Hm?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby im_blue » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:54 pm

gymboree wrote:This is ridiculous you guys!!! <i>I have a 166.</i> <b>I HAVE A 166 </b>and am absolutely thrilled to have it. So would 93-94% of the rest of the LSAT taking world!!!!

Buck up. Take a full ride at a 15-30 (and be thrilled you did, 3 years from now). Write a good personal statement. Get a graduate degree. Do something worthwhile during the wait rather than bitching on TLS -- volunteer, teach, start a company, get involved in <i>something</i>/. If you don't think your LSAT + GPA are getting you in to the T14, then it's more than the LSAT score that's wrong with your application package. And it started years ago.

But - jeez - get some perspective and get some positive vibes going.

/positive rant.


So it's ridiculous to lament one's mediocre chances at a T14, given that lower T14's and even CCN are getting killed in OCI this year? I think you're the one who needs some perspective. :roll:

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:21 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
gymboree wrote:This is ridiculous you guys!!! <i>I have a 166.</i> <b>I HAVE A 166 </b>and am absolutely thrilled to have it. So would 93-94% of the rest of the LSAT taking world!!!!

Buck up. Take a full ride at a 15-30 (and be thrilled you did, 3 years from now). Write a good personal statement. Get a graduate degree. Do something worthwhile during the wait rather than bitching on TLS -- volunteer, teach, start a company, get involved in <i>something</i>/. If you don't think your LSAT + GPA are getting you in to the T14, then it's more than the LSAT score that's wrong with your application package. And it started years ago.

But - jeez - get some perspective and get some positive vibes going.

/positive rant.


I am also pleased with my 166, but I don't believe it will get me a full ride at a 15-30 even with my 4.0. In that range I applied to U of Illinois, Alabama and Wake Forest so hopefully one of them will love me.



You should get a full ride to Alabama. If not, you'll be really close and can probably negotiate your way up if you commit to attend.

User avatar
erico
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 am

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby erico » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:57 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:This post is in memory of the score that screwed my life over.

I took the LSAT despite not being 100 percent sure that I was ready.

I did moderately well-ish, so I have a good chance of dropping, but not anywhere near enough to get me into the t-14, especially being a white non-URM.

Who else got a 166 OR thinks it completely sucks?


I got a 166 and yes, I would rather have a 175. I started studying with very high expectations for myself (170's) but wasn't able to achieve those due, frankly, to a lack of time. Studying for two months (was pretty lazy the first month) whilst working full time, my best PT was a 159 two days before the Sept. LSAT. Well somehow I got a 166. I'm happy because I'm reasonably confident it will get me into BYU but I'm very likely locked out of USC and UCLA, two schools that I really want. Even with my work and service experience and being a somewhat unique engineering BSEE, I think my 3.3 GPA is holding me back. It will be interesting to see what happens. I know if I study more and retake I can boost my LSAT but don't really want to put off school for another year.

In short, even though my 166 won't get my into the top schools, I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's fine to be unsatisfied. Some people have very high expectations for themselves. Just because these people did better than others doesn't mean they're jerks.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby Cupidity » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm

erico wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:This post is in memory of the score that screwed my life over.

I took the LSAT despite not being 100 percent sure that I was ready.

I did moderately well-ish, so I have a good chance of dropping, but not anywhere near enough to get me into the t-14, especially being a white non-URM.

Who else got a 166 OR thinks it completely sucks?


I got a 166 and yes, I would rather have a 175. I started studying with very high expectations for myself (170's) but wasn't able to achieve those due, frankly, to a lack of time. Studying for two months (was pretty lazy the first month) whilst working full time, my best PT was a 159 two days before the Sept. LSAT. Well somehow I got a 166. I'm happy because I'm reasonably confident it will get me into BYU but I'm very likely locked out of USC and UCLA, two schools that I really want. Even with my work and service experience and being a somewhat unique engineering BSEE, I think my 3.3 GPA is holding me back. It will be interesting to see what happens. I know if I study more and retake I can boost my LSAT but don't really want to put off school for another year.

In short, even though my 166 won't get my into the top schools, I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's fine to be unsatisfied. Some people have very high expectations for themselves. Just because these people did better than others doesn't mean they're jerks.


