could it have been renamed to JAOBC (Judge Advocate Officer's Basic Course)?

What are the exact dates for the February class? I could compare them to the dates for the JAOBC course to see if the course has just been renamed. The schedules for the previous two years listed JASOC, so I can't think of why it wouldn't be on the schedule for FY13.
JAOBC is Army, JASOC is Air Force.

There are two JASOC classes for 2013 that I am aware of: Feb 2013 - April 2013 and July 2013 - September 2013.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:03 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:I've found the FY13 schedule, but it doesn't have JASOC anywhere on it. Could it have been renamed to JAOBC (Judge Advocate Officer's Basic Course)?

JAOBC is Army, JASOC is Air Force.

There are two JASOC classes for 2013 that I am aware of: Feb 2013 - April 2013 and July 2013 - September 2013.
Crap, that explains it. The 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 annual bulletins I found were Air Force, but the 2012-2013 bulletin I was looking at was Army, and I didn't notice the difference.

Here's (LinkRemoved) the correct bulletin. The only remaining JASOC course for FY13 is 8 Jul - 6 Sep, just like you said.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:03 am

According to the Air Force JAG recruiting Facebook page, there are 25 slots total for 1L and 2L internships! :?

megamanx

New

Post by megamanx » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:55 pm

bouakedojo wrote:According to the Air Force JAG recruiting Facebook page, there are 25 slots total for 1L and 2L internships! :?
That seems in line with last years numbers. On the bright side, competition should be slightly diminished since many people have already accepted their summer jobs and the application process is going on during finals.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bkenney2

New

Post by bkenney2 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 pm

The PLC board for the Marines went yesterday. Was anyone else on it? Good luck to those of you who were. Also, PM me if you wanna talk about stats, ect.

jagapplicant2012

New

Post by jagapplicant2012 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:22 pm

megamanx wrote:That seems in line with last years numbers. On the bright side, competition should be slightly diminished since many people have already accepted their summer jobs and the application process is going on during finals.
Really? For some reason, I thought it was 50 2L and 25 1L.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:29 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
megamanx wrote:That seems in line with last years numbers. On the bright side, competition should be slightly diminished since many people have already accepted their summer jobs and the application process is going on during finals.
Really? For some reason, I thought it was 50 2L and 25 1L.
Negative. 25 internship positions total for this year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 pm

adonai wrote:
evilxs wrote: Mine was longer than everyone else here. :shock:

Please tell me you had 10 former careers to talk about. Otherwise I don't know why else an interview would be a whole day. I find social situations with even close friends exhausting if I'm talking 8 hours straight.

Both AFB's indicated to me that they set aside the day for the interview. I found that to be the case when I interviewed. I would not call it a singular interview, but instead more like a panel. I met specifically and individually with Captains, Lt's, and of course the Colonel.

In between meetings I received a tour of the facility, tours of the base, lunch meeting with the staff, and one interview where I was prompted to ask any questions I had which would not be discussed/reported to the Colonel.

Each individual "interview" meeting indicated they would be writing a report about their interactions with me to the Colonel.

It is very intense, the interview itself was the singular most difficult I have ever been through. The questions were the normal ones peppered with unexpected land mines. The oral advocacy portion of the interview was not done by one base, but was by the second. Be prepared for this interview: this is not something you can wing.

I think it is fair to say it is a full day interview. The in between activities count. Everything you do say, how you walk, talk, hold yourself, etc are being judged. This is a dog and pony show. They want to see an officer when you walk through the door. That you have the look, mannerisms, intelligence, and leadership potential to be an Air Force officer. If you don't the next guy will. Don't be nervous. Be confident, but not cocky. Try meeting with a friend in the service and get tips.

target

Silver

Post by target » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:47 pm

evilxs wrote:
Both AFB's indicated to me that they set aside the day for the interview. I found that to be the case when I interviewed. I would not call it a singular interview, but instead more like a panel. I met specifically and individually with Captains, Lt's, and of course the Colonel.

In between meetings I received a tour of the facility, tours of the base, lunch meeting with the staff, and one interview where I was prompted to ask any questions I had which would not be discussed/reported to the Colonel.

