District Attorney's Offices 2020

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
siriusblack503

New

District Attorney's Offices 2020

Postby siriusblack503 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Just wanted to get this group started - I'm applying to Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk (NY), Suffolk (MA), Cook County, Philly and Miami-Dade. Anyone have any other suggestions of locations that take 3L applications?

Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney's Offices 2020

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Not as large some of the offices you mentioned (we have about 150 criminal prosecutors) but King County (Seattle) is hiring.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ ... FOy5dNqiFY

Mr. December

New

Postby Mr. December » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Current ADA in Wisconsin. Governor recently signed a new budget allocating funding for a significant number of new ADA positions. If anyone is interested in moving to Wisconsin, there should be quite a few openings in the coming months.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not as large some of the offices you mentioned (we have about 150 criminal prosecutors) but King County (Seattle) is hiring.

Do you take applications from 3Ls?

teresa0816

New

Postby teresa0816 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Middlesex (MA) takes 3L applications.

RCalifornia

New

Postby RCalifornia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:19 am

Submitted some applications to the Metro NY offices. As far as Nassau and Suffolk (NY), is one more prestigious or well respected than the other?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:34 pm

I applied to Bronx (first round only), Brooklyn (completed second round, waiting), and NYC (first round this week); then Philly. Searching for more offices, looking for suggestions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:06 pm

So far I have applied to Cook County( Round 1 at a job fair this summer, rejected 9/26) Bronx (rejected after round 2, 1 week after round 2), Brooklyn (had round 3 9/12), NYC Law Department (second round 9/11, Queens( Round 1 at a job fair this summer).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not as large some of the offices you mentioned (we have about 150 criminal prosecutors) but King County (Seattle) is hiring.

Do you take applications from 3Ls?

he normal pipeline is through the 2L summer intern (Rule 9) program. Other than that, you'd need to be licensed or at least in the process of transferring in from another UBE state. That said, if you're licensed here, coming in as a contract prosecutor is very possible. We've had more openings that ever historically.

FutureADA2020

New

Postby FutureADA2020 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 am

I know the hiring in Philly is very arbitrary under the new DA Krasner - Philly used to follow the traditional first round with one or two Adas, then panel, then meet the DA 3rd round.

Now, Krasner and his top circle make all the decisions without input from most of the office. I interned at the office for three years (two hired under previous DAs) I had great reviews and recommendations and even had a high level ADA specifically put a word in.

I was not offered an interview. There are also several news articles were Krasner has stated his interest in finding people outside of philly with progressive views. One article stated he spoke to a student in the hall way at a recruiting event, and was so impressed after 5 minutes that he offered him a job on the spot.

Advice: to the extent you can highlight your interest in criminal justice reform, or specifically praise Larry Krasner for his views and policies - you'll be in better shape. It also helps if you come from a higher ranked school with solid grades as he has referred to local philadelphia schools as "the B team" lol

Anyone have any insight on Cook County, Bronx, Brooklyn, Suffolk (MA), or Middlesex - in terms of where they are in the hiring process, what types of candidates they are looking for, etc.

Thanks and good luck everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:55 am

What above poster is describing is something that's afflicting both ADA and PD offices across the country, especially in urban cities and/or along the coast. There's a mentality at the top that only outsiders can make the justice system more progressive or woke, so they're hiring non-locals heavily, especially those from elite schools.

I've noticed this happening very much in the pacific northwest. It used to be that 80% of the new ADA or PD hires were people who had interned with the office or had local connections (raised in the area, college, law school, etc.). Now it's about 50 to 75% outsiders. They'll often offer an applicant from the outside (usually someone who is book smart and trial dumb) over a proven local candidate. And for the most part, the outsiders are breaking down and trying to rebuild the system (often with little to no practical understanding; one of the recent HYS hires wrote a memo his first week about how to reform the local court system, except that he was recommending things we'd been doing for years already).

FutureADA2020

New

Postby FutureADA2020 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What above poster is describing is something that's afflicting both ADA and PD offices across the country, especially in urban cities and/or along the coast. There's a mentality at the top that only outsiders can make the justice system more progressive or woke, so they're hiring non-locals heavily, especially those from elite schools.