Eww. BYU

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby JazzOne » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:13 pm

I don't understand all the moralistic whining in this thread. I think 174 sucks. Sure, it's top 1%, but it's down near the bottom of the top percent. Perspective is definitely key.

Oh, and one more thing. Of course the plaintiff can't remove!!!! Silver got me with the ol' federal counterclaim trap. FML!!!!

cindytran872
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:58 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby cindytran872 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:10 pm

[...]
Last edited by cindytran872 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:33 pm

I am pretty happy with my score. I too think it's fine to be unsatisfied but its also fine to accept your score as it is.

I took the LSAT in a foreign language, I couldn't attend prep courses, I had to buy the books over the Internet, I had to travel over 8 hours on the only date available to take it in the only city of my country where it was administered; and I got 6 points over my practice tests.

I am not thrilled to have a 166 but honestly I won't do any better until LSAC administers the test in Spanish and I cant wait that long to go lo law school.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:39 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:I am pretty happy with my score. I too think it's fine to be unsatisfied but its also fine to accept your score as it is.

I took the LSAT in a foreign language, I couldn't attend prep courses, I had to buy the books over the Internet, I had to travel over 8 hours on the only date available to take it in the only city of my country where it was administered; and I got 6 points over my practice tests.

I am not thrilled to have a 166 but honestly I won't do any better until LSAC administers the test in Spanish and I cant wait that long to go lo law school.



TITCR. I wish everyone else had this attitude.

I hate it when people are overcome with their own insecurities and start criticizing other people for having more demanding standards than they do. A 166 is good score, and anyone with it should be proud. But don't yell at someone else because that isn't good enough for them. Mind your own damn business and apply to the schools that make you happy
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aad
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:49 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby aad » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:45 pm

I found a profile of an applicant on LSN a few years back who got into NYU with a 166

However, they had a 4.0 from an Ivy UG so they were a reverse-splitter

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby lawhawk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:47 pm

traehekat wrote:I wouldn't even say that a 166 is an AWKWARD score. Look at the medians! Yes, you are probably locked out of the T14 with a 166, but there are plenty of schools to target, like Illinois, Emory, Boston College, Boston University, George Washington, Notre Dame, Fordham, William and Mary, Texas, USC, Washington-Missouri, etc. They all have median LSAT scores of 167, 166, and 165.

163, on the other hand, is kind of an awkward score. Lots of schools with 161 medians and 165 medians, but not too many with 163. Colorado? American? George Mason?

So yes, a 166 sucks if you were aiming for T14 (but isn't everyone?). Relatively speaking, however, it is extremely good and it is a score that will give you a solid shot at almost EVERY T30 school outside of T14.



166 seems to low for all of the best schools, but a little too high for all of the others.

you are dead on about 163

b.j.
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:06 am

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby b.j. » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:55 am

dextermorgan wrote:A 166 is one of those scores that are higher than you need for many schools (a 164 will serve you well at a lot of T30) but too low for T14.

In conclusion, it sucks.


Two things.

1. Isn't it better to be at the top of the class at a school outside the T14 but still inside the T50 than to be near the middle, or worse yet, at the bottom of a class inside the T14? I mean, I have a friend who is at New York Law School but ranked within the top five--as in people, not percent--and he's working, last I checked, at law firm in the Top 30 on the Vault list. One important factor, of course, is the location of the school, but still, isn't there a greater chance at the good life by being at the top of a slightly less prestigious school than there is by being outside the top at the best schools?

2. On a slightly less related note, are a lot of the schools you describe LSAT whores? Is a school more likely to let you in unless you're a sex offender or something if your school is higher than their 75th the lower down the the list you go?

User avatar
Borachio05
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 am

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby Borachio05 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:00 am

I'd kill for a 166!!!

You people make me sick...with jealousy ;)

Good luck on your apps

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:04 am

The only reason I even saw this post is because it showed up on the front page...

I got a 162, and was happy with it.