Each individual "interview" meeting indicated they would be writing a report about their interactions with me to the Colonel.

It is very intense, the interview itself was the singular most difficult I have ever been through. The questions were the normal ones peppered with unexpected land mines. The oral advocacy portion of the interview was not done by one base, but was by the second. Be prepared for this interview: this is not something you can wing.

I think it is fair to say it is a full day interview. The in between activities count. Everything you do say, how you walk, talk, hold yourself, etc are being judged. This is a dog and pony show. They want to see an officer when you walk through the door. That you have the look, mannerisms, intelligence, and leadership potential to be an Air Force officer. If you don't the next guy will. Don't be nervous. Be confident, but not cocky. Try meeting with a friend in the service and get tips.
So is it fair to say that the interview is somewhat similar to a firm's call-back interview?

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:19 pm

evilxs wrote:The oral advocacy portion of the interview was not done by one base, but was by the second.
Can you describe this part of your interview? I have not heard of this before (nor some other parts of your experience, but this was the most surprising). I knew each SJA could do things differently, but after interviewing at 3 different bases, I would not have guessed an oral advocacy portion would be within the range of possibilities.

thekc7

New

Post by thekc7 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Just a curiosity question for those in the Army JAG Corps: Why are Fort Carson and Fort Lewis so popular? I've noticed that they are in the "big 6" where you're only allowed to choose one for your assignment list.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 pm

target wrote:
evilxs wrote:

So is it fair to say that the interview is somewhat similar to a firm's call-back interview?
I would say harder. Firms ask predictable questions. A tough SJA is going to ask questions that will leave you sitting there going aw shit and formulating the best answer you can within mere moments. I am an older student with a solid decade of relevant work experience. I've had many interviews in my time, and this one definitely trumps them all. I feel honored to have had the opportunity. If nothing else, I will never fear an interview. I can confidently say I have been put through the paces and ultimately enjoyed the experience.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 pm

howell wrote:
evilxs wrote:The oral advocacy portion of the interview was not done by one base, but was by the second.
Can you describe this part of your interview? I have not heard of this before (nor some other parts of your experience, but this was the most surprising). I knew each SJA could do things differently, but after interviewing at 3 different bases, I would not have guessed an oral advocacy portion would be within the range of possibilities.
Actually, I am not the only one here who had this experience. Somewhere in this 147 page thread a gentleman talked about having an interview like mine. I knew it was possible going in, but I really was not prepared for when he turned to me and unleashed that. LOL

I recovered, but I had a moment of oh goodness that just happened. Go time!

It was like moot court competition if you have ever participated, but without the preparation. I was given a fact scenario, the controlling law and asked to argue my position on his prompted questions. After the argument, I was asked a few more prompts from the same facts. It was basically on the spot instantaneous oral advocacy. I win competitions all of the time, but this was tough. I feel like I definitely did nowhere near as well as I do in competition, or even in real life. I currently prepare and argue real court cases as I am licensed to practice as a student under my state's laws. I am sure it is very helpful to the SJA to see performance under extreme pressure, but wow that is just brutal. In the middle of an interview in the 6th hour? In the real world we have time to prepare for court. I think he'd see more of what a potential candidate is capable of if he gave the prompt with even just one night warning. Hell then I'd have blown it out of the water. That is what real lawyering is: preparation and advocacy.

I hope that helps? I'll try to find the post in this thread where the other guy had to give an oral argument. SJA's use them to help write better letters of recommendation.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:03 pm

thekc7 wrote:Just a curiosity question for those in the Army JAG Corps: Why are Fort Carson and Fort Lewis so popular? I've noticed that they are in the "big 6" where you're only allowed to choose one for your assignment list.

I have been on Fort Carson.

It is one of the nicest Army bases, and has an amazing location.

If I get the JAG offer from the Army, it would be tops on my list.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:03 pm

evilxs wrote:
adonai wrote:
evilxs wrote: Mine was longer than everyone else here. :shock:

Holy. Shit.

I've worked in three different legal offices if you include the internship and I have never seen anything like that.

Thank God I snuck in under the wire a few years ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”