I've noticed this happening very much in the pacific northwest. It used to be that 80% of the new ADA or PD hires were people who had interned with the office or had local connections (raised in the area, college, law school, etc.). Now it's about 50 to 75% outsiders. They'll often offer an applicant from the outside (usually someone who is book smart and trial dumb) over a proven local candidate. And for the most part, the outsiders are breaking down and trying to rebuild the system (often with little to no practical understanding; one of the recent HYS hires wrote a memo his first week about how to reform the local court system, except that he was recommending things we'd been doing for years already).

That's spot on. The students from these schools with little trial experience have these large aspirations with little knowledge of the day-to-day duties of the job...... but they are using it like their teach for america / peace corp before heading to the big firms after a year or two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:51 pm

It's quite frustrating. It creates this cycle where there's constant turnover as these elite outsiders realize they can't hack it as a trial attorney, which puts more responsibility on the rest of us who actually want to be doing trial work. Offices like that are constantly shedding new ADAs/PDs, morale is low and burnout is very real. The only good news is that the hiring and training is so dysfunctional that there will be a lot of openings that eventually go to the right candidates.

thefuturewoods

New

Postby thefuturewoods » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Applied to Westchester and Bronx in May and Brooklyn through OCI. Dinged at the Bronx after 1st round, completed 1st round at WC and they asked for a form to complete a background check, 2nd round at Brooklyn on the 31st.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:22 am

Rejected Bronx on Monday after second round on Friday--I've never been so happy to get a rejection. Interview (Sherry Cohen) was possibly the rudest and most unprofessional interviewer I've ever had.
Waiting on Philly from OCI for local school. Has anyone heard?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rejected Bronx on Monday after second round on Friday--I've never been so happy to get a rejection. Interview (Sherry Cohen) was possibly the rudest and most unprofessional interviewer I've ever had.

Also rejected by Bronx, after first-round OCI. The interviewer was so unprofessional that I find myself wondering if I was rejected just so the details of my interview wouldn't make their way back to the office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejected Bronx on Monday after second round on Friday--I've never been so happy to get a rejection. Interview (Sherry Cohen) was possibly the rudest and most unprofessional interviewer I've ever had.

Also rejected by Bronx, after first-round OCI. The interviewer was so unprofessional that I find myself wondering if I was rejected just so the details of my interview wouldn't make their way back to the office.

Above poster. I'm so glad I'm not the only one, but sorry for your experience, too!

thefuturewoods

New

Postby thefuturewoods » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Above poster. I'm so glad I'm not the only one, but sorry for your experience, too!

Had her for my first round Bronx and I sobbed the second I got to my car! I've never felt remotely bad after an interview in my life. She literally told me I asked bad questions and performed poorly on the hypo (which I knew - I had 24 hours notice before the interview and hadn't studied 4A yet). So sorry to hear this is a common thing though

exhaustedlawstudent

New

Postby exhaustedlawstudent » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Just to give some info on my interview process thus far. Brooklyn DA's Office--1st interview (OCI) on September 9th, 2nd interview on October 10th, still waiting to here back about 3rd. NY County--1st interview (OCI) on September 28, upcoming second interview next week. Will update post in the near future.

tireddddd3l

New

Postby tireddddd3l » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:48 pm

This is how mine has gone so far for the Miami-Dade SAO: Resume collection via simplicity early summer 19 --> Letter in the mail saying I have been selected to interview late september --> Skype interview mid October (I'm an out of state applicant), it was almost an hours worth of hypotheticals... --> received another letter made 10/30 saying I've been selected to move on to interview with the executive committee. Now I'm just waiting to speak with the recruitment coordinator regarding scheduling.

Anyone else going through this process atm?
-------
(I've also applied to other FL SAO but haven't heard back, and got my app in the last day for Brooklyn NYC online...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 pm

I applied to Bronx, Manhattan, and Suffolk (MA).

Did screeners for all three around the second week of September. Both Bronx and Manhattan told me during my screener I'd be moving on to the panels. Had Bronx panel earlier this week and was told moving on to third round with DA within an hour after panel, and had Manhattan panel this week but haven't heart yet. Have Suffolk panel next week.

Does anyone have any insight how long after panel in Manhattan is typical before a third round?

Return to “Public Interest & Government