I am now at UoC... I like to think of my 1L year as a detour, and my 2L/3L years as the real experience;)

So, a low score is not the end of the world. However, when I was applying for law schools, I figured "eh, if I don't get in to Wisconsin, I'll see if I can go to Chicago as my fallback..." so you folks have more information than I did. I certainly don't recommend following the "settle with your score and look to transfer" method that I took.

My advice--if you aren't happy with your score, retake. That said, saying a 166 sucks is akin to saying that going to any law school aside from the T14 sucks. Depending on the calculus you're making (biglaw or bust, for example,) that perspective may be appropriate, and you shouldn't shy away from admitting that. Pay for a prep course, do a decent amount of studying, and do as well as you can on the thing, and make a decision from there.

Just be aware that the vast majority of people would kill for a 166! (166 is what, 93rd percentile or something?)

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 am

Luis Gomez wrote:I am pretty happy with my score. I too think it's fine to be unsatisfied but its also fine to accept your score as it is.

I took the LSAT in a foreign language, I couldn't attend prep courses, I had to buy the books over the Internet, I had to travel over 8 hours on the only date available to take it in the only city of my country where it was administered; and I got 6 points over my practice tests.

I am not thrilled to have a 166 but honestly I won't do any better until LSAC administers the test in Spanish and I cant wait that long to go lo law school.


Why would they ever administer the LSAT in Spanish? A 166 is impressive, esp when you English is not your native language.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:15 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:I am pretty happy with my score. I too think it's fine to be unsatisfied but its also fine to accept your score as it is.

I took the LSAT in a foreign language, I couldn't attend prep courses, I had to buy the books over the Internet, I had to travel over 8 hours on the only date available to take it in the only city of my country where it was administered; and I got 6 points over my practice tests.

I am not thrilled to have a 166 but honestly I won't do any better until LSAC administers the test in Spanish and I cant wait that long to go lo law school.


Why would they ever administer the LSAT in Spanish? A 166 is impressive, esp when you English is not your native language.


I doubt LSAC ever will, but looking at the demographics and the fact that puerto rico has two accredited schools one day the might have an equivalent if only for this two schools.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby gdane » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:51 pm

8)
Last edited by gdane on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby Cupidity » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:54 pm

gdane5 wrote:You people are ridiculous. Really.

I studied so hard nonstop for the September test and got a 154. I took 32 PT's, used the Bibles and ate, slept and felt well. I WOULD KILL FOR A 166!

I retook this December and I still dont feel overly confident I hit the 160 I originally hoped I would get.

Forget about a T14 school. It isnt the end of the world. Going to a T14 school doesnt guarantee success nor does not going to a T14 school spell failure and disaster. I know tons of people that went to schools like Florida, George Mason and even Penn State that are very successful now.

If you dont want that 166 I'll take it. If not then shush please. Be thankful that you aren't me, someone that studied so hard and has a 154 to show for it. haha.


I like my 166, but I have a 159 from June that I can give you.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:55 pm

gdane5 wrote:You people are ridiculous. Really.

I studied so hard nonstop for the September test and got a 154. I took 32 PT's, used the Bibles and ate, slept and felt well. I WOULD KILL FOR A 166!

I retook this December and I still dont feel overly confident I hit the 160 I originally hoped I would get.

Forget about a T14 school. It isnt the end of the world. Going to a T14 school doesnt guarantee success nor does not going to a T14 school spell failure and disaster. I know tons of people that went to schools like Florida, George Mason and even Penn State that are very successful now.

If you dont want that 166 I'll take it. If not then shush please. Be thankful that you aren't me, someone that studied so hard and has a 154 to show for it. haha.


1. i am not surprised at your lsat score given your failure to comprehend the most basic implications of this website's title. wtf did you think "top law schools" implied?!

2. some people are smarter than you are. just because you'd "kill for a 166," doesn't mean other people have to feel that way.

nothing irks me more than people self-righteously passing judgement on others.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby gdane » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:59 pm

.
Last edited by gdane on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby bloodonthetracks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:04 pm

talibkweli wrote:
gdane5 wrote:You people are ridiculous. Really.

I studied so hard nonstop for the September test and got a 154. I took 32 PT's, used the Bibles and ate, slept and felt well. I WOULD KILL FOR A 166!

I retook this December and I still dont feel overly confident I hit the 160 I originally hoped I would get.

Forget about a T14 school. It isnt the end of the world. Going to a T14 school doesnt guarantee success nor does not going to a T14 school spell failure and disaster. I know tons of people that went to schools like Florida, George Mason and even Penn State that are very successful now.

If you dont want that 166 I'll take it. If not then shush please. Be thankful that you aren't me, someone that studied so hard and has a 154 to show for it. haha.


1. i am not surprised at your lsat score given your failure to comprehend the most basic implications of this website's title. wtf did you think "top law schools" implied?!

2. some people are smarter than you are. just because you'd "kill for a 166," doesn't mean other people have to feel that way.

nothing irks me more than people self-righteously passing judgement on others.


"nothing irks me more than people self-righteously passing judgement on others"

first, you spelled judgment incorrectly, unless you're in the UK, which I can fairly assume you are not. (that word might be important for law school.) second, you yourself are "self-righteously passing [judgment] on others" by telling this person that "smart" equates closely with LSAT success. this MIGHT be true to a certain extent (if we accept that there is a coherent definition for "smart" and that standardized tests indicate "smartness"), but there's no doubt that you are being self-righteous and passing judgment.

so you should be irked by yourself.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:22 pm

talibkweli wrote:
1. i am not surprised at your lsat score given your failure to comprehend the most basic implications of this website's title. wtf did you think "top law schools" implied?!

2. some people are smarter than you are. just because you'd "kill for a 166," doesn't mean other people have to feel that way.

nothing irks me more than people self-righteously passing judgement on others.


Don't your 1st and 3rd points somewhat contradict eachother?

Furthermore, "top law schools" is a relative term and this is the mission statement of TLS taken directly from the front page:

"Welcome to Top-Law-Schools.com, a free and valuable resource to assist students applying to law schools. Top-Law-Schools.com offers 2010 law school rankings, exclusive law school profiles, advice for writing law school personal statements, and a law school forum. Furthermore, Top-Law-Schools.com has several articles offering more detailed law school rankings and discussions.

Top-Law-Schools.com was created by Ken De Leon, a graduate of UC Berkeley's Boalt Hall Law School, to provide you with the necessary information to successfully navigate you through the law school application process and find the ideal law school, so that your next three years can be as rewarding and enjoyable as possible."


No where does it indicate a particular LSAT score for the "honor" to enter and discuss/debate topics with other TLSers. So to answer your question, TLS implies a lot of things, including the freedom to comment on a pompous thread title.
Last edited by GATORTIM on Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:25 pm

.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby bloodonthetracks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:31 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
talibkweli wrote:
1. i am not surprised at your lsat score given your failure to comprehend the most basic implications of this website's title. wtf did you think "top law schools" implied?!

2. some people are smarter than you are. just because you'd "kill for a 166," doesn't mean other people have to feel that way.

nothing irks me more than people self-righteously passing judgement on others.


Don't your 1st and 3rd points somewhat contradict eachother?

Furthermore, "top law schools" is a relative term and this is the mission statement of TLS taken directly from the front page:

"Welcome to Top-Law-Schools.com, a free and valuable resource to assist students applying to law schools. Top-Law-Schools.com offers 2010 law school rankings, exclusive law school profiles, advice for writing law school personal statements, and a law school forum. Furthermore, Top-Law-Schools.com has several articles offering more detailed law school rankings and discussions.

Top-Law-Schools.com was created by Ken De Leon, a graduate of UC Berkeley's Boalt Hall Law School, to provide you with the necessary information to successfully navigate you through the law school application process and find the ideal law school, so that your next three years can be as rewarding and enjoyable as possible."


No where does it indicate a particular LSAT score for the "honor" to enter and discuss/debate topics with other TLSers. So to answer your question, TLS implies a lot of things, including the freedom to comment on a pompous thread title.


I agree with this. Though I would call the thread title provocative rather than outright pompous.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby keg411 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:35 pm

I want a 166 :(

akarmenia1
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Postby akarmenia1 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Are we really supposed to feel sorry for someone who PT'ed at a 159 and got a 166?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Baidu [Spider], cherrygalore, SweetTort and 15 guests